August 2019 Moms

Homebirth / birth center / unmedicated birth - m/o January

This is a thread to connect Moms who have already chosen to plan a homebirth/birth center birth. (Feel free to jump in if you're doing an unmedicated hospital birth as well.) We'll need some good support when it comes time!

Note: Please don't come in this thread and bash people who are choosing out of hospital/unmedicated births to judge us or scare us with your horror story. To the ladies in here, this is also not the place to judge those Mamas who don't choose the route we are choosing. 

How far along are you?

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)?

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before?

GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing?

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

Re: Homebirth / birth center / unmedicated birth - m/o January

• Loading the player...
  • My goal is to have an unmedicated birth this time as well.  In my first pregnancy I had premature rupture of membranes at 37 weeks.  This happened after I worked a 12 hour shift at the hospital.  I labored naturally with pitocin for 21 hours before reaching near exhaustion.  At that point I was only 4cm dialated.  I got the epidural and was complete 45 minutes later.  I am hopeful things will progress a little quicker this time around and I can go with the evil pitocin.  I will deliver in hospital.  
  • I'm a STM, almost 11 weeks. I want to have an unmedicated hospital birth. I had my DD unmedicated one week past the due date. I had been having irregular contractions for about 5 days before (every 20 or 30 minutes for a couple hours, then nothing for hours), then the day of, I was having contractions 10 minutes apart for about 3 hours, 5 minutes apart for about 30 minutes, then suddenly 2 or 3 minutes apart. I got to the hospital fully dilated. I asked for an epidural, but the urge to push was very strong, so they told me to push and 8 or 9 pushes, DD was here!
    The way I see it, if I did it once, I can hopefully do it again!
  • How far along are you? 9w1d

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? Unmedicated at hospital, with midwife/doula

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? I have attempted. I will spare you all the details, but it ended in emergency C/S after 3 days of induction and 2.5 hours of pushing. 

GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing? I like the idea of avoiding the drugs and interventions. No bad feelings for those who want that, I personally was more wigged by the idea of the epidural than going without. Having now experienced both sides of that, I stand by that and will happily go epidural free again. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • How far along are you? 10 weeks tomorrow

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? I am planning on a home birth. 

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? This is my 3rd baby. This will be my 3rd unmedicated birth. The first two have been in the hospital. My first was with an OB. My second was a water birth with a midwife. This will be my first home birth. 

GTKY: What made you choose an unmedicated birth and how are you preparing? My first 2 were unmedicated, so I won't really be doing anything different. It always just seemed like the obvious choice. I just told myself meds weren't an option. I didn't like the higher risk of complication that come with meds. 

Me: 28 year old SAHM/Birth Doula
    DH: 30 year old pneumatic electrical engineer 
    Married: October 8, 2011
    DD1: September 24, 2013
    BFP: June 25, 2016 and MC: July 3, 2016
    DD2: April 16, 2017
    BFP: November 30, 2018 EDD: August 14, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @jmesue1030 We can be in water at the hospital? What are your thoughts about the Bradley method over other methods you considered?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• @suzycupcake I don’t think all hospitals offer it but mine does. Many hospitals will let you labor in the tub but not deliver in it. I see a midwife group and they had just started delivering in tubs a month or so before I was due. Even if you can’t deliver, I’d highly recommend using the tub during labor... it made the pain sooo much more tolerable for me!

we chose Bradley because I liked the emphasis on the involvement of the husband. He knew nothing about childbirth before the classes and would have felt totally overwhelmed and helpless had we not taken the class. I know he felt really empowered and like he knew what to expect after doing Bradley classes. I also liked that it connected us to a community of other first time parents, many of whom I still keep in touch with. We took a class locally that I believe was 8 weeks long and 2.5 hours/class so we felt very prepared after all of that lol!
  • @suzycupcake I was told by my hospital that we couldn't deliver in the tub because it didn't have 3 sides of access--like it was kind of in a corner and against a wall. They said another hospital in town does have tubs with 3 sides of access so they do water births there. I'm not sure if that's the general rule or just around here. 
  • We all know what kind of births we are going to plan, but can we talk about the stuff like who is scared of giving birth? Ooh, me me! Half the time, I honestly think I'm Fing nuts for wanting to do this. How do you calm those feelings in yourselves? What do you do to feel empowered?

