April 2019 Moms

STM+ Check In w/o 12/12

How far along are you? How big is baby? 

How many kids do you already have? 

How are your other kids doing this week? 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? 

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it?

Re: STM+ Check In w/o 12/12

• How far along are you? How big is baby? 
    24+1/cantaloupe

DD is 1.5

Total chaos agent. Mostly a cheerful one, especially now that we’re back on a nap schedule. The three days without were meltdown city (half DD’s, half mommy’s).

We have the 18 mo well baby check up today and I am stoked because we are going to see a ton of catch-up growth on the height/weight charts (she started at <.001%). Almost out of preemie designation for medical purposes!

Small rant: I desperately need a haircut and I know DH is going to bitch if I ask him to take her for an hour and a half when he wants to do something else. Seriously considering asking a friend if she will watch DD for me just to avoid that.

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it?

screen time - ha! I use my phone a ton, we keep the tv on frequently (often music), and DD knows how to operate both. I don’t feel too bad...it’s not like we’re ignoring her. And she’s obsessed with electricity and turning things on/off.
    21+6/baseball hat/endive

4 year old DD 

Well she threw a remote at me over the weekend...so bad. She’s got a serious attitude that we are working on. 

I’m just super tired this week. Money stress and DH job stress and holiday stress can kiss my ass. 

im going to have to copy @lyse01
    We are pretty bad at the screen time thing. My DH loves TV and he is one of those people who needs the background noise, so it’s on a lot. Although she doesn’t have a tablet and I have no intention of getting her one any time soon. I do feel a little bad about it, but things are very different then when I was growing up and these days if you aren’t super familiar with them you are at a loss. So I’m not sure it’s practical or possible to keep them entirely away from it. But I’ve been trying to balance it with more hands on building type toys and stuff. 
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

Me:32 DH:33 Married:04/2012 DD:07/2014 
     BFP 8/14/2018 #2 due 4/18/2019
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
    22+2, I think a guinea pig was the animal for this week.

6 y/o DD

All about dat Christmas hype around here. I swear, we aren't even BIG Christmas people & keep things really simple, but it's still infectious and overexciting.

I woke up this morning to a flat belly button, lol. Just overnight. Also, I've been crying all the time lately and I hate it.

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it? My DD has coslept since birth and I don't really plan on changing that. 🤷 I also don't feel any need to work on academics with her yet, despite her being kindergarten aged. I don't really care, no.

BabyFetus Ticker image
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 22w3d - coconuts

How many kids do you already have? DS - 3.5

How are your other kids doing this week? Sunday was an absolute garbage shit show, but he has been SO MUCH BETTER since then. Monday night we did crafts and last night we watched Octonauts (my FAVE kid's show) and colored. Plus - a couple weeks ago he was having a bunch of accidents at night out of nowhere, and he's back to staying dry all night.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I'm getting SO annoyed by not having names for these boys yet. Naming DS was so much easier. 

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it? Getting my kid on a schedule. A regular schedule never really emerged. Granted, on school nights I try to have him in bed by 8:30, but we've been real flexible basically since birth. Never left some place to be home in time for nap (he was also a champion car napper) or avoided things that may mess with bedtime on occasion. I don't feel bad for it currently, but I imagine things will be different with twins. I doubt we will have the same level of freedom. 

Also, like @thatbaintforbetty and @lyse01, he gets a lot of screen time in the form of TV. Not a lot of tablet because he gets TOO sucked into that, but the TV is on probably 50% of the time that we're at home. Most of the time he will be doing other things while it's on - building with blocks, looking at books, doing some sort of craft, but sometimes like last night he will just sit and vege. And IMO, he's at DC/school for just as long as I'm at work. I can't blame him for wanting to just zone out now and again. He gets a ton of stimulation all day. Kick your feet up and watch Octonauts my little buddy.

(Sorry apparently I'm VERY wordy today)
  • How far along are you? How big is baby
    21+6... as big as a baseball hat or endive (not gonna lie, I have no idea what that is)

DD is 3 years old.

She's currently boycotting sleep, so that's fun. Otherwise, she's great.

Between DD and baby, I'm getting practically no sleep. Something's gotta give.

We're also terrible at limiting screen time. She's usually playing or doing something else while the TV is on, but it is almost always on. I do closely monitor what she watches though, so I don't really feel bad about it.
  • @MRDCle We've never really had a schedule either. Between living with my parents when she was born to living with my MIL for a year and a half, they are just aren't schedule type people. Most things are done last minute, and it drove me nuts. I'm really hoping that we'll be able to actually get some sort of schedule with this one, and also once DD starts school in the fall. I feel like our lives just haven't been very conducive to not only setting but keeping one, and while our flexibility has helped us in a lot of ways i wonder what things might have been easier had we been on the other foot.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• How far along are you? How big is baby? 22 +3  size of a bag half a dozen bagels

How many kids do you already have? 3 

How are your other kids doing this week? They are good! 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Feeling pretty much today! And tired! 

