September 2019 Moms
Options

FTM Check-In January

edited January 2019 in September 2019 Moms
Hey yall! Hoping that there will be enough overlap w/ the weekly EDD threads & the STM/FTM monthlies PLUS all the other daily threads that are suggested in our organization thread that we can all get to know each other while not being overwhelmed. This is a great monthly to fill out & then keep tagging each other in with stuff specific to FTMs.

Due Date/W+D:

Are you doing anything to capture/journal your pregnancy?

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary?

Appointments?

Questions?

GTKY: What's the best vacation you've ever been on &/or what is your dream vacation?

Re: FTM Check-In January

• Options
    Now that I have appointments scheduled, I shall start!

Due Date/W+D: 9/13 / 4w1d

Are you doing anything to capture/journal your pregnancy? I bought a book called The Nine--I did some research when we were TTGP to see which pregnancy journal I wanted & that one seemed the best for me. I also have a VIP FF membership, so I'm using that as well to keep track of symptoms & meds for now. 

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary? Rant: I got super sick yesterday bc of something I ate & panicked. I did not sleep well last night either. Eating is really hard for me when I'm traveling bc I usually eat really well & that's hard on the road. I'm traveling, and I just want to be home, & that won't be until Tuesday night & blah. I am going to see if I can move my flight up w/out any cost to me, but it's unlikely & even then, I still have a two-day drive back home w/ DH & our doggies--I'm flying back into where we spent the holidays, not where we live.  / Rave: I gave a paper yesterday at the conference I'm traveling for, and it went well. I am going to try to see a friend I know in this city & also go to the art museum today. Another rave, my Mom (who is the only person besides Drs who knows for now) was super helpful on the phone in calming me down & giving me advice after I got sick.

Appointments? I scheduled them yesterday! My first official appointment & U/S is 2/5
    tw: prev. loss
    They also wanted me to come in earlier bc of my prev. CP for "labs" to monitor my HGC/Progesterone levels, so I'm going in this upcoming Wed. & then a week later. I was so glad I mentioned my CP on the phone to the receptionist, who booked the U/S & first appointment, bc she transferred me to the nurse who was like, yes, come in sooner.

Questions? Not really! Just looking forward to getting to know the other FTMs here!

GTKY: What's the best vacation you've ever been on &/or what is your dream vacation? I can't pinpoint a BEST vacation-- but my dream vacation would be to visit Japan.
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom sorry about the long journey home, but congrats on the talk at the conference! That's exciting. I was part of a side session at a conference recently and it was so rewarding.

Due Date/W+D: 9/14ish

I have one in my Amazon cart at the moment, called 'as you grow'... Guess I should go ahead and order that. This one also goes through 1st year milestones and the design is beautiful.

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary?
    Rant: My in-laws are coming to visit this month but i want to wait until after my first appt to tell them and, well, I selfishly want to tell my parents first. I think I'm going to fake a cold or order a drink and have DH drink it lol. It will be obvious if I'm not drinking all weekend.

Rave: We are in the process of getting quotes for some work on our house (kitchen and bathroom renovation) so we can (hopefully) have an awesome new space before September. So exciting!

Appointments? February 7 (I should be right at 9 weeks)...so far away

Questions? Not yet

GTKY: What's the best vacation you've ever been on &/or what is your dream vacation?
    Favorite...maybe Scotland. I fell in love with the landscape and history, plus the people are kind and the whisky is 👌
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @kagesstarshroom sorry you're still traveling. I know how difficult it can be sometimes. I travel a lot for work and even though I love it I would rather be home. Congrats on the presentation.

@pennylane91 good luck with the remodel. We just did our bathroom and it was such a headache. But I do love my new bathroom.

Due Date/W+D: Sept 9th 4w6d

Are you doing anything to capture/journal your pregnancy? No hadn't really thought of it but now that you mention I will look into what is mentioned here.

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary? I am sick with a horrible cough so it sucks and I can't sleep. I've had coughing fits in the middle of the night the past 2 nights. Just sucking on cough drops and drinking tea w/ honey & lemon. Would love any suggestions for this cough.  At least I am finally home now so that's much better.

Appointments? 2nd beta tomorrow then we'll make our 1st appt. 

GTKY: What's the best vacation you've ever been on &/or what is your dream vacation? Not really a vacation but I studied abroad in Rome for a semester in undergrad. Loved it. Traveled all over Italy that summer. 
  • Options
    yay more FTM are here!

@pennylane91 I've been drinking bubbly water w/ a slice of lime & ice & it LOOOKS like it could be like a vodka tonic or something. <3 I also like the idea of having DH just drink your drink. I did a lot of that during the TWW actually, I would order something, sip it a little & then make DH finish it. Needless to say, he did not mind. 

