August 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes and Pillows

Hello all! We're not all quite there yet but the second trimester is visible on the horizon, so it's a great time to share some of those 2nd tri essentials: maternity clothes, and maternity pillows to help us sleep as our bodies and bellies grow. 

Brands you love? Shopping hacks? Tips for strategizing different outfit coordinations? Questions about timing your maternity clothes purchases? How about questions or advice to accommodate different body types? Work-wear vs. formal-wear vs. workout clothes? As for pillows, J-shaped vs. U-shaped? Tips on avoiding maternity pillow purchase and instead constructing elaborate forts with regular pillows? Please share!

Prior and Upcoming Product Spotlights

Re: Product Spotlight: Maternity Clothes and Pillows

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Also instead of a maternity swim suit ($$$) I got a bikini with decent coverage but still tied up so it was adjustable to grow with me and shrink with me.  If I was self conscious with who I was with at the time i just put a maternity tank over it.  But really,  having a bump is the only time id ever wear a bikini lol I'm normally a one-piece girl. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    For maternity stuff I would stalk motherhood.com for sales and stock up. I have also had success with StitchFix, they send really cute stuff but it tends to be pricey. Old Navy was good for some of my casual stuff, but since I need to dress business professional most of the time, I didn't find there was a lot that would work for me.

As for body pillow I splurged and got the Leachco Snoogle Total Body Pillow. It is amazing. For my second pregnancy I got the navy cover to replace the white one it came with because that one was looking gross, but otherwise it was still great. The one downside is that it is annoying if you want to turn over in the middle of the night, but since it was painful for me to lie on my right side it wasn't that big a deal. I'm trying to decide if it's too early to pull it out now...
  • Options
    I second @olivemomma on the maxi dress suggestion! I refuse to buy maternity clothes and live in stuff I can wear after the kids are born. Free People has a lot of great dresses. 
    I also wore a lot of leotards, bodysuits, and spandex. Stretchy!

The one exception to maternity clothes I’ve made for the past three kids is a nice pair of leggings I can work out in/run errands in. I really love Blanqui and wore them postpartum for a bit too. 

Also yes @BigBadWolf12 on the bikini! No need to buy an unflattering maternity swimsuit, just wear a bikini. 👙 

No advice on pillows, I have always just used my unnecessarily large collection of pillows on my bed and shove them where I need support. Usually between my legs, next to my belly, 

• Options
    I'm pretty much already in maternity gear around the house. My regular stuff doesn't fit, and I don't want to stretch out all my smaller clothes!

Tanks are the best. Get 7-10 of them, wear them with everything. I'm a jeans girl over dresses personally, and I'm currently rocking some side panel jeans. They work well until you have enough belly to hold up a panel, and frankly I'm in the south and the panel is HOT. So, if anyone has tips on summer wear for pregnancy in 100 degree heat... I'm all ears! My first was a February baby, which was perfect for me. I was hot when it was cool out. So this time will be an adjustment. 

Last time I had a snoogle, and loved that thing. We donated it because our house was too small to store it (regrets), so I'm trying out a cheapo U pillow from amazon this time. I'll update here if it ever arrives. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I completely agree with the full panel pants/shorts over the side panel.  Side panel look like they'd be great, but they are not comfortable and don't stay up.  Full panel is the best. Maxis are great, but depending on where you live (I'm in TX) I found that they were too hot on a lot of summer days so I wore shorts and t-shirts or tank tops a lot.  Old navy, target, gap.  I also bought a few things second hand.  

As far as a pregnancy pillow, I never needed one.  Maybe this time will be different because I know people swear by them.  
  • Options
    @cato99 Those Roolee dresses are adorable! 

Thank you ladies. It's nice to see a range of budgets being represented too. These are all great and so so helpful! Do the Snoogles keep you from rolling on your back? 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    @suzycupcake I used a snoogle for my first pregnancy and I can remember learning at the very end of my pregnancy that I was absolutely using it wrong. I woke up on my back regularly. 

That being said, I loved it because it went between my legs AND under my belly. 

