March 2019 Moms

Favorite baby names

Re: Favorite baby names

• We also are really struggling with names. I’m constantly throwing out names but my DH and I just don’t like the same kinda of names. We have a name that we are both ok with but I keep feeling like we should really love the name. I think I may be putting too much into it...I know a lot of people who have named their babies something I didn’t like and now I love the names because of how cute the kids are. I’m thinking maybe I should be ok with the one name that we both are ok with. I was hoping to have a backup name or two so I could see the baby before naming her but I dunno if that’s gonna happen.
  • Thanks for all the feedback ladies! From the start I had determined I wanted to hold off on naming baby until I see him, but, as with many other things it seems, the closer I get to my due date, the more I am doubting and fretting about the decions I’ve made or things I’ve done/not done. It’s so reassuring to know I’m not the only one with a nameless little babe! Now I can let go of that worry and focus on another one, lol.
  • Loading the player...
  • @meggyme they have changed it here more recently. My BIL didn’t have a name and they were allowed to take him home before deciding; he was born in the 90’s. From my understanding from my brief stint working in prenatal care, there’s a correlation between infant mortality and unnamed infants, so they decided to change it. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • DH and I have one name picked out.  One name and one name only. No backups and nothing on the short list. We haven’t shared the name with anyone and are very nervous to do so. Like @kristimh80 , the middle name is after a loved one that tragically passed so I’m not worried that people will provide unsolicited negative opinions in that regard. But the first name is not sentimental in any way; DH and I just both love it - so we’re anxious about voicing it only to have people potentially and unintentionally taint it. 
  • @beachbaby0523 once it’s attached to a baby people will find it hard to say anything negative about a name. When it’s still hypothetical people have no filter on their opinions.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • @meggyme very true. Because of that I think we’re going to just share it after she’s born. 
  • @navete We are pretty set on our boy options (Christopher, Patrick, or Sean), but I have waffled sooooooooo much on the girl names (current faves Elena or Lydia). I've changed my mind on our girl names so many times that I'm not sure we'll have a set short list. It may come down to a game time decision.
  • I have friends who were team green and went to the hospital with names already picked out. When they saw their baby girl for the first time, they didn't think the name they had picked suited her and came up with a new name on the spot. Sometimes it takes seeing the baby's face to know the name, I guess.
  • @lucysmom2016 I really like Lydia! DH has a name I really liked (Esther) and then I found Lydia. Now I’m the one undecided. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • We don’t have a name picked out either ... we are down to two names. With DS we had his first name down and his middle name was undecided and then changed at the last minute possible (after discharge at our hospital you are required to come in within 24-48 hours and we changed it then). We announced DS and his name via a picture of him in a hat with his name on it ... I would love to do that again but with us being so undecided on a first name this time I’m worried we won’t have time to order his hat to have in the hospital. 
  • @beachbaby0523 If you love the name you've picked, then go with it. Everyone will alway have their options. Long as you love it...that's the name you need! :) We've already told family...finally decided we didn't care lol
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    2017 - Medicated Cycles & IUI's
    IVF w/ PGS  - January 2018
    FET #1 - April 2018 - BFN
    ERA Cycle May / June 2018
    ERA Biopsy June 2018 ~ Results: receptive (no change)
    FET #2 - July 2018 - BFP <3 Beta #1 - 137 Beta #2 - 410
    U/S #1 7wk1d - HB 144 U/S #2 9w1d HB 166
    Anatomy Scan 1st 11/2/18 2nd AS 11/19
    EDD March 28, 2019
    Baby Girl born 3/26/19  <3

• I think DH and I are both avoiding the topic because it was so contentious with DS.  We finally picked his name at like 37-38 weeks and he came at 39 weeks, so we were down to the wire.  We just could not agree on anything and it was awful.  Now we have to do it all over again for a second boy and I'm dreading it, honestly. 
  • scimommascimomma member
    edited December 2018
    Okay, so my husband and I both really like a name (and it's basically the only name we agree on) but it is extremely uncommon and most people's associations with the name are due to a cartoon character from the 50s though spelled differently (I'll let you try to guess!). My husband is very enthusiastic about it and I like it on so many levels but I feel like the association with the dumb cartoon character might haunt him, even though the name itself is not "weird" and is similar to other common names. At the end of the day, my husband and I were raised on cartoons, have matching Simpsons tattoos, and are pretty goofy in general so it doesn't bother me too much... but I don't want it to end up driving the kid crazy as he grows up just in case he's not as goofy as us. Ugh.

