July 2019 Moms

Breastfeeding & Pumping Questions & Support Thread

Re: Breastfeeding & Pumping Questions & Support Thread

• @indulgentgypsy in addition to the right pump, one thing that would impact the volume I got was if I started pumping on a lower/slow setting until letdown before increasing the intensity. Weirdly, I got more milk doing that then starting “hard and fast” because it stimulated a “normal” nursing session more (although everyone responds differently to pumps!)

The other thing that changed the output over time ratio was the size of the pump parts. I think sometimes people use too big of filanges because they have larger breasts but smaller nipples so switching to a smaller set can work wonders!
  • @indulgentgypsy - I rented a hospital grade Medela pump for this reason! Still took about 20 mins instead of 30
  • Loading the player...
  • I fed all my children formula, I did try to breastfeed my now 4 yr old but I suffered greatly from postpartum depression and it seemed as if my milk supply went down. He wouldn’t latch so I pumped but would only get like 2 oz! This pregnancy is a stress free one and happy with tons of excitement so I believe I will do everything right this time I had the medela Pump in style hospital grade pump and BOY did it hurt!!i I wanted to know if anyone has any recommendations on an awesome pump ?
  • @britbrat916 I've tried both the Medela and Spectra pumps. Spectra, for me, was a lot better in terms of comfort and production! I'll be using it again this time :) 
  • FTM question...how is nursing a baby "supposed" to feel on your nipples? How can you tell if baby has a good latch? Is any pain or discomfort a sign of trouble? Does it feel different for every mom or between babies?
  • @hestia14 Pain and discomfort was my sign that we didn't have a good latch. At the hospital, the LC said everything looked great and we were doing good. Then we got home and over the course of a few days, every time he latched it was some serious pain. It was just becoming more and more sensitive. With my second, it really didn't feel any different, I just didn't end up with the excruciating pain because she didn't have a shallow latch. 

I would take some breastfeeding course if our hospital has them, they can really help... and don't be afraid to really use the LC at the hospital and even when you get home. 
  • @hestia14 I second taking a breastfeeding class AND bring your partner. My LC recommended having the partner there for all classes as the note-taker since you need to focus on what is being said but will likely forget a ton of it. You can ask your prenatal provider if they recommend a location Lactation Consultant but also check with your insurance for ones that are covered in your area. Even thought I wasn't able to stick with BFing, my LC was an absolute saint, helping me get through those first few weeks with some success. She was not a hospital LC though and typically taught groups and took on private patients. 
  • @hestia14 I would add that even if at the hospital the LC/nurse tells you the latch is ok, trust your instinct if it’s hurting and try to find a different LC or LLL volunteer or mom afterwords to try different trouble shooting ideas. 

My friends and I also created a system where we had one person to contact if BFing wasn’t going well and we wanted convincing to keep going/ideas for troubleshoot and another to reassure that switching to formula was a great choice too and all would work in the end. Sometimes when someone is really suffering from the BFing experience, hearing “trouble shooting” ideas may do more harm psychologically than good! It’s amazing how it can impact the first few weeks.
  • @hestia14 a little pain in the beginning is normal. New, frequent friction does that whether you have a good latch or not. Severe pain, bleeding, and cracked nipples are signs of a bad latch. 

The baby should have as much of your nipple in its mouth as possible (without gagging). If not then your LO has a shallow latch and it can be super painful. 

Definitely recommend seeing the LC in the hospital. She sat with me, watch him eat, helped correct his latch, showed me different ways to hold the baby to make it easier, and was really helped me understand how it all worked with supply/demand, colostrum, how little his stomach was, etc. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @hestia14 just echoing what the other ladies have said... and adding this little tip I was given. My mom's friend said to take a washcloth when your in the shower and rub your nipples kind of roughly for a minute or two during the months leading up to baby. I didn't do it all that often, but maybe a couple times a week for a month before baby and I don't know if it helped or if I just have nipples of steel, but I did not have any pain. I have heard some soreness is pretty normal in the beginning though for most people! 
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited January 2019
    I'll echo the breastfeeding class- mine was SO helpful! Also, yes, bring a partner. I didn't bring mine because I didn't see the point, but I was the only one in class there by myself (no big deal, just saying, most women brought their SOs or their mom) and I think my husband would have remembered a lot more than I would have on my own. I'm thinking of taking it again for a refresher since every baby is different (and I will definitely bring DH this time).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Bear14+ said:
    @britbrat916 I've tried both the Medela and Spectra pumps. Spectra, for me, was a lot better in terms of comfort and production! I'll be using it again this time :)————- I will definitely be trying spectra thanks so much 
  • @indulgentgypsy I'm going to take a wild stab and say that you are likely covered by FLSA and they are required to give you enough time to pump and help make accommodations for you to do that. 
  • @hakele I'm sure I am, and my school is pretty awesome, but small so I will definitely have to work with them too.
  • Slight change of topic, but still in the realm of breastfeeding and pumping...

I was just looking at my insurance and they cover "100% of prescribed breast pump rental." Is that normal - rental vs buying/owning?

I saw your earlier post @tsa208 (thank you!) and it seemed like several options were covered by my insurance through those sites you listed. I guess I'm wondering if that generally means renting and returning the pump or not?

