March 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight: Random Lifesaving Products

We are now out of product spotlight recommendations!!! Anything else you can think of that has made pregnancy and parenting a little easier, tell us about it here!
DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::

Re: Product Spotlight: Random Lifesaving Products

• Was trying to think of anything super spectacular, these aren’t, but definitely came in handy!
    Changing pad liners - my MiL got me some of these with DS and they were surprisingly useful! Especially when he was itty bitty and going through diapers like crazy, these made it super easy to setup a downstairs changing spot so we didn’t have to go upstairs every time https://www.amazon.com/Quilted-Thicker-Waterproof-Changing-BlueSnail/dp/B075ZMCBLG/
    baby swing - a couple of times where DS was sick the swim was the way we got any sleep... we have one similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/Graco-Simple-Sway-Swing-Abbington/dp/B00PTL15D6/
  • These, or similar, dimmable puck lights with remote!!! For the first few months of night time nursing, diaper changes, re-swaddle, repeat. I put one on my nightstand, 1 by the glider, 1 by the changing table. No more darkness stumbling or blaring bright lights. This is a new model in the link, because my original purchase is no longer available, but same features.

SOLLED Wireless LED Puck Lights, Kitchen Under Cabinet Lighting with Remote Control, Battery Powered Dimmable Closet Lights, 4000K Natural Light-3 Pack https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075J9F74W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_FaasCbRQSNQ75
  • Loading the player...
  • swanbroonerswanbrooner member
    edited January 2019
    Things I’m glad we had round one: Triple Paste butt cream, disposable changing pads (nothing fancy, I honestly think we may have used puppy pads), Wubbanub, Boppy Lounger, Nose Freida 
  • @swanbrooner using the puppy pads as changing pads is genius! I have a bunch leftover from potty training DD1.
  • They are also way cheaper than those marketed as baby changing pads! Same for all the other stuff. Last week I got some furniture straps from BuyBuy Baby, and they were $5.99 and flimsy. The screw head broke when DH was trying to install them. He then found earthquake furniture straps on Amazon, all metal and good quality for ~$3. Of course, it was not treated as a baby safety item (I tried adding it to the registry and it didn't qualify for the completion discount).
  • @swanbrooner that nose frieda is a lifesaver. I thought it sounded so gross at first, but it works so well I can get past the nastiness!
  • Ask the hospital for extra supplies. We didn't have a problem with my first pregnancy because we only had one bathroom, but I intend to get supplies for each bathroom: 2 peri bottles and at least 3 or 4 bottles of dermoplast. Last time I ran out of the blue bottles and couldn't find them anywhere in town. The red bottles ARE NOT THE SAME. They sting like a SOB.
  • Does anyone have strong feelings about mobiles for the nursery? I’ve found a bunch that are super cute but didn’t end up getting them. I read they might be overstumulating? What about other mirrors/ toys/ etc for the crib. I know not loose stuffed toys but I’m talking about the ones I’ve seen that attach to the crib rails. Any favorites?

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• edited January 2019
    @3rdtime_charmed My son liked looking at the mobile when he was younger but we didn’t really use it for sleeping purposes since it shut off after a few minutes. If you plan on doing sleep training, I think CIO method says not to have anything because it’s overstimulating. I’d say it depends on the baby. My son loved the little Einstein fish 

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16068019674191894263/image?safe=strict&client=safari&hl=en-us&biw=375&bih=553&q=little+einstein+fish&oq=little+einstein+fish&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjk17Gk6IjgAhXtkOAKHWPvBd8QnUAIGQ&prds=cid:16068019674191894263,paur:ClkAsKraXy1kwEYoF8HmRivE7IigrBY5Q0KfJSJbocV2gbF05fGu_0_c7PVW9AfyScsoAISju83ZD1bJpu3ySip6IQq0J3oFy4clt30X7OyvNCmCvU5vSnB0bRIZAFPVH72PrgSGJvWaoc6hiy3Xuwbkyq0CkQ,sgro:iv,mvi:0

We have a hatch light now that plays all kinds of soothing sounds which he loves now as a 20 month old.
  • @3rdtime_charmed we didn't have any sort of toys or decorations on the crib itself. I figured the crib is for sleeping so any sort of toys/entertainment is counter productive. She wasn't in there much more than to sleep anyway. We did use a sound machine from pretty much day 1, but that was more to drown out any background noise than anything else. DD1 still needs her crickets to sleep.
  • @3rdtime_charmed we didn’t have anything when our son was an infant and he honestly wasn’t in his crib in the beginning much. But after he got older (maybe around 6ish months) I was desperate to do anything to help him sleep/stay longer in his bed. We got the baby “Einstein sea dreams soother” it looks like an aquarium and attaches to the side of the crib. He still uses it to this day (21 months) but the batteries have to be replaced often (up to once a week for awhile). I’m not sure if it was 100% necessary but we got a Gift Card to babies R us after our registry there and used it on that. He does use it still and I think it can be calming for him. I have seen it at TJMax marked down as well since then. We used the CIO method and he has slept through the night since we implemented that (probably around 8-9 months) I have no idea if the soother helped in that or not. 
  • Taking Cara babies (who I follow on Instagram and has a sleep class that I haven't taken yet) suggests a mobile over the changing station so we did that. And then it turns out my mom still had the one attached to my crib when I was a baby so that is currently set up too, but we might move it if it's too much. 
  • @3rdtime_charmed We had one, but only used it from 2-3 months onwards. Before that it was too stimulating, so we removed it. It helped to keep DS1 entertained while in the safety of his crib, for me to get ready in the morning or go briefly to the restroom. 
  • I’m excited to use my milky milk saver in the beginning this time. Everyone talked about it last time and I didn’t get it until a few months in and by that time by boobs had learned not to let down on both sides when feeding. But in the beginning I probably could have saved dozens of ounces and shirt changes by using it. 
  • Oh yes! One other thing I enjoyed was having a loose oversized super soft sports bra. I leaked so much all the time that I had to wear nursing pads 24/7 which means always having to wear something to hold them in place and it’s so uncomfortable having to wear a nursing bra all the time. With a loose sports bra I could stick pads in it but still easily lift it for access to feed. That usually what I slept in every night. 
  • @meggyme DD still uses the crickets to sleep some nights, too! She'll tell me "Can I have my crickets? It's just like camping!" and how can I say no to that? :)