Baby Names

Sibling names - too close?

hbeach0310hbeach0310 member
edited January 2019 in Baby Names
We are expecting a baby girl. She will be joining big brother Will (full name William but we almost always call him Will). We love the name Lillian (and it’s a family name) nn Lily. But we are nervous Lillian and William are too similar. Soo... we were thinking of naming her just Lily. Our question is do you think Will and Lily work as sibling names?? Or are they too similar? We are really struggling and it’s the only name we can agree on! Please help! Suggestions are welcome. I also feel like when we have a third and you say all three names together... it won’t be an issue. Thoughts?!

Sibling names - too close? 38 votes

Will and Lily are fine
44% 17 votes
Too close
55% 21 votes

Re: Sibling names - too close?

• Either way, they are too similar, imho. Reminds me of the Rugrats twins named Phil and Lil (also Lillian). I suspect regardless of whether you went with Lily or Lillian, there is a good chance at least some family and friends will refer to them as Will and Lil and not necessarily because of Rugrats but just because people love rhymes and have a tendency to shorten names.
  • mayoduck said:
    Either way, they are too similar, imho. Reminds me of the Rugrats twins named Phil and Lil (also Lillian). I suspect regardless of whether you went with Lily or Lillian, there is a good chance at least some family and friends will refer to them as Will and Lil and not necessarily because of Rugrats but just because people love rhymes and have a tendency to shorten names.
    I was thinking of Rugrats also. Too close imo

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • mayoduck said:
    Either way, they are too similar, imho. Reminds me of the Rugrats twins named Phil and Lil (also Lillian). I suspect regardless of whether you went with Lily or Lillian, there is a good chance at least some family and friends will refer to them as Will and Lil and not necessarily because of Rugrats but just because people love rhymes and have a tendency to shorten names.
    I was thinking of Rugrats also. Too close imo

me too!

• Another vote for someone who immediately thought of Rugrats. Too matchy/similar!