July 2019 Moms

Cribs

Has anyone bought their cribs yet for a nursery? I was thinking of getting one from Target or Ikea but I am not sure if they are sturdy? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Re: Cribs

• I believe all cribs need to meet the same safety standards to be sold. Good luck. 
  • I got one from Walmart 9yrs ago that has been used for 4 kids and will be used for our 5th one soon. No problems or regrets. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Loading the player...
  • I got one from walmart over 4 years ago and it's been great! 
  • @knottie5433595848730d46 I have several friends who liked their Ikea cribs. I find that they are diligent about revisiting safety standards with kids furniture now and I'd consider getting one of their cribs if I had the space for a full size. 

Also, could you head over to The Knot to change your username? Once you do that, log out of The Bump and log back in. It's hard to follow who we are talking to with the random generated usernames and we'd love to get to know you better. Thx!
  • I have a custom made crib, hand made by an Amish man.  I paid over $1200 for it.  My two year old has slept in in like 3 times.  For this one, I am using a co-sleeper until 3 months, then a pack and play until 6 months.  Then we will decide if we need to buy a crib or just let them stay in our room.
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited January 2019

I got mine for my 13 month old from Ikea for $99. Works great! Converts into a toddler bed when the time comes.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I will join team IKEA crib! I got a non-IKEA crib mattress to go with it since they are standard sizes. They also have practical add ons for storage underneath which I used a ton in DD’s tiny room in our apartment she came home to (65ft2). As many have said on other boards, lots of kids destroy the bars by teething on them so not worth the investment on something expensive (in my opinion).
  • Another team IKEA mom here for our first. We're just shifting all the furniture from M's room over to the new nursery and buying some big kid furniture for the 2 year old. 
  • We have the exact Ikea one posted by @tsa208 and we love it. We'll use it again this time around. We also used it as a toddler bed and as a daybed in DD's play room.
  • Thank you for all the feedback!
  • I bought one from Target in 2012 for $150. Our daughter and son both used it and so will #3.
  • We just got ours in 2 days ago, I was in love with the idea of having the changing table attached.  we got ours at WayFair 
  • Has anyone used Delta Children? I keep seeing their sets advertised on FB. It looks like most come with glider, dresser/changing table, crib, mattress, sheets, etc. 
  • Ikea! My particular kid wasn't into the toddler bed thing, but that's not the crib's fault. We'll reuse it for #2.
  • Glad to hear so many STMs on the IKEA train since that’s what we had planned 😊 Any specific mattresses you’d recommend for IKEA cribs?
  • @msimi we went with something like half organic off amazon I think? I can maybe dig back. What I do remember learning is to get whatever mattress into the house and out of the plastic for a few months before baby will sleep on it- off gassing the chemicals I believe. I’m not generally super woo,  but that seemed like an easy enough step for me to take just in case. Although spoiler alert- she didn’t make it into that crib for a solid 6 months so no matter what it probably would have been just fine. 😂
  • erynpdx said:
    @msimi we went with something like half organic off amazon I think? I can maybe dig back. What I do remember learning is to get whatever mattress into the house and out of the plastic for a few months before baby will sleep on it- off gassing the chemicals I believe. I’m not generally super woo,  but that seemed like an easy enough step for me to take just in case. Although spoiler alert- she didn’t make it into that crib for a solid 6 months so no matter what it probably would have been just fine. 😂
    Same! Also, my baby didn't sleep in her crib until 6 months either! I got this one and it's weird, it overall has 4 stars but some really bad reviews are mixed in there! I have had a good experience with mine though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004044LD4?colid=VR4QJI6U9MKT&coliid=I2IO9PA51ZU0T7&ref=br_ADD_TO_CART_title_link&th=1