@maserrano714 I have my first beta on this Wed. There's a blog post I remember reading when I first did my HW on "pregnancy journals" that compares & contrasts them & that's how I chose mine. I keep being, like "scared" to fill in the weeks, but I filled in week 3 during week 3 & plan on doing 4 during week 4 & also plan on going back & filling in 1 + 2--maybe after I get my betas results? // I'm super sorry you've been sick. I've had a sore throat the past two mornings & it was super cold in Chicago, so I hope the sore throat isn't an indicator that getting sick is coming. also, we're finally on our way back home today. two dogs. two days. one car. but so glad to be headed home.
  • Options
    Due Date/W+D: 9/17

Are you doing anything to capture/journal your pregnancy? No - it actually didn't really occur to me. I am using a Wholesome App to track my diet. I want to eat healthy, but I worry about consuming right amounts and getting enough. 

Rants: We are trying to decide when to tell our parents. My mother has been so eager that we received parenting books for Christmas. I mentioned looking at prenatal vitamins once and the emails from my mother have been constant. My in-laws didn't want to serve me wine because they saw we received parenting books. I drank over Christmas holidays as we weren't trying and didn't realize we were pregnant. My brother-in-law called my H the other day to give him unsolicited advice on how to get pregnant and what they did (not knowing we are already pregnant). We are very blessed and extremely happy, and I know we should be thankful for such involved families. I am not excited to tell them as I am sure there will be questions about why I was drinking, how did we not plan, and a plethora of unsolicited advice. 

Appointments? February 8

Questions? Does anyone know how to help with the fatigue?

GTKY: What's the best vacation you've ever been on &/or what is your dream vacation? Hmmm....I really love Florence and all the wine in Italy. I'll just dream about it for nine months. 

@maserrano714 I travel for work as well, any tips on managing pregnancy + travel?

• Options
    @summerd19 I wish I knew how to help with the fatigue--I read somewhere eating berries is good if you get tired in the afternoons. But that was not applicable specifically to pregnancy. It was this great article about what to eat depending on when your fatigue sets in. Anyway. I have been trying to set manageable goals for myself each day--I have a good planner, which helps, too, & then--sticking to the list & being proud of what I did accomplish rather than dwelling on everything I have to do. That's more about productivity in spite of fatigue, though...
  • Options
    Due Date/W+D: 3 weeks, 4 days - Due 9/22

Are you doing anything to capture/journal your pregnancy? I hadn't really thought about it to be honest. But now that I am I like the "As you Grow" book that @PennyLane91 referenced.

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary?

Thinking about when to tell parents. My dad is in town next week and my mom's birthday is January 19th. It's early but idk. I've got to talk to DH about it.

Appointments?

So, I had scheduled my annual a while back with a local midwife and that is on 1/29. Probably going to keep that appointment, but I am sort of shopping around because I am not sure what hospital I want to give birth at and it is very doctor specific.

Questions?

Nah.

So, we just got back from an amazing trip to Ireland in November. HOWEVER, the most relaxing vacation I had was with DH last year in Jamaica. I want to go back so bad.

• Options
    @cmdesigner Yay welcome to the FTM thread! DH & I are going to Jamaica towards the end of February! I've never been & hope we have a relaxing time, too. I am going to tell my brother there, as he'll be there. We are going w/ my Mom & her boyfriend, & my Mom already knows. **tw: loss I am keeping whom I tell pretty small right now *just in case*--I told DH that whomever he tells he will also have to be comfortable telling about a loss, in case anything happens. My levels look good, though, says the doc, so FX! end tw** That's how I am basically deciding who to tell when. He told his twin sister. So, so far, we each told one person--who likely told their significant other & hopefully respected our wishes not to tell anyone else.
  • Options
    bumping this up for any other FTM who want to share/comment this Jan.! 
  • Options
    Due Date/W+D: 9/15 / 5w+5d

Are you doing anything to capture/journal your pregnancy? I bought a pregnancy journal from Michael's last summer that I've misplaced and have been looking everywhere for. For now, I've been putting sticky notes on my refrigerator of dates, symptoms and cravings until I can find my journal...or buy a new one.

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary? Rant: I have a firm mattress and have not slept in the bed with DH since Jan. 8th. It's way too uncomfortable all of a sudden. I've been sleeping on the couch and it has been the best sleep that I've gotten since I was a kid. We have to get a new mattress though because that one feels like concrete.  

Appointments? (Also a rant) I scheduled my first appointment yesterday with a midwife for Jan. 28th however, I was told that the first appointment would just be a pregnancy test to confirm the pregnancy and then I would have to schedule another appointment for the US/blood work/pap. It doesn't make sense for me to have to make an appointment just to pee on a stick. I feel like they should also be able to (at the very least) draw my blood and do an US in the same appointment.