Also, let's talk about birth plan stuff. Is there anything on the birth plan you plan to be crunchy about? Is it important to you that your Doula/MW shares some of the same birth plan or unmedicated birth beliefs? What do your families/partners think about your plans?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• @suzycupcake, so terrified. I didn’t want kids for a long time because of this fear. I have not yet figured out how to overcome other than ignore the thought. Lol. 

• @suzycupcake I'm not scared of the giving birth part; I'm most afraid that something will happen to force me into medical intervention(s).

As far as "crunchy" goes, I'm planning on everything but the lotus birth: delayed clamping, immediate skin-to-skin, a golden hour, the works. If I had the resources to get my placenta turned into pills, I would.
  • @AKuzReve It's nice to not be the only scared one lol So far, I've been ignoring the thought too. Well, I've been trying to be like Nooooo, I am woman and I can do this! That helps a little bit along with trying to visualize what it might feel like or be like. 

@deecherise Yea that too. Okay I needed to look up delayed clamping and golden hour. :o I wonder if we can choose three hours instead of one. I remember reading about cord clamping a long while ago and thinking that would be a part of my birth plan someday. Yes to immediate skin to skin. Are you using a checklist? Not sure I will do the eye ointment or bath.

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Also, sorry, @suzycupcake, a lot of the “crunchy” stuff is standard procedure here, which is nice. They don’t cut the cord until there is no heartbeat within it. Immediate skin to skin. As little medical intervention as possible. It’s so great to not have to do much to guarantee these things, which is a perk to this country. 

• @deecherise I had my placenta encapsulated and I swear by it!! All we had to do was bring a small cooler to the hospital, the nurse wrapped it up and put it in the cooler, my husband walked the cooler down to the parking garage where the placenta lady picked it up. She brought it back in a pill container before we were discharged from the hospital. Whole thing cost $150. It was my first post natal experience so I can’t personally compare doing it to not, but my energy was great, milk production was through the roof, no PPD, and generally just felt really good. Who knows, maybe I would have felt that way anyway. Not sure how much it runs where you are but it was totally worth it for me. 
  • I’m lurking because I don’t actually go here, but I believe if you do delayed clamping you can’t save it to bank or encapsulate because once it stops pulsating the goodness in it sort of dies. I could be wrong, but I swear with my first I had to choose. Just make sure you look in to it and, if you need to choose, you decide which benefits seem more appealing to you.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I'm not sure if I go here yet, but I wanted to add that something that really helped me last time was using an app for mantras. I used the Gentle Birth App, and when I was in labor I definitely went back to those mantras. They also helped ease my anxiety about birth. From about 6/7 months on I would listen to them every morning as I got ready for work, and eventually repeating those positive, empowering phases started to sink in and I felt more confident about labor and birthing. 

Sort of tagging on to @WinchesterGirl's great points, not only will you be excited to see your baby, you will probably be really sick of being pregnant. I found the more sick I was of being pregnant, the less fearful I was of the birthing process.   ;)
  • @suzycupcake I'm undecided on the ointment and the bath too; I need to do more research.

Right now my birth plan is all in my head, but I'm planning on making a pictorial representation similar to what one of the STM+ posted in a questions thread...I really liked it.
  • @AKuzReve same! Basically I don't need a birth plan bc all my values/priorities are the default at the hospitals anyways. Last pregnancy even with a scheduled c section I got delayed cord clamping,  skin to skin immediately.  I held my son while they stitched me up,  he was only ever away from me for 3 minutes while dh put on his first diaper and I was still numb and otherwise he was with me the whole time. 

(Also,  in regards to the csection, he was breech,  would not turn or be turned, and investigation showed his size and position not compatible with my pelvis size and bone structure to attempt a vaginal birth,  but I was thankful for the investigation and it wasn't just assumed surgery for breech which is the case in a lot of places)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• @suzycupcake I don't know if this will help or not, but here's my 2 cents on the fear things. This is more a stream of consciousness, so sorry if it jumps around a little. I'm scared and this is the third time I will be doing this.

My grandmother had a friend who used to say that there are certain things that G-d gives you time between when you have to do them so that you don't remember how bad they are, and are willing to do them again. The top two on her list were painting the house, and having a child.

