May 2019 Moms

Favorite Names Thread

Re: Favorite Names Thread

• Thank you all!! It’s such a tough decision!! Didn’t picture myself using a top 10 name but warming up to the idea.  Pratt was a recent though today 
  • I am struggling so much with this! I swear I've read every boy name on Nameberry and in the SSA top 7000 multiple times. Nothing is really clicking. I started calling him Aloysius as a joke and it's actually starting to sound appealing, ahhhh!

That is all. I know we'll figure it out, I just wish I knew what DH's stepsister and my cousin were naming their babies so that I could be sure I'm not going to settle on something just to be set back to square one.
    kids with flags
  • Loading the player...
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited December 2018
    @brichanelle I love Noah Robert, but that may be because that is our name for this baby too! Ha! Name twins! Funnily enough Henry was our boy name for DD. Great minds think alike.
  • For a boy, we were thinking of Maxwell, with Max as short, Victor with Vic as short or Oscar. I like names that have a short version, and that are pronounced the same in many languages, especially English and Spanish. My name and DH’s both follow that and we both wanted the same. Now that we know it is a girl, we have a short list that follow the same process but our 4 favorite names are all in the top 10 names in all the US/UK and SSN lists so we are not being original. The only name that isn’t as common and is in our short list but not as high up is Antonia with Tony as nickname. 
  • @robyn2201 my husband and I are both the same as your husband. We like names that can't be made into nicknames. We'll have a Colin and a Luke. I like Grant A LOT. That was a name I brought up, but in the army they use last names and that was the last name of a dude who screwed us over, so H said no lol. 
  • Love Grant. It was on our list if LO was a boy. 
  • @robyn2201 i love the name Stella! That will be our girl name if we ever have one
  • @robyn2201 Ivy, Stella, and Grant sound great together! I love all those name choices. I tried to get DH to go for Ivy with both our girls, but he wasn't on board. Grant is on our long list this time, but I have a student named Grant this year, so it's iffy.
    kids with flags
  • Thanks ladies! 
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• @minnemiska I love the name Vivian! That’s on our list if we have another LO. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @minnemiska I love the name Vivian and Viv and Vivi are so cute. We love names that sound great and have a cute short nickname too. My husband’s last name is your son’s MN and for art/production purposes he reversed his name with Ellis as a FN to avoid confusion with someone with the same name.
  • Our baby boy name is going to be Basil True. My husband and his father both names are Basil. So I was nice enough to keep it going. I love the name True because our 4 year old daughter name is Trust.
  • Im struggling with names. Originally I’d excluded anything in the top 80. I have a personal hangup because my name was wildly popular (#1 for several years including the year I was born). I hated being 1 of several kids with the same name every year in school and having to go by my first name and last initial or one year, first name and first two letters of my last name. That being said my favorite name has always been Henry. I tried to move on and pick other names. We had it narrowed down to Eric or Theodore but I just love Henry. Husband also loves Henry so basically I am being my own roadblock. Does anyone have any pros for having a more popular name? Ha ha. Henry is currently #27 I believe, though lower for where I currently live. 
  • @jkduer I had a hang up with Logan for that reason. It's in the top 10, I believe, 5 even. We chose Luke which I think is in the 20s. I feel like as long as it's out of the top 10 you're less likely to have a situation like yours. I had a bit of an issue with that in school, but I was the only girl so it was easier to navigate, but frustrating still. I wouldn't worry too much. If you love it, go for it. 
  • @jkduer I’d stick with in your area. Our local hospitals put out a top 10 list of names every year. Henry was #2 in our area, but I know it’s not THAT common nationally. 
  • My name was technically mid-20's in popularity the year I was born. I have met less than 5 people my age with the name in my entire life. That said, know how a lot of names derive from others either as nicknames or actual given names, like Kate/Katie/Kathy are all from Katherine or Liz/Beth/Alyssa/Liza are rooted from Elizabeth? I was in an all-girls choir in high school where well more than half of the group (including myself) had the same root name, or something darn close that rhymed with someone else. Drove our conductor crazy. Probably not something that you will encounter with Henry, but another factor to consider for those that want to avoid the most popular names.
  • @jkduer, Henry is such a lovely name, if it is the one you like the most go for it. My parents picked a name that was quite original at the time for me but apparently other parents also thought the same, we were 4 girls with the same name within 180 in our class, and many times we were called by our last name or by first name and initial, but it wasn’t a big deal and it wasn’t as common as other names but my best friend since i was 3 yrs old who is still my bestie and I share the same name and 3 of us all shared the same name and dates for years guys called Sebastian so it made for very funny confusions.
    We gave up on unique names for our little one, all in very common names in US, UK and Colorado where we live, only one not as common is Antonia. We are undecided between Antonia, Amelia, Emilia, or Olivia. Likely won’t pick until she is here, but all sound similar in English and Spanish, DH and I love them and their short nicknames but they are all very popular 
  • @jkduer You could look up the top names for your state on the Social Securtiy website. I named DD1 Harper and that is in the top 5 I think nationally, but it’s way further down in Arizona where i live so I was ok with it. In fact people are constantly telling me how unique her name is and how they’ve never heard it before. I just smile and pretend I’m original lol. Also, going too unique or too far up the popularity list would be hard to ever find personalized things for your kid growing up. DS is Gavin and that was around the 70th spot the year he was born. I still can never find anything personalized for him and it’s gotten more popular since then. 
  • @jkduer I have a somewhat popular name with a ton of different spellings AND nicknames. Never had an issue but it was not the most popular spelling so hard to find magnets, ornaments, keychains, etc. DD's name is pretty popular although we are going with a nickname I don't hear too frequently. It just doesn't bother me...and no one got judged poorly on a resume for having a name like Lauren, Sarah, Daniel, or Michael (the popular ones that required last initials when I was in school sometimes).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @kvh22 I was never worried about the personalization thing. Both DH and I have less than popular common names and it never bothered me to not have my name onthings. There were so many Sarah’s, Anna’s, Taylor’s, and such when I was growing up. Now, as a teacher I had two Ella’s and two Leilani’s. It drive me nuts to not be able to just call them by their names.
  • @mrskoz428 probably depends on having siblings close in age. It didn't bother me very much but there were times when we all could have gotten an ornament but they didn't have my name so my brother and sister couldn't get them either (not in a punishment sort of way, just didn't make sense). I felt bad even though it was my parents' fault. I think you've said your siblings aren't close in age to you so doubt that ever came up. We're planning 3 or 4 relatively close together. Just offering a positive on a more popular name like @jkduer asked for 😉

