June 2019 Moms

FTM Check-In January

Thought it would be fun to start another one of these for January!

Due date/W+D: 

Any appointments? 

Questions?:

Rants/Raves?: 

How are you feeling?: 

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met?

Re: FTM Check-In January

• Due date/W+D: June 3rd/18W + 3

Any appointments? Jan 8th AS then Jan 14th OB appt

Questions?: Any FTMs feeling like it’s kinda surreal to be pregnant? 

Rants/Raves?: Raves - I think MS is mostly behind me and I’m getting that 2nd trimester energy! Well, I still want to go to sleep at like 8:30 pm, but I have more energy during the day. Rants - not really feeling ranty about anything in particular. Everything seems to be going pretty smoothly right now

How are you feeling?: I’m feeling pretty good. Still a little self-conscious about the weight gain. But it’s pretty clear I’m pregnant now, so at least it looks less like I just went crazy over the holidays and more like I’m growing a human in that belly. 

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met? So mine is a little embarrassing ☺️ But I met my husband when I was in HS. So the thing I noticed that for some odd reason just stuck with me was his hands. I loved his hands so much. They felt so good holding and on me. Maybe I was just a horny teenager 😂

• @chrssyms I was just wondering yesterday if one of these threads had been set up yet. Thanks for starting!

Due date/W+D: 6/21, 15+6

Any appointments? Had my OB appointment yesterday, AS is 1/17

Questions?: I have no idea how to look for day care or what even to look for. And of course regulations vary state to state. Anyone know how to start?

Rants/Raves?: RANT: Not thrilled that my toothpaste has been making me gag/vomit. I was lucky to skate through first tri with minimal MS, so this recent development feels a bit like payback. ;-) Hoping my new watermelon toothpaste fixes the issue. RAVE: I bought some maternity clothes while on vacation and I am so much more comfortable. I can tell I have a bump by looking down, but from the front I just look fat, lol.

How are you feeling?: Fine other than the toothpaste issue and so. much. gas. Now that the holidays are over, trying to get my weight gain under control.

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met? Is it bad to say I was attracted to his PhD? We met online and I found him by restricting my search to those with advanced degrees. I do think DH is attractive, but I’m also attracted to his brain. ;-)

• Loading the player...
  • Due date/W+D: 6/7/19: 17+6

Any appointments? 1/11with my OB to chat about the spud and the test results I hope  

Questions?:  anyone else SUPER grossed out by toilets? Not the smell or anything, but the look of them 

Rants/Raves?: DH is still my favorite but home hunting is NOT 

How are you feeling?: Tired and anxious about finances  ugh  

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met?

His eyes. He has these ice blue eyes that I can get lost in (and do daily). 

• @Bababatty I guess the best place to start is to decide if you want to look into a nanny, nanny share or daycare. We knew we wanted to do daycare so we looked at which ones were most convenient and toured them. Then we just picked one. That’s really about how much thought we put into it haha. And I don’t think there’s anything wrong with being attractive to your husbands smarts and accomplishments. I think that’s a pretty normal thing for a lot of people. 

@battleangel haha no I don’t have a problem with toilets. They don’t seem to bother me. Actually nothing in particular regularly bothers me. Also I spent a good portion of my 1st trimester hugging a toilet so maybe I just bonded very deeply with them 😉
  • @chrssyms 😂😂 me and my porcelain throne have been through so much together lately 
  • Due date/W+D: June 23rd / 15+4

Any appointments? My next one is the 9th. I imagine I’ll schedule my AS then as well.

Questions?: Has anyone had much luck with flexibility in scheduling appointments? My OB has been really consistent in scheduling everything exactly four weeks apart and always on a Wednesday. For personal reasons, the Wednesday that my AS will fall on will be a terrible day for me, and I’d really prefer avoiding the whole week for a scan I’m really excited about. I just hope he’ll understand and let me do it at 19 or 21 weeks.

Rants/Raves?: I’m experiencing the worst of all the symptoms right now. Still getting some 1st tri nausea and exhaustion, along with 2nd tri headaches, acid reflux, and sciatic pain. Still waiting for that magical second tri.

How are you feeling?: 

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met? For me, it was the way I felt like I could tell him anything and could be 100% myself with him. I don’t feel that way around many people at all.

• @kjr9519 my doc hasn’t had any issue with working around my schedule (I’m off fridays do prefer to have my appts then), but I had to specifically ask for that. I would just ask if you can move your appt. 
  • Thanks @chrssyms! I think we’re open to most options, so we’ll definitely need to start by narrowing down which one we’re leaning toward. I appreciate the advice!

