August 2019 Moms

Ask a STM week of 1/7-1/13

Re: Ask a STM week of 1/7-1/13

• Can I ask a STM, if I am a STM?

Any good YouTube or App recommendations for workouts geared specifically to pregnant woman?

By the time DS#2 came around I was so large and uncomfortable that I want to try and be more fit this pregnancy. But the most exercise I typically get is a 40 minute walk 2-3 times a week, so I need something pretty low-key.
  • @mrosek91 I'm so glad that you asked that question because I have the same question! My ass seriously needs some exercise help. I was not in shape prior to pregnancy. 
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

How I feel all of the time.
    My 7 Year Journey ***Tw in spoiler***
    IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    FET #1 - October 2018; cancelled, all PGS aneuploid
    FET #1 - November 30th, transferred anyway
    Wondfo BFP 5dp5dt, CB Digi 6dpt, 
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

TTC #1 since 2011. Tried for 5 years before we knew there was a one year rule.
    Diag w/MS 2016; w/PCOS & IF 2017
    New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI
    IUI #1 July 2017 w/100mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #2 October 2017 w/50mg Clo+trigger; BFN; benched w/big cysts
    IUI #3 February 2018 w/5mg Femara+trigger; low P
    BFP February; mc March; Subclinical hypothyroid started Levothyroxine 
    IUI #4 March 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Medicated cycle & TI April 2018 w/7.5mg Femara+trigger; BFN
    Tried several cycles on our own; all BFN

• Loading the player...
  • I do not have any specific recs. Just make sure whatever you pick meets your doctor's limitations. Generally it's along the lines of nothing more intense than you were already doing. Also there is a point when you get limited on abdominals too (somewhat obviously there). I do know there are some good DVDs though - I have a prenatal yoga and workout DVD from last time that I'll be pulling out when the nausea passes!
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @WinchestGirl What's the name of the DVD?
    People think we become mothers when we give birth but the truth is we become mothers the moment we start calling our babies to us in our thoughts, dreams and prayers. Some paths are short and some are so long that you can easily forget where you were headed.

IVF
    IVF #1 - September 2018; Follistim, Menopur, Cetrotide & Lupron/HCG combo trigger; PGS; ICSI
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

New RE 2018; PCOS diagnosis taken away, IF due to ovary adhesions, but prev. RE insists PCOS IF

IUI

• @suzycupcake "Prenatal Sculpt" & "Fit Mommy to be's Prenatal Yoga". 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • @mrosek91 I wasn't in a good workout routine before I got pregnant with my daughter so I just walked every day that I could anywhere from 15-60 minutes. It really did help me keep in decent shape and keep my weight gain under control as I binged on cake for breakfast and ice cream.  I'd talk to your doctor about starting anything new, I was advised pregnancy was not the time to do so. 
  • It can’t just be that pregnancy means you cannot start something new. It has to be that lunges, squats, kegels, and pelvic floor exercises...stretching every day, something along those lines are okay to do. Women who didn’t really exercise have to do something to prepare for labor and childbirth. 

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake My doctor said that light exercising was ok, even starting something new. I should just be sure to listen to my body and not push myself.
    I have heard other places (I think including a TB article) not to start something new, but I trust my doctor.
  • @mrosek91 YGPM

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• In my doctor's notes it says exercising is ok, even starting something new. Just don't exhaust yourself.
  • My input on exercise- my first pregnancy I didn't exercise because I was scared I would "over do it" I did roller blade though. My ob and I have discussed it again this go round and he says there are far more benefits than cons to exercising while pregnant. My first labor was absolutely awful because I had no muscle strength. 
    The general rule of thumb (unless you have a medical reason otherwise) is that if you can hold a conversation while working out its fine. 

Someone tried to stop me from lifting a box ( maybe 10 lbs) the other day. Then I reminded them I weight lift, and that I'm pregnant, not handicapped. 
  • aukeevaukeev member
    edited January 2019
    I wasn't necessarily "in shape" before pregnancy, but we're pretty active so I get a lot of secondary exercise (walking, stretching, lifting, etc.). Definitely no cardio. That's for other people. 

My office has two "fitness breaks" during the day for 15 minutes each, and I'm planning on just actually taking advantage of both of those each day. Then when we get home, DH and I are walking our neighborhood (~1-2 miles) most nights. I'm also adding in some prenatal stretching and squats, as well as a low-intensity arm workout (babies are dang heavy!!). I haven't yet talked to my OB about this plan, but I highly doubt he'll have an issue with it. My understanding has always been that the "don't start something new" during pregnancy rule has been for more intense things like cardio workouts and real strength training. 
  • Any STM+ in a wedding during your previous pregnancies? I have one in a few months and I'm ordering the dress tomorrow. They don't offer maternity sizes. I'll be around 19 weeks at that time. I'm hoping to find a empire waist since we can choose the dress, but it needs to be a specific color/fabric and the bride has some requirements for style, so my choices are limited. Any suggestions? I really have no idea as to how much of a bump I'll have at that time. 

