April 2019 Moms
Options

Product Spotlight: Nursing Accessories

For those planning on (trying to) breastfeed.

Covers: if you and your baby liked them, what style worked best?  What brand was soft/compressible for the diaper bag/had a cool pattern/was actually big enough? What were the pros and cons of what you had? Do you have other relevant info I’m forgetting?

Nipple shields: if used, where did you get them? How did you figure out what fit? 

Nipple/leakage pads: reusable or disposable? Did they show through your shirt? Was it worth it anyway? Any brand preferences?

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): what did you use? how essential was it? Where did you get it - and how much did you need?

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: what did you use? Pros/cons? Did it fit you and baby comfortably?

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!): what worked for you as a reference?

FTMs: when you look at breastfeeding accessories, what’s confusing or unpredictable? Ask away!

Want to discuss something else? Recommend it here, or second some recs by loving someone’s post (I’ll try to prioritize): https://forums.thebump.com/discussion/12734953/product-spotlights-upcoming-or-requests

All product spotlights can be resurrected at any time for further discussion - type “Product Spotlight” into the search bar at the bottom of the page to find previous threads.

Re: Product Spotlight: Nursing Accessories

• Options
    Covers: I like the scarves and a Aden and Anis Muslim blankets. They’re light weight and I use them for my own comfort when in very public places. 

Nipple Shields: I used the medela ones. My nipples are inverted so they help my babies attached. Just trail and error to find a fit.  DD used one for 10months and it was such a pain (get a retainer case to store them in) and DS only used one for 6ish weeks. Oh and as a warning my dog liked to eat them if they were left out

Nipple pads: I used both reusable and disposable. You could see the reusable more especially if it was a thin shirt but typically a bra hides them. I only need them the first couple months

Nipple care: coconut oil worked best for cracked and sore nipples

Pillow: I had a my breastfriend that I used in the beginning but eventually switch to a regular pillow. It not necessary but is nice when you a baby are both getting used to things

Books: Medications and Mothers Milk

• Options
    I used anything and everything for a cover. Winter baby made me like my knit infinity scarf/nursing cover a lot and muslin blankets 

I didn’t use shields but I did use those shell things that keep your bra from touching sore nipples and lets them air out a bit and catches the leaks. 

I needed the above item especially because it turns out I’m allergic to lanolin and was literally having pieces of skin torn off during nursing. I have scars. Anyway, switched to mothers balm? It’s all natural and soft and smells nice and is edible for baby and it was amazing how fast it helped me heal. I only needed it for the first month after I started it, so.... about two months in. 

I used reusable breast pads because that worked well. i didn’t over produce past 4 months so they weren’t necessary after that. 

I tried my breast friend and boppy and preferred boppy but I did also have To supplement with more pillows the first two months. I was so anemic I couldn’t hold her up at all. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    So, as a FYI before you read my info, I never BF exclusively, due to LO being in the NICU, I always did a combo of pumping/nursing/formula. So my experience is from a combination of all of that.

Covers: If I was at home, there was no cover. If we had company (usually family), I would hide my other boob but they were in my house so they deal with it. I tried to be a little more modest when my dad and brothers were around, but I can't count the number of times my mom, SIL's and MIL saw my boobs. You lose all sense of modesty really quick when you have a baby. I personally would rather use one of the muslin blankets versus a cover, covers get hot. 

Nipple shields: I was lucky and did not need this.

Nipple/leakage pads: I had both, I preferred the reusable ones as they seemed to fit better and you can put them in the freezer to help with the pain.

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): Again, I was lucky to not have cracked or bleeding nipples (DD had an incredible latch) and I did not have this. I did have Lanolin on stand by though.

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: We used the Boppy for a looooong time. DD is now 2.5 and I think we just gave it up about a year ago, if not less. I strongly recommend getting some kind of feeding support. Even if you use only formula/EP, you will still need support to hold your baby while you feed him/her.

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!): Honestly, other moms in my BMB who knew what the heck they were doing were the most helpful. I found a lot of resources to help with supply (Fenugreek, gatorade, power pumping, etc, etc.)
  • Options
    Covers: I used nursing scarves but I’m planning to get one with a strap so it stays in place better. I’ll be nursing in public more with this one so I’d like more security. Otherwise at home I just went around with my boobs out. My SILs learned a few things about what bfing boobs look like. Lol. 

