July 2019 Moms
Options

FFFC 1.25.19

CONFESS!!!! Deepest darkest pregnancy or what not sins, lets go ;)

Re: FFFC 1.25.19

• Options
    edited January 2019
    OK, this is more like soapboxing, but here goes: I HATE when people misuse the word "ignorant." Ignorance means a lack of knowledge. It has nothing to do with being prejudiced, thinking you know more than you do, or "ignoring the facts." For example, I saw a meme the other day that said, "Don't use the word 'gay' to mean 'stupid.' It's ignorant." No, it's not ignorant, unless you truly have no idea how using "gay" in that context can be offensive.
    I would complain about how so many people are ignorant to the true meaning of "ignorant," but the misuse of a word is not ignorance, either. GAAH.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'm so dang tired of the media blowing everything way out of proportion and giving false/half truths on both sides. I've already cut off most of the news sites on my FB because of it (we don't have cable so no problem there).
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    @nopegoat I had to stop reading local news and google news because the sensationalism is seriously anxiety inducing. I only allow myself Reuters now and it's so boring I hardly ever look beyond the first few headlines. 
  • Options
    @nopegoat @mamanbebe Same here. I try to keep current, but I mute the evening news when anything political comes on and I scroll past certain headlines and words. (News360 is a good app that allows you to block any sources you don't want to see. The browser version also lets you click a dropdown next to the headline so you can see headlines on the same story from other sources--basically, it lets you see how other outlets are interpreting the same story.)
    I was *thisclose* to pursuing a career in journalism when a poorly-sourced, years-old, overblown scandal from my hometown made national headlines and complete strangers were picketing outside my old high school. I told myself the media didn't deserve someone like me. I'm part of the problem, I guess.
  • Options
    Another almost news free momma. I just can't stomach it. I figure if it's important, it will end up on People.com ;)

I saw this yesterday and it's exactly how I feel about reporting. I think his messages applies to journalists on both sides of the fence. The reporting differences between Fox and CNN are so wildly different. I have found the truth is usually somewhere in between, but as a reader, you need to do the research to figure out which facts are omitted or misconstrued. 

Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    hakelehakele member
    edited January 2019
    If you have Instagram, I highly recommend following Jessica Yellin. She's a journalist who does her own thing on her Instagram called #NewsNotNoise. She breaks down what is important into nice little snippets. I'll be honest that she is a little more liberal-leaning, but she tries to just give the facts. And she breaks down sensationalism. I get all my national news from her because I've found it was a great way to get to the facts fast, all of it done in a handful of minutes a day. I found her when Amy Schumer announced that she was pregnant! 

I had a really good FFFC, but I don't remember. #P-brain. 
    Also, it took me 3 minutes of googling to remember Amy Schumer's name. 
  • Options
    @Happyin14, I agree we can't stop paying attention, but anymore I'm convinced politicians are going to do whatever the hell they want regardless of whether I know or not. I can give all the shits and do all the research/activisim/whatever and they're still going to do their shady shit, so why bother? 

TBH life is much better when I ignore the noise and live in my bubble.  :) I have a pretty awesome bubble. Lol
  • Options
    A lot of incumbents lost this last cycle. I do think there’s a change coming but it doesn’t happen overnight. I mean... Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez is enough to pay attention to! I’m LOVING her. 
  • Options
    @happyin14 I agree it’s important to stay informed. The way I look at (which might be unpopular) is it’s a luxury to be able to say I need to unplug I can’t handle this, because there are real everyday people being affected by everything going on, and they don’t have the ability to just tune it out because it’s literally impacting their daily lives and ability to provide for their families.

But it’s so true, we definitely have to be careful to find balanced sources as much as possible and not feed into the sensationalism, but it’s so important to know what’s going on and be an advocate for others when/where you can be. 
  • Options
    We get enough American politics news and influence up here and its exhausting and I don't even live in the US. I don't even know what to think anymore. But ya'll have Target and Chick Fil A so I'll still come down to visit :) 
  • Options
    @canuckmomma, I saw a story about how target failed in Canada! Like how is that possible? Doesn’t everyone love Target??
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    @canuckmomma, no Target?! I’d be sad. I love to disappear in Target for hours. Also, I don’t recommend that people who don’t live here pay any attention to our drama. It IS insane. 
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 @Happyin14 ... We had Target for a hot minute up here... maybe 2 years... I loved it!! From the cleanliness, to the selection, the home decor and clothing... the Starbucks in store... it was lovely. I went to just wander the aisles some days haha. But alas, Canadians didn't seem to "get it", maybe cuz we are too cheap and most ppl still went to Wall-Mart (barf). So target pulled all their stores out of Canada around 2015. So sad, it was an epic fail. But I do come down 2-3x a year to the states to I get my fix in! 
  • Options
    @canuckmomma No Target seems like a deal breaker to me.  ;)
  • Options
    @canuckmomma I’d die without Target. I don’t know what I’d do with myself. 
  • Options
    I live smack dab in the middle of the US and we're too small to have Target. The nearest one is an hour away. :(
  • Options
    @cindler nearest target for me is in Anchorage. A 3 hour drive. 
  • Options
    And a FFFC for me... I don't shop at target. I don't really get the appeal most of the time. Same crap as Walmart, but more expensive. I have done the "Target Mom" thing with friends, but my ass is too cheap to bother 90% of the time.