May 2019 Moms
Options

Weekend Randoms

This might be a bit late, but that weekly is at 200 posts, so I figured for the next like... 36 hours? We can use this one 😂 also, this is what pops up when you type "random holiday gif" 😭😂

Re: Weekend Randoms

• Options
    We have been cleaning the old house all day. I'm exhausted and my body hurts. BUT I have to go to the store. I would do it tomorrow but 1. It'll be the day before Christmas Eve, 2. We have a ton to get ready at the new house before we have company on Christmas Eve, and 3. My best friend is babysitting so we can go on a date and I probably won't get the time to go shopping.
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds I hate that gif! 😱 

My family keeps making fun of me for following safety standards and I'm super over it. In the past it's been how I won't let DS have a pillow or blanket (he wears a sleep sack! He's fine!), how I wouldn't let him have food until 6 mo (discussed with his ped), etc. Today's was how I wouldn't let him have honey until he turned one. I get it, they didn't have these safety guidelines when you were raising kids and everyone survived, that's great. But now, they're raising that chance of survival MORE so why are you making fun of me for not wanting anything bad to happen to my baby?

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I really hate that. My mom LOVES to use the "I did xyz and you're fine. I NEVER breast fed and you are fine." Blah blah blah. I'm fine, yes, but these guidelines were put in place because other kids weren't okay. Smoking during pregnancy causes low birth weight and premature labor, just because you did it and I was almost 9lbs doesn't change science. It's just anecdotal. Csection raises the chances of infection, just because you and several people you know didn't get infections doesn't change fact and science. Breast feeding is healthy and can boost immune responses of babies. Just because my breast fed baby almost died and your formula fed baby was healthy doesn't change science and fact. I'm sick of her using anecdotal evidence to prove everything is fine if you don't follow safety guidelines. They were put in place for a reason. Yes, we survived a LOT, but many did not. 
  • Options
    Ugh @DuchessOfCambridge that is so annoying! I can’t imagine putting up with that for so long. I’m already running into similar problems with my Mom and the baby isn’t even here yet. 🤦🏼‍♀️ My Mon has saved everything I ever used and wants me to use with baby. It’s all sat uncovered in the rafters of her garage for 30+ years and she thinks I’m overreacting not wanting to use things that are no longer considered safe. I’m a super stickler about safety and have been reading as much about safety standards as I can. 
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge my mom has certain issues that she just won't give up on, no matter what, and not having blankets and pillows in the crib is something that she has fought with every baby in the family. It's so annoying. I keep telling her that we are following current safety standards, and she always uses the fact that my nephew won't try/doesn't like peanut-butter to back her rationale for doing whatever she wants. (Her "logic" is that when he was a baby the recommendation was no peanut-butter, and now that recommendation has changed, but he still refuses to try it, so therefore all recommendations are free to be ignored because they could change some day 🤦‍♀️.)

Other things she argues with me about every time it comes up:
    - coats in the car-seat
    - leg-comfort of my rear-facing child
    kids with flags
  • Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge that is so annoying. I dread these fights with my mother when baby gets here because I know that she is not going to want to follow any safety guidelines. I remember she was so lax on carseat safety with my niece, among many other things that she was lax on. She is very much like "well I did this with you and you are fine...." ummm ok....
    Me: 38, DH: 37
    Married: 8/10/13
    BFP- 12/18/15, D&E- 4/8/16 @ 21w5d- confirmed Thanatophoric Dysplasia
    BFP- 11/7/17, M/C- 11/18/17 @ 4w6d
    BFP- 8/25/18 ~ EDD- 5/9/19 ~ DD born 5/2/20 *Lillian Hazel*
    BFP- 10/9/20 ~ EDD- 6/21/21

• Options
    I have to finish up two papers for my class and wrap all the Christmas presents today and I just don't want to.

• Options
    I'm a little worried about H's family with safety guidelines and our wishes...

