July 2019 Moms

The foods/drinks/activities I miss most right now are....

Thought this would be a fun thread to vent/reminisce on the things we love but can't have while pregnant, and maybe share alternatives with one another that can act as substitutes in the meantime!

I'll go first: I would give anything for a big fat footlong turkey deli sandwich right now! I am from the Northeast US and deli sandwiches (hoagies) are a staple in most diets. I was absolutely devastated when I learned that pregnant women can't have them. I made DH promise that he would bring one to the delivery room so that I could eat one first thing. 

Re: The foods/drinks/activities I miss most right now are....

• Holiday happy hours- I have missed Pinot Grigio pretty bad.
  • Loading the player...
  • @Bear14+ I'm so close to taking the risk for raw salmon. I really miss salmon sushi and poke! 
  • I eat everything except soft, unpasteurized cheeses...and let's be honest, I'm not so bougie that I am really feeling the pain there.  I am missing beer right now. I will have the occasional glass of wine, but the smell/taste of beer makes me cringe.  One of my favorite beers, Mad Elf, is at the store right now and I hate not partaking in a Christmas staple in our house. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • @julybaybay, eat the sandwich girl.  Have you ever met anyone in your life that's gotten sick from a deli sandwich? I haven't even heard it on the news.  That's all I could stomach during first tri with number 1. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Working out and eating my normal healthy diet!!! I haven’t had any protein for 5 weeks! Besides the occasional sushi. All I can eat is oatmeal and cereal and it feels sooo wrong. I also have been way to sick to go to my kickboxing gym and I can’t wait to feel better so I can get back at it! 
  • @bartonolivia, so much of this. Eating like garbage. I am so grossed out by my diet right now, but everything other than carbs grosses me out. I also was able to handle sushi, but most meats are off the menu. And it makes it worse that my kids are sort of suffering since I am not cooking like usual.
  • @ameliabedelia-2 yes!! My husband won’t cook for himself or the kids so everyone in this house is suffering. I can’t even make my kids quesadillas or a turkey sandwich without throwing up. So dinner isn’t getting made for my husband and my kids ah e gotten super easy things for the past few weeks. 

Oh I also miss a clean house!!! I can’t keep up with the cleaning and my husband won’t do that either. So I miss a clean house. 
  • I am literally eating a turkey sub while reading this.

Maybe it's because I'm a 4TM, but I will eat anything. I miss feeling good enough to stay up late.  Also, the thought of beer/wine is gross lately, but I'm sure I'll eventually miss it.
  • @bartonolivia, I call dinner a win for the kids, when I get something green on their plates. Chicken nuggets and green beans, mac n cheese w/broccoli. That's the extent of DHs cooking, so I am pushing the veggies to make myself feel less guilty. 
  • I miss having a big old glass of red wine!! 😭🍷
  • This week I miss sex! Pelvic rest for the unexplained bleeding last week. And I miss sleeping through the night. I'm starting to think this one might stick :) I haven't actually made it far enough to get past the soul deep tired to the soul deep tired and insomnia stage for a LLLLLLOOOOOONNNNNGGGGGGGG time :)

Food, definitely Sushi, but that is more because of money than abstinence. I miss eating the keto diet I was on literally until the day I got pregnant. Right now all meat except for burger and fried chicken strips (as long as I don't have to cook them) is the protein that sounds good to me. Give me all the carbs. I was the same way 1st trimester with my boys. 
  • I've been really wanting a turkey sub and I think y'all have convinced me to just go for it lol. Sushi sounds good too but I don't mind cooked or veggie sushi so I may just do that.....hey its an excuse for shrimp tempura which I never order!! 

What I miss most is not feeling like shit. Food is totally meh right now, I almost resent needing to eat. 
  • I skipped lunch meat and soft (pasteurized) cheeses my first pregnancy, but not this time around. I am more wary of pre cut fruit though.

I miss cocktails! I will have a half glass of red wine here and there with dinner and take one sip of my husband's beer when he gets something good but I miss going out for appetizers and a fun cocktail!

My diet is junk right now. I had ramen noodles and 2 Eggo waffles for lunch, because (ironically) that's what doesnt sound disgusting at the moment. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • mamanbebe said:
    @Bear14+ I'm so close to taking the risk for raw salmon. I really miss salmon sushi and poke! 
    @mamanbebe totally check with your OB and don't take my word for it, but my Dr. told me that raw salmon was okay to eat, as long as I knew where it came from and the restaurant was reputable and could say where the food came from, (i.e. not a gas station sushi). Salmon from certain areas has less chance of mercury. 
  • @ameliabedelia-2 lol! I appreciate the vote of confidence! But what I have read about it (trust me I researched because I thought it could not possibly be so) is that listeria from the meat often does not affect the adult host at all, and that we may have contracted it many times in the past and just not known or only had very mild symptoms (tummy ache). But when a pregnant woman gets it, even though she might not have symptoms, the baby gets the brunt of it and it can be very harmful to them. So that's the part that scares me and my OB reinforced that I should steer clear.   :(
  • @julybaybay Thanks for that, I will ask! We have a sushi and poke restaurant group here that sources all their fish from trusted and sustainable sources, so if I can get the OK from my midwives, I'll definitely be buying from them :) 
  • I also missed smoked salmon (like on a bagel with lox). Annnnnddd I miss not having to question every single thing I eat that someone else prepared, wondering if it contains raw eggs or soft cheese or some other taboo ingredient. 
  • I freaking miss coffee. I didn't cut it out because of caffeine but because it made me want to puke. Yay aversions.

