July 2019 Moms
Options

Doulas

Anyone considering our already hired a doula? We had an amazing doula for our first and we are in talks with her again. I think we’ll go ahead with it. I had to convince my husband that it was worth it when I was pregnant with my first and he came out a HUGE doula believer after labour and delivery. We had some complications and she was a Godsend in helping us. Her massing hands and presssure was like heavenly angels during contractions. Plus she was available anytime while I was pregnant for questions or concerns, we met up multiple times before. And after birth she came to my house twice to help with postpartum things and breastfeeding. All around she was a great emotional support. I highly recommend it! 

Re: Doulas

• Options
    We reserved with a doula group for our first, and we loved it. Even though it was a lot of money, and even though I eventually had a semi-emergency c-section, my DH said in the end that it was worth every penny. It was wonderful being with a group of women we trusted, someone was always on call to talk to me, walk me through questions. We did our birthing class with them as well, it was great. I was in pre-labor for almost a month before the due date, and they were all sympathetic, helped me with my symptoms, told me I wasn't crazy (it helped so much). 

One of them came to attend my ECV (where they flip the baby head down into birthing position) even though that's not always part of their contract, and she kept me so calm, and we ended up having her for our labor too! She also came to check on us after, talked to be about my PPD.

I really wish we could do it again, but since another c-sec is likely, and we know what to expect, I don't really feel like I can afford it. I *may* be considering a part-partum doula. As much as I love both our moms, I'd love having someone come around for me, not the baby.
  • Options
    @foodislove Yes agree about the mom thing. Love her but I don’t want her in LD room. A doula is really there for maternal care and has the skills needed. My mom will come later and just enjoy the baby snuggles. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @foodislove I’m curious what did a Doula group cost? I had one doula the whole time who had a backup if she suddenly couldn’t make it to the birth. It was $550 Canadian in 2016. It’s gone up to $650-700 now but she’s honouring the first price for us.
  • Options
    @canuckmomma +100 to needing someone for you. Neither of the moms have the right energy to deal with me when I feel close to crisis or when I'm worrying. 

As for the doula cost, out here in the DC area, for a group, it was $1800, which wasn't that much more than going for just a single doula (which I think was around $1200). That was 2016. 
  • Options
    I'm really on the fence. I think we've got to wait for some finances (taxes, a new house) to settle out over the next few months before deciding. We had one with our first but it was included in the midwife services - we loved having her even though it really was just during the labor and delivery that she was actually there.
    Here they run from like $1500-$2000 - which is some real money in our world, but the rest of this baby is free so we're entertaining the idea.
  • Options
    I wanted to go with a doula.. but not sure whether or not that will happen yet because our prenatal provider is a bit different. My midwifery assigns you a team of 3 midwives + a student midwife and in this particular practice they serve kind of a dual purpose of doula and nurse midwife. I'm thinking of asking their opinion at the next visit. We have a midwifery college here that also trains doulas and the option of hiring a student doula for less financial commitment could be doable. 
  • Options
    @erynpdx I just noticed it was you who posted above me. Have you considered student doulas? There are a few different training programs around here so there's the very real possibility of finding someone for less money.
  • Options
    @mamanbebe Maybe a student doula would be a good option for me this time around, since I DO want to try for a VBAC. Where would I even look if we are with an OBGYN?
  • Options
    @foodislove try googling student doulas or doula training for your city, you might get a mix of different doula practices that have intern doulas, doula training centers and directories like https://doulamatch.net where you can skim through a lot of profiles and check out those who have a really low fee because they are usually students. 
  • Options
    For anyone who hasn’t used one before, just check and make sure your hospital allows it. Ours doesn’t allow doulas in the delivery room 🤷🏻‍♀️
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 I hadn't even thought about this!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 - No snark here... honestly wondering... If they didn't ANNOUNCE themselves as a doula, how would they know it wasn't just a knowledgeable friend/family member? 
  • Options
    One of my cousin's and another close friend are doulas, but they both live in a different state as me, so that wouldn't work - at least, I don't think - because of licensing and the fact that they live far away. I did find a doula practice in my area and it looks to run about $1000 U.S., so I'm considering it since I'm an FTM. It may take some convincing for hubs, but with us not having any family and friends living nearby, it may be wonderful to have for some guidance and reassurance as we go through this whole pregnancy thing for the first time.

