May 2019 Moms

Favorite Names Thread

Re: Favorite Names Thread

• Thanks ladies for all the positive feedback about my favorite name, Henry. I genuinely feel a lot better about leaning towards going with a more popular name.

@bumbly_b I grew up having two middle names and liked it. For monogram stuff I always used the first and dropped the second. Now that I’m married though I have 3 middle names because I didn’t want to drop my last name and that’s a bit of a headache. 

@poshspice I have always loved the name Hazel. It’s so sweet. 
  • I deeply dislike the cousin and her kids so maybe that's were I'm getting the negative from. I also use my initials constantly, so I feel like if I'm going to end up dropping one for monogram or anything else why bother with it at all? 
  • Loading the player...
  • @bumbly_b I think if the names are sentimental it’s worth it but I wouldn’t use two just for the fun of it. Though I liked having two growing up I’m only doing one middle name for our baby because I think it flows nicer. 
  • I think I mentioned it above but we have 2 middle names for our boys and will for this little guy too. The second middle name is a reference to my side of the family and the first one is whatever we liked or seems to flow with the first. 

Dh and i are almost ready to put together our name bracket. We have a long list that needs to be taken down to 32 names lol. Then we will play with friends and family to see what they would pick (it helps to give us a little perspective) Of those we usually have 3-5 that make the short list for the hospital and then we will decide when we meet our baby boy. Ds2 was tough we didn’t love any names at first and it took us 2 days to finally settle on his name. Boy names are hard and this is our third! 
  • Dh wants to do two middle names, one we like and one to honor both our fathers who have the same name. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• @bumbly_b if both middle names are meaningful, I don’t think it matters. We considered two middle names for this baby but finally found one we both loved. I hardly use my initials and when I do, it’s just my first and last name. Kids don’t really care about monogrammed things, I don’t think. Maybe that’s just the way I was brought up. 🤷🏽‍♀️
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • My husband keeps shooting down every name. I am not giving any more suggestions until he comes up with a list! Our baby will be nameless.
  • @Stormiewinter I love the idea of a name bracket to share with friends and family! My husband also likes the idea, so we may very well do it! My only concern is if people will steal any names from our list. I have a sister in law and a cousin both due around the same time, but we seem to have very different tastes. I do also have a couple other close family of child bearing age. I don't want to be too worried about it, but wondered if that happened to you at all? 
  • Speaking of middle names, we are struggling with middle name(s) and last name and would love your thoughts.

My husband and I have different last names and I would like to somehow incorporate my last name into our LO’s name. Both our last names are 5 letters long so one option is to hyphen the 2 last names, the other to add my last name as a middle name. My husband has 2 middle names and likes it, I have no middle name, so we are maybe thinking of 2 middle names, a normal one and then my last name. 

What do you guys think will be easier in the long run? What have you seen most often? Any personal experience on condition of hyphened last names or last names as middle names?
  • @dfirstimer My second middle name is my Mom’s maiden name. I like having it. We share a common last name though so it’s slightly different circumstances. I think hyphenated names can be nice, it really depends how they flow. My personal preference would likely be to hyphenate so my child and I have a similar last name.
  • @dfirstimer i vote for putting your last name as a middle name, and avoiding a hyphenated last name. In my experience, hyphenated last names are difficult.
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• @dfirstimer idk if this will make much/any difference to you, but in my experience the students that I've had with a hyphenated last name almost always choose just one last name to go by.
    kids with flags
  • @dfirstimer I went to basic training with a girl who had a hyphenated last name. The biggest issue was her name was pretty long, but if she tried to shorten it when speaking to a T.I., she would be yelled at. I'm not sure it would be much of an issue anywhere else lol, but in normal life she just chose one last name to go by anyway. It would probably just be easier to do 2 middle names. 
  • Now that we know this baby is a boy (I *still* can't get over the excitement of that!!!! 😁) DH is finally willing to talk names. He refused to engage my conversation when I tried before. We have had a boy name picked out since DD1, which is Titus Nathaniel (Nathaniel is DHs name and a non negotiable). I still love the name, but I think like many, I've become kind of indifferent since we've had it picked for so long. It could very well be our name, but we've opened the discussion for more names. I like biblical names, like Daniel and Samuel, but those don't go with the mn. DH shot down Elijah. Other names I've thought of are Josiah, Jude, and Levi. I'm not stuck on a biblical name (neither of the girls are), other names I like are Gunner (shot down), Bear (which I know others have voiced a distaste for here lol), and I can't think of others. Like I said, I feel like we'll end up with Titus but just curious if anyone has opinions! 😊
  • @dfirstimer I also vote 2 mn's vs hyphenated. Like others said, most of the people I know pick one to go by. I also had a male friend who formally dropped one of his hyphenated LN's when getting married for various reasons, which ended up causing a lot of family drama.