I'm partially venting but also curious if anyone has any thoughts? Or has anyone else chosen a name for a child that people had a strong association with due to pop culture? 

Edit: we did not choose the name because of the cartoon character! I came across it searching for names online and then thought "oh, crap.." once I realized the similarity to the cartoon. 
  • @bug_hunter I'd say go for it. I do not have experience in this though. I'd go with it though if it's a name you both love.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @bug_hunter I think the main thing to watch out for is associations the kid's peers will have with a name since they are more likely to use that to bully them. A cartoon character from the 50s is likely safe in that regard, I think. My maiden name was similar to the surname of an old fictional character and adults would mention it but that was just a mild annoyance to me.
  • scimommascimomma member
    edited December 2018
    @Kenneylynn3 thanks for the encouragement! I'd love to just feel confident with a decision and stop thinking about it. 

@mayoduck that's a good point. Maybe I'll show a picture of the cartoon character to my 9-year old nieces and see if they even know the character's name! 

I have an unusual last name that's a noun and have dealt with dumb comments my whole life and like you said, it's just an annoyance. My husband has a first name which is unisex and a last name which is more commonly used as a woman's first name and he has also gotten annoying comments his whole life. You just learn to roll your eyes.. I guess I am mainly afraid of bullying, but if kids don't know who this character is anymore then you're right, it's not an issue.
  • @bug_hunter I’m going to guess Archer/Archie is the name. We’re naming our DD2 Lucy/Lucille and while I’m sure older generations will associate it with I love Lucy I doubt very much that her peers will have any idea who that is.
  • @bug_hunter I say go with it, esp if it is a name you both really like! Like was just said...I doubt anyone but older folks would really associate it with the 50s. Esp this day and age...where you never see old school cartoons / tv like we did growing up.
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• We intentionally picked names outside of the top 100, and now we are hearing those same names everywhere!!! It’s funny how once you become tuned in to something, it becomes unavoidable.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• @meggyme Nope, not Archie! But that's actually kind of a cute name, even though I associate it more with Archie Bunker than the cartoon haha. And yeah, I can see how older generations would think of I Love Lucy but I guess at least most people really liked Lucille Ball? Unfortunately, the cartoon character I'm talking about is always the butt of the jokes... 

@kristimh80 Yeah, I am definitely going to show my nieces a bunch of photos of old cartoons and see if they know any characters. My sister doesn't have cable and just streams TV shows and I know she isn't throwing on Loony Tunes or anything. I know I used to watch all of the old shows when I was little but maybe TV-watching habits are different enough now where it won't be an issue! 
  • @3rdtime_charmed It’s weird how true that is! My brother named his daughter Juniper and I was so sure I’d go the rest of my life not meeting someone else with that name, but I’ve just seen that name pop up all over the recent BMBs. I guess names don’t really stick out until you have an association with it. I’m assuming you guys are still sticking with your picked names?
  • @bug_hunter I think you're safe as far as your LO's peers are concerned. Adults and baby boomers on the other hand... 
    DD1 dressed up as Rainbow Brite a few years ago for Halloween. Only people from my generation knew who she was. Kids didn't. I suggested it as she is my rainbow baby. DD2 was brand new that year, she was Twink. :) 
    My collie gets called Lassie by older folks all the time. Kids at my DD's school don't know who Lassie is, which is a shame. Those movies are great.

@3rdtime_charmed I think you're right. I only know Taras (and Tylers) my age.

@lucysmom2016 I think your boy names are great. 2 of your chosen 3 are my LOs first and middle name! :) 
  • @Lbloom That's so interesting yet weird to me! I guess having a kid will help keep me in the loop with what the youngins are up to because I obviously don't understand anything about current kid culture haha 
  • @bug_hunter Good idea! Yes, I always think...we didn't have internet til later so watched all good stuff, plus they don't have good Saturday morning cartoons like we grew up on now. All my nieces want to watch is Peppa Pig and things we didn't have. 

