June 2019 Moms

Mental Health Thread w/o 12/17

1)What are you struggling with this week? 
2) What is helping make things better this week? 

GTKY: What are your plans for the holidays?

Re: Mental Health Thread w/o 12/17

• 1)What are you struggling with this week?
    I had been feeling so well last week work was even going well and then this week it kind of just came back down. I'm not sure if it's just pg hormones or something more but the roller coaster feelings is really getting to me. I just never know what to expect. I also have been struggling with my relationship with God, it's something that really has me down because it is just a big part of who I am. Also I shared a total TMI symptom in the symptoms thread and that incident has me feeling pretty bad, I know its nothing that couldn't have been helped but it still makes me feel icky and gross about myself.

I'm hoping to get a few hours of just pampering myself, I really need a haircut and I hope I can get one before Christmas.

we're driving 5 hours to see our family and I'm so excited. I didnt get to see my family for Thanksgiving and I really miss them!
  • Loading the player...
  • jhems776jhems776 member
    edited December 2018
    I have general anxiety disorder and adhd. 
    1)What are you struggling with this week? My struggles seem to be changing. Home and work anxiety and feeling of failure are not really around right now. They were very bad for a while in the first tri. Right now I have a lot of anxiety of going to our hometown and staying with my parents for a week plus. Over Thanksgiving my mom and I blew up. We talk all the time on the phone and its great, I love our conversations, very easy. Then in person we seems to just rub each other the wrong way and both get hurt and pissed. It's been like this between us for years and I cannot figure it out. She says I'm hard on her, I say how hurtful and dismissive she is to me. Then planning just sucks, the woman will not commit or when she actually plans it doesn't go the way she wants because she didn't actually tell or ask other before so she gets mad and goes full martyr. My dad is great at just ignoring her and doesn't make plans so doesn't get shit from her. My H said how it's not just that I'm high anxiety when I'm there but in pain (hurt) I am for weeks after. He knows I'm anxious about it and now I'm worried he will try to 'defend me' and really just start a fight with my mom. Thanksgiving week was 3x as bad as it normally is so I'm scared how Christmas will go. 

2) What is helping make things better this week? The thought of seeing people and no work for a week.

GTKY: What are your plans for the holidays? Home for the holidays. Both of our immediate and extended families are in the same city so going home is fun but busy. I have dreams of in the future just staying home and just doing our own little Christmas. 
  • @jhems776 I know how you feel with your mum, the relationship I have with mine has been similar my whole life. I can usually only last a weekend with her but she’s gotten a lot better since my dad was involved in a horrific motorbike accident and she has been forced to become a carer for him, which I guess has made her reasses the way she treats people? I’m hoping that your mum comes to realise that the way she’s treating you is going to see you spend less and less time with her and ultimately for her that means she won’t see her grandchild as much. You mentioned it started a couple of years ago? Could she be going through menopause? That’s essentially like having the emotions of a teenager again so could be an explanation?

I won’t participate in the first two questions this week because I’ve been so side tracked by surgery that I haven’t had time to think about my emotions.

Picking up my partners step son on Friday and will take him home Christmas Eve. Going to my SIL’s (brother’s wife) aunty’s house to spend it with her family, then will pick my partner’s step son back up that evening and have him again until the 31st. My parents are coming to visit from the 29th to the 12th of Jan but we have literally nothing planned with them yet! They only booked their flights yesterday so until then we didn’t even know what dates they were coming haha. 
  • @jhems776 *lurking* your mom sounds like mine. You can hear the tone of her texts when she is annoyed and dismissive. She sounds like yours where she plays the martyr. She would rather commit to something then bitch about it instead of just saying no upfront.  Or wont make plans to do anything.  .  So frustrating.
  • @vv826 I totally missed your post in the symptoms thread. If it makes you feel any better I’ve done the same at least 5 times. It’s pretty humbling. 
  • I have been struggling alot with the uncertain news we got at our prenatal and subsequent NT scan. I posted what happened in the appt thread. Being told that just with the NT measurement that our baby has a 10% chance of not surviving, and a 51% chance of having a chromosome defect....broke my heart. I still consider my pregnancy and baby a blessing, but it was so blind siding to be told that there could be something wrong with my baby. I'm beside myself with worry and just grief because there is nothing I can do to help my baby. The defects we are at risk of are considered a "fluke" and something that is neither genetically passed down or preventable. We have a healthy daughter already, and they said if we choose to try for more kids in the future, the chance is low that this would happen again since it is just "luck of the draw". We did share with immediate family and everyone has been supportive. Some days I just want to pretend like everything is normal and be left alone to be in lala land. DH has been wonderful and I think it is really important that we both are on 100% the same page with what we want to do. We don't want to terminate pregnancy no matter what the results say, we just feel like we need to give the baby the same chance we would give any other pregnancy. I do struggle with trying to envision what life would be like if the baby is special needs, but I know we will give him/her the best life we can. 
  • @BlondePeanut i swear modern medicine is as much of a curse as its a blessing. Without all these tests we would just get what we get not spend months with the tease(for lack of better word) of percentages of this and that. I cant imagine being in your shoes. I hope you have someone in a more professional capacity to talk to to work through your emotions.
  • @canuckbaby  Thank you. I see now why some people just plain opt out of all this testing. But I think it is better to be prepared if our baby has special needs, so we know ahead of time what types of things we may need to prepare for after birth. The maternal fetal medicine dept that diagnosed the NT scan also has a genetic counseling center where they basically offer therapy for parents who are going through this and also a multitude of information on the disorders we may be facing and how to handle our feelings and also care for a child who has one of these disorders. 