All that said, I use a pseudo hyphenated LN myself. I have a license for work that I keep in my maiden name, but our HR and IT departments insist that I use my payroll name (what's on my social security card) for things like email and our training system. So internally I say them like they are hyphenated so that people aren't as confused when they see one or the other. But it's 11 letters and 4 syllables altogether, so I definitely only say one when I can. 
  • I agree people will drop one part of a hyphenated name but the maiden name will also get dropped as a middle name, too, as some mentioned above. One kid I went to school with had a popular first name so there was Colin A and Colin C-S. 

@optbaby2017 ugh it's so frustrating managing maiden vs married names. I didn't change anything at work "display" wise (email, etc.) but changed everything for my insurance, investments, and in my travel profile. Somehow, hotels for conferences still end up getting booked under my maiden name (flights are always fine through my profile, though) - this is for things where it's comped from a system that I don't book through.

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @dfirstimer I grew up with a hyphenated last name. Each name one syllable and 5 letters. I still hated it anyway. I couldn’t wait to get married and just get rid of the whole thing. I always fantasized about dropping one of the names, but I just took my husband’s name - though his name isn’t much of an improvement on my maiden name! I also think it’s particularly difficult when a boy is given a hyphenated last name - so when he gets married there are 3 names to think about. Is the person he marries expected to take his weird hyphenated name? Do they deal with 3 different last names when naming their own kids? It just makes things unnecessarily complicated for the child’s whole life. As a hyphenated child, it’s my right to have the opinion that giving your kid a hyphenated name is super selfish on the part of the parents. That being said I’d go with two middle names or just give your kid your last name as their middle name. 
    Ticker

• Thank you so much for all the comments!!! Really so helpful! I will share with my husband this evening and I think having it as 2nd middle name is best option. Even if it is dropped on most days, I will know it is there at least on official documents.
  • Thoughts on Bianca? We’ve been throwing that name around tonight and we both kind of like it. It’s Italian in origin and we are zero Italian so I’d be hesitant to use it. Has it become American enough, or does it still sound sort of foreign? I am wary about cultural appropriation 😬 I don’t think I’ve ever met anyone named Bianca. I’m also not sure about the sib set with DD’s name. She is elizabeth, but we exclusively call her Betty, so that would be two Bs and it kind of makes my eye twitch. 
    Ticker

• @poshspice I like the name Bianca. I'm not Italian either, but I tend to like Latin/Italian girl names and I don't see any problem using them. Bianca does go with Elizabeth, since they are both elegant names with a connection to Shakespeare. Similar names that I also like are Diana, Celia, and Lydia.