H and my brother went out duck hunting this morning and got brothers truck sunk down to the frame in the mud. So I got the call at 4am to go rescue them. Had to go wake up my dad for help. It was my one day to sleep in! I dont have to be at work until 130pm...seriously gonna need a nap. 
  • Options
    Was up until 1am. Then from 1-3am DS woke me up like 10 times. He wanted to sleep with me, then he wanted me to lay with him, then he wanted me to make Christmas be here. I finally laid with him and told him when the sun comes out he can come to my bed and snuggle. He woke me a few minutes ago and said "mom, it's raining, but it's not dark anymore" 😂 smart kid. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    Can someone please reassure me that making my kid sleep in his perfectly comfortable big boy bed in his perfectly fine room is not scarring him for life? His ABA therapist warned me there would be an extinction burst (increased behavior, gets worse before it gets better), but I thought the first night was it because the second night he slept through perfectly. Last night was hell and now I think I've started the habit of laying with him to get him to sleep and don't know if I'll ever be able to stop 😭😂
  • Options
    I'm waiting for a batch of cookies to finish in the oven, then I have to run to Target to finish shopping. "Gifts" are done but we have no stocking stuffers. DH got annoyed at me this morning that I went to Target last night and didn't just finish then. Buuuut last night my only goal was to get medicine so I didn't feel like death and back home asap to take said meds. Now that they are working I feel up to wandering around with the crowds I guess......but I'd really rather take a nap while the girls nap.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    My mom has actually been really understanding of the safety stuff even if she thinks it's dumb. I think it helped that she saw DS in the NICU and heard over and over again from nurses about safe sleep etc and she came to a few pediatrician appointment with us. One day I did flat out say "why are you annoyed I don't want my baby to die" and that stopped my immediate family but my extended is still all into making fun of me for it. It's annoying.

• Options
    We are having our first Christmas today with my parents, sister, nieces, and nephews. So excited to see them all. We are having prime rib and I’m so damn happy about it!
  • Options
    @mrskoz428 I loooooove prime rib. I had it for Christmas Eve the first time when I was pregnant with DD2. I'd been craving it, and we went to DHs best friends house and they just harmed to have it as the meal . They're Hispanic and do it all out for Christmas Eve and we've been the past several years and he continues with prime rib...I just told DH to text him and ask if they're having it so I can live vicariously through then.
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds ds1 was awake at 4 this morning. Wide awake! I think he is just so excited for Christmas, he gets like this anytime we are looking forward to something. 

I actually don’t mind lying with the boys u til they fall asleep. It’s a nice way to end our often hectic days together. Ds2 usually sleeps right through, but ds1 usually finds his way back into our bed most nights. Honestly he is so quiet about it that I usually don’t even know until morning. Soit doesn’t really bother me either. We have have tried everything by the way.. the night lights and the new bed and the fun blankets. But so far nothing has worked for more than a night or two. 
  • Options
    Getting the family on board with safety guidelines or even your parenting choices can be so frustrating. My parents questioned so many of choices while I was making them but it was so incredibly satisfying when someone outside the family made a comment about my son still
    breastfeeding at 4.5 months old and my dad immediately responded with how benefitial breastfeeding is for my son and also financially, how it would change my diaper routine since I cloth diaper (he hated the idea of cloth before my son was born) and since my son has severe eczema the pediatrician didn't want us to introduce solids until we could see a dermatologist (which was a whole other circus🙄). I hope in the long run your families can all get on board. 
  • Options
    robyn2201robyn2201 member
    edited December 2018
    We have spent the morning relaxing. Currently watching A Christmas Story. Will probably head out to Costco in a little bit to buy food for Christmas Day. Dh’s family decided to do Mexican food and we need to pick up some tamales. I also need to make some shortbread cookies and finish wrapping those last few presents. DD1 left notes all over the house like this one, left in the bathroom, reminding me to make cookies for Santa. Love that kid!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    @imrachellea we got all our shopping done and I spaced on stocking. I got it all last night, though. DS decided after I bought all his gifts that he LOVES my little pony. I didn't buy him a single mlp toy because that wasn't an interest he had even 3 weeks ago. But it was the ONLY thing he asked Santa for on Friday lol. So, I had to do a mlp stocking, of course 😂