If you asked me for my birth stories, I can tell you the events, and have most of the details. But the feelings from that time? They are just a blur. The first feeling that I really remember after labor started is when they put that little bundle into my arms, and I looked at my husband, and said "we have a baby" that joy is making me tear up now almost 3 years and over a year later. (For both boys it was exactly the same, and completely different)

I remember it being the absolute worst pain I've ever had, and I remember thinking there is absolutely no way I will ever be able to get through this, let alone do it again. But no matter how hard I try I cannot remember what that pain actually felt like. Personally, I take comfort from that, despite my beliefs to the contrary at the time I did get through it, twice. So I know I will be able to get through it again, and afterwards I won't have to live with real memories of that pain.

I will tell you the number one thing that got me through it was my cheering squad. My husband is the strong silent type, so he mostly lent support just with his presence. But for both births I had a doula, and I do not think I would have had as wonderful an experience as I did without her. She cheered me on through the whole things, and was convinced I could do it no matter what I said.
  • I am so jealous of you ladies in Europe. My biggest fears are based on forced interventions/ medical staff not caring or listening to me, which is compounded by my racial identity (not opinion, that is a fact). I've read too many epidemiological studies, articles, and exposés regarding maternal mortality in Black American women. It's frightening.
  • @deecherise looking to see if a hospital by you is an officially “baby friendly hospital”

https://www.unicef.org/programme/breastfeeding/baby.htm

They are centered around helping with the mother/child bond - only as much intervention as absolutely necessary. Fine with delayed clamping, doesn’t do episiotomies, skin to skin for at least an hour after birth, and doesn’t do first bath for 24 hours. Plus they also over lots of lactation and breastfeeding support. It doesn’t completely stop the abundant racism within our medical system, but they at least have “race neutral” policies.

Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @EmilyA724 I didn't know about that designation!  Thank you! Unfortunately, the only one in network for my student insurance is the University-led Women's and Children's hospital. I trust my OB, I just have read horror stories about attending OBs and ill-equipped nursing staff.

This set was particularly horrifying (HUGE TW): 

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/evqew7/obstetric-violence-doulas-abuse-giving-birth
  • @suzycupcake I was also terrified of birth my first go around. I mean you spend all of this time and energy growing this watermelon size human and then realize one way or another it has to come out and there is no pretty way that’s going to happen. However, at the end of pregnancy (about the last month or so) I just was so uncomfortable 24/7, I couldn’t sleep well, my ankles were the same size as my calves, I learned more than I ever cared to know about heartburn, developed carpel tunnel, etc etc. Eventually all of that discomfort far outweighed any fear I had of child birth and after passing week 38 I literally could not wait to go into labor now that I was considered full term. With my son it wasn’t nearly as bad but regardless by the end you are just mentally ready and most of that fear just goes away, it’s kind of hard to describe. Plus you are so ready to meet this little baby you’ve been dreaming about that excitement kicks in as well. I fully anticipate by the end your fear will have subsided (at least for the most part) and you will be ready to be done being pregnant and hold that sweet little man!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • You mamas make good points about the discomforts at the end of pregnancy. I did not have that particular experience of being "over it" so always forget that! 

I will say... while you are pregnant is probably not the best time to read all the articles about how it can/does/has gone horribly wrong. A lot of labor is mental. You don't want to fill up your head space with all the worst case scenarios. 

By all means research things; but once you've read enough to make an informed choice, move on & don't keep reading horror stories. They'll just stress you out.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @deecherise I've been doing some studying on that subject lately for a certain reason; particularly Shalon Irving's and Serena William's stories. It's very real and your fears are valid. Will there be someone there with you who will advocate for you and is there anyone who can stay with you several days postpartum?

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake my mother and one of my best friends (who is a mother of 3 herself) are planning to be in the delivery room/advocate for me. My mom plans to also stay for a few days after the baby is born.

I just worry that it won't matter--we both know that Serena was not alone when she delivered. But like @WinchesterGirl said, there's not much purpose in me scaring myself silly. My game plan is to talk to my OB about some of the concerns I have--maybe there's something she can do/say to reassure me.
  • @deecherise That's awesome that you have your Momma. Hugs <3

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• How far along are you? 9w 4d

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)? Hospital, non-medicated

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? TTM. I’ve had 1 completely unmedicated and one where the epi didn’t work....so close enough! 

My first was an unplanned “unmedicated” (as in no epi) birth. I was induced, on pit, and had 2epi fails. In the end, I was glad, but it was rough on the pit. Definitely not for everyone. When it came time for baby #2, I figured that I had done it on pit before after a long labor, so why not try completely med free this go-around. It was a dream birth and I had a great nurse/doc to help and guide me. Plus, DH has always been my rock and the best coach a gal could ask for. I’ll aim for unmedicated with #3 as well, barring any complications of course.