As for maternity clothes, I bought lots of stuff off of zulilly that I liked. Just have to buy it in advance because it can take FOREVER to get to you. 
  • Options
    @suzycupcake since it's a C it goes under your head and between your legs, and then you can choose whether it supports your back or stomach. Typically I needed the back support more so I had it go around back, and I never had an issue with rolling in my sleep. The few nights I felt I needed stomach support I used the throw pillow that came with our sheet set. 
  • Options
    My favorite place to buy maternity clothes is Pink Blush Maternity. Don’t ever pay full price. Get on their mailing list and they will notify you when they have sales and clearances online throughout the week. I bought so many dresses, shirts, leggings, and cardigans from them even when I was postpartum. They always have free shipping. 

I bought a bunch of nursing tank tops from H&M online that I lived in when my son was first born. Not sure if they still have them but they had cute styles and designs.

As far as pillows, my DH got me this huge double pillow which I never cared for but I like hearing all your ideas!

@WinchesterGirl I looked up a Snoogle and that looks amazing! I never heard of that before. I may have to buy one now! 😁
  • Options
    @hey_clever_girl - I LOVE ThredUp and their maternity offerings are always expanding!

I've already spent a shitload on new Maternity gear because I was expecting twins and was already "showing," but have since lost one and gone back to "normal" size ... but at least that means the only things I have to worry about it bras. I was a 34DDD before I was preggo with DD and - even though I went back to pre-preggo weight - am now a 36H. I'm terrified of what is going to happen now, so I'm just keeping watch and going to buy when I need to size up. My *favorite* nursing bras (they work FABULOUSLY as normal bras, too, btw) are on Amazon and they're a smidge pricey, but not too bad, considering they last about 2-3 years each (with every other day wear and weekly wash). It's got just enough padding to keep the crazy preggo nips hidden, but not so much that you're overcome by it ... and it's got great support without being suffocating. (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G8P276/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1&psc=1)

A wonderful bra deal (3 for $28) that I found on Amazon that I still wear (sometimes it is nice to have light support at night) is this set of seamless, wireless nursing bras: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YGSELHK/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Again, I'm somewhere near a 36H and X-Large fit me just fine. They have a lot of give, but are still comfy enough to wear as/with pajamas ... and you won't run the risk of a wayward boob. 
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    I've always used this pillow for my bump: https://www.amazon.com/Boppy-Pregnancy-Slipcover-Scalloped-Trellis/dp/B01N06ZFIX/ref=sr_1_1_a_it?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1547564462&amp;sr=8-1-spons&amp;keywords=pregnancy+wedge+pillow&amp;th=1 and post pregnancy I put it between my knees (side sleeper) for posture support. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 
  • Options
    @Babylovecali I've never ordered from Pink Blush Maternity before. I'm tempted to because they have great dresses and I have two weddings during my pregnancy, but I've heard they're clothes tend to run small. Is this true for you?

Also I agree with @hey_clever_girl: full panel all the way! The halfers or lows always roll down on me. 
  • Options
    Has anyone ordered from Wren and Ivory? Their ads are always on my FB feed and some of their stuff looks cute
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I usually forget about Pink Blush because they tend to be more pricey, but would be cute if you do have special occasions like you do @ElcaB.

Btw - my splurge was on the Motherhood Maternity site. My SIL told me that they had $5 tanks and $25 jeans (which I'm desperately needing) a couple of weeks ago. I - too - am a full-panel only kinda gal, so I got 5 tanks and 3 pairs of jeans for $100 (they have free shipping after $70 or something). Then I also bought some cute summer dresses for work (because SC summers - Lord help me) and a few tops and bottoms. But I'll be in the clothing for most of all of 2019, so I'm not too upset about the $300 hormonally-fueled decision.
    **History in Spoiler**
    Me-35, DH-36 - TTC since 08/10
    Me - anovulatory, non-Insulin PCOS, DH - low end of "normal" sperm count
       IUI#1   - 02/15 - Cancelled due to scrubbed sperm count <1MM
       IVF#1  - 08/15 - 13x5-day blastocysts (ranging from AA-BB, most are 5 or 6), not PGS, on ice
       FET#1 - 10/15 - 1 emb - BFP (DD 07/16) (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#2 - 07/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#3 - 08/17 - 1 emb - BFN (estrace + PIO sesame oil + prometrium)
       FET#4 - 10/17 - 2 emb - BFN (changed to estrace + prometrium because of allergic reaction to PIO sesame oil)
    ERA Testing - 12/17 - window moved (-1 day)
       FET#5 - 03/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
    Karyotype Testing - 04/18 - Negative (we're ok)
       FET#6 - 06/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#7 - 10/18 - 2 emb - BFN (estrace + prometrium, ERA-timing used)
       FET#8 - 11/18 - 2 emb - BFP; looks like one baby is going to make it, DD is due 8/16 (though likely to be 8/9)

• Options
    +1 for full panel pants! Although last time I was due in April, I'm not sure about the full panel through the summer months. 