Also, I thought the hands thing was really cute. I’d never think about it, but there really is something in how another person’s touch makes you feel.

@battleangel Eeek sorry about this newfound aversion! I’m afraid I can’t help either—my only problem with my toilet is that it doesn’t clean itself, lol.

@kjr9519 I was given a two-week range for both of my AS (so my 16 week is actually 17 weeks). I suspect your OB’s office will probably be similarly flexible. I’d lead toward doing it Week 21 if you can’t do it Week 20, but I’m sure the scheduler can help.
  • tkbmamatkbmama member
    edited January 2019
    Due Date: 6/3 18w+4 days

Appointments: Appointment next Monday w/PCP for clogged left ear. Haven't been able to hear out of it for a week now. Level 2 ultrasound scheduled for 1/16. Annoyed bc they just changed the date bc they realized I needed a perinatal ultrasound rather than a normal AS and now DH can't go bc they changed the date.

Questions: Daycare, registry, everything??? FTM feeling overwhelmed and not knowing where to start or when. Planning to do a gender reveal on the 19th but don't know what to do besides reveal the gender haha.

Rants/Raves: None really besides being furloughed now for 2 weeks. Getting a lot of cleaning and reading done.

Feeling: overwhelmed haha. Main issue is my ear, I would like to be able to hear. Also my RLS is getting worse at night, so guess I need to try some baths. Definitely starting to have a little bump, but look fat from the front. Can't wait to just look pregnant.

GTKY: My DH eyes were the first thing that attracted me to him and then his smile. He has the most beautiful blue eyes, they still melt my heart 8 years later. I hope our LO gets both of our blue eyes, but his more than mine.

edited for spelling
  • @kjr9519 I do this at my doctor's but I think it's more for convenience I'm sure you could even ask for a different day that week or one week later/early as you said, don't know why it would be an issue

@chrssyms totally surreal, like i'm not just thinking about little registry items I'm thinking about pediatricians now etc, or now that I'm feeling so much better I almost have to remind myself you're having a baby! Stay on schedule!

Due date/W+D: June 21st - 16 weeks today

Any appointments? Regular OB 4 week check up on the 25th and AS on Feb 1st

Questions?: no questions right now

Rants/Raves?: Also kind of feeling great except for lower back pain but i suspect that will just gradually get worse as i get bigger, i feel like the holidays gave me a bump but now that things are back to normal it just looks like i ate too much again hahah, i really want to walk around with a sign that says I'm pregnant

How are you feeling?: better than I have in a while, lots of energy during the day which has been so so great, but like others here exhausted by 8 pm

Physical - His teeth, he had the straightest whitest teeth and he never had braces but I just remember seeing those big white choppers on our first date hahah

personality - i felt like i got the best of it all in my DH, i dated a lot ok "bad boys" aka losers and DH rode motorcycles and had cool guy effortlessness but also a real job and a car and fucking smart as hell. Damn i love that man.

• BababattyBababatty member
    edited January 2019
    @tkbmama Totally commiserate with the feeling overwhelmed, and wish I could give you advice! I got panicky yesterday when someone on the weekly randoms thread pointed out that we’re almost halfway through pregnancy.  :# For the gender reveal, I think Pinterest could be your friend—or might just overwhelm you more. I’ve never been to one, but I imagine it was being mostly like a dinner party with a cake filled with colored jelly beans or something, haha. TB has some articles about registries that might help you get started.... there’s so much choice out there, though.... I’d start by looking through some of the product spotlight threads we’ve had on here and the breastfeeding thread is full of recommendations for that if you plan to breastfeed. Sorry, I’m not much help! 

ETA I just saw that July 19 has a thread going with registry love/hates from STMs, to help FTMs. Looks very helpful!

@cricket1688 Sorry about the back pain! Would adding more back support to say your work chair or bringing in a maternity pillow to bed help? I think your employer has to provide things like lumbar support if it’s medically necessary but I could be making that up. 

Also, I feel like a lot of “bad boys” underestimate the appeal of an actual job and financial stability in a relationship. Sounds like you got a great package in YH!
  • I feel like I haven’t been active/mainly lurking so I’m going to try to be more involved going forward, wish me luck!

Due date/W+D: June 23rd! 15w5d

Any appointments? Next checkup is Jan24, AS is Feb 13! I can’t wait. 

chrssyms, i feel so weird. 

Rants/Raves?: Two things! One, my Bellaband has been a lifesaver!! I’m trying to hold off on getting maternity pants as long as possible and it’s been wonderful. And it keeps me warm. Two, my baby bump is slowly making an appearance so I feel more “pregnant” now since for about a month now I’ve had little to no symptoms (sorry to those who are still sick!)