I like to listen to my body and it’s birthing cues. You’re body knows what it needs to do, when it needs to do it. It tells you loud and clear! Plus, I don’t like to not have control over my body. It’s also pretty nice to hop off of the bed and shower yourself afterward. 

With all that said, birth your babies how you’d like and in whatever way you need to for a positive and safe outcome. There should be no shame when it comes to childbirth. You just created a person and brought them into the world. Be proud of that.

• How far along are you? 12wk0d

What type of birth are you planning (home, birth center, unmedicated at hospital)?
    Unmedicated at hospital 

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before?
    TTM - our 2nd daughter was born at home & unmedicated...but it wasn’t planned. 

Being that our home birth was unplanned it was kinda like organized chaos. In the moment it was scary, but at the same time fulfilling. It felt better, more natural...even with the 911 operator walking my DH through on what do. I gave birth standing up, it felt great and more like that’s what my body wanted. After she was out, I was completely fine. Even stood there and talked to the paramedics, before they told me to lay on the stretcher. I still had to go to the hospital, as the placenta had not been delivered. 

If it was up to me and financially reasonable for us to do at this time, I would go for a full on home birth. Our first DD was born at the hospital and I had an epidural. The crash down from it was horrible. I had the shakes for hours, it was so bad I couldn’t even hold her. Recovery also took longer. 

So far I haven’t done anything to prepare. I really don’t want to put a lot of focus on it now. I believe then you start to 2nd guess your choices. I also don’t plan to share it with people outside our home. The less opinions the better. 
    Me: 36  DH: 37
    DD1: 9  DD2: 6
    Due date Aug 3, 2019
  • @WinchesterGirl Every time fear creeps in now, I picture myself swaying with my husband in the dark with candles and breathing. Thank you for sharing that with us <3 

We had our first doula interview today at our home because I want to see them in my house. She has never given birth but she is extremely knowledgeable about it as well as she is DONA trained and certified, a UCLA certified lactation educator, and trained in all kinds of other things like Ma Yoga, Spinning Babies, and Hypnobabies. She also knows hospital policies and can advocate very effectively when it comes to needing to push back. She was very calm and present, which is necessary for us. My husband and I both like her, but we have two more interviews to do yet. One tomorrow and one at the beginning of February.  

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Hey ladies, I've been a bit of a lurker due to my own anxiety around this pregnancy. Sorry to just jump in but I've got to start somewhere. Hoping to participate regularly now and get to know you all :) 

How far along are you? 12 weeks exactly

Unmedicated hospital VBAC. I'll discuss the possibility of a home  birth with my midwife, but I know my husband doesn't want that and because if my previous csection I doubt I'll be allowed. Doesn't hurt to at least find out though. 

FTM? STM?/ Have you had an unmedicated birth before? STM. I had an epidural with my son, and had a csection so no to an unmedicated birth. I'm leaving my plan open to pain meds but really hoping to avoid in order to avoid interventions that may lead to another csection. 

I don't want another csection, and I want to minimize the chance of tearing as that's my biggest fear of birth. I want to feel in control of my body as in be able to change positions, move around, etc. I am preparing by listening to a hypnobirthing app and doing lots of research on birth. I'm also allowing myself to recognize my fears and think about them in order to work through them. 
    @suzycupcake avoiding interventions is a big reason why I want to go unmedicated. I really disliked all the interventions, poking and prodding last time and I really want this birth to be on my terms. 

@missbmama thanks for sharing your experiences, that was really cool to be able to read. 

@deecherise I'm glad you will have those people at your birth to help advocate for you. It's horrific that in this day and age you actually have to worry about forced interventions and not being taken seriously because of race. It makes me sick to my stomach. 

• @deecherise, I hope with my whole heart that your birth goes exactly how you want it. That this is a concern in 2019 is absolutely ridiculous. 

• I'm having trouble deciding on a doula. Is anyone else trying to hire a doula right now? The first doula is very very experienced, but she has never given birth. Should that matter? Ugh. A little stressed out here. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• Ive never had a doula so take this with a grain of salt... however, I would think someone who is experinced but can also personally remove herself some and not insert her own experiences into her work may be beneficial. Does she have good references? I think that is most important, not necessarily giving birth herself.
    BabyFruit Ticker}