Questions? Can constipation cause a miscarriage? TMI but, I've been afraid to push too hard.

GTKY: The best vacation that I went on was when my mother, brother flew to Hawaii for a week and I was able to swim with dolphins. My dream vacation is to visit Thailand and get a bunch of $5 massages while watching the sun set. 
  • Options
    nomangos23nomangos23 member
    edited January 2019
    @Trice&Jay Girl I have the saaammmeee fears about miscarriage. So much that I just switched my prenatal to one that has less iron so I'm not having so many tummy troubles. I don't *think* it can cause miscarriage but considering I literally thought the same thing yesterday.... I'm really only saying that to console you  :D. I do think it's silly for them to bring you in just for a pg test. I woulda asked if I could have just mailed one of mine in and saved the copay. haha. 
  • Options
    @Trice&Jay @nomangos23 get some colace! Lol. I thought I was going to have to switch prenatals too but even just taking one stool softener every other day has helped tremendously lol.

Re: first appt... I've been wondering about what it will consist of. Most say it will include u/s but I guess I should call to be sure (was timing telling my parents after first appt for that reason). I'll be almost 9 wks. Did they give a reason why they separate it out or could you just postpone the appt a week so they could include u/s? 
  • Options
    @nomangos23 we ended up telling everyone last weekend. My dad couldn't come up, so we just called/facetimed people. My MIL was over for dinner on Sunday so we told her then. She and my dad cried. My mom dropped the F bomb  :D Everyone is very excited! I feel like I had to give a disclaimer because it's so early but people were still excited nonetheless.

@Trice&Jay @nomangos23 ya'll need to start taking probiotics.

Re: First Appointment I have my first appointment on 1/29 and my midwife will just do POAS and a pap smear + medical history. I was told to expect it to take an hour. I think my first US will be closer to 10 weeks? I know it's a bit different with a midwife, though. They are a bit less test inclined. However, I had called my PCP because I am having my normal yearly blood panel run (I had bariatric surgery 4 years ago and have to have all my vitamins checked) and I asked her to add a pregnancy panel to that order. She was happy to add that to my list of things. What's one more vile of blood, really?
  • Options
    @nomangos23 yes the food is absolutely amazing in Italy. Every single thing I tried was delicious although since then I have become lactose intolerant so I'm not sure if I could enjoy it the same. But some food is totally worth the crappy symptoms (no pun intended).
  • Options
    Due Date/W+D: 9/17/5w+5d

I’m journaling in a pregnancy journal from amazon 

Rants/Raves/Dear Diary?

I’m visiting family right now, and I elected to tell them. I’ve heard horror stories from several family members, and I’m thinking, “who tells a FTM this stuff?!?!” They have to know I’m already terrified, and I don’t need more fuel added to the worry fire.

Appointments?

My first appointment isn’t until February 4, so I’ve had a lot of time to think and let my imagination run. 

best vacation I went on was Austria, Germany, and Switzerland this December. We’d alread been for the Xmas season a few years ago, and we loved it so much we had to go back. The Xmas markets are magical!
  • Options
    @pennylane91When I called, they scheduled a u/s and then my "first appointment" to immediately follow that--like, as though they were two separate but related things. I think that the u/s is often separate but linked/scheduled as close to the first appt as possible, and this might be (I'm guessing?) because u/s technicians aren't always present/available/on duty/are different than the obs themselves? So when I called they scheduled me for a u/s w the tech & then an appt w/ the ob. Curious what you discovered if/when you called.

@Trice&Jay they might pull bloodwork to verify the PG? or did they specifically specify you'd be POAS? I'd love to go to Thailand for the food & your HI vacay sounds rad. Also, I take the point made by @cmdesigner that appointments likely differ depending on if you're calling an ob's office/midwife/etc. 

@nomangos23 Sorry yr DH is not getting it! That sounds.... difficult to deal with. My friend, who is a philosopher, wrote a blog post about how being KU is a "labor"--like, growing a baby is WORK-- but not respected as such. // Also, I now kind of wish I'd waited until post-12 weeks to do my pregnancy journal, but at the same time, I am like Robinson Crusoe & really like recording stuff soooo...

@wilderlace oh that's so "nice" of your fam to tell you a million horror stories! it's probably all stuff they "wish they'd known" but sounds like their delivery-vehicles are off haha. the worry fires are real. 2/4 was my original first appt too! but i'm going in 1/25 for a second u/s instead to make sure everything is going okay bc reasons. not sure if i'll still have the 2/4 appt (if everything is "fine"; obvs won't if everything's "not fine," but i digress.)