August 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Travel Edition

olivemommaolivemomma member
edited January 2019 in August 2019 Moms
The NYT recently came out with their 52 places to visit in 2019. While I’m sure most of us won’t be doing that kind of traveling this year I thought a fun travel related GTKY was in order. So...

1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why?
2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list?

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: GTKY: Travel Edition

• Options
    1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why?
    I have two answers for this:
    First is India, it was my country focus of study for grad school and it was such an amazing experience to see what I had been learning in person. Also, it kick-started my passion for working in the non-profit sector and lead to me becoming more socially conscious.
    Second is Brazil. It was the only place I have ever been that I couldn't get by with English. I think it's really important to learn how to navigate your surroundings when no one speaks the same language as you.

The top place is New Zealand, but really I want to do an "around the world" that goes California, Hawaii, New Zealand, Fiji, Japan, India, Germany, Czech, Amsterdam, Italy

Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? Norway.  It's beautiful and quaint yet majestic every direction you look.  Mountains,  farmland  and ocean inlets all in one view.  Tunnels, switchbacks, and waterfalls everywhere.  It's stunning.

2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list? Australia to dive the great barrier reef. But for non-water stuff, probably New Zealand. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I LOVE to travel! We took our honeymoon in Australia and New Zealand, and it was incredible! Highly recommended! I also love Scotland!

I'd love to go to Greece. And Egypt some day, if it's ever safe. And I wouldn't hesitate to go back to Australia and New Zealand! Seriously. If you have never been...you should go!
  • Options
    @olivemomma Love this question  becauae I love traveling too! (I think you asked me on another thread about PC... didn’t realize posts provided location, now you know I was mobile bumping on vacation!)

Greatest: Greece. It’s as gorgeous as it looks in pictures, and the French fries were the best I’ve ever had. 

Bucket list: Austria and Germany for Christmas markets in 2020 for our 5 year anniversary. Already lined my mom up to babysit. Ireland and Scotland; Argentina for all the wine; Australia/New Zealand tentatively for our 10th anniversary 
  • Options
    @chillycanadian my husband and I lived in Egypt for 2 years from 2013-2015. We caught the tail end of the coup that summer but missed the main stuff from 2011-2013. I always said I felt safer living there than I would visiting as a tourist. We want to go back to visit....would love to take our kids there and show them where we lived :) fond memories built there! I hope you get there some day! 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    I love this question, we love to travel. We've also been talking about exploring our own country a bit more too. 

1. I have to go with Australia/New Zealand. We did them both in one trip and it was amazing! (like others have said if seriously go!) If you're going to force me to pick one, I'll go with New Zealand. I would love to go back and spend more time there. It was so incredibly beautiful. 

2. My list is so long at the top at this point is Germany. But also Greece, Switzerland, Croatia, I'd like to see Banff, go to Argentina, I want to do one of those Galapagos trips too. my list goes on and on.

@cato99 we spent some time on the Amalfi Coast last year and you're right it is perfect. it was so pleasant and  relaxing. I'm in for a Bali trip! it has been on my (long) list for a while. 
    @heml a friend went to Greece last year and said the food there ruined food for her. (it was all so good and nothing compares!)

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    @heml don’t worry it doesn’t share your location! At least I hope not! You had specifically mentioned you were walking around Park City :)
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @olivemomma Clearly pregnancy brain is a real thing because I don’t even remember that. HA! My other pregnancy brain thing I discovered when I returned was instead of putting leftovers that I placed in Tupperware in the fridge, I put them in the Tupperware cabinet in the kitchen. 

@Avrilmai The food in Germany was also to die for, so good choice for the top of your list! We’ve been to Berlin and the Black Forest and loves both, but since we went in April, we didn’t get to do Christmas markets so must go back
  • Options
    I've actually technically never been out of the US (Puerto Rico doesn't count, but it's fantastic!), but I aspire to go to:

Japan
    South America (all over!)
    West Africa (Nigeria, Ivory Coast, & Ghana)
    East Africa (Kenya, Tanzania, Madagascar)
    The Netherlands
    Southeast Asia (Bali, Papua New Guinea, Thailand)
    New Zealand & Australia
  • Options
    1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? Edinburgh, Scotland. We spent our honeymoon there (only went north one day) and people are probably sick of hearing about it 3 years later. I'd love to go back to see more of Scotland. 
    2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list? So many, now that they're semi-achievable by living in Europe! We're headed to London in a few weeks and Mallorca, Spain in May! Others on the list: Prague, Dublin, Greece, the Netherlands, Rome. 

@heml - I'll still be in Germany in 2020! ;)
    @olivemomma - I've heard so much about Croatia, maybe I should add that. A friend & her family rented a yacht there last summer for a few days - THE LIFE!!! 
    @cato99 - I only took 4 years of high school Latin but the interest stuck with me - the coolest place we've been in Germany so far (only 8 months) has been Trier for me! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? Italy! We visited Tuscany and Rome and loved both for different reasons. There’s so much that we didn’t get to see so I would love to go back! I love Italian food and wine, both the city and countryside are beautiful!

2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list? So far we have traveled most of the east coast in the US plus California, internationally we have been to Mexico, Bahamas, Turks & Caicos, Dominican Republic, Aruba, Italy (Tuscany and Rome), London, and Paris.

On our list: Domestic - Hawaii, Texas, Puerto Rico
    International - Canada, Greece, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, Jamaica, plus probably revisit most of the places we have already been!
  • Options
    @olivemomma Croatia is very much on my list. I came really close to teaching English there, but I'd been teaching English abroad for a couple years and it was not my calling, so I felt like it was time for a change.

@cato99 Your around the world whirlwind sounds awesome!