I never purchased any of their clothes with my previous pregnancy, but I like Asos's maternity clothes and they happen to be having a pretty good sale right now. 
  • Options
    Okay so I have a FTM question, idk maybe it is a dumb question, but how to you know what size to buy in maternity clothing?  if something is sized S/M/L or has a numerical size? do you base it off of your pre-pregnancy size? I should say I hate in-store shopping and prefer to buy online...I may have to suck it up and go to a store. 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    @Avrilmai go by your pre-pregnancy size in most cases. As your bump grows, you may find yourself having to do some slight adjusting. I gained some weight in my thighs last pregnancy and had to go up a size in pants, but for the most part your pre-pregnancy size should do! 
  • Options
    @Avrilmai the general rule of thumb is use your pre-pregnancy weight. A lot of online places will have sizing guidelines on them.

Also, I don't know if all stores have this, but the Destination Maternity near me, had a "7 month bump" in the changing room. It was just a shaped pillow with a velcro strap, but it was based on the average woman, and gave you an idea of how things will fit down the road. So if you want to bite the bullet, you can go out once, get an idea, and then go from there with online shopping.

One more tip, I always check stores' online return policy. Sometimes it's easier to order 10 items, and then pick the 5 best that fit, and send the rest back. Amazon has the best return policy, but a lot of other stores have good options too.
  • Options
    This is my third summer baby... I find Old Navy maternity shirts to be too thin. So, I always wore a camisole underneath which is non-sense in the summer. Target and Destination Maternity are my go-to. Jessica Simpson has a maternity line that's a little pricey, but good for work.
  • Options
    @ElcaB  I usually order up one size in Pink Blush. It tends to be too tight in the breast area for me when I go with my usual size especially for dresses. I’m also tall though. I would check out the size chart. 
  • Options
    Oh, forgot to mention that I do have a maternity bathrobe from pink blush and that thing is true love! It's thin cotton, and worked great for PP recovery/nursing around the house, too. It's starting to lose some of the stitching around the hem now, but it's 2.5 years old & still functional.
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I’ve been doing a bunch of research and like the stuff at ASOS for on trend not too pricey items. Gap seems perfect for basics. I really love the things at Hatch and will likely get a number of nicer items to get me through the later months. My usual style is casual chic. I love skinny jeans and a nice top about 95% of the time. I’m dreading being third trimester in the hot & humid NYC summer, so I know I will need a bunch of flowing airy dresses to stay (somewhat) cool. 
  • Options
    aecmaecm member
    edited January 2019
    @BigBadWolf12 - these dresses that are shaping and prevent thigh rub...do you know what brand they are / where you bought them? My last kiddo was a winter baby and I lived in leggings, but I would LOVE to do more dresses in the summer but I'm definitely going to need to eliminate that thigh rub!

Edit - I just re-read your comment and realized you got the shaping shorts that go UNDER the dresses. Still - brand recommendations?
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    @laurenmicheley ASOS is pretty good. I ordered a pair of full panel skinny jeans from them and love them. They have a really large selection of fashion forward maternity wear and at H&M like prices. I may not feel cute and pregnant, but I'm damn sure gonna look cute! 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Options
    I like ASOS, Pink Blush, and Boohoo so far. 

*Live, Love, Laugh, Learn*

• Options
    @Aecm I got a pair from motherhood maternity and they're still as good as new :) 

https://www.motherhood.com/secret-fit-shaping-panty/006-96522-000-001.html

I guess its called a shaping panty,  but I wore underwear anyways do I could wear the same shorts again before washing. I recall it being more expensive in Canada...I only got one. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019