Nipple shields: DD had a weak latch so we used these for a while. Thankfully she weaned herself off of them pretty easily before three months. Nobody told me this but they can cause lower supply, so use them only as long as you need and no longer. Anyway, I used the ones the hospital gave me at first. Then ordered more from amazon. I used the medela contact size small. The hospital helped me learn what size I needed. 

Pads: ok so I had some reusable ones and liked them. HOWEVER early on when baby is nursing a lot, especially marathon nursing, nipples may not have time to dry off enough and thrush may develop. Reusable ones will make it worse unless you are changing them often and washing them in very hot water. So I recommend them for later when baby isn’t nursing as often. When I battled thrush (because I was round the clock nursing then pumping and my nipples were constantly moist), I switched to disposable. Just your classic lansinoh ultra soft ones. I know it’s tmi but I wish someone had warned me before I got thrush. 

Nipple care: just your typical lanolin. When I got thrush I was prescribed APNO. Oh and sometimes I used the medela cooling gel pads. 

Support pillow: I have friends who love the my breast friend but I loved my boppy and used the crap out of it. Having a couple of covers is necessary for the constant spit up. 

Resources: I saw an LC and/or an IBCLC once a week for the first several weeks to help with latch problems, which were causing poor transfer and poor weight gain problems. I credit them with getting us through and I successfully made my baby chunky for 15mos! These ladies were free resources via the hospital I delivered at (the IBCLC) and at DD’s pediatrician (the LC). Do not be afraid to join a breastfeeding support group! 

• Options
    Covers: didn’t really use them since DD hated, but occasionally a muslin blanket (Aden + Anais) draped over the top of my giant bust.

Nipple shields: didn’t use

Nipple/leakage pads: didn’t use; I got a lot of samples and gave most away.

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): used lanolin a few times and was surprised at how very little I needed. Like, pea-sized was too much for both nipples. Recommend the smallest tube you can find, or sample sizes.

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: started with standard pillows in the NICU and didn’t find them at all comfortable/helpful. At home, switched to side-lying nursing and never used a pillow again (except maybe to keep DD propped on her side). 

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!):
    The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding (La Leche League) - especially helpful when I thought I had clogs and mastitis (I did). Also helpful early on in trying to figure out how to get DD to latch. 
    LactMed - online directory of medications/herbs and what we know/don’t know about how they pass through to milk and affect baby. https://www.toxnet.nlm.nih.gov/newtoxnet/lactmed.htm
  • Options
    Covers: I didn't really use one for DS as we spent the majority of time at home, or I was at work and would pump in the bathroom.  Occasionally I would use whatever blanket I had on hand.  I may put one on a wish list for this LO as I'll be out a lot more with both of them doing things.

Nipple shields: I didn't use these either, so no experience or recommendations to offer.

Nipple pads: I loved my Bamboobies reusable ones because I could just toss them in the washer.  I definitely needed the overnight ones at first when I had an oversupply, but I think I dropped using them after a few months.

Nipple care: I got a small container of Earth Mama Angel Baby nipple balm, but I don't remember if I used it much.  I may have just used some of the CJ's Butter cream we had on hand for DS anyway (mostly coconut oil, shea butter, etc.).

Nursing pillow: I had a Boppy hand me down, but I think I used it just a handful of times.  We would mostly nurse sitting in an armchair with my elbow propped up, or side-lying in bed at night.

I will say for new moms wanting to breastfeed, look for all of the local resources you can find!  But don't stress yourself out or feel guilty if breastfeeding doesn't work out for you.  My sister had a super hard time at first, and did manage to pump and breastfeed after the first few months, but her son was tongue-tied at birth and no one ever explained that that could cause problems with latching.  Ask for multiple opinions if something doesn't sound right or you think there's something wrong and feel brushed off.  So many doctors I see just ignore my opinion, and maybe that's just in my area, but it definitely can feel like you're alone in it all.  Don't give up, it's your baby and your body!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    eli_belleeli_belle member
    edited November 2018
    Covers: Both of my kids hated covers so I never really used them.

Nipple shields: I needed a nipple shield for my second. I picked up the only type they sold at BRU. They worked well enough. 

Nipple/leakage pads: Disposable hands down!! I tried the reusable kind but I had a massive over supply and leaked through them in no time. I even filled an entire disposable to the point of leaking a few times, but had so much better luck with them. I used the Lansinoh brand.

