March 2019 Moms
Options

Anyone currently with a baby monitor please help *tw*

I’m not sure if this is a TW or not but I thought I would say it just in case. It’s about my 4 year old daughter being in the PICU this week with life threatening symptoms.  

So super long story, after three ER trips starting Saturday concerning the way my daughter was breathing, Sunday morning she completely stopped breathing. She turned blue right as we got into the ER room and luckily we were able to get an epinephrine mask on her that saved her life. She almost had to intebated because she was fighting the mask (suffocating instinct is to push anything away from your face while trying to gasp for air). She was in the ICU for three days with terrible retracted breathing and a heart rate over 200 before she was finally showing signs of getting better and moved to the pediatrics floor. She was released that night to go home, even after I said I wasn’t comfortable and didn’t think she was ready and by the morning I had to call an ambulance to take us back. She got admitted again into pediatrics, thankfully this time I caught the breathing before it was too bad but I was scared I couldn’t make it to the hospital in time so I called the ambulance. She has been home since yesterday and is doing well. she was diagnosed with parainfluenza that caused croup and lower respiratory problems. Croup caused her throat to close and her lower respiratory issues caused her to not be able to breathe out. She reacted asthmatically (even though she doesn’t have asthma) and all of the signs of breathing problems were in her sleep. Needless to say, I haven’t taken my eyes off of her and haven’t let her sleep in her room by herself. She’s been sleeping in my bed and has never coslept besides being in a bassinet for a little while. She misses her room and her bed. Which brings me to my favor! 

Anyone with a current baby monitor that they use, over the next few days could you please listen and let me know if you can hear your child breathing? I also want to be able to see her but hearing her is much more important. Let me know which brands you can hear your child breathing with please so I can make a good educated decision when buying one! 

Also, hug your babies. I never want to experience anything like that again. That virus is like RSV, but worse. No vaccination for it and most of the time it’s not bad, but when it is it can be deadly. It also has nothing to do with the flu despite its name. My daughter was a preemie and was intubated at birth but any kid can react the same way she did regardless of if they had premature lungs or not. I hope all your babies stay safe and healthy this flu season!!

Re: Anyone currently with a baby monitor please help *tw*

• Options
    @mamakeeg I’m so sorry! That’s terrifying. My son had to spend 2 nights in the PICU for croup when he was 5 months old (he kept throwing up the steroid and had to have it intravenously and then kept kicking out the IV)— worst few days of my life. I hope you have someone you can lean on so you can get some sleep too. 

I don’t have any recommendations for a baby monitor but you might try an air mattress in her room if she misses her bed? Hope she’s better soon <3

SaveSave
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @mamakeeg What a terrifying experience. I’m so sorry you and your daughter had to go through that. We have an older summer infant monitor and I can usually hear my son breath if I don’t turn on music. I’m sure there are better monitors out there.

We bought this monitor for our new baby-

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07BRKFS24?psc=1&ref=

It apparently has breathing monitoring but I haven’t used it yet and I’m not sure if it’s my meant for babies.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @mamakeeg I don’t have any monitor experience to share, but I just wanted to say how sorry I am that you and your girl went through that. My daughter had some serious breathing issues during a respiratory virus when she was around 9 months old, and it is terrifying, especially that retracted breathing. I didn’t sleep for a week watching her sleep. I hope it is an isolated incident and your daughter is feeling better very soon!  
  • Options
    @mamakeeg I am so sorry you guys are going through that! Sounds very scary.

This is the monitor we have. I can hear my son breathing if I turn it up all the way, but I have to hold the speaker by my ear and make sure there's nothing else on in the room (fan, white noise, etc). If I zoom in and he's in the right position, I can also see him breathing. It may not be the best option, but thought I'd share in case you don't get any other recommendations. It is pretty cheaply made so it'll break if you plug it into the wrong charger, but otherwise has served us well!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07FP4ZGWX/ref=mp_s_a_1_29_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1547466537&sr=8-29&keywords=video+baby+monitor
  • Options
    @mamakeeg OMG what a horrible experience. I’m so glad she’s home and recovering. Idk if they work for kids as they are designed for infants, but I had a friend that had a breathing monitor mat for her baby. I believe the brand was angelcare and they have combo breathing monitor/audio/video monitors.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    I'm sorry to say I don't have any recommendations but wanted to say that I'm sorry your poor daughter had to go through that and I hope she has a quick and uneventful recovery!
  • Options
    @mamakeeg that sounds awful and I'm so glad your daughter is ok!

We have the motorola monitor and if I turn the volume up all the way I can definitely hear the girls breathing (as well as zoom in and see it).  We'll all be thinking of you!
  • Options
    lelkcotlelkcot member
    edited January 2019
    @mamakeeg how scary, I’m so sorry you guys went through that and I’m glad to hear your daughter is recovering.
    the infant optics DXR-8 is great, used it with DS and if you have the camera on the closer side you can hear them breathe. Honestly though, a good audio monitor may be the best option?
  • Options
    @mamakeeg omg, I can't even imagine, this is so scary and I'm so glad they were able to help her in time! I sometimes take DS's health for granted and this is an eye-opening reminder that being out of the babyhood doesn't mean I should stop worrying. 

Regarding monitors, would any of the new ones, like Owlet, work for older kids? I wouldn't trust a regular audio or video monitor for that. Our audio monitor is from Motorola and even at full volume doesn't catch the breathing. In general, they are marketed all towards being able to hear a baby cry, but not any other noises which could affect your own sleep. And it has to be a sustained noise for a few seconds before our monitor starts to transmit. So I would look more into the smart ones which connect to the body and can track the vitals. And also check with her pediatrician, if he/she might have a recommendation. 
  • Options
    @mamakeeg @mihaelams1 When DD1 was little we had a breathing monitor that clipped to her diaper to check for breathing and would alarm when it didn't sense it. Idk if it would work for older kids or if distressed breathing would trigger the same alarm as no breathing (I think it measured chest rise movement from taking breaths) but it might be another alternative. Of course, we ended up returning it because it would fall off and give us false alarms and I can't remember the name of it, but it's another avenue to look into.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Options
    So glad she is doing better! It’s always so scary when this happens, and the stress can’t be good for you either. Hope you find a monitor that works for you & that you have some help keeping an eye on her so you can get some rest too!  <3
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed
  • Options
    @mamakeeg Just wanted you to know that I was thinking you and your daughter! Praying everything gets better for her soon!!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• Options
    @kristimh80 thank you so much! 
  • Options
    @mamakeeg What a terrifying experience for all of you! I’m glad to hear your daughter is doing better, and hope that it’s a one off incident. How are you doing after dealing with all the stress and scare? I hope that as your daughter continues to recover, you get some solid reassurances about her condition and can relax a bit ❤️.
  • Options
    @mamakeeg so happy she is doing better! I've been thinking about you since I read your post a few days ago.  <3