Oooh, good point, @ameliabedelia-2, about checking to see if the hospital allows it. Hadn't thought of that, but will look into it!
  • Options
    I’m a STM and we are definitely hiring a postpartum doula. I am having a c section a few days prior to my son starting 1st grade, so I need someone to help (in addition to hubby). We don’t have any family to help and our son has severe anxiety and emotional problems...likely to be triggered by a new baby and new school. 
  • Options
    @nerdtoyourmother, I’m guessing a lot of the midwives and OBs know who the doulas are, and could tell how they act during a delivery. At my hospital only 2 people are allowed in the room. They banned doulas because there were issues with what the doulas were doing/recommending and what the OBs were recommending. Doulas are only allowed at the new natural birthing wing (no meds or monitoring). If you want the option of a medicated birth you can’t deliver in the natural birthing wing with the doulas. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Options
    @ameliabedelia-2 My hospital loves doulas as we unfortunately have a nurse shortage so with a doula present it lessens the responsibility of the nurses to be the moms maternal support (other than signif other) and they can focus more on the medical side of things. With that said I found my nurses to be absolutely amazing, very supportive and caring.
  • Options
    I had a doula for my first pregnancy. She was AMAZING. At the time, I was a single mom and didn't have anyone with during my 19 hours of labor, so having her was a godsend. The price was $1000, but included postpartum visits too. 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    Even though I have always been team epidural, we had a doula for our first and have already hired a doula for this pregnancy. 

Our first doula was a student doula, and she was INCREDIBLE. I was actually the last birth she needed in order to become an official certified doula, so we really lucked up. She was only like $600, and this was in a high cost of living area where doulas usually cost about $1200.

Our new doula is also only $600, but we now live in an extremely low cost of living area. She is certified and was a labor and delivery nurse for 15 years. I'm so excited to have her.

Even though I got an epidural, I think doulas are still incredible to have around. Labor and delivery moves faster if you move as much as possible, drink, pee, and feel comfortable. Our doula was great at reminding me to do all of these things in early labor. Once I got the epidural, she continued to flip me over from side to side with a peanut ball between my legs every couple of hours. My first L&D was a breeze! Labor was only about 8 hours (my water broke first, so this really only equated to about 4 hours of serious contractions), pushing was only about 20 minutes, and I didn't have any tearing or stitches. I'm sure some of this was probably just good luck, but I think part of it was having our doula to keep me calm and focussed. 
  • Options
    @mamanbebe I just filled out the interest form on Doula Love!
  • Options
    @erynpdx Hooray! Let me know how it goes! 
  • Options
    As you all know by now, I'm a person who likes to keep things simple. I do not plan to have a doula in the delivery room. Probably be DH and me. Maybe my mom, MIL, or SIL. (I'm one of those people who doesn't care.) So, what can I expect with no doula?

(Also going to ask this is the "ask a STM" thread in case it's more appropriate there.)
  • Options
    @cindler You can expect someone that is 100% there for you. She is meant solely for maternal care, comfort and support. Also she aids as someone who can "dumb things down" when you need help or you have questions. She should be very familiar with all types of births and help make the experience a positive one by advocating for you. Also its nice to have someone "from the outside" to cheer you on and support you. Yes husbands/Significant others are amazing but in my experience nothing could have prepared him for labour and birth (and we attended birthing classes) and she was a support to him by telling him how to help me when he may have felt lost. She held our camera and took some cherished photos. She brought other handy tools to help in my labouring process. She would have come to my home to labour with me if my water hadn't already broke. We ended up meeting her at the hospital. She was an amazing addition to our birth team. Personally I don't want any family members in the room (mother, MIL) so this was the best choice for us. I did not expect the flood of emotions postpartum too and she was a major emotional support. Not to mention had vast BF'ing knowledge, which i was struggling with big time. 

Oh and she massaged me during contractions and showed my husband exactly where to put pressure on my hips... HEAVENLY. Id pay for the massage hands alone.