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• mrskoz428 said:
    @kvh22 I was never worried about the personalization thing. Both DH and I have less than popular common names and it never bothered me to not have my name onthings. There were so many Sarah’s, Anna’s, Taylor’s, and such when I was growing up. Now, as a teacher I had two Ella’s and two Leilani’s. It drive me nuts to not be able to just call them by their names.
    I have a couple of duplicate kids in my class, and I don't do the whole "Tyler J" thing... I just call them both by their name. Occasionally it's briefly confusing, but not often. That may be a thing that's easier to figure out with older kids though. I did luck out that of the three Alexander/dras I have in one class, they all had different preferred nicknames.

One year I had two students with the same first and last name in the same class. That was slightly confusing, but we figured it out.
    kids with flags
  • chloe97chloe97 member
    edited January 2019
    @jkduer We are going with the name Noah- which I think is number 2. I’m really not too concerned about it. I looked and there were 800 Noah’s born in Illinois last year- which averages to less than 1 Noah per elementary school. And then my best friend purposely named her daughter something lower on the list-Vivian and two acquaintances in our small hometown (where she lives) also named their daughters Vivian within months of her. And one will go to the same private school. She was annoyed. So you just never know.

I also think some names are very popular regionally. I went to school with 10 girls named Kari/Carrie/Kerry/Carri/ etc and i rarely have met another one outside my hometown. Same with the name Shondra/Chandra- there were like 5 of them and I’m sure they weren’t super popular the year I was born.
  • @chloe97 I agree that you just never know. My DD1 is named something uncommon -- less than five kids born in my state with her name in her birth year. I got a new job about 4 years after naming her, and it turns out one of my new coworkers has a daughter with the same name (a few years older).
    kids with flags
  • I'm back on the struggle bus with names. DH said he doesn't like Audrey, and that leaves me with Claire and Juliet. And now I'm not even sure if I like those. I feel like I hate all girl names now! I've looked over the top 1000 names list multiple times, and nothing jumps out at me. I don't know what to do. 

Image result for computer overwhelmed gif
    Ticker

• @poshspice I love both Claire and Juliet! 
  • @poshspice I'm sorry Audrey is a lovely name. I really like Juliet though. 
  • @poshspice I’m going through similar feelings with our chosen names. I think that we’ve been settled on names for so long that I’m just used to them now and the excitement has worn off. I still like them, but I’m also not super enthusiastic about them like I was when we first settled on them. Maybe you’re that’s your issue too? I’m sure by the time baby comes you’ll have a name you love! 
  • @poshspice I feel your pain! Every name just feels so "meh" and I don't know how we are ever going to settle on one. We may be at the hospital with a no-name baby again 😩
    kids with flags
  • We are still stuck on a middle name. H has brought up using two middle names...his cousin did it with all 3 of her kids. Personally not my style.

Is anyone doing that or have any feelings on double middle names? 
  • @bumbly_b I have two middle names, one from my moms side and one from my dad’s side. I personally like it because it’s different. Just make sure both middle names end up on the social security card. I had a little bit of trouble changing my name when I got married because my birth certificate and marriage certificate didn’t perfectly match my name on my social security card (they only had my first middle name on that card).
  • @bumbly_b I have two middle names because when DH and I got married I moved my maiden name to a second middle name. For me, it has been a bit of a hassle because my first middle name is a regular name, and my second looks like a surname, so I have had some confusion at my bank, etc. where they had me listed as having two last names instead of two middles. As long as the second name is clearly not a last name, I don't think you'll have as much trouble as I have had.
    kids with flags
  • @steph30032 I think the excitement has definitely worn off, but on the other hand I still love DD's name. And I don't love either of these two names left on our agreed-upon list. 

@brie_and_almonds yes, everything feels so meh. I really wanted to name this kid before we get to the hospital this time, but it's not looking like we're moving that way. 

Other names that I like that DH keeps shooting down are Hazel, Melody, and Rose or Rosalie. He keeps saying "no colors, no flowers, no word names".  :( 
    Ticker

• I got shot down on Hazel as well. 
  • @poshspice I feel like our husbands would get along lol. Mine is like that. Super picky. I liked Rosalie, but I have a thing with double letters and our last name starts with R. Plus our dog's name is Rosie 😂
  • I LOVE Rosalie! That was on my very short list for girl names!