September 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Skin Care!

It's Friday! Time for the PSS, & we're continuing with "non-registry" to start us off. We have a few open weeks before the registry stuff is scheduled to begin, but we might move some of that up if there are no other non-registry suggestions! LMK if you have any suggestions!

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby/pregnancy-related products--(skin care is kind of an "everyone" thing, though, so I didn't separate out FTM/STM questions.) Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on these threads throughout your time at the board, not just during its week in the spotlight, if you discover something new/are new to the board. 

This week we're talking.... Skin care! The Bump has a great post about Best Pregnancy Skin Care Products, so check that out--but also feel free to let us know what works/has worked for you!

You can use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. 

For all...

• What's your skin care routine like?
  • How does/has it changed during pregnancy (this one or another)?
  • What are your fave brands/products/why?
  • Photos welcome of yr fave products (in spoilers please!)
  • Anything else you'd like to add!
To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: S19 PSS Spreadsheet!
Big thanks to the January 2019 BMB I stole the spreadsheet/format idea from.

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Skin Care!

• TBH, it doesn’t matter what kinda of lotion you put on your belly to prevent stretch marks - you’re either gonna get them or not. The best advice anyone gave me is to try to space your weight gain out over the entire pregnancy - that will help to “prevent” stretch marks the best.

That being said...(and I realize I’m a huge hypocrite 😆)...an old coworker recommended this for stretch marks. I used it everyday starting at about 12 weeks and 2x a day from like 25 weeks on. It’s expensive ($30, and I needed 2 or 3 bottles), but it felt nice, wasn’t too smelly and I liked it.

I don’t wear makeup so I have nothing to add there. Lol!
    • What's your skin care routine like? I'm pretty minimal. I use Costco facial cleansing wipes, a spritz of Caudalie (pic in spoiler) because it makes me feel fancy and I love the smell and Cetaphil when I need a moisturizer. 

• How does/has it changed during pregnancy (this one or another)? I have pretty much stayed consistent with this except when not pregnant, sometimes I will use a moisturizer with Retinol in it. 

In regards to stretch mark prevention, I use Trilastin lotion beginning around week 14 (I'll probably start it sooner this time since I'll show quicker). It smells amazing and keeps my skin feeling smooth so I don't get itchy! That's what really gets the stretch marks going. I also drink collagen mixed in water every night before bed. That helps with skin elasticity and keeping joint pain at bay later in pregnancy. 

*TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• Loading the player...
  • @lillywonderland what's the best way to stretch out weight gain? I was thinking of just adding an extra 250-300 calories to my maintenance intake (unless my ob says otherwise, of course).
    @zuuls_mom interesting tip about the collagen! Is there a particular brand you use/where do you even buy that?

My skincare routine is pretty simple: wash and moisturize 2x daily and gentle exfoliation 1-2x per week. I have dry, sensitive skin and rosacea. I use CeraVe PM facial moisturizer and their hydrating cleanser. I use Tatcha's rice polish as an exfoliant.
  • *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• During pregnancy, I use the “Pretty Mommies” skin care line for my face. It cleared up my acne last pregnancy that had popped up towards the middle to end of the first trimester. 

And for for my belly and hips, I used a coconut sugar exfoliator, and then: The Honest Company Organic Belly Balm. I kept that stuff on my belly all of the time, and it made me so much more comfortable. I did not get stretch marks, but that may have been the luck of my genetics. 

The Belly Balm needs to dry before putting on a shirt that could be stained by oils. I often wore cotton tanks under my clothes so it didn’t matter. 
  • @themadcamel yup, that’s pretty much all you have to do. “They” say no additional calories are needed in the first tri, but for second tri you should eat about 300 more, and third tri about 500 more. (Obvi more if you’re expecting multiples)
    • What's your skin care routine like? I wash nightly with Skin Script Green Tea Cleanser. I swear by this for keeping my acne away. Then I use La Belle Naturelle Toner and Moisturizer. Sometimes an eye cream if I'm feeling it. Once a week or so I'll use La Belle Naturelle scrub.
    • How does/has it changed during pregnancy (this one or another)? My skin stayed pretty much the same last pregnancy. So far this pregnancy I've had a couple break outs, which I dont really get any more. 
    • What are your fave brands/products/why? Skin Script cleanser because I swear it gets rid of my cystic acne. I've gone off it twice and both times my acne came back until I statred up again. La Belle Naturelle. Check them out on FB, her stuff is AMAZING
    • Anything else you'd like to add!  Last pregnancy is regularly used Mustela belly cream as well as Mary Kay Emolient cream. I did not get any stretch marks, but I dont think that was why.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • I’m lame and my skin care includes washing my face with baby wipes and putting on whatever lotion it handy. 

I am kind of obsesive when it comes comes to my make up routine. It actually started with my first pregnancy. I felt like I looked huge so I should at least try to make my face look good. lol 😂 

I got some pretty bad stretch marks last time but I am going to try to be better at moisturizing and such to help prevent new ones this time. 

• I use Burt’s Bees, Nourish Organics, or Earth Mama Angel Baby. That’s just across the board - body wash, moisturizer, face cleanser, lotion, etc...  it honestly comes down to a combo of price and scent for me. I will say that with my 1st pregnancy, I used Burt’s belly oil. It smelled like lemon and I could NOT keep using it or smell anything lemony for quite a while. It’s such a gross memory for me that I won’t even try it this time. 