I think the activity I miss the most is pooping normally. Even with stool softeners I'm not regular any more. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • I miss being able to eat healthy meals. I’ve only been able to eat junk/ chick fil a, and it’s really getting old and I feel so gross about it! 
  • @julybaybay My OB said if you get the craving for delimeat nuke it until it’s hot then throw it back in the fridge for a few hours and you can eat it.
  • I've been really wanting a turkey sub and I think y'all have convinced me to just go for it lol. Sushi sounds good too but I don't mind cooked or veggie sushi so I may just do that.....hey its an excuse for shrimp tempura which I never order!! 

What I miss most is not feeling like shit. Food is totally meh right now, I almost resent needing to eat. 
    @quinniebear great idea! I didn't even think about those other sushi options like tempura or veggie. That way we can still get the experience and flavors of the rice and seaweed wraps without the risk! And if we get dragged out with friends we can still find alternative options for ourselves! Especially if we haven't announced yet. 
  • I miss having energy to cook for myself. It's just exhausting standing over anything hot for too long. Being sick isn't helping.

And I'm with you @indulgentgypsy, I miss being intimate. Too sick, too tired, and my body also just hasn't responded the few times we tried early on.
  • I miss wine so much!!
  • jessg2223 said:
    @julybaybay My OB said if you get the craving for delimeat nuke it until it’s hot then throw it back in the fridge for a few hours and you can eat it.
    I've had the same advice from mine. As it was explained to me, the opportunity for contamination comes at the time of slicing the meats. Once you've heated the meat to steaming, the bacteria is killed off (or whatever the scientific verb is!), and then you can eat it while it's hot or refrigerate it for later. 
  • keebler6elfkeebler6elf member
    edited December 2018
    I miss being active... I so badly want to be up and moving around, but I just get tired so quickly. 
  • I eat almost ever thing and we went for sushi last night. I miss alcohol though and having energy. I’m normally so energetic and it’s been a much harder pregnancy than the past.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I eat almost ever thing and we went for sushi last night. I miss alcohol though and having energy. I’m normally so energetic and it’s been a much harder pregnancy than the past.

• I have no idea why it posted 3 times😩

• runner_dollrunner_doll member
    edited December 2018
    I miss running semi-regularly and sparkling wine! I'm not a fast runner by any means, but I enjoy the way it makes me feel stronger, especially when I can run a few times each week. I just have very little motivation right now, and nausea seems to be kicking in more this week than it has in past weeks. So, not eating + running isn't the best idea. I have been walking a couple miles around our neighborhood many nights after work, but prefer the sweat sesh and a little bit of a push running gives me.

Also, bubbles!! Love. Next week, we're doing Christmas day brunch at a place with unlimited bloody marys and mimosas, and I'm hoping they'll have non-alcoholic grape juice to mix in with the OJ. Ha, but now that I think about it, that combo sounds awful. Maybe I'll make my hubs get a mimosa just to have a sip!

ETA: Because, grammar.
  • I'm glad I'm not the only one with a poor excuse of a diet right now 😂 When we were TTC I was on a STRICT diet and in the best shape of my life. Now I'm all over the place. I'll get back on track after all these holiday festivities are over. Also on pelvic rest so I can't even try to burn off some calories with a workout!

Also missing sushi like the rest of y'all 🍱🥡🍥

@nopegoat I hear you with the coffee. I still want it every morning. But when I take a drink it tastes like dirt! Now I don't want it unless it's from Dunkin and loaded with cream and sugar 🤷‍♀️
  • The lack of alcohol is getting easier, but I still miss my after work, wind down drink. 

For the deli meat convo, I didn't realize how much deli meat was in my diet until I had to cut it out. I have had a few things with deli meat and just have cooked them to steaming, but generally steer clear.

I LOVE sushi, but my small town doesn't offer it. Better believe when I go to the city I'll be stuffing my face with that rice wrapped goodness.

To the sex convo, DH and I have been having lots of morning sex. I'm just too tired in the evening. Morning sex allows to keep our close connection and lets us both get off before the extreme fatigue sets in.
  • I eat pretty much everything, so there’s not much in that realm that I’m sad about. 
    I miss having energy both the natural and the caffeinated varieties. 
    I miss sleeping through the night. 
    My skinny jeans. 

My sex drive has seen an uptick in the last couple days- morning sex frw; although admittedly more tricky with a preschooler around. Thank god for cartoons. 

• Im constantly on IV or very simple foods lately & all foods gross me out 😢
    horrible diet, horrible feeling.
    I missed having orange & tangerine as i have to avoid for my bad acid reflux.
    i dont miss alcohol & coffee yet & its so weird...

i had a susage sanwich on sunday & got diarrhea 🤦🏻‍♀️   
  • @ameliabedelia-2 same! I’m exhausted and/or feeling sick most of the time. We also haven’t had sex in a VERY LONG time. I feel like I’ve been in survival mode trying to get myself to work and not have to skip. That has been an accomplishment in itself lol
  • Wine.  And beer.  I've been having small glasses every now and then since about 10.5 weeks that I'll sip slowly over 2 hours, but I miss being able to order a bottle of wine with dinner or drink a few beers while watching basketball.
  • @literatureandink yesssss Prosecco! Ahhhhhh now I want some so bad! 🥂