I'm a little freaked out by the idea of using equipment someone else has also used, but if that's a common thing, I guess I can be convinced. 
  • @acgx Here In France they also only cover rentals. However, this meant I could get a hospital grade pump (I had a Medela Symphony with DD). Of course they give you all new parts so it’s just the machine that has been used by others, not the parts that come in contact with the milk.
  • @acgx like @frenchbaby18 said, the only thing being reused in rentals is the actual motor part of the pump. All the tubing and so forth is new. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Thanks yall - I don't know why, it still seems like something I wouldn't want to rent  :flushed: I guess I'll just have to get over it if that's my only option through my insurance. 
  • Hey ladies, STM here. I tried to BF my first but my milk never came. I tried a week of putting the baby on the breast, both sides, then would hand him off to DH then pump for 20 minutes.  I was lucky if i would get 2oz a day. Im hoping  this time around will be better. I already notice more changes in my breasts thanWith the first. My question  is  has anyone had success using a pacifier and breastfeeding? DS loves his paci and it truely has been a sanity saver.
  • @sarac986 my first loved his paci, and breastfed for 10 months. He also loved his paci and totally agree that it is a life saver! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @sarac986 My kids used pacifiers and breast fed well for a year. 
  • Many of the women on my other BMBs BFed successfully and was able to give their kid a pacifier with no problem.

However, all 4 of my boys refused one. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I had no issues with a pacifier and breastfeeding! With my first I waited a little bit longer because the LC at the hospital recommended it so he wouldn't get confused.. but with my second we did it right away and had no issues. 
  • @Bear14+ I did the same exact thing. Waited a month with #1, gave it immediately to #2!
  • @sarac986 same as most of the other ladies, both of mine took a paci while breastfeeding with no issue. I introduced the paci within a few days of birth and had no problems with nipple confusion.
  • Thats good to hear about the paci.  :)
  • @sarac986 my pediatrician actually recommended offering a paci early on, with both of our boys. She said in terms of nipple confusion, while they are sucking on a pacifier, it doesn’t have any food, so if baby is hungry, they will let you know, even if they do take a paci. It’s different than a baby getting a bottle where they’re actually getting food from it
  • Is there anything that STM's did before they had LO to help get their milk supply going?
  • @sarac986 Didn’t do anything here but would highly recommend going to a lacatation consultant or attending a breastfeeding mom group session beforehand! They can give really good tips and become good emergency contacts if you struggle with supply early on (it’s much harder to find that support network in a hurry when baby is already here and everyone is living on no sleep!). You may get lucky and be a mom with an easy experience!
  • @sarac986 I would recommend not trying to do anything ahead of time until you know how your milk production is. Oversupply is a real problem and can be extremely painful, cause problems nutritionally for your LO, and can cause mastitis and clogged ducts.

Like @frenchbaby18, I too recommend talking with an LC or going to a BFing class so you can learn the signs of a low supply, how to manage it if need be, and already have a foot in the door for support if needed. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • BFing class (with your SO) and discussing your goals in detail with your SO. It was so impactful to have a cheerleader in those first few weeks (and late nights) when I was trying to establish supply but doubting myself. Hubs would be like, "remember in the class when they said xyz? This is normal and you're doing great." Or, "remember when they talked about the 3 week growth spurt? This is it and if we make it tonight without supplementing it'll get easier" etc etc etc. We shared the goal of BFing and he really encouraged and coached me through it. I know there are lots of spouses who will be hands off and just say "I support whatever you decide" but for me, it was more important that he kept sight of our long term goals rather than short term issues. It also set us up early for a balanced parenting partnership versus traditional division of labor.

@sarac986 I think you were asking about what you can do physically to establish supply beforehand. But really I think educating yourself if the best prep for a new mom.
  • Cbeanz I love this recommendation.. when yo do you ladies advice to start LC classes?
  • CbeanzCbeanz member
    edited February 2019
    @babyginjuly check your hospital or birth center website. Mine had all kinds of classes offered every month or quarter.

Probably around 6-7 months ish?
  • I was afraid of a low milk supply as well. With My now 4 year old I tried breastfeeding and pumping and my supply was very low then I got really depressed smh no production at all. I feel that with this pregnancy I’ll be definitely better with breastfeeding. I’m happier and healthier. And it seems like since I lost weight my nipples don’t invert they are out so I’m excited 😊 I wish everyone the best of luck🥰
  • I just came across this on FB and wanted to share because it's soo cool!! 

They dropped breastmilk into the middle of petri dishes full of bacteria and these were the results. The breastmilk samples were from a mom of 15mo and a 3yr old. So cool!! 

Here's the link to the full post. 
    https://www.facebook.com/1469308666711479/posts/2191481531160852/
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @nopegoat whoa!! That is soo cool!!! Thanks for sharing!
  • Have we discussed breast pump flanges sizes yet? Last pregnancy I used a Medela pump in style with 24mm flanges. It was super painful when pumping. I’m curious if it was painful due to maybe having too small flanges. Thoughts?
  • @tova24 It could mean too large or too small, depending on how your breast, nipple and areola are fitting into the flange and tunnel. I think I used a guide similar to this when selecting my right flange size, but you can always confer with a lactation consultant to find what works best for your breast size and shape, nipple size, etc:

https://aeroflowbreastpumps.com/blog/breastpump-flange-size-chart
  • FTM here: Planning on 100% breastfeeding, wondering if I should plan on or think about pumping also? I do work but I’m self employed & plan on having baby with me nearly all the time. Husband doesn’t go to church & said he’ll want baby with him sometimes when I go. Maybe when baby is a bit older would need bottle if I get a babysitter or in-laws have baby over night will I not have breast available for baby directly. Just not sure if I’ll need to pump, or how often I should think about doing it? Any suggestions? 99% sure my insurance will pay for one so not worried about cost, just practically.