April 2019 Moms
Options

daycare/childcare

I did a quick search and didn't find a thread dedicated to this subject. please ask your daycare/childcare related questions here!

Re: daycare/childcare

• Options
    batmama31batmama31 member
    edited January 2019
    although my husband and I are not active duty, we are government contractors working on a military installation, so we are eligible to use the base daycares. (my 4yo has been in base daycare since he was a year old. my husband put us on a wait-list about halfway thru my pregnancy w/ him, and we miraculously got placed right at his 1-year birthday) we're currently wait-listed for the 3 main child development centers, and one in-home daycare. but b/c we're contractors, we are last on the priority list, meaning all open spots are filled by active duty families first.

so I'm trying to get a backup plan in place, in case we don't get placed on base. but I'm having a hell of a time researching anything online! how do you research daycares?? word of mouth? do you just have to physically tour any one you come across? is there some certified database that I'm unaware of?? help, please :(
  • Options

@batmama31 I took the online reviews of daycares with a grain of salt as it's not that common to find the positive reviews for some reason. What I did was a combo of word-of-mouth and googling what was around me. I called a handful of centers that interested me, and based on those phone calls and the vibe I got, made a decision whether or not to tour.

The one I ended up selecting encouraged me to come tour at my discretion rather than a scheduled tour, which is honestly the best case scenario, and I would not pick a daycare without touring it - that's just me.

Daycares are rated with a star system in my state, you can go to your state's government website or google the rating system in your area if you need a place to start :)

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ditto what PP said. I would also look at joining any FB groups that promote daycares. We have several for the area that I live in and that's how I found our daycare. 
  • Options
    Also ditto PP. We didn’t have anyone to ask for word of mouth advice (the one or two people I know with children where we currently live use nannies and we’ll be the first of our local friends to have a baby). I spent a lot of time online researching centers near us first, while DH reviewed our state’s and city’s policies about registered in home centers. We emailed and called around to get information about tuition, policies, hours, waitlists, etc. and then set up tours based on those that we were most interested in. 

The daycare that we are currently on the waitlist for is opening next month, but is part of a company that has a number of centers in our area. It’s kind of cookie cutter, but they seem to have the daycare game on lock. Plus it’s like 3 blocks from our building and near the train that DH and I use for work. 
  • Options
    kaitykinskaitykins member
    edited January 2019
    Where I live if we paid for childcare it would be almost as much as I make in a day to pay for a day. So I work some from home and switch shifts with my hubs when I need to be in without my 3yr old in tow. (I project manage some paint-maintenance at the conference center we live and work at.) 
  • Options
    Also if the choice applies. Pick a center closer to home then work. 

I know most most would think about being close by. But DD hates the car and there were days I took off or worked from home where I would had to drive way out of the way to bring her to daycare
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    As you look at daycares, please remember to also look at their licensing and any violations they have.  Where I live social services has a website where you can see complaints and also see the results of annual and surprise visits. You really learn a lot from these about a day care. 

I second the advice on picking one close to home. Jobs change and move but finding new daycares can be hard. Plus if you travel or get sick for a week it’s easier for your spouse to do drop offs and pickups. 
  • Options
    thanks, everyone. I did find a website that looks to be managed by my state's DHS. @saucentoss, it does provide results of inspections/audits, and the corrective actions implemented. I have already weeded out a couple daycares based on these notes. @sheknows6, and this site does have a star rating system. I'm only looking at 3 stars (is that the highest ranking??) 

@kosmo86 & @saucentoss, I appreciate the advice about choosing a facility close to home, but we live in tornado alley, so on those few spring days when we get the word to leave early due to bad storms, we need to get to our kids fast, which is why we'd prefer closer to work. also, we don't live in a great part of town (lots of low-income apartments) so while I admittedly haven't even looked at daycares in our neighborhood, I just have very low expectations on what I would find in my area.  :/

the DHS website is a great start, though. I've already found a daycare nearby that I'm going to arrange a tour with. thank you, everyone!
  • Options

@batmama31 I'll be honest, I don't know if the star rating is national or state so it could be different for you, but in NC it's a 1-5 star system. 5 being the highest/best - I took this from our state's page but it may be helpful for you:

"It's also a good idea to visit your local Child Care Resource and Referral Agency (CCR&R). Child Care Services Association, which is a nationally recognized nonprofit agency working to ensure affordable, accessible, high-quality child care to all families, provides child-care resource and referral services to the Triangle."