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): I definitely needed some lanolin for the first month or so. My second had a hard time learning to latch and my nipples were literally cracked and bleeding. Also used the Lansinoh brand.

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: I have the Breast Friend pillow and I hate it. Quickly replaced it with a normal pillow. First it is so constraining the way that it belts on. The total width was too wide to sit comfortably in the chair that I primarily nursed in. The pillow is hard with these bumps that are supposed to help LO assume an ergonomic position but they just got in the way. I much preferred a normal pillow that I could grab quickly (didn't need to strap on), could reshape as needed, and could easily toss to the side when I was done. It is really hard to undo a buckle when you are holding a floppy newborn.

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!): Look into a lactation consultant that you can call with questions. Some hospitals offer this. It happened that my work paid for a lactation consultant for new parents. It is really helpful to troubleshoot, even just over the phone with someone who does this regularly. Breast feeding is hard work, even for experienced moms since every baby is different. 

ETA: Don't forget the nursing sleep bras! You will need something to hold the nursing pads in place overnight. I liked the wrap style sold at Motherhood Maternity.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    saraleigh2saraleigh2 member
    edited November 2018
    Covers: if you and your baby liked them, what style worked best?  What brand was soft/compressible for the diaper bag/had a cool pattern/was actually big enough? What were the pros and cons of what you had? Do you have other relevant info I’m forgetting? Second a Muslin blanket, mostly used to cover me not baby. 

****note: my son was tongue tied and I had over supply/forceful let down, I had cracked bleeding nipples, clogged ducts, and my son had tongue tied release at 8 days old, we worked closely with a IBCLC and would not have been successful w/o her. We saw her 2x wk the 1st month! 

Nipple shields: if used, where did you get them? How did you figure out what fit? My lactation consultant helped with fit etc, I have seen the same ones I used at target and on line. This helped my son transfer from finger feeding with a periodical syringe (expresses milk) to breast with shield around 3wks old. I only used for about 2 weeks but it was important for that transition. 

Nipple/leakage pads: reusable or disposable? Did they show through your shirt? Was it worth it anyway? Any brand preferences? Since my nips were cracked and bleeding and I also leaked a ton I liked bamboobies overnight reusable pads 24x7 the fabric stuck to my bleeding nips less than other brands/ disposable also more breathable and less itchy then others!!! I was so leaky I wore these for 1.5 years! I’m still nursing my 30 month old. 

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): what did you use? how essential was it? Where did you get it - and how much did you need? I have to say I always applied coconut oil and felt it prevented infections and thrush. I also used bamboobies nipple cream and lanolin. I always applied after nursing because my nips got beat up due to tongue tie and learning to latch and later teething (my son clamped down on me). 

For cracked bleeding nipples: 8oz water w/1tsp salt dissolved then put in shot glass or small cup and soak your nips- cleans, prevents infection and promotes healing. 

Hot packs that that go in the microwave before you massage to help block ducts and mastitis like these from:
     Momcozy Breast Therapy Gel Pads Breast Ice Pack,Hot and Cold Use for Nursing Mothers ,Relieve Breastfeeding Problems ,Use with Breast Pump by Medela, Lansinoh, Ameda, Spectra,Ashtonbee - Large Size https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CM7BMJ5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_jmc9BbECZEA3P

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: what did you use? Pros/cons? Did it fit you and baby comfortably? Huge vote for breast friend especially if you have a hard time latching I dragged this thing everywhere for 6 mo.

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!): what worked for you as a reference? Womanly art of breastfeeding and sweet sleep also LLL website. 

• Options
    Covers: I think I just used those muslin aden + anais blankets/swaddles but honestly didn't use it for long because DD liked to breastfeeding with her arm in the air. And I wore nursing tank tops underneath tops and I figured out how to have my breasts covered while still breastfeeding but I also only have C/D cups while nursing. 

Nipple shields: I got them at the hospital because I had/have inverted nipples but I didn't like them and neither did DD.  What I found that worked for my inverted nipples was using the Lansinoh LatchAssist Nipple Everter right before latching and then using Medela Softshells (got for free from my lactation consultant but they are available on amazon) because I couldn't stand fabric touching my nipples for the first few weeks. I only had to use these products for the first few weeks till DD got used to breastfeeding my nipples became more regular. 

