April 2019 Moms
Options

Week 1 Check-in w/o 1/21

Due date: 

Any appointments? Questions? 

Rants/Raves? 

How are you feeling? 

What have you done to prep for baby this week? 

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on? 

Re: Week 1 Check-in w/o 1/21

• Options
    Thanks @HGRich!

Due date: 4/2

Any appointments? Questions? Shots! 

Rants/Raves? 30 weeks means I’m delivering at my local hospital. Woohoo! Also, survivability is north of 95% and disability down to south of 25%. 

How are you feeling? Back is feeling better! I still wish I had infinite hot water, at higher temps, for my showers, though. 

What have you done to prep for baby this week? Great additional question. Umm...nothing except making 4.5 leftover quarts of chili tonight (2 destined for freezer meals). I’m just trying to adult with my current responsibilities. 

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on? 2010-2015 was my golden age of traveling, and included a six week trip backpacking through Europe (I could have stayed in Barcelona forever, my best meal ever was in Lyon and featured mystery seafood and a whole lot of alcohol with my besties and the waiter after the restaurant had technically closed, San Sebastián/Donanistra in Spanish Basque Country has the best small bites scene I’ve ever been to though I have no idea how anyone keeps track of the tab, and drunken conversations with the Belfast hotel clerk gave me more insight into Irish politics than a semester of grad work in European studies). My grad school graduation/birthday trip through Morocco and Spain is also a contender...even with swollen feet for the first four days and a 24 hr stomach bug that caused me to miss Alhambra near the end of the trip. 

• Options
    Due date: April 3

Any appointments? Questions?  Dentist appt next week for a cleaning and lecture on flossing!

Rants/Raves? DH did a big, unexpected tidy and vacuum Sunday while I mostly rested and folded laundry while watching Grace & Frankie.   

How are you feeling?  I know I’m not having a difficult pregnancy at all, but pregnancy is difficult! I can’t wait for this little girl to come so my sleepless nights can be because of her and not because of pregnancy sinus congestion - that and my ginormous boobs are my only real complaints!

What have you done to prep for baby this week?  My mom found some rolls of wallpaper that she used in my sister’s and my room when we were little, so I got some frames to put some swatches in because it’s pretty cute! 

I was also introduced to a really good children’s consignment shop this weekend and possibly overdid it on more clothes for Baby. My one issue now is that I can’t find infant sized clothes hangers anywhere! Kids sized, yes - baby onesie sized - nope! I prefer to hang clothes since there’s no space for a dresser in her room. The consignment people looked at me weird when I asked if I could buy some of their hangers....

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on?  Hands down, London and France with my sister. We have very similar travel styles (we are on vacation! We don’t need to pound the pavement for 16 hours a day!) and know how to get along in cramped quarters. Plus, she’s fluent in French and I’m pretty good with a map, so we both brought skills to the table!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Due 4.2

Any appointments? 30 week apt tomorrow

Questions? Why do I have period like cramps in the middle of the night low in my abdomen?

Rants/Raves? I love you ladies.

How are you feeling? Highly emotional, stressed, and just done. Family problems. Love my baby though, she is amazing and I feel like I have a connection with her. I can hardly wait for my EDD, to meet her around that time.

What have you done to prep for baby this week? I bought 2 packs of 72 diapers for $10 off Offerup yesterday!!* I also bought a pack of ultra absorbent overnight adult underwear from the thrift store for postpartum for just $4.75. There were 2 available but since it will be my first experience, I decided to just get 1 pack and see how it goes with this delivery. Great deal, though.