@Lbloom Love that you dressed your LO as Rainbow Bright! I bet she was so cute!!

@3rdtime_charmed Cute names! My cousins boy is a Tyler but he's in middle school now. Other than him, I never hear those names for littles anymore either. So you're good :)
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @bug_hunter maybe. The trouble is the internet. There is so much out there, depending on whether you have cable, or which streaming service you use, you may not know what some of the kids stuff out there is. 
  • @navete dd1 is Juniper Harriet (June 17 baby), though we basically call just her June. I thought I had picked a unique enough name, but there was another juniper in her play group whose birthday was 2 days later.

@bug_hunter oh man, now you've got my wheels spinning. Is it Elmer? (Which I love it if it is by the way.)
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • @navete @sejica I think nature names are trending. I know an Aspen, a Birch (Byrch), and an Iris.
  • @sejica We mostly call my niece June as well. Did you pick the name because the nickname coincides with her birth month? I think it’s a super cute name and still consider it unique, despite its seeming trendiness ☺️

@meggyme That would explain why I’m seeing more of the name, although I haven’t come across any other nature names except for Forest, and he’s an adult. I wonder what’s driving the trend.
  • @navete not exactly, but we definitely ran with it. We had a backup name if she came early, everyone asked if it was Mae, lol.
    BabyName Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • jumping in on the name discussion to say @navete you're definitely not alone!
    we were team green last time too and had a name for each...I want to say by this point in the pregnancy? this time I can't get DH to talk names with me. he did once but I didn't feel like we agreed on anything, more like he settled. brought it up to him and he said "I thought you liked ____" told him I do but didn't feel like he was too excited about it like he was with our names the first time around and he says "well it's nice."

So that's where we're at. Ugh.
  • @HoneyBear40 and everyone else in the same boat: Here’s to hoping we have that moment of excitement when we finally choose a name! 🎉 If not in the next 2 months, then when we see our LOs angelic faces 😊❤️

• We intentionally picked names outside of the top 100, and now we are hearing those same names everywhere!!! It’s funny how once you become tuned in to something, it becomes unavoidable.
    I named my first Zion and I thought it was so unique...and the same day i had him, someone else had a baby named Zion too..same hospital wing....it was foreshadowing and i didn't realize it. I know so many Zion's now and i was trying to be unique bc my name is Ashley....epic fail. this time around we have a pretty classic name picked so there may be more, but at this point I am used to it LOL. 
  • So I am looking for some input. My SIL is named Brooke. We have a short list of names for this baby boy, and one of our favorites is Brooks. I think we would have already chosen it, but it’s just so close to her name. Is it weird? 

Btw, we both adore my SIL, and she lives several hundred miles away, so we only see her in person a handful of times a year. 
  • @maggiemadeit I love the name, and if you are okay with it being so close, go for it. I love my sil, and one of the names we chose, we have 4 picked, is Jamison. My sil is named Jamie and her family calls her James at times. Might be to close for some, sometimes it is for me, but I will refuse to call him anything but Jamison. Just a disclaimer, that is not this lo's name if it's a boy. So still lots of time to change our minds.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @maggiemadeit there might be some confusion over the phone amongst family but otherwise I don’t think it’s a problem.
  • @maggiemadeit Love the name Brooks! I say go with it :) Your SIL will probably adore it and won't mind. Bonus is that you like her!
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    June 2016 - CP
    EDD March 28, 2019

• @maggiemadeit I also think you should go for it! Our top girl name is the same as a girl DH's nephew has been seriously dating for years but we would still use the name if we were having a girl and if our next is a girl and this woman marries into our family, we'd probably still use the name.
  • Ditto, no big deal! I am a Katie and have 2 SILs named Katie.  :D
    Me: 30 DH: 31
    Married: 2012
    BFP #1 Sept 2014, MMC Dec 2014 | BFP #2 May 2015, DD Jan 2016 <3 | BFP #3 May 2017, MC July 2017 | BFP #4 Jan 2018, MC Feb 2018 | BFP #5 July 2018, fingers crossed