April 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Music

MRDCleMRDCle member
edited January 2019 in April 2019 Moms
What is your go to Spotify/Pandora/satellite radio/radio station?

EDIT! I'm talking music currently. While I listen to podcasts a majority of the time, I wanna know your musical tastes!
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: GTKY: Music

• Options
    I like Robyn and Shut up and Dance when I’m cleaning :)
  • Options
    a like a good mix of 90s music and pop. But my favorite band is Panic at the disco. If I can't sing to it I don't like it. 

DH likes  instrumental music and techno. I made him make a playlist for his car that has all his music but only songs with words lol

I was listening to a spotify premade list this morning called "Morning Motivation" and its pretty much my style
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    My go-to stations are Spotify "All Out 70s" and "70s Road Trip" so we get a lot of classic rock around our house, though sometimes I'll do Decemberists radio. This morning in the car it was Daft Punk/Ratatat, but last week it was the soundtrack to Jesus Christ Superstar.

When DH picks something else it's usually Kid Cudi or Mumford and Sons Radio (and when I'm not home, Eminem Radio).

DS doesn't seem to have much in terms of musical tastes yet, which seems odd, but he definitely likes "Everything is Awesome" by Tegan and Sara and Lonely Island and DMX.  

@kosmo86 almost every Sunday am that I'm doing breakfast I put on Spotify's "Have a Great Day!" station. It's a good one!
  • Options
    oh, boy. I don't have a spotify station I go to, except at work when I need to tune people out, I will listen to a james horner playlist.

I've been listening to my old-ass, totally un-updated ipod playlist lately which includes the following:

alkaline trio
    the smiths
    the secret sisters
    a bunch of random 90s alternative
    a handful of 90s rap/hip-hop
    wu-tang clan
    the beastie boys
    the pixies

among a bunch of other crap

my small personal spotify playlist includes random singles from:

gin blossoms
    elliott smith
    jay z
    pentatonix
    some dinsey tunes
    the barden bellas
    the lumineers
    destiny's child
    sam smith
    the carpenters
    the cranberries
    burl ives

my taste is all over the place. I was in a ska band in high school, to shed some light on my weirdness.
  • Options
    @batmama31 I def laighed a little when I got to Burl Ives on your list. Like, his Christmas music?
  • Options
    I’m mostly a country music girl but, sometimes listen to top 40. My favorite pandora stations right now are Dan + Shay, Kane Brown, and Jason Aldean. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Anniversary
  • Options
    @MRDCle, 😂 i know, right?! actually, my son went thru a period where he insisted on listening to the fantastic mr. fox soundtrack on repeat. and there is a lot of burl ives on there. i didn’t even know about him until then. but yeah, this last holiday season, i instantly recognized his voice and style when his carols came on on our local holiday radio station 😂 
  • Options
    @batmama31 that's too funny - DS just watched the Fantastic Mr. Fox the other day with DH and last night he asked me to watch "The Great Fox" with him. Guess I would have been more in-tune to Burl if I had indulged him, ha!
  • Options
    Needtobreathe 
    Mat Kearney
    Carly Rae Jepsen 
    Owl City 
    Disney classics
    Coldplay
    Mumford and Sons
    Imagine Dragons
    Ben Rector

Those are all the ones I’ve asked Alexa to play for me recently. Haha. 
  • Options
    My music taste has pretty much been the same since 2010 but with a few additions, for example:
    Florence and the machine
    Bon iver
    Seinabo sey
    Regina Spektor
    First aid kit 
    Beirut

Though for dancing I like a wider set of music 😊💃
  • Options
    @MRDCle, I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the movie. but it is a wes anderson film based on a book by my favorite children's author, so idk why I was so surprised.  :D (and wes anderson generally has bomb soundtracks for his films.)
  • Options
    Oh yes all the toddler music. DD is 2 and loves kid songs. The biggest issue is she requires me to listen to them on repeat in the car. I regularly tell her it is broken. This morning I listened to the finger family song on repeat the whole ride to daycare (about 20 minutes). The only good part is she sings along and it is so so cute
    Me: 32 DH: 31
    TTC #2 since January 2018
    Baby #1 DD  Born 8/25/2016
    BFP: 8/11/18 Due: 4/26/18

• Options
    I don’t regularly listen to Pandora/Spotify/playlists etc. 

In the car it’s radio. I have a hits pop station, hip hop/r&b tbrowback, 90 & current pop, hard rock, classic rock and an alt station programmed in. I also occasionally hit the 80s station. I feel like we have pretty great radio where I’m at. 

DH likes rock and metal. DD usually just likes a good beat to dance to. One time when she was a couple months old we put on Metallica: Through the Never and it put her right to sleep, lol. 

I have pretty eclectic tastes. My all time favorite band is punk band Rise Against. But I also listen to everything from Metallica to Fleetwood Mac to One Direction to Rihanna to Snoop Dog to Elvis. I generally don’t really like much Country music, but there are a few I do (my actual name is from an old country song). 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • Options
    My favorite Pandora stations are K Flay or Vampire Weekend if I'm by myself, or The Beatles if DS is awake.  I tend to like things like Skrillex or heavy rock if I'm working out. 

