August 2019 Moms
Options

GTKY: Favorite book of all time

I have noticed we have a lot of readers in our group: so what is everyone’s all time favorite book/recommendations on must reads!

BabyFruit Ticker}

Re: GTKY: Favorite book of all time

• Options
    My favorite book is the Other Boleyn Girl by Phillipa Gregory. I also love Wuthering Heights and am a major Harry Potter nerd!
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    So I haven’t read it in a while, but my favorite is Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver. I also absolutely loved Inverted World by Christopher Priest.

and as a gtky: Huge HP fan forever and always
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    TTC #1 5/13 BFP #3 5/2/14 DD born 1/19/15
    NTNP #2 8/17 BFP 12/13/18 ED 8/21/19
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 The Poisonwood Bible is one of my all-time favs, I gift that book at least every couple of years. 

My favorite classic is Great Expectations by Charles Dickens. 

A younger read but an old fav is Molly Donnelly by Jean Thesman. 

As as a teen I really like Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel. 

i wish I had more time for reading now, it has been years since I’ve read a great book. I get the cheap downloads for flights now, but nothin g good lately. 

• Options
    Ohhhh good topic!

Fiction: A Storm of Swords in the Song of Ice and Fire series (although I do love them all!)

Non-Fiction: The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks

Currently reading: Expecting Better (what else would I be reading? ha!)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    LOVED The MemoryKeeper's Daughter from a million years ago.  It's one of my all-time faves that I've read over and over.  <3

I also loved Rachel Hollis' book Girl, Wash Your Face.  Totally basic, but it really helped me to give myself a kick in the ass and stop dwelling on a lot of negative things in my head.
  • Options
    @olivemomma Have you Phillipa Gregory's other books? I really enjoy her and spent a solid few years where I pretty much only read her books. 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    The Awakening is my all time fav (from hs).

My fav I read this year was The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah. 

i look forward to when I’m not falling asleep early and can dive back into reading 2nd and 3rd trimester! 
  • Options
    My favorite of all time is A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving. I keep meaning to read it again but I am already pretty emotional and am always a wreck when I finish the book.

My favorite read this year: I chewed through all the Sookie Stackhouse/True Blood books this year. Not very intellectual but definitely fun!

Currently reading: 11/22/63 by Stephen King. I'm not usually a King fan but my friend who is a librarian was like "You must read this book!" and I'm halfway through and she was right, it is really good!! 

I work for a school system so I am looking forward to being 8-9 months pregnant over the summer so I have an excuse to just lay on the couch and read a ton of books!!!
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 yes I have read quite a few of her books but I found the rest to be pretty disappointing. 
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    Harry Potter forever!!!!

But my favorite series I've read as an adult is the Lilith's Brood trilogy by Octavia Butler. I love everything by her.
  • Options
    @heml oh my gosh I LOVED The Great Alone. I adore Kristin Hannah!

@drmrsthecounselor I’m a huge King fan — he’s my favorite author. 11/22/63 is the best thing he’s written in decades. It’s so good!

FORMER USERNAME: @runningisrad

• Options
    It’s impossible for me to pick my favorite book, but here are some of my all-time faves:

- Harry Potter series
    - The Dark Tower series
    - 11/22/63 by Stephen King
    - Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton

Faves I Read This Year:

- Sing, Unburied, Sing by Jesmyn Ward
    - Circe by Madeline Miller
    - The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager
    - The Great Alone by Kristin Hannah

• Options
    The Sevenwaters series by Juliet Marillier! 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    I love The Phantom Tollbooth by Norton Juster. My teacher read it to us in 6th grade (ish) and I just love the imagination in it. 
    I also love the Harry Potter series, Stephen King, Michael Crichton and the Jack Reacher series.
  • Options
    Franny and Zooey by JD Salinger is a big one. The first time I read it was at a time in my life I really needed the message. I used to reread it once a year, but it has been a while now. Like you, @drmrsthecounselor, it kind of makes me a mess when I read it, so I don't know that I'll read it any time soon. 
  • Options
    Possibly a tie between The Little Prince & Brave New World. I haven't read BNW in years but I enjoyed it enough to read it multiple times throughout school. 

Also a big HP fan, and love Jodi Picoult novels. I want so badly to love the Song of Ice & Fire series but I'm stuck on the 4th book. I feel like they got really slow compared to the TV series. 

@Lotus_2008 I read Expecting Better & loved the easy stats. It made me feel a lot less anxious. 
  • Options
    @aevan011 I love The Little Prince! 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @aevan011 omg I love Brave New World!!

1984 has always been my favorite book, but it's a little scary right now and i sit up at night thinking about it constantly. 