Nipple/leakage pads: I leaked during the first bit but honestly was so sleep deprived that I would just change my shirt when I had leaks. Later I never leaked once my supply was established. 

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): I got some lanolin in a Lansinoh breastfeeding kit. 

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: A friend bought me a My Breast Friend but I hated it - I didn't like having to latch it around my stomach.  My mom bought me a Boppy and we used it until DD was weaned (12 months). I never got the hang of breastfeeding in other positions and DD pretty much only nursed in the cradle hold position. 

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!): Honestly it was info from other moms and my lactation consultant. Check with your insurance because the lactation visits can be covered but will vary from different insurance. 

• Options
    Covers: I have no idea what brand it was and honestly I didn’t use it much. 

Nipple shields: I have flat/inverted nipples and used a medela shield for about the first month. We worked with a LC and got rid of it. It really helped in the beginning but nursing was so much easier when we got rid of it. 

Nipple/leakage pads: I had leftover FSA money that year, so I bought a case of lansinoh pads, including the extra sensitive ones for when starting. 

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): I used a couple times, but found having to wipe it back off before feeding to be more abrasive. 

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: what did you use? Tried a breast friend, hated it. My aunt had made me a boppy like pillow that was super handy, she put pockets into it which stored a paci, nursing pads, burp cloth etc. Pretty glad I saved them :)
    Anniversary TTC since Oct 2009
    PCOS
    BFP June 3,2012
    Partial Molar Pregnancy :(
    D&C July 12, 2012
    Forced 6 month break.
    BFP January 13, 2013
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    for nipple care in the early days when your nipples get raw so quickly, the medela gel pads were a godsend! i had 2 sets. i kept one set in the fridge and would switch them out between nursing sessions. (warning: i’ve heard mothers claim these causes thrush/mastitis, so use w/ caution! i never slept w/ mine on.)

the old-school gerber pre-fold cloth diapers, in my opinion, are THE BEST burp cloths! i had crazy over-supply. i squirted liquid gold everywhere when my son popped off the boob. i kept one of these close by during every nursing session to catch the spray, and then burp baby. 
    Gerber Prefold Gauze Diaper, White, 5 Count https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007VBYVXI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_JoH-BbM2Q1P9D

and i know nursing clothes has had been mentioned in the maternity wear thread, but i’ll say it here: i didn’t know about any nursing-friendly layered items 4yrs ago (& didn’t reallt have the disposable income to buy them anyway.) so i made my own w/ old camis. i cut the straps, then sewed a loop that i could slip my nursing bra clip thru. i layered t-shirts &/or button downs on top. here’s a youtube tutorial i used as a guide: 
    https://youtu.be/v7C6O4CncNQ
  • Options
    Covers:
    I used Muslin blankets as covers.  I would pull one side of my dress or T-shirt down, then I just draped them over the top of my breast.  It was modest enough, but I was clearly breast-feeding.  In the beginning I wore nursing bras or nursing tanks, but eventually I switched back to my regular bra. 

Nipple shields:
     These were a godsend. I used Medela ones that I bought from target. I never really felt confident about sizing – I looked at the instructions online and bought a couple of sizes and use the one that seemed to help most. 

Nipple pads:
     I had an under supply, so I didn't use these. 

Nipple care:
     My OB/GYN told me to put breastmilk on cracked and bleeding nipples. It helped. I also aired them out.  I tried the earth mama nipple butter, but it didn't seem to help much.

Nursing Pillow:
     I used the Boppy and it worked well for us.  There are a ton of these available secondhand. 

Books/blog/articles:  I used Jack Newman's website extensively when we were struggling with latching problems. He also has a great video available on YouTube about getting a good latch, and what to do if you don't have one.  It took two (excruciating, exhausting) months to get baby's lip tie diagnosed, and in that time the only thing that made it possible for me to breast-feed was the nipple shield and the breast compression technique he said he describes.  I wish I had trusted my instincts and supplemented with formula - baby was definitely hungry, even though the pediatrician told me he was fine. 
  • Options
    PSA: zulily has an event today on maternity/nursing wear. they are selling nursing bras for great prices, from a company called rosie pope. i read a few reviews on amazon before purchasing, they seem legit. i got 5 bras for $66 after shipping. 
  • Options
    Covers: I gave up on a cover while nursing in public very quickly. DS hated it and I'm not modest. But I found my Hooter Hider really helpful to have while pumping... Especially at work or in public. The shape and neckstrap (coupled with a good pumping bra like the Simple Wishes D Lite Hands Free Pumping Bra from Amazon) was super convenient

Nipple/leakage pads: I had a bunch of disposable Lansinoh ones from Amazon stocked up but ended up not needing them. I leaked only a couple times oddly enough but those couple times they worked well. 