@imrachellea How about Jonas? That's DH's name and I love it. Biblical and familiar, but not as popular as Jonah (although that's also a good choice). Some other Biblical names, just to throw out there: Benjamin, Simon (or Simeon), Thomas. If you like Titus maybe you'll like Linus? I have a fondness for that name, although it was vetoed by DH.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @poshspice Bianca is definitely Americanized enough! I worked at a Boys and Girls Club in my hometown and there was a Bianca that was biracial, half black and half white. I didn’t even realize it was Italian. 
  • @misskimsue Linus is on my long list for boys! 😍
  • @poshspice I like Bianca, and I don't think it's too Italian to use if you are not, in fact, I didn't even know it was an Italian name. It makes me think Shakespeare (and 10 Things I Hate About You). I don't think the two B names is too much, they're different enough, but I grew up as one of four siblings and we all had B names (that was too much).
    kids with flags
  • @misskimsue I do like Jonas! I have two students this year with the name Jonah (one of the son of my friend) so that was definitely out, but I still like it. 
  • Thanks for all the advice, DH and I talked about it yesterday and agreed on using my last name as a second middle name (my DH has 2 middle names and initially didn’t want my last name as one middle name, but all your thoughts/comments helped). We are still undecided but looks like top contender for FN is Emilia so now we are just working on the first middle name :) 
  • @poshspice I LOVE Bianca. I'm Italian, and I have a ... Third? Cousin named Bianca. But I would use it if I wasn't Italian. I don't think anyone would side eye you for not being Italian. Ava is Italian, and I don't know anyone Italian with that name, but lots of Ava's lol. I used to look for Italian names exclusively to somehow honor that part of me (hence Luke Saverio), and there are a few that are super Americanized and no one realizes are Italian.. If you love it, use it. I really don't think it's an issue. 
  • @poshspice now you've got me worried if the name we picked (Finnegan) is problematic since we're not Irish...
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @sleepy33 Connor was one of our two boy names with DD (team green). I'm minimally Irish (1/8) but over half "British Isles" (English/Irish/Scottish/Welsh) and have red hair and freckles. But really, Finn is common enough now (as is Connor IMO) that it's not too heritage specific. DH wasn't 100% bought in on Connor b/c of the Irish thing (he's half Italian with strong ties to that heritage) but my plan was Luke for dark hair and Connor for light hair 🤷

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• poshspiceposhspice member
    edited January 2019
    @sleepy33 I’m probably extra judgmental/sensitive about it having grown up in Hawaii. Like, I would judge white people for naming their kid Akiko (a Japanese name) and I super judge any mainlanders and non-Hawaiians in general for using Hawaiian names for their kids. I even judge the Obamas for using Malia. 🤷🏻‍♀️ It’s more of a head-shake and eyeroll kind of judgment, but I silently judge lol. DH and I are both kind of traditional when it comes to name selection and whether they’re culturally appropriate. 
    Ticker

• @sleepy33 I love the name Finnegan! It’s so hard to tell ancestry so I never let it weigh that heavily on our decision. I’m 50% Norwegian and don’t look it at all. I have brown hair and DARK brown eyes. 
  • @sleepy33 yeah, to echo @mrskoz428 it’s definitely hard to tell heritage. I’m half Chinese and that dominates everything. You’d never know I have 1/8 Irish floating around in here 😆
    Ticker

• Ok good, y'all, cause my predominant background is Swiss, and there are really no Swiss boy names I find appealing...  :D
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

DIStickerscom Ticker
  • @poshspice I love Bianca and was going to bring up the Rescuers! I loved her!
    Me: 33 DH: 34
    Married: Oct 2015
    TTC #1: Sept 2016
    BFP: 10/19/16 ~ blighted ovum ~ D&C 11/23/16
    BFP: 3/24/17   <3  DD1 born 12/2/17
    TTC #2: July 2018
    BFP: 8/26/18 <3  DD2 born 5/16/19

• @imrachellea What about the name Elias? It was on my list last time around for a boy, but we had a girl. I still love, it but we are now really good friends with a family and their little boy is Elias. We just see them way to much, school everyday and at church to use it for this baby. 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• imrachelleaimrachellea member
    edited January 2019
    @robyn2201 I actually really like Elias, but I think it might be too close to Elijah for DH. Also in my previous BMB where we are all *crazy* close one of the girls named her second Elias so out made me question it for my own. I also really love just plan Eli, but unfortunately I could never ever use it as a friend of mine from my old church named her second boy that and TW he passed away from a CHD a week after he was born /TW. So that name is always "his"'
  • @imrachellea We were seriously considering Elias if this kid was a boy too, but I wasn't sure if we had rules in our group about that. I have liked that name since seeing the '90s Ninja Turtle movies though. Good name!
  • @RoseShadow873 Haha no rules, I mean we do have two Jackson/Jaxons and two Lilys, and I truly don't think M would mind at all. I just personally want to pick something that none of my friends really have.