April 2019 Moms

Baby larger than expected??

Hi! I just had my 20 week ultrasound and the results came back normal. The only thing they noted was that the baby was measuring larger than expected and I have to go back in 4 weeks for a repeat anatomy ultrasound. This would kind of explain the few pounds i’ve Gained in the past month despite no change in my balanced diet (I was pretty good during thanksgiving!!) and the fact that I still workout. Is this a possible growth spurt or should I be concerned with gestational diabetes?

Re: Baby larger than expected??

• edited December 2018
    This would probably be a good question for your doctor. There are many many things that could cause a big baby outside of gestational diabetes. Is there any specific reason you would think it could be diabetes related? Do you or your partner have a family history of large babies?

Side note- i have gestational diabetes and my baby is like 48% percentile.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • khamm90khamm90 member
    edited December 2018
    I’ve just read that larger than average may mean a sign of gestational diabetes but I guess that isn’t always the case!

i have been trying to get in contact with my doctor but I haven’t heard back from them. Both husband and I were both pretty small and both families have small to average sized babies (I was 5 pounds, he was 6).

i was told I weigh 2 pounds over what i’m Supposed to be and baby is measuring about 2 weeks so maybe it’s just a due date thing. I hope this means he can come a little early! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Did you have an early dating ultrasound? Are you sure about your dates? 2 weeks is a big difference. Did they state a gestational age on the ultrasound? Mine gave age by LMP, age by adjusted due date via Us at 13 weeks and age based on current fetal size & data.

Like i said this could be something else entirely but that would probably be best determined via comparable data, like an ultrasound now and one in a couple weeks. But your doc would know best what could potentially be the cause or what course of action (if any) is even necessary.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
  • I make big babies. DD was 9 lbs, 1 oz and DS was 9 lbs 11 oz. Both were a week late. 6 and 3 years later they are a completely healthy weight for their height. I did not/do not have gestational diabetes and this LO is measuring about a week ahead at the 20 week ultrasound. My doctor isn't worried about it but will watch LOs growth more carefully. She has mentioned she might induce me a bit earlier than normal if it looks like I have another 9lb+ on the way. I did have some physical injuries during DS's delivery which we want to avoid this time around. 
  • Hey knottie! I had a 24 week scan today and my baby was measuring mostly 26 weeks. The tech said it was within the margin of error, I assume because it’s difficult to catch everything at the perfect angle and measure all the right pixels and no more. 

I wouldn’t assume too much with your extra two pounds at the drs office. My choice of winter clothing, time of day, water recently consumed, boots, etc all contribute to a swing of about 4 lbs on a daily basis. 
  • Adjusted Age after they finished averaged out to 21 weeks 0 days, and based on LMP it was 20 weeks 3 days. I kept seeing the measurements at 21/22 weeks. I go back for a follow up in 4 weeks.

I’m sure it will all be clearer in the coming weeks. I’ll update if I can remember to (I have had the worst pregnancy brain). Thanks!!
  • Consider switching your username to something more recognizable so we remember who you are when you update!
  • Did you doctor say it was concerning? At 20w1d our boys were in the 21w+ measurements for almost all their measurements and neither the MFM or my OB seem worried. I wouldn’t think a difference of 20w3 days and 21w would be much to worry about. 
  • MFM said my baby was big too (90%) for 20 +1. Saw my OB later that day and we are going to so the gestational diabetes test at 24 weeks instead of 28 but he's not too worried.  DD was born at 37+6 full term so maybe this baby will be early too.
  • The doctor does not seem concerned about it. They said it was common. I tend to be an overthinker  😂
  • @khamm90 so normal to overthink! Glad your doc isn't worried and you can have peace of mind.
    Me & DH ~ 32
    Married 7/6/13

EDD 2/5/21

DD 4/19
  • FWIW...with #1 from 23 weeks on I measured 2 weeks ahead, fundal and by US.  Tested neg for gestational diabetes and he came at 38+3 at 8lbs even.  
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• I’m in the same boat. I had a scan done at 24w6d and the baby was already estimated to be at 2 lbs 3 oz. they told me it could be gestational diabetes. But my 1st baby was 9 lbs 8 oz and I was 11 lbs 1 oz when I was born. So I’m just wondering if it’s just genetics coming back to bite me. 
  • khamm90khamm90 member
    edited January 2019
    Update! I had a repeat anatomy and baby is measuring at almost 26 weeks (today I am 24 weeks 6 days) and based on the measurements he weighs 1 lb 13 oz. everything is on target, except for limbs (arms and legs) are measuring in the 80th percentile. My husband has fairly long arms and legs and I have long legs so maybe that has something to do with it 😂. It doesn’t seem like it is anything to worry about, baby is just taking after us. 
  • FWIW DS was big and measuring ahead most of my pregnancy and people regularly thought I was having multiples. They had me take the 1 hr GD test 3 or 4 times to just keep checking if I had GD. I didnt. DS came out PERFECTLY healthy at 40+1 via C-section at 10lb 8 oz! But always keep checking in with your doctor. They'll stay on top of it in case it could be a sign of GD. But it doesn't necessarily mean anything negative!
  • So at 25w they told me baby was big, 2 lbs 3 oz. but on the outside I’m measuring right on schedule. GD test was negative. I think I just make big babies. I myself, was 11 lbs 1 oz at birth and my son was 9 lbs 8 oz. I think this kid is just going to be a big boy... I’m hoping to deliver vaginally but that might be painful but I delivered my 9 lb 8 oz son vaginally without any tears so fingers crossed for the same luck.