Nipple care (lanolin and other products): I used Lansinoh lanolin from Amazon in the beginning and found it really helpful. Didn't need it after a month or two but was definitely necessary in the beginning. 

Boppy/My Breast Friend/pillow support for baby: I loved the My breast friend for the first 3-5 months. I found it supported the baby more in the beginning and was more convenient for a number of reasons. But I found the boppy to be more useful once he got bigger. If you can make it work I recommend having both.

Books/blogs/articles (loose definition of “accessory”!): what worked for you as a reference? KellyMom.com is a great resource - I used it constantly. I also found mybabysleepguide.com to have a lot of helpful suggestions. Mostly about sleep but there are some breastfeeding nuggets in there I used too. 

• Options
    Oh! And I'll second the comment about sleep nursing bras. 

And my hospital had a weekly breastfeeding support group ran by an IBCLC that was a life saver on so many levels. Got breastfeeding support and SO much more. I'd go even if I wasn't breastfeeding. 
  • Options
    Hey everyone, so appreciate this insight. I'm a FTM who is planning on doing a combination of BFing and pumping (if I can). I'm a little nervous about the whole process, because I had a breast reduction surgery in 2011, with one side left with a substantial amount of scar tissue due to infection. I'm lucky that in light of this, my hospital will provide me with access to a LC. In the beginning I'm planning on renting pumping gear until I know whether or not I'm able to actually produce / express milk. Does anyone who pumped have any insights on pumping gear for when I go to buy some (assuming of course I actually am able to produce / express)?
  • Options
    @kate_e_nb what type of gear do you mean? Like what pump to get? I would check to see if your insurance covers one before renting - you can usually get one for free from insurance. One of my dear friends had a breast reduction back in like, 2012 maybe? And has nursed/pumped for three kids so it's definitely possible. Her best luck pumping was with a Spectra. 
  • Options
    @MRDCle Thanks for the tip about insurance! I hadn't even considered it, but I suppose you're right, they probably would cover some or part of it! I know my SIL just bought some pumping gear a while back and where she's self-employed (aka no insurance) it cost her like $600.00! I'll have to look into the Spectra pump :)
  • Options
    @kate_e_nb the Spectra S2 is covered on a lot of insurances and is a really good pump.
  • Options
    @kate_e_nb Are you in the US? Per the Affordable Care Act, your insurance will cover at least some pumps. If they don't cover the one you want, the Spectra is one of the more affordable ones, at about $200. That's what I got, even with insurance covering it 100%, because I've heard great things about it (I can't offer any advice, though, I'm a FTM as well!)
  • Options
    @rennie1108 No I'm in Canada. DH's insurance that he gets through work though is pretty good, so I imagine there will be some kind of coverage! Although if not, $200.00 definitely isn't as bad as $600.00!
  • Options
    edited January 2019
    @kate_e_nb:  Based on my experience last time, I would wait to buy a pump until you need it/see how things are going.  Our insurance had us choose between buying one off a list and renting something hospital-grade, and I'm glad we waited b/c we would have bought for sure had we decided before the birth, but I DEFINITELY needed the hospital-grade to make it even 3 months.  I imagine something similar would be still be true for less extreme cases: pumps really range in cost/effectiveness, and it might be best to see what your supply's like before choosing to skip or shell out.  

FWIW we also borrowed a Medela Pump-In-Style from a friend and I would buy one if I had a normal supply and wanted my own.  It's not the strongest pump, but I really liked that it was more or less also a purse and had built-in storage for all the pieces.  One more thing to carry, but ten fewer things to lose! :-D
  • Options
    @TheSouffleGirl that's a good point! And at the end of the day, it might be moot anyway! My surgeon had told me I've got a 50/50 shot of being able to BF at all, so may as well not invest a bunch of money in pumps if the baby needs to be formula fed at the end of the day.
  • Options
    @kate_e_nb: Yeah, that's what happened to us.  We were glad we didn't buy and count just return the rental when we wound up going 100% formula at just under 3 months.