August 2019 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday, 12/13

2»

Re: Unpopular Opinion (UO) Thursday, 12/13

• Options
    @smmatt08 it’s cool. I bump from my phone so often make unintended spelling errors
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I truly don't understand why people name their baby something with the intent to call them by a nickname from birth. I.e., if you're going to name your kid Elizabeth but will call her Lizzie or Beth, why not just...name her Lizzie or Beth?
    The only exception would be if you're carrying on a name, i.e., John Robert Smith II. 
    Flame away.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ElcaB I kind of get it . The name I have picked for a boy, Malachi, is a bit of a mouthful for a toddler. Kai is a much easier to pronounce diminutive, but I like Malachi for its meaning. As far as my girl name, Kaia goes, there's no need for the Kai diminutive, and I don't plan to use it, but my family might since they're big on nicknames.
  • Options
    I think it also gives the kid options as it gets older to change it up. My cousin Elizabeth was Zaba her entire childhood and now goes by Liz. 

We’re liking Ulysses, but it’s kind of a mouth full so would most likely use Uly or Lee more than the full name, but I love the full name.
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    BigBadWolf12BigBadWolf12 member
    edited December 2018
    We named my son an English name with a nickname that works well in Swedish (we currently live in Sweden,  but probably won't forever), so he can choose later whether to stick with the Swedish nick name or go long name or English nick name (which is a variant of the Swedish nick name anyways)

Eta @elcab it thought the same as you for the longest time and then moved to a non-English country and liked being able to merge the languages a bit in his name :)

TTGP history (*TW*):

Started TTC Oct 2015
    BFP #1 June 2016: EDD 16 March 2017, MC July 2016
    Re-started TTC Aug 2016
    Started IF testing Nov 2016
    Spontaneous BFP #2 January 2017: Rainbow Baby Boy September 2017
    BFP #3 November 2018: Baby #2 expected August 2019

• Options
    edited December 2018
    @ElcaB We don't intend to primarily call kids by the nickname. However, we know others might. So we try to consider what nicknames would likely be, and if we hate a nickname, we rule that name out. 
    For instance, I really like the name Patrick. But neither Pat nor Rick (most likely shortened versions) individually appeal to me. So no Patrick for us. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @ElcaB We planned our girls nicknames before they were born, but their names are also 10 letters long (Evangeline and Wilhelmina). We still call them by their full name, but use the nicknames as well (and family primarily uses nicknames). Our almost 3 year old struggles to say her own name (Uh-jannj-uh-jean), but says her sisters perfectly. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I totally have a soapbox rant about nicknames too! I just don’t get it! 🤷🏼‍♀️