Baby Names

Looking for opinions on the name Clara?

KennyDom2013KennyDom2013 member
edited January 2019 in Baby Names
My husband and I are expecting our 2nd little girl and I’m struggling to come up with another girls name I love just as much as the first (Big Sisters name is Julia Grace). 
I wanted to ask the community what your thoughts are on the name Clara? Pronounced “Claire-uh”
My husband absolutely adores the name and is completely invested, even lovingly refers to the baby as “Clair-Bear”. Any an all thoughts or suggestions are welcome, asking for positive feedback on what you think of the name Clara (middle name most likely will be Rose). I would say I like “classic timeless” names, a name that would pair well and sound sweet when said naming both my girls in conversation...for whatever reason I don’t know why I’m doubting Clara? Sometimes I think it’s because she isn’t physically here yet? Julia has my heart and her name feels so fitting. I want that connection with the name Clara but I’m waiting to hear something that sparks those feelings for me. Thanks so much! :  )

Re: Looking for opinions on the name Clara?

• I adore Clara. I think it sounds wonderful with Julia. 
  • It's on my list too! My only reservation is f there would be confusion with the pronunciation. Claire-ah vs clahr-ah.
  • Loading the player...
  • Clara Rose is a beautiful name! (And "Claire-uh" is how I personally would pronounce it. Pronunciation may be regional, but if it's a concern, maybe test your friends for how they would naturally pronounce that name?) Maybe try referring to your little one as Clara for a little bit to test the name out on your tongue? If it's still doesn't seem to fit then maybe keep looking but I think it's a great option!
  • You can’t go wrong with Clara. It’s gorgeous!
  • I love Clara and think it’s a good pair with Julia. 
  • KennyDom2013KennyDom2013 member
    edited January 2019
    SmrBrd2012  This is one of my concerns too!! Some older relatives we’ve shared the name with have already made that mistake and it makes me cringe. I wouldn’t want her to have to deal with correcting people her whole life? I struggle with the question "is this downfall enough reason to ditch the name all together?"
  • I think Clara is a solid, classic name. I also think the pronunciation difference between Claire-a and Clah-ra would be pretty insignificant in normal conversation. I feel like it's really only noticable because you're over-pronouncing it because you're worried about it, but in everyday conversations it won't be that noticable.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I don't think so. People mispronounce and misspell names all the time, even common names. I'm one of those blessed with a name that my mom chose to spell "differently" and it's also not a common girl's name so I had the double whammy.
    I think if you love the name, correcting a few people here and there won't be a big deal.
  • does anyone feel the name sounds too old? My mom politely said it sounded like an "old lady name" which of course is on my mind now. It's tough picking out someone else name for them to have the rest of THEIR lives. you hope they love it  <3 
  • Old lady names are quite popular right now and make a nice alternative to some of the super trendy stuff that will totally say "my kid was born in the 2010s".  And, the baby will grow up so it will be the name of an "old lady" some day, right?  Pick a name based on not just what sounds good now, but what will age well.  I think Clara is absolutely one of those names.  It is cute enough to work for a little one, but solid enough to age with her.   
  • bellebaby221 fabulous points! I really appreciate the feedback : ) 
  • does anyone feel the name sounds too old? My mom politely said it sounded like an "old lady name" which of course is on my mind now. It's tough picking out someone else name for them to have the rest of THEIR lives. you hope they love it  <3 
    It is one of the old lady names that is fey much coming back. People in your moms generation probably just don’t realize that because Clara hasn’t gotten as popular as others like Ava 
  • I agree, it's not like you're naming her Ethel. When I think of Clara I think of the young girl in the nutcracker.
  • meggymemb0112bellebaby221 Of these 3 names how would you rank Clare, Claire and Clara -favorite to least favorite. 
  • SmrBrd2012  This is one of my concerns too!! Some older relatives we’ve shared the name with have already made that mistake and it makes me cringe. I wouldn’t want her to have to deal with correcting people her whole life? I struggle with the question "is this downfall enough reason to ditch the name all together?"
    I don't think it's such a big issue that you should avoid it. It is a beautiful name! You really can't go wrong and I think it goes so well with Julia. I honestly think most Americans would pronounce it as Claire-ah anyway (assuming you are American...).
  • I don't think I could put one ahead of the others! Claire is on our list so I obviously love that one (I prefer the Claire spelling but either is fine). But one of my friends has a Clara and I just think it's adorable. 
    I don't think you can go wrong. I'd go with whichever sounds best with your LN (one syllable Claire versus two syllable Clara).
  • I would say Clara, Claire, Clare.

Clara because I know a couple of Claire's and it seems slightly more different. Claire over Clare for the spelling.
  • Love Clara! It’s on our list if we ever have another daughter :)
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • The pronunciation issue isn’t bad enough to be a deal breaker. It’s like how Meghan is sometimes pronounced MEGG-in vs MAY-gin. I love Clara and there’s lots of positive feedback here. If you aren’t sold, do you have other names in mind? It might just be that Julia was your top girls name for so long that it’s hard to feel that way about the next name. 
  • Clara is gorgeous en Clair-Bear is adorable! Claire is equally beautiful. So I’m no help :) I’m not fond of the Clare spelling.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • mb0112 We don't have another name in mind and I think that says alot <3 truly appreicate the feedback, I think you nailed it when you said Julia was my top name for so long and there's so much emotion involved (her being my first born and all the love I have for her has made the name so special). Im sure once baby #2 is here I'll be saying in a years time I couldn't see her being named anything other than Clara.
  • I think Clara is a beautiful name!

Don't let the old lady names deter you. My daughter is Marguerite, NN Maggie.