How are you feeling?: I have a cold, and I’m going through month/year end at work so I’m slightly miserable with less sleep than preferred and can’t take anything that usually makes me feel better. Netti-pot and a humidifier has helped, though.

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met? Oh boy, that was almost 7 years ago. I remember he was really witty and smart (still is!). 

• Due date/W+D: 6 June/18w3d

Any appointments? Too many to count. Had multiple blood tests today then go back on Tuesday for results, though I’ve been told that one of them won’t be ready for 5 business days and it’s done at a different company than the one that took my bloods so I’ll have to wait and see. If all OK then anatomy scan on the 19th and OB on the 23rd. If not all OK then will have to play it by ear.

Questions?: not really. 

Rants/Raves?: I’m so over being pregnant and in pain. 

How are you feeling?: Shit. Can’t sleep for long because I’m waking up with the hip I’m sleeping on, on fire. If I roll over to my other side it makes it worse. My stomach hurts from the surgical incision they removed my cyst/ovary from and also has a large haematoma underneath it, which I’ve been told could take months to get better. As my tummy grows it’s pulling the wound back open and is currently held together with sterri strips and fixomul tape. It also means I’m struggling to drive around because seatbelts sit right on top of the wound. I didn’t have any MS in my first trimester but it started two weeks ago (hence all the blood tests to find out why) and I am now vomiting on the regular which is only just abated by Zofran. I’m also absolutely exhausted ALL the time. Needless to say I’m not in the best mental state at the moment.

GTKY - what physical or personality trait of your SO did you find most striking or attractive when you met? His beard and piercing blue eyes! 

@chrssyms I think that everything I’m going through is making it feel even more surreal! It’s literally like I’m just going through the motions, taking one day at a time. Nothing feels overly real to me right now. 

@Bababatty I’ve just bought some maternity clothes too and I’m in love! They make my bump look like a bump rather than just fat. Haha. 

• @wiseh I’m so sorry for everything you’re going through. It sounds awful! Do the doctors think your wound will heal okay? Or will your stomach growing make that a long process? Also, I’ll be thinking of you on Tuesday and hoping you get good results back.
  • Yeah @kjr9519 I’ve not heard that it won’t. It’s looking better every time I do a dressing change, just taking sooooo long to heal and be comfortable. It’s been 19 days since the surgery and I’ve never taken so long to recover from anything before! More annoying than anything.

Thank you for your Tuesday well wishes. I’m getting more and more nervous as my symptoms get worse 😞
  • @wiseh I am so sorry that you’re having such a rough time right now! It’s good that your incision is healing but I can’t imagine how painful and really disconcerting it must be to have it not heal as quickly or like you hoped. And then to add on the as yet—but hopefully soon to be!—diagnosed medical issues.... really feeling for you and hoping you get some answers next week and you’re able to start feeling better quickly! Question: would putting something on your lab, like a folded towel, help with the seatbelt issue while you heal?
  • Thanks @Bababatty. I tried putting a foam thing over my belly but it’s more the pressure of the seatbelt than the sharpness of it. Same goes for wearing tight clothing, I can do it for a bit but after a while it really starts to ache. I’m going to try with a towel today because we have a 2 hour drive back to where we live from where we are right now. 
  • @wiseh Ahhhh I see the problem! I hope the towel at least provides some relief on your drive home. You deserve a break!
  • @wiseh just wear a mumu :joy: Sorry, that's not really helpful for a seatbelt though. I doubt there is anyway to keep it a little looser around your waist. The only thing I could thing of is to try and ball up something soft like tshirts and put that at places around you away from your wound. This would help to make you a little wider and maybe loosen the seatbelt a bit and remove pressure from the wound area. Not sure it would work in practice though. Also, why didn't they use any sutures on your wound? 
  • @chrssyms I’m lucky it’s summer and I’ve just been wearing super flowy dresses and it’s been great! Haha. I’ve tried putting a towel over my belly and it seems to be working! Only done a 15 min drive so far but not feeling any pressure across it so fingers crossed it stays that way. 

The surgeon did use stitches but you can only keep them in for 7 days or they get irritated and hinder the healing. When I had them taken out the incision opened back up a little bit closest to my belly button, but not enough to get more stitches.

I’ve put a few pic of it in a spoiler box if you want to see what I mean. I haven’t taken a pic of it since 13 days post op but currently at 19 days post op and it hasn’t changed much. 

9 days post op, 2 days after stitches removal

13 days post op