H and I are going on a date tonight, dinner and Aquaman. Tomorrow we're having Christmas Eve festivities at our house, so kids will decorate cookies, play games, make gingerbread houses (from Graham crackers since DS is allergic to gingerbread), open up their Christmas jammies and presents we got for them, and then watch a Christmas movie and drink hot cocoa.
  • Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds DD1 got the massive My Little Pony set for her birthday this past week 😆 She was very specific they she wanted that for her birthday and an Elsa doll for Christmas (both wishes granted).
  • Options
    My mom always went all out for Christmas Eve dinner. Same for Christmas, but since Christmas Eve was always just our immediate family it was more intimate and special. I want to do something special, to make a tradition, but I'm not sure what. In not really sure I want it to be a lot of "work", just something special. These are my ideas: make our own pizzas, lasagna, Chinese (though this was always a New Year's Eve thing growing up), Mexican, or fondue. I'm leaning towards pizza with the girls, then DH and I doing a special fondue after they're in bed and presents and stockings are done (adding wine next year). Then we can always switch to a dessert fondue with the kids when they're older and staying up later. But I always really want tamales........(the reason I'm leaning towards fondue is because a) I have a fondue pot we love using on special occasions and b) we're German and that's a traditionally German thing).
  • Options
    @imrachellea I love the fondue idea! We have pretty set traditions so it will be interesting to see how those change next year when baby is here. 
  • Options
    The whole time I was growing up we did Christmas on Christmas Eve. We have continued that tradition, which makes it super easy because we can go to DH's family on Christmas without any conflicts. For a long time, my mom would always to a big ham dinner or a big turkey dinner but for the last several years we do lobster! It is so much easier and way less cooking and clean up. We usually do lobster, salad, rolls, and baked potatoes, along with some apps and some desserts. On Christmas Day when we go to the ILs for late morning, we have salmon pie and pork pie (not my favorite, even though I do really like salmon pie with soy sauce).

• Options
    @MelissaMay82 now I really want lobster. That sounds amazing. 
  • Options
    Can someone please reassure me that making my kid sleep in his perfectly comfortable big boy bed in his perfectly fine room is not scarring him for life? His ABA therapist warned me there would be an extinction burst (increased behavior, gets worse before it gets better), but I thought the first night was it because the second night he slept through perfectly. Last night was hell and now I think I've started the habit of laying with him to get him to sleep and don't know if I'll ever be able to stop 😭😂
    You are not scarring him for life by making him sleep in his big boy bed. 😀 Would it help to do a rewards thing with him if he goes to bed without any issues and stays in his bed all night, like a sticker for each night he sleeps in there the whole night and then a certain number of stickers he can trade in for a toy or something fun? So a little story, I will try to do the cliff notes version. My SIL is 16 years old, there is a 19 year age difference between her and DH and a 15-16 year age difference between her and BIL. My ILs have a small 2 bedroom house so since both boys still lived at home, they had no choice but to keep her in their room (she had a crib and then a little princess bed on the floor). Well BIL didn't move out until she was around 5-5 1/2 (he was in college, etc). And my ILs had a hell of a time trying to get her to sleep in her new room. If I remember correctly, they didn't actually even make her sleep in there until she was 6. Eventually, she did sleep in her room with lots of positive reinforcement, but I don't think that she was actually a good sleeper until she was like 10-ish. 

• Options
    @imrachellea I LOVE the idea of Christmas fondue and may be ripping that off in the future. Yum.
    kids with flags
  • Options
    We also do lobster Christmas Eve. Our first year living together dh and I were broke grad students. So at the holidays we took all our change we had thrown into a random jar that year and used it to make the fanciest dinner we could think of, lobster. We called it lobster festivus, and the tradition stuck. Since we don’t travel for Christmas anymore, lobster festivus happens for us on Christmas Eve. We still cash in all our change for the year and use it to pay for the lobster. I am so looking forward to dinner tomorrow! 

@imrachellea fondue sounds great! I always forget we have a fondue pot. I need to break it out one of these days! 
  • Options
    @Stormiewinter What a fun and yummy tradition you have!
    Ivy: July 2010  |  Stella: Dec 2012  |  BFP#3: MMC at 11Wk's, July 2017 | Wyatt: April 2019 | BFP#5: Twin Girls due Sept 2020

• Options
    @stormiewinter I love that story! What a great tradition. 

H and I have had an amazing day. We spent early afternoon cleaning the (new) house and setting it all up, and I'm so happy with how it's coming along. Then we went to Wendy's for dinner (we took too long to get ready and had pre-bought our tickets... Which ended up being unnecessary 😂), then saw Aquaman, which totally isn't my kind of movie typically but it was pretty good. We needed that date. We talked like I imagine normal couples talk on a regular basis. It was just really easy and nice. Finishing up wrapping presents and getting ready for bed. ♥️ 
  • Options
    The current happenings in my uterus, causing me to lose sleep:

• Options
    @eatinwatermelonseeds we saw Green Book last night. I’m always buying our tickets ahead of time these days bc now all the theaters by us are reserved seating, so I want to make sure we don’t end up in the front row. Ha! I’m so happy, I’ve managed to get DH on board with seeing a lot of movies this winter. It’s like the one winter activity that we both enjoy that I can still do. Skiing and skating are out and even going out to eat isn’t as much fun now that I can’t have a glass of wine or eat a lot of things on the menus!