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on? My honeymoon because the memory is sentimental. It was a surprise- DH took me to the college he graduated from for a tour to see that part of his life before we met, then we hiked nearby for a couple days, staying the night in a tent at the top of a mountain, and the rest of the week we spent in a nice hotel with a Jacuzzi and horses on site. He took me horesback riding and we got to see wild ponies and visit a local museum, and in the evenings we stayed in and drank lots of chocolate milk while watching Red Box movies haha

*If you didn't already know, we plan on cloth diapering. However, we plan on using disposables during our stay with my MIL and... please save negative comments for another time if you have them... DH has committed to a work trip April 14th-20th, his boss has given him the OK to bring me and our newborn along. He will be paid $1,500 to go and reimbursed for lodging. He is only needed for an hour or two in the mornings and an hour or two in the evenings. Baby and I will be staying in during the week and we'll be just 10 minutes from DH's work location. It's an hour and 45 minutes from our home, and the nearest hospitals are half an hour away. DH and I made this decision together and we are sticking with it unless a conplications arises and I cannot go. At which point baby and I will stay with my MIL for the week, who also an hour from home and the nearest hospital from her is half an hour away. So anyways, those are the times when we will use disposables.

I also plan on requesting to be induced by April 10th if baby hasn't come by then.

• Options
    @suchagoodone I go to Old Navy and ask them for a bag of plastic hangers. They throw theirs away, at least in my area, and will give them away in huge trash bags. That's how I get mine.
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery most cloth families would use disposables in those situations. Totally normal. And also, totes jealous of that work trip.
  • Options
    @mighty_montgomery We cloth diapered our first and definitely went disposable for trips. 

Due date: 4/1
    Any appointments? Heart appt for me. Ditched the chiropractor for the time being. 
    Questions?
    Rants/Raves? I survived my first day of work. And we got given loads of hand me downs this week 
     How are you feeling?    Commuting by bike/train is definitely harder with a 30week bump. Had the a conductor ask if I was full term yesterday. But then he carried my bike down the stairs. He’s my new friend 

What have you done to prep for baby this week?     Still working on contacting daycares. And still striking out.

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on?   A tour in Africa.  It was amazing. I just wish we had been able to take more time to hike Kilimanjaro 
  • Options
    *creeping from week 3*

@mighty_montgomery I would hope no one from this group is going to comment on choosing to use disposables. That seems insane. (coming from someone who only uses disposables)
  • Options
    I'm jealous at reading all of these fabulous vacations! They sound like so much fun!

@mighty_montgomery Those cramps are probably braxton hicks if I had to guess.  Drink some water next time to see if it helps. As for the travel, the only thing I can think to check is access to do laundry while away on the trip. It's amazing how much babies go through in a short period.  Plus you'll most likely still be bleeding, leaking breastmilk, etc. Also, it completely makes sense to use disposables during that time. 

Due date: 4/5

Any appointments? Questions? Just had one today, all is well

Rants/Raves? None

How are you feeling? Just ready for time to hurry up so I can meet this baby and not be pregnant anymore

What have you done to prep for baby this week? I feel like I've barely done anything. I have plans to get things done this weekend though. 

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on? DH and I took our "honeymoon" 4 years after we got married to Universal.  We are geeks so we had a blast and we loved Harry Potter Park. Plus, DD was 1.5 years old and it was our first trip without her with us and it was great to bond together. 

• Options
    @mighty_montgomery I second what @gollygeeitsamy said about cramps. I had some cramps (later realized they were contractions) in the middle of the night a couple of weeks ago--so painful that I could barely move. However, I had some minor diarrhea-like symptoms leading up to it that probably had me dehydrated. So yea, ensuring you keep up water will help! I haven't had them since and my symptoms have let up...finally!

Due date: April 7

Any appointments? Questions? Appointment next week. Is anyone planning on pumping? What pump did you get and why?
    Also, if I had sciatica but it subsided, should I still see a chiropractor, and/or do something about it?

Rants/Raves? I passed my glucose test! Squee!!! And, despite the ginormous baby shower guest list, things are going smoothly on that front. People have been really sweet. 

How are you feeling? I had sciatica over the weekend, but subsided by Sunday. Other than that, feeling pretty alright! Just get more winded when I walk..which is to be expected.

What have you done to prep for baby this week? Finally did my registry. Still trying to decide on some diaper cream but it's otherwise complete.