Also a huge HP nerd and trying to get DS1 into HP. I have the illustrated ones for him, but he's a ballbuster and refuses so we're reading a lot of Captain Underpants at the moment, which is just ...super.
  • Options
    Harry Potter forever but I have rarely met a book I didn’t like
  • Options
    I think I may cry if my kids don’t love HP as much as I do
    BabyFruit Ticker}
  • Options
    I think going to Wizarding World - even at 20w prego in JULY - is right up there with my wedding day 😂
    I legit got emotional - and I don’t think it was hormones. 
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 @aevan011 MH and I went to HP World last month, and I agree so emotional and magical. We stood around imagining how freaking cool it would be to come as an obsessed HP tween of us 30 somethings were that overwhelmed 
  • Options
    well, add me to the list. I love some HP. I re-read all of the books again this year. I think that was the 7th time. They helped me through all of the shots with IVF. I've also been listening to the Binge Mode HP podcast. 

@aevan011 For A Song of Ice and Fire, have you seen the lists where you alternate between books 4 and 5, so you keep the timeline and can jump between characters? I've started it that way, but got distracted. I plan to finish them before the last season starts. 

@heml I agree it is just magical. I'd love to experience it through the eyes of a little one.

@drmrsthecounselor I've wanted to read 11/22/63 for a long time. It's been on my kindle forever. I need to make a point to read it after your review.

TTC#1 10/2016
    TTC/IF:included medicated cycles, IUIs and 2 rounds of IVF with 1 embryo each. 
    BFP finally in 12/2018

TTC#2 06/2021
    planning FET

"Some days are diamonds, some days are rocks,
    some doors are open, some roads are blocked" 

• Options
    @Avrilmai I'll letcha know how it is after I'm done! I'm about 60% through now.

And to everyone in wonder and awe with HP stuff....I live in Orlando and go all the time and it still gives me chills sometimes! I'm much more of a Disney fan though...I can't make it through a fireworks show without crying, and that's when I'm not pregnant lol
  • Options
    The wizarding world is awesome! We have been several times, and 10/10 would recommend over Disney world. 
    Rainbow baby Dean is due 2/17/17!
  • Options
    @Avrilmai I have not seen those lists, but that sounds so much better than the first half of book 4, I’ll have to try again, thanks! 

@drmrsthecounselor jealous! I don’t really want to live in Florida or California but I do envy those who can go all the time. I’m a huge Disney fan, too. We took that trip and did both. Such a great vacay...being an adult made me love it more. 
  • Options
    So I'm part of a group that works for social justice in our community here, and in October we put on a Harry Potter-themed event to promote our school literacy initiative for 2019. Y'all it was so magical. We had a Sorting Hat, themed booths, characters... it was so fun! https://www.facebook.com/pg/momsforsocialjustice/photos/?tab=album&album_id=931366923726277

• Options
    There’s a bar by me doing Hogs Head: A Harry Potter Pop Up on the 30th with some HP-inspired drinks. I was so excited to go and now that I’m pregnant, I’m missing out 
    Me 31  <3  DH 34
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @aevan011 I've lived in Florida all my life and in the Orlando area for the last 10 years and I wouldn't trade our horrible drivers, crazy weather, and unlimited trips to theme parks for anything lol
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 aaaggghhhh nooooo! Could you still go and enjoy the ambiance? Maybe they could make you some non-alcoholic drinks?

• Options
    EmilyA724EmilyA724 member
    edited December 2018
    @runningisrad I’m definitely considering it. But I’m also a huge introvert so you know...probably won’t... but I did already buy myself this shirt. Might just wear it on my own, put on one of the movies, and find a recipe for non-alcoholic butterbeer 

Me 31  <3  DH 34
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @EmilyA724 omg I love the shirt!

• Options
    I’m watching a HP marathon right now! The books will always be my favorites. I highly recommend The Storyteller’s Secret by Sejal Badani. Such a great read! 
  • Options
    I’m a huge bookworm and had a book blog for a while. If I don’t read for a while every night, I feel unsettled. I cannot pick a favorite book but Jodi Picoult is definitely my favorite author!
  • Options
    @purplg8r yesss! I love everything I’ve read from Jodi Picoult. Definitely one of my favorites too.
  • Options
    What an awesome thread! I’m an academic in the humanities so most of my reading is serious classical stuff, but for comfort rereading I always turn to Harry Potter, LM Montgomery (who wrote Anne of Green Gables and a zillion other series I reread periodically), and Terry Pratchett. 

In recent years I loved the Neapolitan Novels series by Elena Ferrante (they just started the TV series on HBO), and this year I loved There There by Tommy Orange. 
  • Options
    The Alchemist is one of my favorites. Joining the HP club as well. Currently reading Origin by Dan Brown whenever time permits. Trying to get my 2 yr old to love books as much as I do.