As for the exercise conversation, my RE told me I can do what I was doing before, but to "tone it down a bit." 

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• @Avrilmai, I'm not an STM, but I'll be in a wedding at 30 weeks. I ordered the dress 4 sizes larger than what I am currently, and I plan to have it taken in and customized with elastic at the waist (the bodice is fitted) a month before the big day. A pic of the dress is below: 

• @Avrilmai I was pregnant for both my sister's and my brother-in-law's weddings. ~5 months for each. I carried small both times, and wasn't really showing, but I needed to plan as if I would. For my sister, (my first pregnancy) I just ordered a empire waist gown from Lord and Tailor. For my brother-in-law since it was going to be the second pregnancy, and I was going to be a little further along, I expected I would be showing more. So I ordered a gown from https://www.pinkblushmaternity.com/. I was very happy with it. I went with empire waist again, and it was very flattering, and reasonably priced. Since it was empire it showed off my almost non-existent bump perfectly, but I felt confident in the months leading up to the wedding it would fit no mater how much I grew.
  • @avrilmai I have been pregnant  but not in a wedding, so I probably have 0 idea what I'm talking about. Depending on the style of dress you may not need to order much bigger really at 19 weeks.  Unless you are trying to not show that you are pregnant.  Maybe choose a dress that is flowing so your belly has room. 

Me 32 <3 H 33
    TTC#1 January 2016  BFP 5/16/2016  DD Born 1/27/17

TFAS: BFP 11/26/2018 Estimated due date: 8/2/2019

• cato99cato99 member
    edited January 2019
    @deecherise that is SO pretty! I love the color! And that lace! 

@Avrilmai everybody’s body is different of course but my general sense is that an empire-waist dress pretty much in your current size (maybe size up one just in case) should do the trick. At that stage you’ll likely have a little bump that to you will seem HUGE and NOTICEABLE and SO MUCH VERY PREGNANT (speaking from personal experience lol) but in reality is easily accommodated with a little extra room. So don’t be afraid to order from whatever store all the other bridesmaids are ordering from!
  • How much time do you actually spend in the nursery that you make? If you plan to use a next to your bed co-sleeper for a bit to make things easier on yourself at the beginning, do you just know when it’s time to go to the nursery?

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake I spent a ton of time in the nursery. We had a lot of family and friends Over and for the first two weeks we were having problems with getting LO to latch. I had my pump set up in LOs room and would pump about 30 min at a time to bring in my supply. We fed her with a syringe until she latched, and then I would go in there to BF her if we had company. We also changed most diapers in there. This time around though we are in a larger house and I think while I may still pump in LOs room, I’ll have to have another diaper station set up, so no idea how much time I’ll end up in there this time. 

• @suzycupcake I barely set foot in the nursery for the first few months, just to change her clothes/grab supplies like swaddle blankets (we had two other baby changing stations, in our bedroom and the living room, so we didn’t even change her diaper there). It’ll happen organically that you’ll start using it more—like when baby is more alert you may go in there to play or do tummy time, and you’ll decide when to transition sleep to the nursery depending on how well or badly baby is sleeping, your thoughts on sleep training, etc.

So on the one hand I clearly didn’t need to have the nursery all flawlessly put together before baby arrived (so don’t push yourself throughout pregnancy to get it perfect if you’re short on time) but on the other hand, once baby arrives it’s a bit harder to organize and decorate, so overall it’s a good idea to have most of the nursery in place (and it satisfies that nesting instinct!)
  • I used both nurseries all the time. Both babies slept in our room the first 4-6 months but I would rock the baby in the nursery most of the time, do feedings in there a lot, and naps. Plus it was just peaceful in there so I'd use it as my getaway sometimes. 
    DD1 5/23/14, DD2 12/5/16   Baby #3 on the way!

• We moved both of our babes from our room to their nursery at the 4-5 month range. That’s when the risk of sids goes down and I needed some personal space back in my life so the timing was good. However, if you make the incredibly smart investment of buying an amazing rocker/recliner for the nursery (not a place to skimp!) you may find yourself using it more. Even though mine slept in our room at night I was in there a ton during the day to breastfeed and nap (because they love to nap on momma and you will need your rest too). Of course everyone is different but I agree if the nursery is not finished before baby arrives it’s no big deal. To be fair - they won’t notice if they have a cute room for years!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @suzycupcake we co-slept( we still do lol) with dd. She had a bassinet in our room, but her room was fully set up. We used it all the time. That's where we had a changing station at up, kept all her toys and matts. I had a rocking chair in her room. 

With the new baby we'll do a similar set up. Hopefully dd will be in her own bed by then haha 
  • I can’t tag, but I was in a wedding at 38 weeks pregnant. I bought the dress two sizes big and ordered extra fabric just in case and that shit needed to be taken in A LOT. It was an empire waist lace dress and I was super comfortable all night. 1 size up should be plenty.

