2nd Trimester
Options

Switching obgyn at 15 weeks

I am pregnant with my 3rd amd 15 weeks pregnant. Due to being in debt from my other 2, I had to find a new obgyn for this one. I have been seen by my mew obgyn twice and I am not impressed at all. 2 weeks fter my first appointment I was told I have a uti by the doctors office .My antibiotic they sent to the pharmacy was not effective to treat uti's according to my pharmacist. At my second visit, I explained the situation to my doctor who said "so you didn't even bother to fill it?" And prescribed another antibiotic to me. When I picked that one up amd googled it every search clearly stated not to take it in the 1st and 3rd trimester and should only be prescribed if there is no other antibiotic available . I'm now in my second trimester and looking to switch obgyns. I don't have any symptoms of a uti, besides frequent urination which I dont believe is linked at all. My bladder is shot after #2, I actually owed myself at the end of my last pregnancy and went to the hospital because I thought my water broke. The issue is, every doctor I call days I should continue seeing my current doctor or they arent accepting new patients. How do I get one to accept me?! I refuse to see a doctor who is prescribing me dangerous medication for no reason. It should not be this hard for a pregnant woman to be seen!

Re: Switching obgyn at 15 weeks

• Options
    @sbutton03

1. so you're in debt to your previous obgyn? This could be a big reason why no one else wants to see you. 

2. you should be able to see your urinalysis results online, which will clue you in on why they suspect a UTI (usually the presence of white blood cells, red blood cells, or bacteria in the urine). If they didn't do a culture to figure out which bacteria is present, you can request one. Not treating a UTI while pregnant may lead to a kidney infection, which can cause early labor and low birth weight.

3. Did you ask your current doctor why they prescribed the first or second type of antibiotic? Or ask them about the safety of the second? I'd be inclined to trust an actual doctor over google. 

*Formerly LuND*
    Me: 35 | DH: 37
    TTC: 7/2016
    Low AMH, mild MFI
    BFP 7/29/17
    EDD: 4/5/18
    <3  DS born 4/4/18  <3
    BFP #2 7/2/19
    EDD 3/13/20

• Options
    sbutton03 said:
    I am pregnant with my 3rd amd 15 weeks pregnant. Due to being in debt from my other 2, I had to find a new obgyn for this one. I have been seen by my mew obgyn twice and I am not impressed at all. 2 weeks fter my first appointment I was told I have a uti by the doctors office .My antibiotic they sent to the pharmacy was not effective to treat uti's according to my pharmacist. At my second visit, I explained the situation to my doctor who said "so you didn't even bother to fill it?" And prescribed another antibiotic to me. When I picked that one up amd googled it every search clearly stated not to take it in the 1st and 3rd trimester and should only be prescribed if there is no other antibiotic available . I'm now in my second trimester and looking to switch obgyns. I don't have any symptoms of a uti, besides frequent urination which I dont believe is linked at all. My bladder is shot after #2, I actually owed myself at the end of my last pregnancy and went to the hospital because I thought my water broke. The issue is, every doctor I call days I should continue seeing my current doctor or they arent accepting new patients. How do I get one to accept me?! I refuse to see a doctor who is prescribing me dangerous medication for no reason. It should not be this hard for a pregnant woman to be seen!
    I mean, you can't force a doctor's office to accept you. All you can do is keep calling and try to find one. Are you on any sort of payment plan with your former OB? Can you talk to them about that and see if they'll take you back if you're making regular payments? Also, look around for nonprofit hospitals, public hospitals or community health centers or any place with a sliding fee scale. There are places that accept patients without regard to whether they can pay and that adjust fees based on income. 

In the meantime, if it's possible you do have a UTI (and there has to be more to it than frequent urination; that's so so common in pregnancy), there are OTC supplements you could try like cranberry pills (cystex is one brand name) or d-mannose. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wasnt clear but I spoke to my pharmacist about both medications and was advised to have the doctor call another in, but I made an appointment with my primary doctor. Ive had uti's before that were extremely uncomfortable, but not a single symptom now. I am on a payment plan with the ob, and I've already asked of there's anything I can do to be seen amd that's pay it all off. I work full time, I have insurace, 2 health insurances actually. The doctors office I'm going to now is terrible compared to my last one. My doctor is no longer around either, but I had seen a couple of others in his practice for some appointments with my previous pregnancies. I feel like I'm going to pass out multiple times a day and he literally didnt look into it at all amd said "there's nothing I can do about that" I eat small meals through out the day and I have no problem drinking water .I did drink cranberry juice for a while when I found out about the "uti."  Unfortunately there just arent a lot of providers in the area so my options were limited to begin with. I'm going to discuss options with my primary doctor, they will see me until 20 weeks amd can hopefully refer me someplace where doctors do their job .