April 2019 Moms

Nursing Clothing

I know we have a nursing accessories thread: https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12736845/product-spotlight-nursing-accessories#latest

I was curious if anyone had recommendations on nursing specific clothing, bras, tanks? What brands are good? What styles are helpful? What have you bought already? What would be good to add to hospital bag?

Re: Nursing Clothing

• I've said this before, but I haaaate nursing specific clothing. I strongly prefer to just wear normal clothes and pull them up / to the side for nursing. Every nursing top I got just stretched out and showed my bra after like 2 nursing sessions.
    I do like my nursing bra (which I'm already wearing), but I can't yet say how it will hold up to the actual event. I just needed a bigger bra and didn't want to buy one that I'd have to get rid of after pregnancy. So, I went stright for the nursing bra. 
    https://shop.nordstrom.com/s/bravado-designs-buttercup-convertible-maternity-nursing-bra/4658210?origin=keywordsearch-personalizedsort&breadcrumb=Home/All Results&color=dawn

Bravado Designs in general has pretty good nursing bras / tanks. 
  • Same as @professormama. I don't really like "nursing" clothes. I typically did the two shirt method for out of the house discretionary purposes, and at home I usually just had on a tank that I would pull down. 

I can't recall the brand of any of my legit nursing bras, but these worked GREAT for being comfy at home and ease of boob access. https://www.amazon.com/Genie-Bra-Womens-Twin-Pack/dp/B00B3O4RBU
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • @professormama @MRDCle great to know, thanks!  I'm a FTM and honestly the nursing-specific clothing has me confused...like do I REALLY need to buy more stuff when I can just pull over / down and all my clothing is pretty stretchy and comfy anyways?  I haven't bought anything 'nursing specific' save for a few comfy 'pregnancy / nursing' bras, but even those are just cup-less and don't have any fancy clip-down features. 

• I had a couple clip down tanks that I used for a while, but I would always forget the clip them back up, or they would come unclipped, and they just were weird and saggy for the most part. 

I am sort of interested in the like, Latched Mama things with the flaps rather than clips down. Anyone used those?

• I didn’t really nurse DD but I have 2 of these that i think will work well since it will be warm here. I’ll probably buy more since they are so comfy and they work outside nursing. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00YYR0BAE?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

im still trying to figure out nursing bras since not many come in larger sizes. I’m waiting to see if I’ll even be able to nurse this one before really overhauling my wardrobe. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • @thatbaintforbetty I had to go to Nordstrom to get a legit nursing bra because I was in the G or H range while nursing. They have a decent range of sizes and can help you find a good one.
  • I wasn't a huge fan of nursing clothing and just wore looser shirts out in public that I could easily pull one side down in order to nurse. I did use a cover out and about so I didn't have to worry too often about the two shirt method but I've heard great things about it.

I am already wearing my nursing bra though and I highly recommend finding one that is comfortable. I bought two from Kindred Bravely and love them. I did have a few nursing tank tops to sleep in so I could just drop the clip down for the MOTN feeds. I felt frumpy that first month because of all the cluster feeding so having super loose tanks that were easy pull down were life saving.

• @MRDCle I have heard they have a decent size selection. I had a couple cotton sleep type ones last time and was waiting to buy more till I figured out my size but my milk never came in with DD. I’m totally in limbo on if that will happen again and since nursing bras aren’t cheap, I don’t want to go drop a bunch of money on them if it doesn’t work out. 

Its super frustrating. Insurance will cover a pump so I’ll get that just in case but everything else is just one big question mark. 

Although lesson learned on assuming things, I never imagined I wouldn’t be able to BF and surprise. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • One of my goals is to get a couple of legit decent nursing bras this time around. I have tried ones from Target, but was SO unhappy with them that I ended up wearing regular wireless bras and just pulling the cup down every time. But that wasn’t my favorite thing to do, and it made the bras misshappen by the end, since I exclusively nursed, so they obviously got pulled down a LOT. I have several in my amazon cart to try, and I’m probably going to order 10 and then pick my favs and send the rest back. 
    As far as nursing clothes go, I have none. I pulled my shirts up to nurse, and if I wore a dress I either had one that unbuttoned in the front, or one with a v neck that could be pulled aside easily.

Funny story though...then there was the time I decided I wanted to buy a gorgeous dress for my BIL’s wedding and that I was NOT going to limit myself to nursing accessible dresses, (aka it was a dress that required nipple pasties instead of a bra) since my baby would be 6 months old and nursing on more of a schedule, so I *should* have been able to disappear into a bathroom when I needed to nurse. Well, the dress was beautiful, but baby was cutting a tooth and wanted to nurse nonstop during the wedding ceremony, which took place in a field 1/2 a mile from any buildings. So I ended up crouched in the woods at the corner of the field, pulling off my nipple pasties while trying to keep the baby from screaming bloody murder, and then ended up getting bitten by fire ants and mosquitoes the whole time. It. Was. Miserable, and I so so so regretted not having a dress (and undergarments!!) I could just quietly nurse in during the ceremony IN my seat. 😂😂😂
  • @professormama I remember you saying that - I also noticed that most nursing clothes are sorted into the maternity category with models sporting 2nd/3rd tri bumps.  I'm hoping to not have this much belly while nursing so I find that weird. I didn't buy any nursing specific tops last time but it was also fall/winter.  Since it's gonna be hot I was hoping to find something that I could wear less layers. 