Me: 32 / DH: 33
    DD born: 3/31/19

• Options
    @batmama31 Does your state have a quality rating system for child care centers? In SC, we have the ABC Quality rating system for child care. Centers are not necessarily required to participate in the rating system so there are some great centers out there that may not be on the list, but going by their quality grades can help you narrow down the list of daycares to choose from.
  • Options
    SAHMs, if you will be using optional childcare, when will you start?
    My ob recommeded waiting 12 weeks if childcare is optional, from an infectious disease standpoint, but recommended asking my pediatrician instead of her.
    The church I go to pushes for infants to be in childcare from 6 weeks old during adult small group and because I may not want to put DD in so early, I want to tell them "my doctor says..." as a legitimate excuse to keep her with me. :-) What do y'alls doctors say or recommend?
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery   I think you can absolutely use "the doctor says…"  just based on what your OB has told you.   Also, I am a psychologist so I'm not that kind of doctor, but I always tell my patients that the most important thing with any sort of child care is that you feel completely comfortable with it.  Otherwise it's too stressful for mom and baby.
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery - your baby your rules! 
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    @mighty_montgomery I mean this in the nicest way but to hell with that rule. There is NO ONE that tells me/DH what to do with OUR kids. And truthfully, this goes for parents, IL's, siblings, church members, etc. My dad and MIL have had to learn this as they tried to tell us what to do numerous times (usually regarding bedtime) and it didn't fly with me.

Ditto PP who said to check with your state's website on daycares. But also beware, no daycare is perfect. If they have a write up because they didn't have a certain document (but were able to get it stat), that's one thing. If they are dinged because they didn't have safe sleep arrangements for all the kids, that's a different point. 
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery my church kept asking when I was going to put DD in the nursery, but not in a pushy way. I kept her with me until she was like 8mos? I think? She was born in April so it wasn’t flu season at least, but she was nursing primarily and didn’t take bottles so I’d just slip out to the nursing mothers room whenever needed. They have a screen in there for watching the sermon. We also had a measles outbreak recently in town and you can bet I didn’t put her in the nursery, since she hadn’t had her mmr booster. 

Otherwise we are so fortunate to have SIL in town to babysit. She works retail so she gets exposed to a lot of germs but it hasn’t been a problem really. 
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery

Keep baby with you as long as you like. My church offers childcare from newborn+ but would never do more than let the folks know it’s available. Some people never use it and others use it as soon as possible. 

Anyway, at 6 weeks baby is still pretty chill and quiet. Time for your church to learn about being flexible? Probably nobody will bother you. 

I tend to to use the moby  style wrap to keep baby comfy during church and away from those germs 🦠 and then I often go to the side room they have with a video of the service to nurse but I could do it in the worship center too. 
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery DD has been with me since birth in services, but I don’t go to any breakout groups (nor does it offer a staffed nursery at any time other than services). We exit the service if I can’t quickly quiet her, though she doesn’t trust the nursery staff at all, but make it through the hour most of the time.

if I were to be attending additional bible studies, choir practice, or meetings of some sort, DH would keep her at home, or when less than 6 months, she’d stay with me in a babywrap. Or, y’know, I’d consider whether it’s really important to me to be in choir this year instead of next (answer: no, even though I miss it). While I understand that the smaller groups can find the baby more disruptive, I very firmly believe that children are a vital part of church life and shouldn’t be hidden away during worship. I still find worship centering, even though it’s not as meditative as it used to be.

I would discuss with the small group leader the rationale behind the request and the philosophical approach to children in church...and even consider requesting a young family small group that is open to babies being present.