March 2019 Moms

Trying to Stay Fit Mama Monday

Can’t believe how close we’re getting to these babies arriving! 
How are you doing with your activity goals? How are you feeling, what kind of adjustments are you making? Are you doing anything special exercises wise to prepare for birth?

Re: Trying to Stay Fit Mama Monday

• This week marks 10 weeks to go & I'm so shocked/proud of myself that I've been getting at least some movement typically 3x a week :flushed: 
    I give myself the goal of weights 3 days with a walk following each day, feel like those are small & obtainable goals. Feeling good overall but I really get winded quickly depending on the movement - pretty sure 20 minutes of strength training is more like 12 minutes activity, 8 minutes of breathing lol. 
    As far as exercises for birth prep I didn't do anything but walk with DD so I'm hoping strength training I'm doing now will help me more for delivery. Do squats help with that preparation? 
  • @HoneyBear40 Squats are supposed to be great. I think it's Ina May Gaskin that said if a woman squats 1000 times a day her labor will be a breeze, or something to that effect.

Finally managed to force myself to do some 1.5hrs of prenatal yoga last week. I need to do at least that once a week, in addition to any walking needed to keep my blood sugar in check. Maybe once my weekly schedule settles down a little I'll be able to plan on bringing some walking shoes and walk at the gym after lunch.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Loading the player...
  • I slowed way down last week. I had a busy week between work and things outside of work. I didn't get to go to yoga because we took DD1 to a sibling class that was at the same time. I also had a lot of pressure and pelvic pain last week, so that reduced my movements.
    This past weekend I was on my feet a lot doing freezer meal prep and grocery shopping. I made myself do some walking and didn't feel too bad afterwards. Planning to get back to yoga this week until I can't anymore. I've got less than 6 weeks until d-day but I'm hoping for less considering where she is sitting right now...so uncomfortable!
    I'm not doing anything in particular that is special to plan for labor. I mean I couldn't do any exercise with my last pregnancy and was in amazing shape prior to pregnancy which I feel impacted labor tremendously (it was a quick and easy one). This time I think everything I've done up to this point is going to help. I mean I just came off running a marathon when I got pregnant and ran up through some of 2nd tri. Now all I plan to do is squats and walking baby out.
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • I'm happy with my activity last week. It was warm and sunny on Friday so I walked 1.5 miles, and the whole weekend I did house chores that felt like a workout (I washed and sanitized all bottles, nipples and pumping parts, which is a lot, as well as vacuumed, mopped and helped DH carry and put up 2 mahogany dressers from an estate sale). I'll also go to my regular fit4baby workout today in the evening. I might also walk some during my lunch break today - it's cold, but sunny outside. Not making any adjustments for now since I feel better than in the second trimester!

As for exercises to prepare for birth, there are all those positions on spinning babies, but I stopped doing them once I got the confirmation that he's head down. Like I posted in the thread about plans for older kids during labor, I'm in a bit of an uncertain situation, so I don't want labor to start until MIL is here at 39.5 weeks to help with DS1. I'll postpone all the special positions and exercises until then. 

• Hit half my goals for last week, but due to a flare of pelvic pain I only managed 2 walks. Having been better about some specific exercises seems to be helping manage the pelvic pain though. So hopefully I’ll do better this week! Definitely been slowing down and trying to be ok with that.
    Trying to do extra squats and lower body stuff to try and prepare for labor. Nothing super specific though.
  • @meggyme Well I'm certainly no where near 1000 squats! Haha... Good to know though :)
  • @HoneyBear40 me either! If that’s the goal I’m definitely falling way short 🤣
  • You ladies are awesome! 

@lelkcot hope the pelvic pain goes away and you’re able to fully resume your normal/modified exercises! 

I’m definitely slowing down each week but any sort of daily activity - whether it be a group fitness class, walking, etc. - tends to be the highlight of my day so hoping to keep moving as long as possible. At this point (31w+), my semi-rolls out of bed to use the restroom at night even feel like workouts haha. 
  • I slowed waaaay down this week and only made it to one class. I am hoping to do a little better this week, but with just over 7 weeks to go, my goal is to just be easier on myself and do what I can. 
  • I did not do well in this category last week. I try to do something to get my body moving every day, and last week I only managed two long walks and a prenatal yoga. Not a good excuse, but I got so busy at work I didn’t have time to get my lunch break workouts in. Trying to get back to the program this week.

I have kept up with my daily baby preparation excercises though. I do kegels, pelvic tilts, inversions, hip circles on the yoga ball, deep yoga squats, etc. My daughter was sunny side up and I am taking every precaution this time to get baby in an optimal position. 
  • First time checking in, trying to get my butt in gear! 