@MRDCle I was thinking about getting this dress from Latched Mama but I'm not sure about their other stuff https://latchedmama.com/collections/nursing-dresses/products/latched-mama-drawstring-t-shirt-dress

• @katlarissa oh my gosh that experience sounds so traumatizing! Fire ants are the absolute worst! 
  • professormamaprofessormama member
    edited January 2019
    @gollygeeitsamy I guess everyone has a different level of comfort, but honestly, I was nursing in the heat of summer last baby, and i didn't wear layers. I found that baby's head / body blocked most of the skin from showing. I just wore loser tops most of the time that kind of flowed / draped around, and I'd just stick him under there. I wish I could easily post a picture of what it looked like to nurse that way, but I don't have any on this laptop. But basically, most of the time the only skin that was visible was maybe my boob for a second during latching, then maybe my side where the shirt was slightly tugged up. But the rest was covered by his head / body, and my top. I never worried much about nursing covers or modesty anyway. I'm definitely of the attitude that - if you're not out there protesting Victoria's secrets ads, then stfu about me nursing in public. 

eta: I also nursed in a carrier sometimes, which also meant that the more layers I had on, the harder it was to get access. 
  • For the 2-shirt method, does anyone have recommendations for the best, simple nursing tank? I was with my friend this weekend who was nursing her baby and that seems like probably the way to go. There's just so many tank tops and I just want some plain ones that are cheap! 
    Also, I'm overwhelmed by the options of nursing bras, tanks, etc. I have no clue what I'll want to use! I was looking at comfy nursing bras to sleep in, but then I thought I should probably get something for hands-free pumping and I saw one that could do that but also looks comfy to sleep in.....ugh, too many options drive me crazy.
  • HGRichHGRich member
    edited January 2019
    I am a little meh on nursing clothing, other than nursing tanks. Since DD was also born in April, I lived in just nursing tanks at home all summer and plan to do the same with this kid. I have found that many are pretty annoying, but I found I like the Jessica Simpson tanks at Motherhood maternity because they have good padding for when I want to throw a shirt on over to go out (I have C cups, so bigger boobs would probably need more than that), and they actually contain the whole boob. ( @rennie1108 they’re my recommendation.) Most other nursing tanks seem to have been made for women whose boobs aren’t swollen with milk, which makes zero sense. (As in, they covered very little boob and I was popping out of them.) 

I also generally slept in a nursing sleep tank. Easier than a nursing bra plus a shirt. Just make sure to get one that will hold your nursing pads in place. I did most of my leaking at night. 
  • @rennie1108 I tried pumping in my nursing bras and it just never really worked.  There wasn't enough support to hold the flange up top with enough suction.  So you definitely need a hands free pump bra if you are going to be doing a lot of pumping. I saw that the Bravado designs pump bra that clips to your nursing bra so I may try that, it's called Clip and Pump. 
  • @gollygeeitsamy Yeah I'm definitely leaning towards getting one of those, although I think I want one that I can wear all day (for work). I found this one had pretty good reviews, and Lucie's list also recommended it: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ROPBMLK/?coliid=I3AOPKFL0QMHSF&colid=2L3CNMLV9QWS&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1
  • eli_belleeli_belle member
    edited January 2019
    Must haves: clip down nursing bras. I much preferred ones that were not overly structured (no underwires or shaped foam cups) particularly at first. I highly recommend ones that fully fall away when unlatched (don't stay up or hold their shape). This is really helpful when you are first getting in the groove with a new baby. The last thing you need is to fight with the bra to keep it out of the way. My favorite nursing bra for the early days is the Bravado Body Silk nursing bra. It is so comfy that you can sleep in it but gives enough support (even with larger cup sizes - I was a H/I cup while nursing) and holds nursing pads firmly in place. When I went back to work I appreciated the structure, separation, and shaping of an underwire bra and switched back. By that time we were pros at nursing, and I mainly wore it while pumping anyway.

Nice to have: clip down nursing tanks with shelf "bra." These keep you covered and only expose what needs to be exposed. They can work overnight to hold nursing pads in, but if your ladies are on the bigger side like mine you will probably need a bra 24/7 anyway.

Didn't work for me: I really hated dedicated nursing clothing with "flaps." It is particularly windy where I live and I lived in constant fear that the flaps would fly up and leave my bra exposed. I prefer the control of clips and knowing my clothing is in the right place. 

My go to nursing uniform while on maternity leave: clip down nursing bra (fall away cups), stretchy tank top that I could just pull down, and cardigan.
    My go to pumping uniform after I went back to work: clip down nursing bra (more structured with underwires/foam cups), hands free pumping bra (that I would only wear while pumping), camisole that I was able to pull down (kept my torso covered), loose fitting dress/work shirt that I could pull up/take off, and blazer/cardigan. 

• *lurker from March*

To the ladies asking about Latched Mama, no idea if this will be helpful or not, so take it or leave it!

