March 2019 Moms

Say What?!?

Re: Say What?!?

• I have an older co-worker who keeps feeling the need to tell me I need to wear bigger clothes now that I'm pregnant. Like I'm sorry that I'm fashionable and not in a moo moo! 
  • Loading the player...
  • @flyingmombula Oh my! I've never heard that saying, but my dad was also super sarcastic like that so I see what you mean!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• I was wearing baggy clothes while I was hiding it from work. Once I announced, the next day I started wearing form-fitting pregnancy clothes (I even got the comment that I popped out overnight - nope, just no more baggy clothes). I want to make sure I look pregnant, not fat :smiley:
  • Fresh one: coworker in his 50s: "You're so enthusiastic, it must be those hormones!". Hello? I'm enthusiastic about us finally releasing a feature which is 3 months overdue and for which he has full responsibility. How did the hormones get into the picture suddenly?
  • I have an older co-worker who keeps feeling the need to tell me I need to wear bigger clothes now that I'm pregnant. Like I'm sorry that I'm fashionable and not in a moo moo! 
    This must be an older person thing holdover from back when women wore baggy stuff when they were pregnant. I see pictures of my mom and MiL and aunts from the 80s and 90s wearing huge blouses. I know my grandma is definitely not a fan of the fitted t's and such that are popular now. She hasn't actually said anything to me while wearing them, but she made a comment once when I was wearing a looser top. 

Sorry that women nowadays don't want to look like a tent while pregnant. 

I kind of wish they made more baggier maternity clothes options though. I’ve never been comfortable in form fitted and especially not while pregnant. When pregnant with my son eight years ago I had way more options for more flowing shirts. I’ve already out grown a couple of my
    more form fitted shirts this time and I’ve only gained 3 pounds.

We have two sleeping beauties in heaven.
    Jack gained his wings on 09/02/2016. 
    Kali gained her wings on 07/28/2015.
    They will be forever missed. <3
       Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    This must be an older person thing holdover from back when women wore baggy stuff when they were pregnant. I see pictures of my mom and MiL and aunts from the 80s and 90s wearing huge blouses. I know my grandma is definitely not a fan of the fitted t's and such that are popular now. She hasn't actually said anything to me while wearing them, but she made a comment once when I was wearing a looser top. 

Sorry that women nowadays don't want to look like a tent while pregnant. 

I kind of wish they made more baggier maternity clothes options though. I’ve never been comfortable in form fitted and especially not while pregnant. When pregnant with my son eight years ago I had way more options for more flowing shirts. I’ve already out grown a couple of my
    more form fitted shirts this time and I’ve only gained 3 pounds.
    I definitely do see stuff that's not as form fitted, too (especially with that baggy/boxy style being popular in general right now), it's just not quite as huge as the 80s/90s. I have a dolman-style shirt that's looser, similar to the first link minus the big sleeves. And I've seen a number of more flowy shirts on Pink Blush.

https://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/p-43364-mocha-striped-dolman-puff-sleeve-maternity-top.aspx?DepartmentID=1

https://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/p-46739-Burgundy-Striped-Lace-Up-Maternity-Top.aspx?DepartmentID=1

https://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/p-40696-Black-Plaid-Frayed-Hem-Maternity-Top.aspx?DepartmentID=1

https://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/p-44788-Mauve-Floral-Lace-Mock-Neck-Maternity-Blouse.aspx?DepartmentID=1
  • @mihaelams1 I wish the general assumption was that hormones make you more motivated. I feel like we wouldn't face so much pregnancy discrimination if that were the case! I will say that after becoming a working mom, I was definitely more motivated to make my time at work away from my kid count for something. Unfortunately I ended up in a slow paced job with very little high level work to meet my aspirations. I'm hoping to remedy that after this LO comes and we move.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @meggyme I agree! I will say in 2nd tri I feel like my motivation has returned and I've been on top of things at work. But I'm in the same boat, there's nowhere more for me to go really. And if I were to go back f/t after baby, I'd want it to mean something. Guess why I'm leaning on staying home for a bit and working 1-2 days a week to get out of the house. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• One of my coworkers keeps saying “I just can’t believe how little you are!” I’ve gained almost 35 pounds and feel every ounce of it. I can’t wear any of my prepregnant clothes. I’m starting to get pretty cranky. I really wish she would just shut up. Maybe I should just start bawling so she feels terrible?!?!?

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• @3rdtime_charmed Ugh, I feel like when people have twins, everyone assumes they'll look 10x more pregnant. Don't let her get to you. MH a lot lately has said "what happened" You don't look pregnant today." I also wanna tell him to shove it! Cranky here too...I even said yesterday, my BS tolerance is super low lol
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• DH just asked me if I’d be waddling before Christmas and called me mama duck .... 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • The latest in my world of say what.... One of the ladies I work with asked me if I had stretch marks yet..... She is young ish and doesn't have any kids and I wanted to tell her that you just don't ask people things like that. 
  • Bumping this for an annoying comment I got at the family Christmas party (my MiL’s side of the family). Our 16 year old cousin randomly turns to me and announces “you know my mom only gained ten pounds when she was pregnant with me!” and cue his mom chiming in with how she just didn’t gain really, yadda-yadda...  Y’all, I’m somewhere between 22-25lbs at this point and just had a holiday dinner... 
  • mayoduckmayoduck member
    edited December 2018
    One of my in-laws started mock waddling as I approached to greet him at a holiday party the other day. Pretty sure I am not even waddling myself but thanks for making fun of things outside of my control, dude.

