July 2019 Moms

Placenta Encapsulation

I want to know if any of you mommas have encapsulated your placenta? I used to get so grossed out at the thought of this but my neighbor swears by it and I've been doing a lot of reading the past two weeks about the benefits post partum and I'm intrigued but want to know if anyone else has had a first hand experience?
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Placenta Encapsulation

• I have some friends who did, they aren’t certain that it was beneficial or not but happy they did it. To encapsulate I believe they have to boil down the placenta before dehydration, which leaves it questionable whether or not many helpful nutrients remain. Some midwives and doulas will immediately make a fruit smoothie with some fresh pieces blended in right after delivery to help with lactation, I’m unsure if you can freeze it to continue to do that though. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for sharing, I'll read through it. I've considered it because I have supply issues but I haven't asked my midwives about it yet. 
  • @mamanbebe curious to know what they say! It seems like the most major benefit is milk supply and helping with depression. Two things I'm terrified of.
  • @babyginjuly I’ll ask next week and report back :) 
  • I've considered doing this too! Not sure if it's worth the cost though🤔
  • I did it :) took the pills for about a month right after giving birth. Not sure what exactly they did-but I didn’t have any post partum depression, and my energy levels were pretty good (things my doula said would be affected) planning to do it again this time around :)

i live in the Philippines so I’m not sure how much it costs in the US. My doula charged about $100 additional to her services to do it :) 
  • @InesCH it’s $200 where I am 
  • Not exactly about encapsulation but is anyone including anything placenta related on their birth plan? In the past I've asked to see it before they throw it away. This time I'd like to touch it. Am I weird? Hahaha
  • I forgot to update after my visit with my midwives.

I asked about placenta smoothies and encapsulation and they say that it is anecdotal. The owner of the practice who has been a midwife for over 30 years says that some mothers claim to see a definite increase in milk production and general improvement in ppd. But she also says that some mothers see a return of medical issues that were present during pregnancy, like pre-eclampsia, as soon as they start ingesting the placenta but that they resolve when they stop taking it. Another thing she noted was that if you have insufficient glandular tissue, it probably will not help much.

That being said, even with moderate IGT, I'm still planning on trying fresh or frozen placenta in berry smoothies to see if it helps at all. 
  • I used to be grossed out by this... but i did suffer from some mild post baby depression (not full on PPD) that lasted about 3 months and my milk supply was non existent (tried all the other things) so I would consider it... Might bring it up with my Doula in a few weeks. 
  • You ladies are brave. I don’t think this is something I can do. Way to go! 
  • My doula encapsulated mine. And placebo or not I feel like it helped my mood and overall feeling of balance. Definitely doing it again with sweet baby #2
  • *Lurker* FWIW, my sister had hers encapsulated with both babies. First one, she had no PPD and credited the placenta. Second one, she did the exact same and had wicked PPD. If you feel like it’s worth a shot, go for it. But, do still pay attention and ask those around you to pay attention and watch for PPD/PPA. It’s a terrible way to feel and spend your time. Some people think that they couldn’t take anything and nurse. Zoloft is generally considered okay for nursing. You can certainly start with therapy or the lowest possible dose if that makes you feel more comfortable but seek help. Even if you end up needing something that you can’t nurse with, you deserve to be happy and your baby needs a happy, healthy mom more than they need breast milk. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • I'm doing it! Just set up the contract and information on Friday, the woman who I am working with has been extremely helpful putting up with a laundry list of questions for weeks from me!