If y'all haven't checked it out, be sure to look at https://www.babybargains.com/ - a completely independent review site that covers all kinds of baby products. They are like Consumer Reports for baby stuff and they list the best bargain, midrange and splurge categories as well. It was really helpful for me!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How do you guys feel about buying a crib second hand? I saw one I really want on FB marketplace but my friend is telling me that I should not buy one for safety reasons?
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @babyginjuly You should be fine as long as it's not older than 10 years and doesn't have drop-sides. Here are the CPSC standards:

https://www.cpsc.gov/Safety-Education/Safety-Education-Centers/cribs

On the right column you can find more detailed info about different topics like how to check a crib for safety. 
  • @mamanbebe Thank you so much! My friend has a pottery barn crib and it's lasted her through 3 kids and doesn't have a single paint chip and it's so sturdy. I found one on FB market for like $80 in excellent condition that's 2016 model and it's better than spending $599.
  • @babyginjuly That is a great deal! Esp for Pottery Barn Kids, which are really solidly built :) 
  • I am pretty sure we bought our convertible crib at Target and it is doing great 17 months later. We plan to convert it for our oldest and are also looking at cribs for the new baby. Here are my tips for crib shopping, no matter where you get it:

1. Don't get the kind with attached changing table unless it can be removed easily. You can't use the changing table after the kid starts trying to fling themselves off. That was pretty early for us and the changing table became the place where we set crap. They just take up space.
    2. Slats all the way around (no solid sides) for sleep safety. Our oldest has one with a solid side at the back. He moves A LOT in his sleep and would sometimes wiggle his face near the solid side. 
  • @babyginjuly - I wouldn't buy one second hand unless it has never been used. Primarily because you just won't know if the original owners assembled it correctly or not. 
  • @strickland8052 that's what my friend is saying, but the one I'm buying is disassembled and I found the instructions of assembling this particular model and plan and re-assembling it with hubby following the instructions.
  • @mismi We got am organic bamboo mattress for ours. We LOVE it and will be using it again since DD only slept in her crib for the first 6 months. 

@babyginjuly I wouldn't have an issue using a second hand crib. Plus you might have a baby like mine who hated the crib after a few months anyways so saving 500$ sounds like a good deal to me!
  • @Panaceia Where'd your daughter sleep at 6mo-real bed?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @greeneyedgirl12 We put a double matress on the floor up againstcthe wall and I just bed shared in her room with her. It was magical. I plan on doing the same with this LO if she starts hating the crib too.
  • edited January 2019
    @babyginjuly technically everyone who reuses a crib for subsequent babies is using a second hand crib.  I would be all for it.  My husband owns a pest control business, so that only thing that I am wary about when buying used furniture is bedbugs. But I don’t think it would be a huge issue with a crib and you can clean it well. 

@Panaceia I coslept with all of my kids the first few months and plan on it again.  I did find a cosleeper model that was only being sold in Europe with my last kiddos, that I can now buy here.  We never had much luck with the arms reach type cosleeper, but I think I will give this one a whirl.  Bonus is that it doubles as a bassinet too-which again was a useless entity for us since I babywear most of the time. 
  • scp2585scp2585 member
    edited January 2019
    I had it in my mind to look up the cribs recommended by The Wirecutter this weekend. I tend to go there before I buy anything, their reviews are SOLID. 
    Then it will be about deciding whether we want white or wood finish for this baby boy :)
  • @xtinecatherine I loved bed sharing. I would start immediately with this new LO but I still bedshare with DD so I'm worried about safety issues with baby and DD in the same bed. Once baby is old enough we'll have her in bed with us too. Likely a king sized mattress on the floor. I'll do cosleeping with this one for now while continuing to bedshare with DD. I'm going to try the Halo bassinet to start. I'm all about baby wearing too so it's just the night time I need to worry about;)
  • @xtinecatherine what cosleeper will you go with? I live in a studio apartment and we aren’t planning on moving for a while (because San Francisco), so have been researching bassinets/cosleepers and would be curious what you like!
  • I found this helpful as a FTM, and thought I’d share!

https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cribs/buying-guide/index.htm