ETA: Also had TWO in-laws who independently thought it was hilarious to ask if I was having triplets.
  • @lelkcot @mayoduck OMG! People are the worst!

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• I had a patient this morning who hasn't been in for about two weeks go 'oh wow, aren't you going to pop like next month??'

Well, actually I have 8 weeks to go, thanks. Her sister just had a baby, too so I feel like she should have known better! 
  • @abbykwail I had a similar situation today. Walked into a packed first of the year meeting at my company (that I’m relatively new at), and as soon as I entered one of the ladies loudly exclaimed “whoa, you’re pregnant, like really pregnant”. I wasn’t pissed only because she seemed genuinely shocked, like I had transformed to 3rd trimester pregnancy right before her eyes 😂.
  • @navete right?? I met this patient through an event I was working back in September, she was staff too and I specifically asked for extra help because of pregnancy, so it's not like it was a surprise!! 
  • I’m at my prenatal appointment right now and the receptionist asked me when I’m due. I told her March 1 and she goes “Oh My god, your belly is so big. Was it like that with your first?”

Seriously lady??? Normally this stuff doesn’t bother me, but I wanted to punch her.
  • @chocolatelemons How rude! You'd think working in an OB office they'd know better than to say such things. 
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @mayoduck You just made me LOL! If you ever say that, please record it!  :D
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• I was dropping my dog off at daycare this morning and a dude asked if I was pregnant (first faux paux) and when the baby is due, and when I said 8 weeks he goes 'that's a big baby!! Some girls stay so small but it really is a beautiful thing to have a big baby!!' and I was like..... Wtf
  • edited January 2019
    @abbykwail I love how everyone thinks they know everything. 

• @chocolatelemons especially when they have never had a baby! 
  • So my Uncle who I talk to maybe twice a year calls to check on me. Very sweet until he asks me, "So how much weight have you gained?" ....I can't even remember my exact response! 
  • @purplepirate09 I have been asked that same question by my mom, my SIL (also pregnant and due 5 days after me), my brother, and a friend. I would NEVER ask someone that.
  • @blueberry0326 Asking to be induced so baby can arrive on their schedule? Wow! That's crazy!

My in-laws planned a multi-month vacation around the time my baby is due (planned before we'd told them I was pregnant) and they changed their vacation schedule so they'll be home right before the baby's due date and are always telling me to make sure the baby is *not* early. 1. Nothing I can do there. And 2. Who says we're welcoming visitors immediately after the baby is born?
  • @blueberry0326 My MIL did the same thing to us when we had DD1. She decided to still go on her yearly Florida trip well aware she could miss the birth of her first grandchild. She told me to hold the baby in. She’s lucky she was back in time because I was almost induced for hbp while she was gone. We have a similar situation this time but it’s not my problem. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Ugh, that's right up there with people asking for baby to be born on their birthday's!  Like we have any control. lol 

Luckily, my MIL and SIL are coming 3 1/2 weeks after due date. But I have friends trying to make plans to visit also and I wanna tell them..."hello, I have no control over any of this"! Sadly, I'd be happy if most waited til Summer so I can be 1/2 human and have a routine down.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• My cousin had her baby this weekend, and there was the inevitable group text thread while we all waitied for news. My aunt, who never had children, and her husband kept talking about how it was taking too long (mind you FTM, and she was born about 16 hours after waters broke) and that they were going to have to get the calf pullers, etc. And that maybe the baby was too big and needed to be pulled out. I was so mortified. I told my dad that his family better not talk about me that way and that anyone who has not birthed a baby better not make judgments about how momma is doing!!!!

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

[/spoiler]

• @blueberry0326 WTAF. I can’t believe anyone would seriously ask that. My doctor would laugh in my face if I suggested induction for a reason like that :D

SaveSave
  • @blueberry0326 My best friend claims she was induced because the doctor asked her if there were any concerns and she replied "yeah it would be nice to have this baby on X day because my husband isn't on shift for the fire department" and the doctor replied "we can make that happen"

To this day I don't believe that's what actually happened. Or maybe it's just because I've never heard of a doctor giving in so easily when someone says they'd like to have baby on a certain date. I know she had some blood pressure and swelling issues and I think that's more the reason but she was embarrassed to say. She was in labor a long time as though her body wasn't at all ready to have a baby and she ended up having a c-section. 
  • @HoneyBear40 my sister asked to be induced on her due date to make sure she had ample time to lose weight for her wedding. I couldn't believe her doctor agreed to it (my OB won't induce unless there's a medical reason or you're 41 weeks)!  She also ended up with a c-section!
  • @dtspmama That's crazy! Of course towards the end of my first pregnancy when they asked about questions I'd sarcastically say "yeah, can you tell me when this kid is coming?" but induction was not discussed until I was over 40 weeks and I was induced at 41 weeks.
  • @3rdtime_charmed Omg I'd be horrified as you are if someone said those things! Hopefully your dad will nip it in the butt if something is ever said knowing how you feel.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• I literally was completely shocked when she asked!!! There is no way I would ask to be induced for such a stupid reason!! If it was medically necessary, then yea I’d be ok with induction but not because my ILs made stupid travel plans!!!