DH's eclectic tastes have definitely influenced our son more than I have.  DS likes to sing "Shark Fighter," and other random Aquabats/ska/punk music that DH blares sometimes, haha (Ghostbusters was a hit for awhile, as well as Moana songs).  But then DH will also listen to folk music/older style country at home chilling (think Johnny Cash), and horrible 80's/90's rap if he's working out.  We have odd tastes. :lol:
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I love people’s eclectic tastes!

My mom raised me on classic rock, and I still listen to a bunch, but I also enjoy:

Glass Animals
    St Vincent
    Vampire Weekend
    Outkast
    Beck (though I don’t like his new stuff :( )
    Miike Snow 
    Deer Tick
    Kendrick Lamar
    Radiohead

There’s a really good college radio station where I live, and it’s the only reason this list isn’t totally stuck in like... 2007.
  • Options
    Those of you who have Spotify, I really like these public playlists:
    Summer Hits of the 90's and Early 2000s
    Soft Pop Hits
    Now thats what i call music 1-68
    Have a Great Day!

I also like the Discover Weekly and #ThrowbackThursday that Spotify updates weekly. 

• Options
    @gollygeeitsamy Have a Great Day! is awesome.
  • Options
    @MRDCle I love Ratatat! It was one of the best concerts I've ever been to. @batmama31 Burl Ives is great! Here are my go-to Pandora Stations:
    Santigold
    Vampire Weekend
    The Dave Matthews Band (Yes, I'm still stuck in the late 90s)
    Ratatat
    Miike Snow
    Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
    The Temper Trap
    Pink Floyd
    90s R&B and Rap (love me some Dr Dre and Snoop)

I also really like 90s alternative music, but our radio stations suck here and only play top 40 music - no offense to those that like it, I'm just not a fan - and we literally have about 15 stations that play only top 40.
  • Options
    I was raised on classic rock but I tend to prefer country or any 90s music (mostly hip hop or pop, which is a fun contrast to now). I've noticed that although I primarily listen to county, I'll go back to 90's and early 2000's music and sing the shit out of it. 

I'm sorry Ms. Jackson.
  • Options
    @mrstmoose "I am for real...."  LOVE me some Outkast!
  • Options
    @kangstadt, my husband always plays music from youtube vía his phone during my son’s bath time and he regularly plays ska albums for him. i walked in on my son dancing to the metalliska album. my husband was like, “i knew your son would like this shitty music.” 😂 apparently my son has the rhythm of steve martin in the jerk. my husband is on a mission to help him find the beat. 
  • Options
    I love ska, especially five iron frenzy. 
    I listen to a lot of showtunes, Hamilton, Disney, whatever Pandora plays for me. 
    Just coming down from my 3m of Christmas music and feeling the hole. 

My my current favorite is a band called the Gray Havens. We discovered them while healing from baby #1 3 yrs ago and there are 3 albums now and I love all of them. 
  • Options
    @batmama31, haha, I love it!  I think our son is destined to either love a very wide range of music or rebel and be a country fan or some such.  He has an Okie Dokie Brothers CD that a friend gave us and he loves it as well as the random ska songs DH plays (as is evidenced by the many scratches on it so it won't play right anymore :lol:).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @rennie1108 I'm so glad there are other 90s/2000s loving women here! 
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    #1 station:  First Aid Kit
    #2 station:  Lord Huron
    #3 station:  Beirut  (@honey_suckle! we are the same person.)  

I also love Fleet Foxes, Of Monsters & Men, Vance Joy, The Head & the Heart, The Lumineers, the old Mumford & Sons, and everything else you'd expect from the list above and/or someone stuck in 2015.

Dallas has this AMAZING radio station called 91.7 that introduced me to most of these bands, & is the only one I listen to other than classical!  Pop has done nothing for me since Taylor Swift put out 1989. :P

• Options
    @kbirchtree oh man I haven't listened to Five Iron Frenzy in years till this thread, taking me back!
  • Options
    I mostly listen to my Daily Mixes on Spotify - which cover anything from 2000's alternative/punk pop, current pop, classic rock, etc. I really like a wide variety of stuff. My favorite artist is Andrew McMahon (now Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness, previously Jack's Mannequin and Something Corporate. 

DH and I have been really into making Spotify playlists that cover music we think LO needs to hear and a few nights a week we lay down early to play music before we fall asleep. Currently our son seems to get excited in response to Foo Fighters, The Killers, and The Beatles, which just backs up my belief that he is definitely his father's son (while I love those bands, DH loves them more). Although DH says he thinks that LO hates his music which is why he kicks/moves so who knows (he pretty much just chills while my favorites are playing). 
  • Options
    @TheSouffleGirl haha yey! I've seen a bunch of your list live in concerts, we should share some good Spotify lists. Also sidenote: one of my best friend's brother in law plays in Vance joy.