September 2019 Moms

Product Spotlight Series: Vitamins! 1/11

Our very first Product Spotlight! Going with something "non-registry" to start us off. See my recent post on the Board Organization thread for more. 

This is a place for FTMs to ask questions and S+TMs to share the wealth of knowledge they've accumulated on baby/pregnancy-related products. Each week we'll spotlight a new category of product. Feel free to comment on these threads throughout your time at the board, not just during its week in the spotlight, if you discover something new/are new to the board. This week we're talking.... Vitamins!

You can use the prompts below to try to share as much relevant info as you can in a format that is easy for those reading to absorb/respond to. 

For all...

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? (pictures/screen grabs of boxes, esp. if put in spoilers, are welcome!)
  • What about that brand drew you to it?
  • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch?
  • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why?
  • Anything else vitamin related to add?

For STM/STM+...

• Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies?
  • Why/why not?
To  view the upcoming PSS schedule, see here: S19 PSS Spreadsheet!
To make a suggestion for any changes to the format of the PSS, please respond to my recent post on the Board Organization thread.
Big thanks to the January 2019 BMB I stole this from.

Re: Product Spotlight Series: Vitamins! 1/11

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Rainbow Light Prenatal One
    • What about that brand drew you to it? I did a bunch of research (aka googled "best prenatal vitamins" a hundred times and read a million Amazon/Target reviews), and these kept popping up. I like that they're gluten free and have probiotics, which should help to counteract the inevitable pregnancy constipation.
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? I took Vitafusion Prenatal gummy vitamins while TTGP - man, those things are SO YUMMY! I switched to the Rainbow Light as soon as I got my BFP because I needed a "real" prenatal with iron (and I don't want to take multiple prenatals if I can help it)
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? None, but I'm curious as to what others recommend
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? Just a reminder to not take Tums too close to taking your prenatal (to get the full prenatal goodness)!
  • @cammie0526 I'm interested in the multi you're taking since it comes with a probiotic--though there are certain strains of probiotic in the specific one I take that are good for me. I'll check yours out though! Thanks for sharing!

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? (pictures/screen grabs of boxes, esp. if put in spoilers, are welcome!) I am taking One A Day Women's Prenatal 1 (pic of box in spoiler)
    • What about that brand drew you to it? I had no idea which to pick when we started TTGP, but this one advertises that it has Folic Acid, DHA, & Iron, boldly on the packaging (see spoiler for pic!) So I chose this one since many of the others whose nutritional facts I read labels for didn't have those things.
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? No switch--yet! Looking forward to seeing what everyone's choices are & considering, since I basically chose this one at random? I also don't eat a lot of meat, so I'm going to ask my OB if I should look for one w/ something additional (rather than adding an additional vitamin) because of that.
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? I take a Garden of Life Women's Daily Care Probiotic every day, in addition. I sometimes take a potassium supplement since my multi doesn't have any potassium, and it's something I know I need more of. I might start taking the potassium every day.
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? My Mom is worried about my calcium, and my multi only has 15% daily recc. calcium, but I'm pretty sure that's because too much calcium makes it hard for the other vitamins to be absorbed. 
  • Loading the player...
    • What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? -One a day Prenatal 1. Same as @kagesstarshroom
    • What about that brand drew you to it?-They were recommended by my OB with my last pregnancy.
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? None
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why?-I'm also on VitD supplements(Natures Truth D3 2000iu), because my RE tested me and I was borderline low. I've been on them since before my IUI. And he recommended I keep taking them.
    • Anything else vitamin related to add?I'm curious how my vitD looks now that I've been supplementing for a month or so. I'm thinking when I see my RE again asking about getting retested. 
    • Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies?-Yes same brand. But with my last pregnancy it was the kind that had two pills, this time and for the last few months leading up to my IUI I've been taking just the 1 pill. The pill is a little bigger but I like it better than taking two pills.
    • Why/why not?-I haven't had any issues with them last time so didn't see a reason to switch. I've been buying the 90 day supply on Amazon.

