July 2019 Moms

Game of Thrones Thread

Let's talk GoT theories, characters, and the final season that premieres on 4/14! All GoT fans welcome, whether you've read the books or not or all caught up or still catching up. If you're not caught up but want to participate, let us know so we can add spoiler boxes. 

A little GoT GTKY:

Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: 
Have you read the books?: 
Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): 
Favorite character (dead or alive): 
Any ships?: 
Any theories?: 

Re: Game of Thrones Thread

• Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: Caught up
    Have you read the books?:  Nope, well I attempted to read the first one three times, and managed to get several hundred pages in one of the times, but I just couldn't.  I get bored reading things when I already know what happens.  I know the show doesn't continue to follow the books, but I just don't have the time for all of that, ha.  My H has read them all though.  
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): Stark, I suppose
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Tyrion
    Any ships?: Tormund & Brienne  :D
    Any theories?  For some reason I like to avoid theories!
  • Loading the player...
  • Happyin14Happyin14 member
    edited January 2019
    Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?:  caught up! 
    Have you read the books?: No. MH has which is super valuable. He explains everything to me. 
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): Uhhh... Stark? I dunno. 
    Favorite character (dead or alive):  Jon Snow
    Any ships?: Does this mean couple? What does this mean? 
    Any theories?: Not really. DD prior story. 
  • @Happyin14 Ships are relationships that are either canon or you wish were canon. (In the Harry Potter fandom, fans that wished Harry and Hermione ended up together said that JK Rowling "sunk their ship.")
    So any couple counts if you like them together or want them to be together. Like Tormund and Brienne :) 

• It's been so long since I watched this, I can't even remember the character names lol. I'm going to need to rewatch so I can understand what's happening when it comes back.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @babyginjuly, keep checking HBO. They do seem to run marathons often and I check-in here and there. It helps! 
  • @Happyin14 I don't even have cable .. haha I have a firestick and I'm gonna see if my friend can give me her log in for HBO to catch up!
  • Ooo I like this thread!

Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: caught up
    Have you read the books?: Only the first 2. I think I started 3 but never finished.
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): Probably Stark. 
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Too many. Jon Snow, Daenerys, Sansa, Arya, Lady Olenna, Jaime, Brienne, Sam......
    Any ships?: Jon and Ygritte 😭
    Any theories?: nah
  • Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?:  caught up, going to watch all seasons again
    Have you read the books?: no
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): Stark
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Jon Snow and Ghost
    Any ships?: no
    Any theories?: no

im not going to watch the trailer they released, I just want to watch and be surprised
  • @jennm0724, the trailer literally shows nothing. Nada. 
  • Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: 
    Yes!

Have you read the books?: 
    Nope

Hmmm... probably Stark

Favorite character (dead or alive):
    Jon Snow

Any ships?: 
    Any theories?: 
    Not at the moment! I feel like I need to rewatch because it seems like it’s been FOREVER since the last season. 
  • Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: 
    Caught up

Have you read the books?: no, they've been on my Audible wish list for 3 years...

Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): hmm... can't think of the house name, but the one run by the 10yr old girl.

Favorite character (dead or alive): Arya

Any ships?: Brienne and Jamie! I feel like if he could get away from his sister he would not be a horrible person...

Any theories? No, just excitement. 

• Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?:Caught up! Although I would love to re-watch it all before the new season starts!

Have you read the books?: I have not read the books... 

Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): I love that the Starks are a loyal group of people. 

Favorite character (dead or alive): Arya is such a badass. Bran is such an inteeesting character as well, I hope he can help figure out what’s going on! 

Any ships?: 

Any theories?:  The good guys have to win, right? Oh wait, it is George RR Martin we are talking about. 

• @Happyin14 ok good to know!! Thanks!! 
  • Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: Caught up! 
    Have you read the books?: No. Hubby has though..
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): Lannister
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Cersei Lannister - she is endlessly entertaining. I LOVE it when she is on screen. It drives my family nuts as she is obviously not supposed to be a likable character. I also enjoyed Tywin's character quite a lot. 
    Any ships?: I don't really know what that means? fave couple? Can I say John and Daenerys or is that weird?
    Any theories?: No. I am thoroughly stumped as to what the ending will be. 
  • @realhousewife519 I love Cersei as a character. She takes the "evil queen" trope and shows the audience what's really behind it. I feel sorry for her sometimes. And I'm pretty sure she's not actually pregnant--I have a feeling her fate will be like Mary I of England (Bloody Mary) who thought she was pregnant but ended up having a giant cancer tumor. 
    And I don't think it's weird to ship Jon and Daenerys. They really are great together and so many royal relationships in the middle ages were between relatives, anyway. I just feel bad that Daenerys has no idea she carried on the "family tradition" that destroyed the Targaryens :/ 
  • @hestia14 nice prediction re. Cersei’s baby! DH and I don’t think she will be having a child either, based on the prophecy she received and all. But you never know! Maybe Daenerys will end up pregnant! 
  • mizzmegmizzmeg member
    edited January 2019
    Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: I have watched them all however, I’m rewatching them all before April! It’s amazing all the small details I missed when I watched it the first time. 
    Have you read the books?: not yet! I need to though! 
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): House Tyrell
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Arya. She’s such a strong character that doesn’t conform to standards! 
    Any ships?: No. I’m scared of ships in this series! People die too quickly. 
    Any theories?: Cersei dies. Maybe not a theory, but definitely a wish! 
  • So kind of random, but topic appropriate. Cersei Lannister really reminds me of Catherine de Medici. The Lannister family is really a take on the Medicis. Double majored in History and Special Education and taught history for a while... and now I am obsessed and will have to figure out the rest of the families/houses and historical connections. 