@EmilyA724 I completely agree with being submerged in a country where no one speaks the same language. I also found that it made me have a lot more patience and compassion for non native English speakers here.

1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? I think the Galapagos. I worked for a small eco-cruise company on their US boats, and a perk of finishing a contract was that you could get a free trip on any cruise they offered (that had open space). I took my mom, who doesn't necessarily have the same wanderlust, so it was really cool to get to take her somewhere she'd probably have never gone otherwise. 

2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list? I'd love to do more traveling in Central and South America. India has always been on my bucket list too. I lived in Poland for a couple years, and I would love to explore eastern Europe and the Baltics more/again with my DH and the kids. I also want to see more in the US--especially national parks!
  • Options
    1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? Ireland! My family heritage is Irish, and I've always wanted to go. It was gorgeous, I loved the weather, just generally it felt like home. The Cliffs of Moher were one of those moments I'll remember my whole life. 

2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list? Australia! My DH wants to be one of the crazies who gets in a cage and sees a shark. No thanks. But Australia does seem a lovely and unique place to visit. I would love to do a tour to see some of the wildlife. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @Amdogger82 Where in Poland did you live? That’s on my bucket list too since my grandfather was the only person to come to the US after WW2 and his entire family all still lives there. I’d love the try and meet them someday.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Oh I love to travel!!  I think my favorite place was Tokyo.  I just loved the culture there!  

I have ave so many places I want to go!  Fiji, Australia, Greece, and South Africa top my list. 
  • Options
    Favorite that I’ve been to: Toss up between Florence, Italy and the Greek islands 

bucket list: Thailand and Australia (technically I’ve been but I was 3 so doesn’t count)
  • Options
    Definitely no major travel this year, we have projects we need to do around the house and this pregnancy I have been advised to take things easy. I think we are planning to do a 7 night cruise next February or March when this baby is around 6 months old. 

My favorites that I have visited are a toss up between Brussels and Munich. The French alps gets points for natural beauty though. 

High on my bucket list are Ireland, Australia and Hawaii. 

Does anyone follow the Bucket List Family on Youtube? I am obsessed with them and love following along with their travels. 
    11/2010 Diagnosed with PCOS 
    10/31/11 M/C at 9 weeks
    1/12/13 DD was born
    4/9/16 DS was born 
    9/17 CP 
    6/23/18 BFP EDD 3/4/19 

• Options
    We love to travel but have stuck to Europe lately. 

1) It may be because it was our most recent trip but a tie between Tuscany (really any small city/town there montelpucciano/cortona) and Sardinia. Everywhere you looked it was picturesque and the food was amazing (made it easy to travel with a 2 year old). Non foreign - the pacific coast highway trip my DH and I did from SF to SD was incredible. 
    2) I’d really love to make it to NZ/Australia and SA. But next trip out of the country will likely be to Germany/Poland.
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 I was in Koszalin. It's in the north between Gdansk and Szczecin not far from the Baltic. 
  • Options
    aukeevaukeev member
    edited January 2019
    1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? It was a hard choice between Switzerland and Ireland for me, but I think I would say Ireland. It wasn't as magnificent or awe-inspiring as Switzerland was, but the people were amazing in Ireland and it just felt like the most perfect place with how friendly everyone was, the tiny little towns, sheep and castles everywhere - just everything. I think my heart will always be in Ireland. (My family is also Irish and Scottish, so it was neat to see towns where my ancestors lived)
    So far we have done Ireland, Scotland, Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland, Iceland and Mexico (and the US, of course!).

2. What places are at the top of your traveling bucket list? We are in the midst of planning our babymoon in Norway, and I am so excited! After Norway I know we won't be traveling as much (after graduating from college, we have tried to do a couple of countries per year), but high on my list would be Peru, Croatia (my sister lives there), South Africa, Thailand, Spain and New Zealand. And always Ireland, any chance I can go back. 
  • Options
    Edition*
  • Options
    @maebyfunke22 haha thanks!

and for all of you New Zealanders if you make it make sure to check out the great walks! We hiked the Kepler Track last year and it was amazing! (Kicked my *ss but amazing!)
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    @deecherise I hope you get to the East Africa on your bucket list, specifically Kenya, and you can HMU for recommendations on all the wonderful places to visit 😄

1. Where is the greatest place you have ever visited and why? Haven't been out of my country much, atleast not for vacation, so I'd have to go with the beautiful white sandy beaches in Diani at the Kenyan coast

1.Santorini, Greece
     2.Maldives
    My unashamed love affair with the beach is pretty obvious but I would also love to take a Europe tour across Portugal, Spain and France
  • Options
    My favorite places I’ve been are 1. Italy - Florence and Rome were both amazing to visit and 2. St. Lucia. We went there for our honeymoon and I could’ve stayed forever! 

I would love to go to Greece and Germany! 
  • Options
    @TinaTho oh the PCH trip has been something that DH and I have talked about for years! that is on my list for sure. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    1. My favorite place I have traveled was Bali, I got to spend two months there becoming a Divemaster and I met my husband there so it will always hold a special place in my heart.

2. So many place I want to go! This summer I think we will rent a house in Croatia before baby comes. I also would love to get back to Indonesia like Raja Ampat or Sulawesi for some more amazing diving. I’d also love to go up north to Iceland or some other Nordic country to see the northern lights. 
  • Options
    1. My favorite place so far has been Germany. Granted, I went when I was 17 and was in a big tour group. We visited 11 countries in 17 days. The entire trip was incredible, but Germany stuck out the most for me. I also loved Hawaii, as far as US travel.
    2. I would love to go to Ireland, Scotland, Australia, NZ, and Chile.