TTC#1 - March 2013

BFP 8/9/13 - EDD 4/14/14 - DS born 4/23/14

TTC#2 November 2015

Dx: Secondary IF June 2016

Medicated IUI cycle#1- Clomid+IUI -1/15/17 -BFN

Break Mid 2017 - Resumed TTC December 2018

"She believed she could so she did..."

Medicated IUI cycle#2- Femara 5mg+IUI 12/22/18 - BFP 1/4/19 - MMC 2/1/19

Saline Sono 3/15/19 - All Clear!

Medicated IUI cycle#3- Femara 7.5mg+IUI 3/28/19-BFN

Medicated IUI cycle#4- Femara 5mg+Gonal F 50iu+IUI 4/27/19- BFP 5/11/19 - MMC 6/12/19 - D&C 6/14/19-

Incomplete M/C Repeat D&C - 7/3/19 -Testing concluded baby was genetically normal  :'(

Dx: Unexplained RPL July 2019 - Tested + as carrier for Usher Syndrome & Familial Mediterranean Fever 

Saline Sono 8/7/19 - Mostly Clear! All systems go for IVF#1 

But will need a repeat Saline Sono between ER and FET

IVF #1 - Antagonist Protocol - 8/17/19

ER#1 8/27/19 - 12R, 6F, 4 biopsied+frozen! (3d5blasts + 1d6blast)- 2 PGS normal embabies!

Saline Sono 9/13/19 - All Clear! Onto FET Prep#1

FET#1 - 4AA -10/4/19 - BFP 10/14/19 - EDD - 6/21/20 -Beta#1-10dp5dt- 379 Beta#2-12dp5dt- 1007 Beta#3-14dp5dt- 2844

DD born 6/15/20  <3

• @cammie0526 I take the same kind! I got the mini pills- so I take 3 instead of one but worth it for someone who dreads the horse pills .

It has been easy to take and no stomach issues so far. Definitely recommend. 

I got mine on sale at Sprout's. If you have one of those nearby, I would check it out. Cheaper than Amazon!
    • What brand prenatal vitamins do you take?   Smarty pants prenatal

• What about that brand drew you to it?   The vitamin brand uses folate instead of folic acid, and I prefer gummies!
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? Iron and fish oil when I can stomach it

• Anything else vitamin related to add? I found out that I have a double MTHFR gene mutation, and that it is somewhat common. Those with this mutation need folate instead of man made folic acid
    @kagesstarshroom Skincare would be a good one to add! I definitely found useful face and belly products that I’m happy to share!
    • What brand of prenatal vitamins do you take? up&up or vitafusion prenatal gummy vitamins
    • What about the brand drew you to it? These are just what's convenient for me to pick up while doing other shopping (and were the brands of regular multi I took before we started TTGP) - I switch between the brands depending what’s easiest to get my hands on when I’m running low.
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? No other brands, though will be going back to the pill form (from the same two brands), discussed more below.
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? No, though every year or two I try and add a calcium/D supplement to the mix and hardly ever remember to take it. Not being able to take it at the same time as my multivitamin makes it so hard for me to remember!
    • Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? Yep! During my first pregnancy I switched between these same brands in pill form rather than as gummy vitamins - after about 15 weeks I started taking gummies about half the time at the suggestion of my OB because my iron levels were fine and I was having problems with constipation. After my son was born I kept taking the gummy version and so that's what I have on hand now. I'm going to have to get more this weekend and will get them in pill form again, since I don't want to make assumptions about my iron levels!