As for make-up, I’m rocking my Burt’s Bees chapstick like a champ. 😂
    • What's your skin care routine like? I use a charcoal peel, Yes to Tomatoes! brand, facemask 1-2x/week, and sometimes another random one if I am feeling fancy. I wash my face w/ a sort of rotating cast of face washes--right now a Trader Joe's tea tree oil one and another one, Alba Botanica Hawaiian Detox Clensor w/ anti-pollution volcanic clay. It took me a while to find a good moisturizer for where I live-- I never used to tone/moisturize? but I'm nearing my mid-thirties and starting noticing my face didn't look as clear as it used to, so-- I finallly found the right brand for me & the humid climate I live in, which is Shea Moisture's African Black Soap Bamboo Charcoal line--which I think I am going to switch over to using entirely for, like, all the things. I don't love the way the toner smells, though, and IDK what toner is even supposed to do lol I bought it bc it was on sale and the same line as the moisturizer.
    • How does/has it changed during pregnancy (this one or another)? FFFC? Laziness/forgetfulness means I don't always moisturize or skip washing my face either during the day or night. Oops! 
    • What are your fave brands/products/why? Shea Moisture has done well for me/my skin. It took me forever to find a body wash that didn't make me itchy, and it was theirs I've been using now for 5+ years. The Yes! brands have always been inexpensive and good to me, too
    • Anything else you'd like to add! // Thanks to all who shared info/products/etc on stretch marks! 
  • What's your skin care routine like? I am pretty serious about my skin care routine. My skin used to super clear, but after I started TTC and had to take clomid and then femara it went crazy. I have had the worst acne for the past two years. My routine is using Skin Ceuticals LHA cleanser, followed by their LHA toner. I then use a serum and their triple lipid night cream. Skin care is the one area that I buy really nice products (I feel like that should be a FFFC lol). I think it makes a difference, and to me it is totally worth the investment. 

How does/has it changed during pregnancy (this one or another)? Not at all really. I cut out my retinol, but all the other products I use are pregnancy safe. For makeup, I switched to Beauty Counter foundation instead of Fenty Beauty. 

What are your fave brands/products/why? Skin Ceuticals is obviously my favorite, but I also like SkinMedica and Ole Hendriksen. I use Orgins occasionally. The triple lipid cream above is definitely my favorite product that I always have on hand. My holy grail favorite product is their Phloretin CF, but I can't justify that price every three months. It worked magic on my acne and helped with my scarring so much. I've tried other brands and they just don't compare. I did like Paula's Choice okay though. 

Anything else you'd like to add!
    My number one piece of advice for fellow hormonal acne sufferers is to not skip a toner. They are so important to help rebalance your skin. Also, tea tree oil is magic!
  • Hello! This is my first time on this thread, but I do have a small skin tip I found to share. My skin can get a bit rosy in the winter & I found a natural remedy online that work pretty well: apple cider vinegar as an astringent. He smells awful, but it tones down the redness in your skin from the cold. I also use Neutrogena age minimizing lotion. 
    • What's your skin care routine like? I'm a skin care junkie, it's a problem. I like to cleanse with Glossier's Milky Jelly Cleanser in the morning OR Fresh Sugar Face Scrub if I'm feeling super dry and gross. In the evening I use Bioderma Miceller Water to cleanse. I follow up with Glossier Solution all over my skin and then with Super Bounce (Hyaluronic Acid Serum) followed up RIGHT AWAY (very important!!!) with Glossier Moisturizer Riche Creme and Fresh Seaberry Face Oil (4 drops). I do this all morning and night, but eliminate Solution if I've used the physical exfoliant that day. I have excessively dry and sensitive skin, it's taken me a while to establish a routine that not only works for my skin, but is something I can maintain as far as a time and money commitment. 
    • How does/has it changed during pregnancy (this one or another)? My routine has not changed and I'm hoping it will remain this way for the next 7 months!
    • What are your fave brands/products/why? I love Glossier (obviously) because they make high quality products and are fairly priced. They are also cruelty-free, which makes me feel good about supporting them - as well as being a woman owned business. (Disclaimer, I'm so obsessed with Glossier that they asked me to be a product rep). I also love Fresh, their products smell amazing and feel good and clean. I like Khiel's a lot as well as Dr. Jart. I just found a body wash (Nessessaire) that was written up in The Cut as being amazing for people with eczema, so I'm excited to experiment with that. I love La Mer's product line, but it's pricey stuff and honestly, I don't think my skin is at the point that I need that much help, yet!
    • Anything else you'd like to add! If anybody has skin care questions, I'm happy to chat about it. This is seriously one of my favorite topics!
  • @laurenmichely I feel like you could be my skincare soulmate. Not so much in brands, but in passion lol. I don't use Glossier, but I love Fresh, Khiel's, and Dr. Jart too. Dr. Jart face masks are my favorite. I might consider giving Glossier a try now that you've raved it about it so much. I've just always figured it wasn't going to live up to the hype. I did try their Boy Brow and wasn't super impressed, but maybe I'll like their skincare stuff more.