April 2019 Moms
Options

Itchy

I've been felling itchy around my shoulders,back, chest and parts around body but not super itchy. I told midwife before all she said was could be cus of hormones. It stopped for a while but now it came back again...does anyone else get itchy around 26 weeks? 

Re: Itchy

• Options
    lilpotatomamalilpotatomama member
    edited January 2019
    Hi @mamatobe2019! We have a symptoms thread going already that would have been perfect for this post.
     My belly has been the only itchy part so far. My friend had really awful itching issues and it turned out to be a liver condition. I’d definitely talk to your midwife about the itching again. 
  • Options
    @mamatobe2019 definitely mention to your doctor at your next appt - I know of 2 people who had a dangerous condition called cholestasis (likely the same condition that @lilpotatomama references above) and the main symptom was severe itchiness, especially of the palms and bottoms of the feet. Their itchy symptoms started around 3rd trimester for both of them. Might not be what you have but better safe than sorry...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I’ve been itchy all over for months. But I have super sensitive skin and the growing, stretching, and hormones combined with the weather have pretty much been a nightmare. Itchiness can be a sign of issues in pregnancy so it’s a good idea to always mention it to your doc but it’s not always a problem. 

Make sure you lotion well and if you have particularly bad spots some hydrocortisone cream or benedryl can help. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    Yeah I've called my midwife but they don't seem to even know what cholestasis is. So I made an appointment in a week since was earliest..guess I'll wait and see.
  • Options
    Yeah I've called my midwife but they don't seem to even know what cholestasis is. So I made an appointment in a week since was earliest..guess I'll wait and see.
    That would be concerning to me. Is this a MW through a hospital system??
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @mamatobe2019 agreed with @emeraldisle87 about cholestasis.  Starting in second tri I started getting unbearably itchy on my palms and soles of my feet and really bad right upper quadrant pain so my ob checked my liver enzymes and bile acids right away which were elevated.  They said they'd watch them until third tri since they weren't "crazy high".  I just had bloodwork again yesterday but I'm at the point that my lower legs and feet are raw (bleeding .. sorry if TMI) from scratching at night.  They're waiting for these results to come back before diagnosing but my OB said it's definitely something that needs to be watched if that's what it is!  

Hope your itching is just another one of those annoying pregnancy symptoms and cream helps! 
  • Options
    Seconding @MRDCle- I’m actually pretty concerned if your midwife isn’t familiar with cholestasis. It’s not extremely common, but it’s a common enough complication that it’s part of the basic curriculum.

Is she a nurse-midwife/accredited, or a lay educated one that can’t practice in a hospital? I would consider switching care if this wasn’t a simple miscommunication.