July 2019 Moms

Nausea & vomitting...what helps?

I am 9 weeks pregnant and am struggling with all day nausea. I throw up once a day but not everyday. The nausea is constant. I haven't taken my prenatal in 3 days because of how bad it has been. I can't eat or drink much either and the things I can tolerate, I find out I'm not supposed to be eating or drinking. It seems that everything is off limit. What helps with nausea and how can I make sure I'm eating enough so that my baby is getting the nutrients he or she needs?

Re: Nausea & vomitting...what helps?

• mizzmegmizzmeg member
    edited December 2018
    I would call your doctor if you’re unable to keep foods down or the nausea has become so much that you cannot eat. I’m now on three medications to keep down water and small amounts of food. It sucks!! Dehydration and lack of nutrients is not good for you. The baby will take what it needs first. 

Basically, call your OB for medicine if you are concerned. 
  • PanaceiaPanaceia member
    edited December 2018
    @hope8119 As someone who has had HG both times now let me reassure you that you are fine and baby will be as well. Unless you are vomiting 4 to 5 tines a day or more then the doctor's won't do anything. You can ask for a prescription for Diclectin (or whatever the counterpart is in the US) and I have heard that vitamin B6 plus unisom help a lot of people. Don't worry about your prenatal. It is actually the first thing the doctors have me stop taking with HG as it makes nausea worse and baby will take what they need from you anyways (I've been off prenatals for a while already...I think I stuck it out until 12+2 this time but my OB had me stop as my weight was trending in the wrong direction). What you do have to do is make sure you are staying hydrated. It is super hard to do. For me ice water that I drink through a straw helps as does boiled  water with some ginger root in it that I sip on throughout the day. It will start to get better at some point but it might not be for a while. Eat what you can when you can but it's the liquids that are the most important. Sorry you're feeling so rotten. If it makes you feel any better I'm right there with you:/

ETA I don't take anything for it so know that it is manageable without meds if you don't want to go the med route...but if your vomiting increases or your weight is still dropping in 3rd tri the doctors will likely force you to start taking it otherwise you could get dehydrated and then would have to be hospitalized. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Talk to your OB if you can not keep food down. Especially if you can’t keep liquids down, dehydration is definitely not something you want during pregnancy.

​ The only thing that ever helped me with nausea during all 3 of my pregnancies was sea bands. They are wrist bands that use pressuretTalk down on he wrist to help with neausea. They are about $8 at the drug store, they don't work for everyone but did for me. 
  • I'm in this too. 10W4d. So far it hasn't been too bad, but the nausea seems to be gaining momentum. I've got diclectin (a pretty expensive drug, actually) and its helping some. But I may try a seaband today. Thanks @key33 for the suggestion. I'm only able eating dry cereal so far today and ginger lemon tea.
  • I also only take my prenatal multivitamin right after a decent size meal is consumed. Like, right after my last bite. When I have forgotten and taken it a half hour or more later then it makes me vomit.
    Good luck all. We will get hopefully be out of this stage soon.   :)
  • My PCP suggested that if you can't keep it down, to take your prenatal at night, before you go to sleep.
  • I have the all day nausea as well, but limited vomiting. The only thing that has “worked” for me (in quotes because I still have it) are a combination of: the sea bands, these lozenges with B6 in them that I got off amazon, and eating CONSTANTLY throughout the day to stay ahead of the dry heaving/gagging when my stomach is too empty. I eat a meal first thing in the AM like eggs or toast with butter (crackers do nothing) and I don’t drink anything until that has settled. I sip water slowly and have also been using carbonated water like sanpelligrino with light fruit flavors like lime or orange. Also I have been able to keep sports drinks down like Gatorade (US). I eat every 2 hours a small meal like a bagel, yogurt with fruit, pasta, grilled cheese... something like that and it takes the nausea down from a 99 to a 40 so I can manage. Then I eat again before I get back up to a 99. I’m 11w6d and still going through it since week 5. So you are not alone! <3
  • I’m taking unisom at night and it’s making my nausea more manageable. Also paying attending to what I eat before I throw up. 
  • I won't see the dr until January 7th for my first appointment.  I am like you, all day Nausea and I can't keep things down on some days.  Some days are better than others.  So for me calling a dr won't help because they haven't seen me yet.  However I have found that ginger ale really helps me.  Also cheese sticks and sometimes some saltiness. I take a ginger ale with me wherever I go.  Water I can't keep down by itself. But if I have a ginger ale then some water I'm pretty good. Good luck and I hope you start feeling better!

• Another with all day nausea here. I’m 11+1. Found the sea bands in week 9 when I couldn’t stop puking or sit up. It isn’t 100% better, but it makes life way, way more manageable. Worth it to check if it works for just $8. 

I hope something works works for you soon. 
  • Thanks for the advice!