I have three tops from that brand. I just got them second hand, so I haven't actually used them yet. All of them are the low-cut criss-cross with a flap over it style. My sister has a nursing dress that's the same style but from a different brand, and she really likes it. 

The tops seem pretty high quality. Despite being second-hand from a thrift store, they're in great condition, no pilling (of course, who knows how many times they were actually used before being donated), and none of that thin, see-through crap that's common in knit tops. 

I will say the sizing seems to run large. I wear a small in the brand. I have tops in all sorts of sizes, including small, because of the craziness that is women's clothes sizing, but I do tend to wear more mediums and even larges than smalls. My bust size corresponds to a medium on their sizing chart, and I do frequently tend to wear a size smaller than what sizing charts indicate. 
  • @lovesclimbing that’s very helpful, I noticed on the website it said if in between sizes to size down. 
  • I didn't have nursing clothes for DD.  Just stretchy shirts that I could lift up during the day and stretchy tanks i could pull down at night. 

Good clip down nursing bras were a must for me though. I have Bravado silk bra and Cake mousse.  I may get the Bravado silk cami this time around, too.
  • DS was born in August and I often put a normal t-shirt over a nursing tank.  However I found that clothes I wore the first few months really got worn down.  DS was an epic spewer and I don't know if that had something to do with it.  I actually really liked the one nursing shirt I had with DS.  This time all the maternity clothes I bought can double as nursing tops.  A couple of the more professional pairs have zippers to hide the slots.  If it wouldn't function as a nursing top, I refused to buy it.  Since I looked like I was 6 months pregnant for at least the first month of DS's life having something that can hide the belly this time around won't hurt.

I liked the Bravado brand for both bras and nursing tanks.  I plan to get more but haven't decided when to buy.  They were comfortable and held up pretty well.  This time I'm contemplating on buying something in not just the nude color.  Having a fun nursing bra might be nice.  
  • @saucentoss “epic spewer!” Lol. 
    That raises a good point though. I should clarify that I used my higher quality nursing tanks when I was going somewhere or if I had company over. But I had some cheap ones I didn’t love, but that basically did the trick, when I was just staying home alone with DD. Because she spit up constantly too, so I needed some tanks and tees that I could wash constantly and not care that they were getting worn out. I think I just got several plain ones from target. 
  • llamamamanycllamamamanyc member
    edited January 2019
    I’ve been wearing nursing bras since about 8 or 9 weeks. My breasts grew so big, so quickly that I couldn’t wear my regular bras almost immediately. Since I’m planning on nursing, I figured I would just invest in nursing bras early on instead of having to make a switch later. I’ve been rotating between a few of the same style nursing bras from Kindred Bravely and I’ve found them to be very comfortable and supportive. They also came with much needed band expanders, which I’ve needed for the past few weeks.
  • saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited January 2019
    Nursing bra: this one is my favorite (you can remove the foam pads which are thin) and holds nursing pads in place. No underwire. I’m a 34 DDD when nursing. https://www.motherhood.com/full-busted-seamless-nursing-bra-cup-sizes-d%2B/006-99162-80.html?cgid=nursing-bras&dwvar_006-99162-80_color=006-99162-80#start=1

nursing tops: good quality pea in the pod or motherhood are my favorite (personally I don’t wear a bra when I do a nursing tank it’s just to many clips). I wear under a shear kimono style cardigan or at home and for very casual days when it’s 115 degrees here in the summer with shorts. 

also love the split side nursing tees I pair with a nursing bralette and high waisted yoga pants or nursing pants (to cover tummy). 
    https://www.motherhood.com/jessica-simpson-pull-over-side-slit-nursing-top/006-96886-006-001.html?cgid=nursing-tops&dwvar_006-96886-006-001_color=006-96886-01#start=1

https://www.motherhood.com/racerback-nursing-sleep-bra/006-91364-46.html?cgid=nursing-bras&dwvar_006-91364-46_color=006-91364-46#start=1

Latched mama and nursing dresses: 
    I don’t have any latched mama nursing tops but own and love 4 of their dresses (2 tank and 2 tee shirt style). I think the florals and pattered fabrics wear and look better over time they also hide milk leaks better than solids!!! I put small spandex shorts under because I’m chasing a toddler and sitting on the ground but they are a conservative enough length for me 5’4” and approx 140lbs postpartum/nursing I wear a medium. 

https://latchedmama.com/collections/nursing-dresses/products/latched-mama-drawstring-t-shirt-dress

https://latchedmama.com/collections/nursing-dresses/products/latched-mama-drawstring-tank-dress-2-0

i have this cold shoulder dress too it’s very flattering! Would take a shawl or cardigan if you are modest as it’s a bit low cut but so pretty! 
    https://www.motherhood.com/pull-down-cold-shoulder-nursing-dress/007-93318-000-001.html?dwvar_007-93318-000-001_color=007-93318-01#q=nursing%2Bdress&lang=default&start=1

otherwise v-neck and scoop neck tops that have some stretch, button downs ( I love Henley style shirts and tanks with snap buttons personally). 

My climate is way too hot for layers or covers!!!!