• Good to hear @BlondePeanut and it is important to be prepared so you have time to figure out what you need ahead of time. 
  • @antera23 definitely humbling, I am glad that I could share it her with ladies who don't judge because my boss looked mortified!  

@jhems776 I'm sorry the holidays are bringing on the anxiety. I hope everything goes smoothly with your mom and you're able to relax and enjoy.

@wiseh how is your recovery going?

@BlondePeanut I am praying so hard that your results were wrong and that everything's is ok.
  • wisehwiseh member
    edited December 2018
    I’m feeling really good today @vv826! Just sore in the incision below with the big bruise. It feels like I’ve been to the gym doing crunches for 16 hours haha. When my clothes brush against the bruise it’s a bit tender. But yeah, feeling great! 

*picture of incisions in spoiler*

• @wiseh is it possible for you to put that pic in a spoiler? No offense but things like that make me pretty queasy. I don’t actively participate in this thread every week but I do like reading it as I’m struggling a little this pregnancy.
  • @BlondePeanut sorry you have to go through all of this ambiguity while waiting for a more definite answer. I hope you can find some time for yourself to relax over the holidays. And praying that you guys get good news.

@wiseh glad you're feeling good today. Hope recovery continues to go smoothly.

1)What are you struggling with this week? I've gotten better at controlling my anxiety and talking about it has helped. Monday night wasn't the best but Tuesday and Wednesday nights I didn't have any anxiety creep up on me so I was able to fall asleep easy. That was nice.

2) What is helping make things better this week? I talked to my doctor about the anxiety at my appointment yesterday and how it's only occurring at night. She suggested a couple things that I think will help. One being taking benadryl before bed to help take the edge off so I can get some sleep. If that doesn't help she said to follow up and she could recommend someone for me to talk to. I'm hoping that being able to catch up on sleep with leave me in a more rational state of mind and able to control things more since it's not extremely overwhelming for me yet.

GTKY: What are your plans for the holidays? We are going to my in-laws on Christmas Eve after Mass and then we will go to my parents on Christmas day. I'm excited to watch DS open presents. He's really enjoyed it so far this year and it's really entertaining. 
  • Sorry, @nmbrcrnchr1 put in a spoiler now! 🙂

Hoping the benadryl trick works for you to get some more sleep @runyogamom! Sleep is my saviour at the moment. 
  • I have Social and Generalized anxiety disorders. 

1)What are you struggling with this week?  Honestly, my mom. I have tomorrow off work so I told her I’d help her early in the day. DH has a family dinner that night so I’ll have to leave her house around 3 to get to his parents house by 5 (long drive plus SoCal traffic). Well that’s not enough. She’s mad that AS HIS WIFE I have to go have dinner with his family, and yelled at me to not help her and “just go be with (my) other family”. Know what started this? I’d said I’d like to be able to wash baby’s laundry with DH and I’s so no pastels please (she’s HUGE on reinforcing existing gender roles and identities. If baby is a girl she has to wear dresses and pink. A boy? He has to wear blue all the time). She blew up on that saying i was going to be hurting my baby by washing their onesies with our t-shirts and went on and on about germs, and how that’s “just not how it’s done”. I calmly asked for articles or studies that showed it’s unsafe. She had nothing, so she got mad and picked a fight. 

DH. Being at work all day and not close to the madness at the house. My poodles. (Escapism FTW!)

Dinner and presents at the madhouse Christmas Eve. Going to DH’s parents house for Christmas Day. On our off day, we’re just going to snuggle, light a fresh balsam candle (B&BW. Smells just like a fresh cut tree) and finish watching Harry Potter. 
  • 1)What are you struggling with this week? 
    So I have an anxiety disorder as is. Part of my struggle is that the meds that are safe for pregnancy aren't as effective as what I was taking before. So the regular work/life/holiday anxiety coupled with pregnancy anxiety feels almost insurmountable sometimes. Add to that my morning sickness and GI discomfort haven't gotten worse since week 13. I've cried a lot recently  like I don't have the emotional capacity for any additional  stressor.

Thank god for my husband. He's the best medicine for my anxiety. I always feel safe with him and he helps me to really sort out what's important and needs to dealt with and what I can try to put by the way side. He's absolutely amazing  

Probably too much. Christmas party on 12/22, dinner with my family 12/23, dinner with hub's parents 12/24, then seeing both families on Christmas, then back to work 12/26. This is kind of looking like a bad idea now. Haha. 
  • I have never battled with anxiety until I lost my son at 22 weeks in april of this year. Since then i have had anxiety attacks over the most random things. Now that i am pregant again with a boy I have been feeling pretty good and not worrying too much. However, the past two weeks have been rough. I still cant hear his heartbeat at home which doesnt help the anxiety. I work at a hospital and have had friends checking ultrasounds and listening on the doppler to ease my fears and eventhough everything looks great, I cant help but wonder that things will go wrong. My last pregancy, he was always small. This time he looks great and measures on time, but that doesnt seem to help ease my fears. I had a dream last night that i was alone at the drs and we did an ultrasoubd where he came back small. Everyone in the offilce kept telling me that it was normal but i couldnt stop crying, thinking he may have the same fate as my other son. The closer i get to 22 weeks, the more i worry. I know its not good for the baby for me to worry but it seems impossible not to. 

With all this im not really feeling the christmas spririt! Haha
    Im hoping my 16 week visit will help but until i can hear him on my home doppler, i think i will be a mess!