I was doing cardio/weights and Spinning Babies Daily Activities, but I'm going to just do Spinning Babies from this point forward. I like how gentle it is, but still feel like it helps a lot. I did it three times last week, with the goal for it to be daily as the name suggests :) I would like to do more walking but it's so cold outside (Minnesota)

To prepare specifically for birth, I've been doing squats while I brush my teeth and brush my hair. Hoping to ramp it up, but probably coming short of 1000 lol 
  • I got 3 workouts in last week (one was a 4 mile snowy hike, which was pretty and made me feel badass, since I am 8 months at this point! )

Started this morning with a meditation and 20 min body weight workout, and then 15 min of stretching. It felt nice to do something gentle. Still aiming for 4 days a week for as long as I can, and my fit4baby class is going to do a month long squat challenge starting next week. So I'll do that (but how do you do 1000 squats a day !?!) 
  • I made it to the gym 3 times last week, but one time was treadmill only because there were too many people in the free weight section. Haha. I am feeling pretty good overall. Trying to get stretching/yoga in more often. I have been doing some focus on lower body to prep for childbirth, but I get SO sore, so I have to take it easy. If any STMs have any recommendations on what helped them exercise wise prep for labor, I am all ears! Lol

As always, I am so appreciative of this thread. Knowing I need to check in each week keeps me accountable!
  • @HoneyBear40 yeah, that's totally insane! Could it be 1000 during the entire pregnancy maybe? That sounds more doable.
  • Well hey @meggyme I think I could probably handle 300! Let's see - I'm awake on average 15 hours per day so that's only 20 squats an hour. Hmm...With 10 weeks ago why not add that to the daily to-do list ;)
  • A lot of the squats I do in class call for a medicine ball. I always skip that part because I feel like I'm already wearing one. But I might not walk again this week if I did as many as you ladies!
  • @novelblessings I might need a squat challenge to keep up! I’m doing well to remember to get a few in a couple times a week 😳
  • Still lifting 3-4x/week and running ~3 miles twice a week plus some cool downs after lifts. Have diastasis recti (4cm already!) so am doing lots of modifications. My doc suggested a support belt, so hoping that helps with both the DR and the running! I've heard squats are great too, I've been incorporating them, but am also trying to spend time in that yogi squat position a few times a week to build strength and flexibility. Hard to have the patience when it's not super comfortable but hoping it will help!

• @novelblessings I'm totally down for a squat challenge, or an accountability buddy! I have never done one before really, so at this point I'm just trying to do them every day (since I did 100 today I'm aiming for that as my minimum)! But again, my fit4baby class is going to start one soon and I can share what that ends up being, also. 
  • @novelblessings Great idea! Totally down for a squat challenge! These babies will come flying out! 
  • @abykwail @meggiemadeit We could just have it part of check in for the week? Or make a new thread so everyone knows about it?
  • I think part of the check in is fine! And speaking of.... Today my fitness app included a bunch of squats, so I added in 28 more to get to 100 again, for day #2 in a row! 
  • @abbykwail I had 40 goblet squats...better get at least another 60 :)
  • @HoneyBear40 I believe in you!!! I aim for 10 at a time, hahah 
  • I did a glutes (and core - which I had to modify) yoga video this evening and did quite a few squats, but definitely failed to count 😖
  • 180 squats during today's workout and I'm not sure what the hell was going on/what I was thinking but I RAN 400m at a time for a total of 1 1/2 miles. My max speed was 8.0mph...and now I'm thinking I'm certainly nuts. Pretty sure wearing a belly band makes me feel overconfident :neutral: Felt baby moving after I sat back at my desk so must not have rocked them around too much? I'll be feeling this later I'm sure...
  • i would have loved to keep up with squats! the plyo beachbody workouts are great for that, some really good ones, for those that like squats/ lunges. cant do more than 30 sec now without becoming super swollen/ painful. thats the first thing i want to bring back pp! can't wait to workout pain free (ish) again! i think the only thing i can actually do these days is arms and modified core, and i haven't been great about doing them lately
  • I don't know how many squats we did in yoga last night but I am so sore. She explained one of the reasons we do the really deep ones is to engage baby. I'm probably the furthest along in that class and I kept thinking to myself...yes I can feel her, she is already engaged and it's very uncomfortable!
  • @novelblessings What does it feel like? My first never really dropped or engaged even after 36 hours of labor and 4 hours of pushing. I hope I will feel this guy get into position, but I’m not sure what it feels like? 
  • I woke up this morning and my butt and legs were so sore. My back got tired vacuuming my house and emptying the clean dishwasher. Serves me right for doing so many squats, but I also feel kind of stubborn about this so I will try to get them in today, anyways. I second the question @maggiemadeit asked about what does it feel like when the baby drops or is engaged! 
  • + 1 for what does it feel like when the baby drops? With DS1, he never dropped, and I guess that's why I had such a long labor and they needed to help move things along with Pitocin.
  • I didn’t have this with my first either so this is new to me. This LO has been sitting low since the beginning. I started to notice more pressure on my lady parts a couple weeks ago and my provider checked her position last week because I’ve been so uncomfortable. She confirmed she dropped already and is engaged. I feel her hands swiping low or feel her pushing down around there and just pressure. Sometimes it’s as if she’s just going to fall out. Almost like the pressure I felt when DD1 was crowning but more pressure than pain at this point. If I stand or walk too long my crotch just feels sore and I have to sit. Sometimes it’s like I’m holding something there while walking. 
  • Now I am wondering if my little guy dropped in the last 24 hours. I have felt more pelvic pressure even after peeing, and last night while sleeping/trying to cuddle with DH things like his arm over my rib cage/belly, or resting on my back for 20 min, etc that a few days ago would have been a 'nope, sorry, can't breathe' were actually ok. Maybe those 300 squats I did helped (I had to take Friday and Saturday off because my quads were so sore but I'm going to try again today!)