3rd Trimester

Can your water break at 1cm?

Im 37 weeks and 3 days with my second and I’ve been at 1cm since she started checking last week and she hasn’t dropped yet. My son was the same way and I had to get induced at 41 weeks 5 days and I really did not enjoy that experience.  I’m just curious if any other moms have had their water break or gone into labor at 1cm..

Re: Can your water break at 1cm?

• Im 37 weeks and 3 days with my second and I’ve been at 1cm since she started checking last week and she hasn’t dropped yet. My son was the same way and I had to get induced at 41 weeks 5 days and I really did not enjoy that experience.  I’m just curious if any other moms have had their water break or gone into labor at 1cm..
    I've heard of C-sections that were necessary for failure to progress after water breaking.  Once it break as it's like a 24 hour count down - then they talk about C-section to prevent issues/infection/etc. For safety of baby and mom. 
  • FWIW, I went in for an appointment at 10:30am at 38+4. Was a 1 & 25%, and he was still high. Made the super conservative choice for H to stay home from his business trip the next few days. By 10:00pm, my water broke. By 10:00am the next morning, I had a baby in my arms. Every birth is totally different. But yes, it’s totally possible for things to change quickly.

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Loading the player...
  • With my second, I went to L&D for bleeding at 39+2 and was told I wasn't dilated at all yet.  When the nurse left the room to get my discharge paperwork, my water broke on the triage table.  DD2 was in my arms 4 hours later.

You do not have to be dilated at all for your water to break.  You don't have to be dilated at all for true labor contractions to start either.  At my 39w appointment with my first, I was told I "wasn't even a fingertip" dilated yet, but I went into labor and had her at 39+6.

Also, existing dilation has no bearing on when you'll go into labor.  My BFF was dilated to 3cm for more than 3 weeks with her first before she wound up getting induced for high BP.  With my third I was dilated to 1cm at 37w and was up to 2.5cm at 40+6 when I finally went into labor after a membrane sweep earlier that day.  So for me, existing dilation was inversely proportional to how long it would be before labor started 🤷‍♀️
  • Yes, my water broke with my first at 37+3 and I was only 1 cm when I got to triage. I was given pitocin about 8 hours later because I was only 2 cm and they wanted things to progress more quickly. 
  • yup! my water broke at 38 weeks with my first. I was 1cm when I got to the hospital...
  • I was 1.5 cm dilated when my water broke with my now 9 year old son. The labor and delivery  nurses were a bit surprised  when they discovered that fact.