For our nurseries, we used them a lot. We keep the changing table in there and I would do tummy time in the nursery. It also felt like a calm place to breastfeed if it wasn’t a nap time. It just depends! Both boys were in our room sleeping for about 5-6 months. 
  • @suzycupcake I think I might be the odd one on this but we never had a nursery. Each of my boys slept with us for quite awhile and we never did a changing table or station. I change my boys on the floor or bed or couch or with them standing up lol. It’s fun to create a space and decorate but once you have the baby you realize that a lot of those things aren’t really necessary and some stuff is just a money pit. Don’t stress over it BUT if it will make you happy to set a nursery up then totally go for it. To each their own.
  • @suzycupcake DS slept in his crib in our room until 4 months old.  Then we moved his crib to his room. Before that,  I would do all night time feedings in the glider in his room (he was a happy spitter....no way was he coming in our bed lol) and we did day and night diaper changes in the nursery too. You can really do as much or as little as you want in the nursery.  We are all one level,  but I know some people who have to climb the stairs to the nursery keep a change station on the main floor for convenience too.

We visited my parents place and they had a crib set up for him in another room next door to us.  They said it was fine to move the crib into our room,  but it was so close and I felt crazy to do that so we kept him in there for 2 weeks and it was fine so we made the move when we got home. Idk how long we would have kept him in our room if we hadn't made that trip at that time. 

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• So we might be on the extreme end of the spectrum in 2 ways.
    Baby does not sleep in our room. We had our first in our room for 6 weeks until I went back from maternity leave. With #2 he spent the first week and a half in my mom's room (or my mom was in his room depending on how you look at it). She was visiting to help out in the beginning, and when she left I planned on moving him into our room. That lasted 2 days. I woke up with every noise he made, and even if he was just fussy, and went right back to sleep it took me forever to fall asleep again. DH was like you will hear him, he's just across the hall, why are you doing this to yourself, and so out he went again.
    As for nursery, both our boys started out in the room that doubled as our guest room, so we didn't do much in way of decoration, or spending time. I don't remember if I heard this somewhere, or it's my own crazy idea but I think that if I make the room dedicated to sleeping it will encourage good sleep habits. So I did middle of the  night nursing in the room (on the guest bed) and changed diapers. Besides for that the only activity was sleeping. We also have a diaper changing station in the family room, so we just use which ever is more convenient at the moment.
    With DS#1 we were in a rental apartment and knew we wanted to move soon. With DS#2 we knew we were moving him into DS#1's room as soon as he was sleeping through the night. That means this time will be the first time the baby will start in their permanent room. Not sure how that will affect our choices, but I'm guessing not much.
  • @suzycupcake I feel like how much time you spend in the nursery can vary SO much from kid to kid and mom to mom and house to house. We planned on keeping DD in the bassinet in our room for 4-6 months...and I kicked her down the hall at 8 weeks. Lol. But she was sleeping through the night by then, which we weren’t expecting to happen so soon. Before she became too mobile I played with her and did tummy time with her and nursed her in the nursery...so we got a decent amount of use out of the room. Once she started crawling and walking, we stopped spending as much time there. BUT - our nursery is upstairs, and gated off from her most of the time. If it was on the main level, and not too far from the kitchen / living room so I could easily hear her and check on her - we would probably use it for playing a lot more. So it depends on your house layout too.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Anyone here have Sjogrens?
  • We are trying to find and purchase a really comfortable nursing chair. We've looked at gliders and chairs with ottomans. Does anyone have specific recommendations? Not firm like IKEA seating because my back cannot take it.

IVF
    Back on Levothyroxine
    1st Beta on 7dpt 93
    2nd Beta on 10dpt 510!

IUI

• @suzycupcake Someone gave us a recliner and we used that. It's a ton more comfortable than our glider. 
  • olivemommaolivemomma member
    edited January 2019
    @suzycupcake I personally think a recline is essential as is some type of foot rest. I would even splurge for one that maybe can Be remotely operated so the recline will actually stay down and you aren’t blindly fumbling around the side of the chair for the lever to pop the foot rest up with a nursing or sleeping baby on you. We got our first one from this boutique baby shop and I believe the brand was BEST baby chairs - so comfortable. Pottery barn kids also has some nice ones, pricey but worth it.
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • @suzycupcake we have a lazyboy rocking recliner. Seriously best decision we ever made. Super comfy. And since it reclines it's really nice for those late nights when baby might be sick and you end up dozing off in the chair.
  • @suzycupcake we got the Tryp by Best Chairs and love it. It's a rocker/recliner.

To @olivemomma's point it specifically has the lever on the inside of one of the arms so that it's easy to get to if you're holding/nursing a baby.

• @suzycupcake We bought this recliner when my 2 year old was born on Amazon and it still works great! It rocks, turns side to side, and reclines. So comfortable, and I used it all the time for nursing! It comes in different colors too.