Baby Names

Miller for a girl

Opinions please! Is Miller too masculine?The few people I've mentioned it to really didn't seem to like it for a girl at all. I think it's cute (especially with Millie as a nick name), but I don't want to give my daughter a name that people really don't seem to like. Honest thoughts please and thank you!!!! 

Re: Miller for a girl

• I don’t like it at all.  If it’s a family name I’d put it as the middle name. I like Millie but it could be short for -

Camilla
    Camille
    Amelia
    Mila
    Millicent
    Matilda
    Emmeline

• Honestly? Masculinity isn't the issue here. Miller is just boring. It's such a common surname. Like, top 10 common. There's a over a million people with Miller as a last name. Probably more because those stats are from 2000. It's not even a cool last name like "Fox".  I wouldn't recommend this for a boy. Even for occupational names, like, milling is boring. Masonry and smithing can be really interesting, and there's a lot of craftmenship involved. Milling, not so much. 

You can open a phone book, filp to a random page, point, and find a better given name then Miller.
  • Loading the player...
  • On top of everything @Bringmemylongswordho said, I also just assume you like beer and married a frat guy who still thinks he is 19 and smashes beer cans in his head on the weekends

• What they said...
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Agree with the above and it's too surnamey. Most people that use surnames as first names seem to use them for boys so I guess in that way it is masculine. Keep looking!
  • Opinions please! Is Miller too masculine?The few people I've mentioned it to really didn't seem to like it for a girl at all. I think it's cute (especially with Millie as a nick name), but I don't want to give my daughter a name that people really don't seem to like. Honest thoughts please and thank you!!!! 
    Please, try again.  

I agree with all previous posts.
  • I don't hate Miller like most others seem to. We have an elderly Miller in our family, and I have never given it a second thought. I especially LOVE Millie, although there are probably other ways to get that nn if you are going to jump ship on Miller.

I think one of your biggest problems is trying out a name you are unsure of on your family. I am of the mind that you either need to be dedicated to it (even if others protest) or keep it quiet until it actually belongs to a baby. It's harder to criticize then. :) 
  • I went to school with a girl named Miller.  I didnt know about the beer (known her since elementary) and when I heard it on a man later, it seemed strange.  I think it's fine on a girl.
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Not a fan at all. I would go back to the drawing board. Good luck!

Me: 29 / Hubster: 31
    Married July 2010
    DC #1 Oct 2013
    DC #2 EDD June 2016

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Millie is sweet, but I don't care for Miller to get there. Mildred or Millicent or just Millie on its own are much better imo.
    kids with flags
  • As long as her midlle name is light youll be good.
  • I actually like it. It was on my list for girls but hubby vetoed it. I especially love the nn Millie.