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on? Our 1-year anniversary trip to Europe. We completely designed our own trip and it was just the two of us. Felt more like a honeymoon than our actual honeymoon. I say that b/c, as nice as Hawaii was for our honeymoon, I felt like it was almost imposed--precisely b/c it was a gift, and we had no choice on where to stay, for example. Also, our exploration plans were rudely interrupted by a hurricane (yes, in Hawaii). Other trips have had at least some segments with family, or haven't been as epic. A close second is our trip to Spain.

• Options
    Hi @aggie0812 I'm lurking from week 2's board! I'm sorry you had that sciatica episode over the weekend, sciatica sucks! As for whether or not to go see someone if your symptoms are gone, I would say probably not. When you go and get treatment for sciatica, they're treating your pain, not the underlying cause of what's causing it in most cases. There's a lot of things that can cause sciatica, so unless you're in the OR having an obstruction against the nerve root taken out, anything that's done non-operatively will be around pain management. So basically, no pain, no problem! That being said, one of the best ways to try keep the flare ups from coming back it trying to remain active (I know, easier said than done when a baby pressed up against your lungs makes it easy to get winded ;) ). The other thing that I'll let you know is that the evidence suggests that seeking an intervention for sciatic pain isn't really necessary unless it persists for more that 4-6 weeks, only because often times things sort themselves out on their own, and that transient pain can be pretty normal (especially during times of physiologic change, like pregnancy). That being said, if you do have some pretty debilitating flare-ups that come back, you're definitely not going to hurt anything by seeing your GP, or other allied health professional or even getting a massage! Hope that helps, and that your sciatica is totally behind you!
  • Options
    Due date: April 7th

Any appointments? Questions? Not this week.

Rants/Raves? Just tired, soooo tired! 

How are you feeling? Like a whale! 

What have you done to prep for baby this week? I order a Lilliebaby carrier, a RNP, a couple wubanubs, and a JuJube BFF! Feeling productive. 

GTKY: What’s the best vacation/trip you’ve ever been on? Vacation this past summer. We went to the beach, Disney, and the mountains. 

BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    s_montgomerys_montgomery member
    edited January 2019
    30 week appointment went fine.

So far I've had 2 crying spells this week over the stress with my in-law's dog. He left the house this afternoon saying "by the way, this is one of the weeks where I work from Wednesday to Friday straight through." Exactly. I'm just waiting for my husband to get home so it doesn't look like I'm just pregnancy-complaining when he's informed he needs to go before the baby comes.

My doctor said they shouldn't have any issue with me requesting to be induced by the 10th.

My statement of "please save negative comments" was in regards to me taking a trip with the baby so soon after delivery.

Thank you @lyse01 for your compliment on the blanket I made.

I feel so done with my own emotions, I wish I could not have them for a day just for a break from all the tension I'm feeling.

ETA: Can y'all help me out with this math? Since my last period was June 6th and I'm 30 weeks along, I can't go by my last period. My first dating scan put me at 9 weeks, 1 day which made my Due Date April 2nd. Approximately what week and month did I conceive?
  • Options
    My last period was July 4th and I'd estimate conception was around the 12-14th. (I have a short cycle). I'm due 4/1.
  • Options
    Thank you.

I have always been curious what was going on in my life at the time that DH and I conceived.
    I think for us the timing is funny-awkward because we had foreign exchange students from July 5-23. And we were so busy with them, too. How did we have the energy? Lol Well, I'm glad she's (almost) here.
  • Options
    Wait, @mighty_montgomery, I’ve always assumed foreign exchange students go to families with kids near that age range. How did you end up hosting?
  • Options
    We went through a program called Education First. Here is a general site https://www.efexchangeyear.org/host-a-student and here is a FAQ site https://www.ef.com/ir/ehp/host-a-student/faq/

We participated in a summer program only and hosted two 16 year old boys. They were great!

The staff were really having a hard time finding homes for the students and we met a staff personnel at a local festival and that's how we got connected. We were considering adoption at the time (TCC difficulty) since our last round of Clomid failed so it was nice to have a home study and interview experience, plus a trial with teens was perfect, but we really lucked out with the students we got. Some families had a hard time with their students.