• I'm taking Nature Made Prenatals plus DHA. I took up&up gummies with my previous pregnancies but always ended up needing an additional iron supplement since gummies don't have iron. This time I decided to go with a vitamin that had everything so it's one pill to take. I also liked the price point on them. Advice for Target shoppers: They are MUCH cheaper if you buy online than in store.
    • What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Nature Made with DHA
    • What about that brand drew you to it? It was what I took when I was pregnant with DS
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? I bought them at Costco right before we started TTC this cycle and I liked that they were cheaper and worked well in the past so I thought "why not?".
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? Nothing right now, but I have Iron at the ready since I needed it when I was pregnant with DS.
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? Nah
    • Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? For my first one yes, *TW* My second pregnancy that ended in a MC I used VitaFusion gummies. I didn't enjoy chewing them and they always left a weird taste in my mouth. Maybe I am also slightly superstitious *End TW*
    *TW*
    Me: 32 │ DH: 35 
    Married 8/16/13
    BFP#1 DS 11/13/16
    BFP# 2 MMC dx @ 13w 10/30/18
    BFP# 3 Preemie DD born at 38w (IUGR) on 8/28/19 weighing 5.5lbs. Our little miracle  <3

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Rainbow Light Prenatal One, same as @cammie6549. And also the same I took while pregnant with my son. 
    • What about that brand drew you to it? I did a lot of research with my first pregnancy. I liked that they were "natural" and just like values of the company in general. The good reviews and included probiotic also a plus.
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? Just these!
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? I take a fish oil occasionally but not with enough regularity that its probably doing any good at all.
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? I've gotten in the habit of taking my prenatal at night because it makes me nauseous otherwise. These are pretty large pills, but I have texture issues with gummies in general so... compromises haha.

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? NatureMade Prenatal Multi
    • What about that brand drew you to it? Popular on Amazon. Lol
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? None
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why?-I take vitamin D because I live in the land of no sun(Michigan) and have trouble with SAD. Also take fish oil, vitamin C for the immune boost while working in a hospital and a B complex that claims to boost metabolism. Will probably stop taking that 
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? Nah
    • Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? No, I used to take the Target brand Up&Up
    • Why/why not? They closed my Target  😭 and Amazon was easiest to use to get more. 

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? One a day prenatal + Dha 
    • What about that brand drew you to it? I like that it was 2 separate pills because it makes me feel like I'm doing more (eventhough I'm not haha) and I've always taken 2 pill prenatals in my other pregnancies 
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch?I finished off my citranatals from last pregnancy first. Those were rx and I don't have refils nor have I been prescribed any this pregnancy, so that's why I switched to otc.
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why?nope
    • Anything else vitamin related to add?my doctor told me there's really no difference between otc prenatals and rx prenatals. I thought that was interesting. 
    • Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies?Nope. No particular reason. 
    October 2017 May siggy challenge - Parenting fails

DS-02/25/16
    Pregnancy #2-Due 8/24/17 MMC-01/09/17
    DD-Due 10/24/17
    Pregnancy Ticker

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Up&Up Target brand! 
    • What about that brand drew you to it?   Cheap & easy to throw into my target order online!
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch?  None
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why?  Before I found out I was pregnant I always took a probiotic, vitamin C & b12 for energy.  I just continued to take these in the morning and take my pre-natals at night.
    • Anything else vitamin related to add?  Anybody have any symptoms or reactions from any specific vitamins?  Just want to avoid anything that could be harmful!
  • keikilovekeikilove member
    edited January 2019
    What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Rainbow Light & Nordic Naturals Prenatal DHA/Fish Oil.

What about that brand drew you to it? My mom (a midwife) recommended them.  So did my General Practitioner, because these brands are known for using food-based vitamins & minerals, making them much more easily absorbed by the body than synthetic man-made vitamins (a.k.a. most mainstream brands).

What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? Tried the SmartyPants Gummies because they have folate, but they are way too sweet. (I also have a mental block against believing gummies can really contain all this good stuff lol.)

Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? I always take MegaFoods BloodBuilder iron tablets for low iron levels. During pregnancy I add Floradix liquid iron because my levels get so low.  None of these or the Rainbow Light prenatal cause stomach upset or constipation.  The extra iron helps with my frequent dizziness in pregnancy.

