1st Trimester

Glucose test

FTM here! Just wondering if anyone has gone through this, so Friday morning currently at 6k5d I got a glucose test done. From what my friends have told me they were surprised that my doc ordered this test so early on in my pregnancy. Anyways they told me not to fast (I work 3rd shift so went in the morning after work) I drank that sugar filled drink, waited an hour and got my blood drawn. Well the test results came back and my levels were at 211😳 thats insanely high!! I’ve never had issues with this, diabetes doesn’t run in my family, and all my other blood work came back perfectly fine!!
I talked to my mother in law (she is a doc) and she said anyone would fail that test not fasting..... that I shouldn’t have done that test without fasting?? 
So what I’m wondering is if any of you ladies have gone through this?? Hoping you gals can calm my nearves!!

Re: Glucose test

• **lurking**

I had an early 1 hr test at 10 weeks because I had GD with my previous pregnancy. I didn't fast before that one and I passed. From what I understand, the instructions about fasting before that test vary from doctor to doctor. On my month board we had some told to fast and others told not to. You're levels may have been high if you had a bunch of carbs before the test (my OB stressed eating more protein beforehand) or it's possible you might develop GD. Honestly it's good to know so you can start managing it early. It is a pain but remember even if you have it, it's temporary. If you had levels that high I would ask for the 3 hour test which is a fasting test and would give you a more accurate report of where things are. Good luck!
  • harpseal135harpseal135 member
    edited December 2018
    FTM here! Just wondering if anyone has gone through this, so Friday morning currently at 6k5d I got a glucose test done. From what my friends have told me they were surprised that my doc ordered this test so early on in my pregnancy. Anyways they told me not to fast (I work 3rd shift so went in the morning after work) I drank that sugar filled drink, waited an hour and got my blood drawn. Well the test results came back and my levels were at 211😳 thats insanely high!! I’ve never had issues with this, diabetes doesn’t run in my family, and all my other blood work came back perfectly fine!!
    I talked to my mother in law (she is a doc) and she said anyone would fail that test not fasting..... that I shouldn’t have done that test without fasting?? 
    So what I’m wondering is if any of you ladies have gone through this?? Hoping you gals can calm my nearves!!
    I never had to fast with the 1 hr. Glucose test and my results were fine.  I was told (not by a doctor) that fasting can actually skew the test results because you want to see how your food is being processed so eating normally before glucose test gives the most accurate results.  
  • Loading the player...
  • What @harpseal135 said. Didn’t fast, and was told not to, though to avoid a high carb meal. Does seem early, but trust your doc or get a second opinion if you’re worried.
  • I never had to fast and passed the 1 hour with ease all 3 pregnancies, though I never had to do it until 24-28 weeks.  I did typically avoid carb-laden meals for the few hours before the test just to be safe.
  • I had to take the GTT early my last 2 pregnancies because I was diagnosed with GD with my 3rd. If you have had GD in previous pregnancies, are overweight, or have a family history of diabetes they will make you take it early because you are at a higher risk for GD.

This go around was the first time that I was told not to fast. It varies between Dr's. That sugary drink was probably why your numbers were so high.

I always fail the 1hr. Always. And have gone on to pass the 3hr all but once so far. If you do have GD it's not the end of the world but and adjustment for sure. Also try to remember if you do have GD there's absolutely nothing you could do to change it. It's all hormones! 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