January 2019 Moms
Options

Baby name help - Nora, Nolan, and Lillian?

First off, we don't know what we're having - it's a surprise. :) My due date is next week (the 24th), and we're still brainstorming baby names. It's been really tricky. Even though we haven't shared our baby names, family members and friends have all WEIGHED IN. I'm sure this is common, but I'm losing patience. Maybe it's just the hormones, stress, and being 39 weeks pregnant - but it is starting to get to me. So, with that, I'm turning to you all to give me some unbiased feedback and advice on names. It's always easier coming from strangers!

Our girl name: Nora Katharine (I like this one. No need to give feedback here unless it is encouragement!  :)
  • Advice needed: I have a friend who shared that "Nora is on the top of her list if she has a girl in the future." This friend doesn't live nearby, but I couldn't help but feel like she was claiming the name if I have a boy. Maybe I'm just being paranoid. I told her we could both name our girls Nora (that is, if we even have girls!) What do you do or say when a friend seems to "claim a name" when they're not pregnant? Isn't it okay to share a name if you live in different states and your kids won't interact often?
  • More advice needed: The first girl name we chose was Lillian (Lily) Grace. It's a name I've had in the back of my mind for decades. My husband and I agreed to it and we were happy with it. Then my mom, out of the blue, told me about a distant cousin twice removed - whom I never met - who died of cancer as a toddler. Her name was Lily. My mom told me, "it will be really hard if you name your baby Lily." I was infuriated... It is so sad to hear about a child that passes away from cancer, so I really don't want to sound insensitive. BUT, my mom never met this girl (and neither did I), and we are no longer in touch with the parents or grandparents. It also happened 10 years ago. Plus, isn't it considered an honor when you name a child after someone who has passed on? Maybe it's my hormones speaking, but I felt like my mother was out of line with this comment. What do you think? As a result, we felt that we had to change the baby's name to Nora, which was our second choice. 
Our boy name: Nolan James (My husband really likes this one, but I'm on the fence. Thoughts? First impressions? Again, I don't want to ask family at this point because it gets so heated and complicated. That's why I'm coming to you.) Is it weird that Nolan is usually a last name? Do you know any Nolans? Does it sound masculine? I realize this is totally subjective, but I am curious, and it's much easier to get unbiased feedback on a message board. 

Thanks everyone! 

Answers

• Options
    I LOVE the name Nolan James! Also I see no reason why you couldn’t use either of the girl names you mentioned. Your baby, your decision. Both excuses for not using the name seem pretty distant and weak. 

For example... Eli is my cousin’s son’s middle name but that didn’t stop me from using that for my baby because I have always loved the name! Good luck!

Honestly I don’t think you can go wrong. You have picked some good names. And people will probably get over it once they see your sweet babes face 😊
  • Options
    I like both of the girl names, and I dont think either argument against them is really a big deal. On a personal note, I like Lillian Grace slightly more than Nora Katharine, and I think Nora and Nolan might be a little too similar (if you wanted to use one for a future sibling), but both girl names are pretty.

I also think Nolan James sounds fine for a boy.

I think at the end of the day, you should just pick the name that you guys like the best, and not worry about everyone elses opinions.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    If family members get upset about names; that’s their problem, and they will get over it. I am due next week with baby #4; we don’t know the gender. My brother-in-law and his wife had a baby in November. They knew that for past babies we had considered the name Whitney. They named their daughter Whitney. I’m not upset; we don’t own that name.

And even if family or friends are upset or don’t like the name you choose, in every case like that I’ve seen, the people who are upset do get over it and eventually like the name because it is the name of someone they care about.