Anything else vitamin related to add? I'm still taking my "fertility vitamins" because I've read that they keep cells functioning at high levels and can prevent miscarriage: Vitex, CoQ10/Ubiquinol, and NAC. Also taking a baby aspirin per day for same reason.  Hoping to meet with a naturopathic doctor soon so she can tell me when/if to taper off of these fertility supplements.

For STM/STM+...

Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? I took Rainbow Light that helped me have two genius children hahaha.  Unfortunately, it has half folic acid/half folate. I need to find a new one I love that has Folate only—instead of man-made folic acid due to my (very common) MTHFR gene mutation.

Why/why not? Need one with Folate so my body can process it. *Now debating between Thorne Prenatals, Vitamin Code, Seeking Health, MamaBird, MegaFoods Baby & Me2...Any input on these would be much appreciated, TIA!

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Vitafusion Prenatal gummy
    • What about that brand drew you to it? Gummy, good reviews (I'll explain more below)
    • What other brands of prenatals, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch? None this pregnancy
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? Probiotic gummy per my OB and hair, skin, nails, which I can probably stop, haha 
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? The biggest thing for me is finding one I know I'll take regularly. I also get iron tabs from my OB in addition to the prenatal.
    • Are you taking the same vitamins you have w/ previous pregnancies? Last time I took a different gummy or what my OB gave me. I had a hard time taking what she gave me though, whereas a gummy is like a treat for me. This time i'll try the OB kind again once I get it and we'll see.
    Married 6/5/14 in Ireland
    1st Baby 5/12/17, Henry
  • graciehippo19graciehippo19 member
    edited January 2019
    • What brand prenatal vitamins do you take?: Thorne Prenatal and Innate Prenatal depending on the day
    • What about that brand drew you to it?: Experts I trust recommended them (Liz Wolfe and Rhonda Patrick)
    • What other brands of prenatal, if any, did you take this pregnancy before you switched to these? & why the switch?: I alternate these depending on how much Vitamin A I have. The Thorne one is much higher in pre-formed Vitamin A so if I am taking cod liver oil that day or eating liver that week I take the innate one. @keikilove I know Rhonda Patrick took the Thorne prenatal her entire pregnancy and she is the most careful scientific person I know of! The only reason I don’t take it all the time is that since I’ve been paleo a while I do eat liver on a semi regular basis and I’m a little worried about having too much vitamin A. I’m planning on asking my dr to test my levels.
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatal/why?:  Choline on days I take the Thorne prenatal as the Thorne one does not have it- and Nordic natural fish oil on days I don’t consume any fish - sometimes a probiotic but I try to eat fermented foods every day. 
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? : Make sure it has Folate instead of Folic acid seems to be the recommendation I hear most often! 
  • janat1717janat1717 member
    edited January 2019
    @graciehippo19 I take FCLO, eat ferments and liver too. Well I've been doing DHA over the FCLO more because I was concerned on the Vitamin A too. Thorne was my other choice for prenatal.

• What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Orthomolecular
    • What about that brand drew you to it? My functional Dr. recommended it.
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? I take extra Magnesium, Vitamin C, and iodine. Probiotics. I do K2 since the prenatal doesn't have K.
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? I actually didn't do a prenatal with DS. Just some individual vitamins and a pretty strict eating plan. That wasn't happening this time 😂
    • What brand prenatal vitamins do you take? Just changed to Rainbow Light Prenatal one + DHA
    • What about that brand drew you to it? I was taking Garden of Life Vitamin Code Raw Prenatal but was buying them on Amazon and got paranoid they were counterfeit... Target has free shipping, carries Rainbow Light, and product gets good reviews. 
    • Any other vitamins you are taking in addition to prenatals/why? No. I'm enjoying reading what other women are taking. 
    • Anything else vitamin related to add? Nope, I'm not an expert on this topic and open ears.