Of course the whole series (books/TV) seems to be a take on the British War of the Rose and subsequent succession issues, but I have to revist my medieval European history now and figure some stuff out. 

If you enjoy history and podcasts I highly recommend the podcast Stuff I Missed in History Class!
  • edited January 2019
    @indulgentgypsy What other parallels do you see between the Lannisters and the Medicis? I only took a British History survey course, so that's how I got the idea of Cersei being similar to Bloody Mary. 

I wonder what would have happened if Bloody Mary had access to explosives? :dizzy:
  • edited January 2019
    So the Medicis did not start out as nobility, but as political influencers, money lenders, behind the scenes sneaky assassins and often the power behind the throne or the papacy. It wasn't until Catherine de Medici married Henri II that they became "Royal" Catherine watched her husband die due to a lance to the eye, watched her 3 sons become king and die... married her daughter to a rival house, hosted the original Red Wedding where thousands of French Hugeonots (French Protestants) were killed... to me there are a lot of similarities. 
  • Scottish Highland clans, could be Wildlings...
  • Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: Yes, but rewatching before the premier. We're about to finish Season 2 AKA waiting for Joffrey to die
    Have you read the books?: No, they're on my list!
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Tyrion, Bronn or Sansa
    Any ships?: Brienne & Tormund
    Any theories?: SO MANY! I think that since Jon and Dany got together and are related that she can somehow give birth to her own blood's baby or something dragon weird. I also think that Cersei is going to really try to kill Jaime, that he will end up killing her and then will be heartbroken and kill himself. Mine are very specific  :D
  • I need to rewatch the last season before this season starts!!! 
  • @indulgentgypsy that’s really interesting about Catherine de Medici. I was not aware of any of that. Sounds like she might have been the inspiration behind the Cersei character. Something for me to read up on while anxiously awaiting the premiere! 
  • acgxacgx member
    SO excited!  <3

• I'm intrigued by this theory about who/what Arya is running from at the beginning...
    Undead/headless Ned and Catelyn in the Winterfell crypts. We haven't seen a headless wight yet, but we don't have proof it can't happen. And if the Night King reincarnates all the bodies in the Winterfell crypts, Gilly, baby Sam, Varys, and everyone else hiding out there is screwed...

• Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: Yes! We just finished our rewatch and are itching for April 14th!
    Have you read the books?: Yes, but I got stuck on four and never finished
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): Starks
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Oh god no I can't choose - knife to my throat Jon, now my watch has ended
    Any ships?: Brienne & Tormund 100%
    Any theories?: I've got a few, random one is I think Jamie will die saving Tyrion from Cersei
  • I will be on my babymoon in Europe when the season starts, you best believe I will be up watching in the middle of the night!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • acgxacgx member
    OMG @hestia14 that is a terrifying theory. My brother was just saying how Arya actually looks *really* scared and it'd have to be something bad to scare her that much 🙈🙊
  • Loved the trailer! Looks like we’re going to be in for an impressive last season! we watched it like 5 times and paused it frequently to check out whose in the background of each frame. 
  • 9 more days ladies! My husband is binge watching all the seasons again, so usually after each episode he has to give me a recap LOL! We were so late to the GOT hype that we were able to watch everything on demand, I think having to wait between each episode is going to kill me!! AHH! 
  • msimimsimi member
    I'm so excited! I missed the thread the first time around so here it goes:
    Caught up? If not, what episode are you on?: Yes but we're rewatching it all right now since it's been awhile since we watched it the first time. We're halfway through the second season so we probably won't be caught up by the premiere unless we do some CRAZY binge watching.
    Have you read the books?: No
    Favorite house or non-Seven Kingdoms group (e.g. wildlings, Dothraki, etc): House Tyrell
    Favorite character (dead or alive): Tyrion
    Any ships?: Not really. I have an anti-ship with Jon and Daenerys
    Any theories?: I have a bunch of half-baked theories but I love reading all of the ones you guys came up with!
  • I’m also rewatching and it’s so good to remember certain things. 

I know Catelyn is brought back in the books and I sort of wonder if we will see her in this season.... 
  • @Happyin14 I want to catch up soooo bad, but DH doesnt want to. I mean, even re-watching last season I think would help. 
  • We're almost done rewatching the seasons. on season 6. During our mini marathon last night I cried twice because A) Jon and Sansa reunited at Castle Black and I was crying telling my husband how their reunion beautiful it was then B) Hodor, I sobbed. Can't even imagine how my hormones will be for the final season  :D:D
  • @samanthak46 I had to have my husband FFW through when Ned killed Sansas dire wolf! I knew it was coming, and was already crying, I said I couldn't handle watching it again pregnant. This season is going to kill me and my hormones LOL! 
  • @jennm0724 I cried during that part too!