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it? We violated screen time for sure as well! And no I don't feel bad :) 
  • How far along are you? How big is baby?  21+4 - Piranha (LOL)

How many kids do you already have? 1 DD - 2.5 y/0

How are your other kids doing this week? She's good. I'm getting slightly tired of the constant meltdowns about everything. She talks nonstop so I don't understand why when she gets upset, she forgets how to use her words. 

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? Rave is how well she's doing with potty training. I'm done with Christmas shopping except some stocking stuffers. Rant is the back/hip pain from sleeping at night.

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it? We are 50/50 on TV. I grew up having it on even if we weren't watching it and like having background noise (I have twin brothers and my house was never quiet growing up). To be different, we aren't super crazy about her diet. No, we don't stuff her full of sugar and she gets well rounded meals every day (her favorite food is chicken nuggets and green beans) but we also don't freak out if she has sweets from time to time or whatnot. One thing we don't allow is soda. It baffles me how many people let their kids drink canS of soda!
  • Sammmme @mrstmoose re: food. He'll eat broccoli and farro and salmon, but kid is still working his way through his Halloween candy one piece at a time. He generally prefers fruit over candy, but in general we're "everything in moderation" kind of people. Also, DH let him have some sprite at some disc golf event they went to together maybe a month ago and that was definitely his first taste of soda. We just don't really keep it around and if I have a Diet Coke, I'm not sharing. 
  • How far along are you? How big is baby?  23w2d - bunch of grapes

How many kids do you already have? 1DD 2yo

How are your other kids doing this week? I haven't seen her this week but I know that she had a good time with grandma yesterday after daycare. I am so so so excited to finally get home to see her today after 12 long days of being away from the family. Only 7 more hours to go!

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I'm stressing about work tomorrow and I know I shouldn't be. I'm just ready for a day off. I haven't had a day off between civilian and military since Thanksgiving. I'm exhausted and ready for Saturday.

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it? Honestly it's probably the whole cereal/oatmeal/diet thing. I exclusively breastfed for 6 months then went to more of a BLW approach other than purees. We skipped the cereal thing altogether which blew my parents minds. I don't feel bad at all, I loved breastfeeding and didn't wean until she was 14 months. Also, she is a picky eater with somethings but for the most part she'll eat anything which is a blessing for a toddler.

• @MRDCle , it took us a lot longer to pick a name for this LO than DS.  Are there any options you're leaning towards?  (I should go stalk the name thread, you've probably already posted there.)  We ended up going with a longer version of a name we liked but weren't sold on, and it feels right.

Also right there with you on the schedule thing.  DH usually does bedtime, and while sometimes I wish he would try to be more strict about it, it's also nice to occasionally go to a friend's house, stick DS in front of a movie, and know that it won't be a complete disaster if he stays up til 9 or 10.

@mrstmoose , same here regarding food!  DH definitely allows more sweets than I do, but I don't think our kid has ever had soda (unless it was mixed with lemonade/punch for Thanksgiving or something).

How far along are you? How big is baby? 23 weeks today, a chinchilla :lol: .

How many kids do you already have? One 4yo DS.

How are your other kids doing this week? He randomly got a cold/sore throat Monday, and today he's thrown up twice (I think just from mucus and the gross sore throat feeling).  He's acting better today, but it's days like this that make me wish I was a SAHM or that I could take off work for the day without feeling guilty.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? I woke up with DS's sore throat as well, so feeling blah.  But one of our friends surprised us by bringing soft pretzels since she knows we're both sick!  She's the sweetest and I'm glad to have friends like her.

Putting him in preschool, although not really sure anyone recommended that so much as asked me constantly about it when he turned 3.  We homeschool, and I have no plans to put him in public school unless he decides to try it out when he's older (where we are currently doesn't have the best school district, and I work evenings so I would never see him during the week).  I was homeschooled and loved it, and I'm hoping DH keeps seeing the positives and doesn't change his mind that public school is better.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @angelob88 no cereal here either! Our pedi said in our situation there was really no benefit. We did do oatmeal eventually but in a bowl, never anything in a bottle. Modified BLW worked great for us.
  • +1 for also not really doing cereal. We did oatmeal for awhile but then went to BLW. 
  • I’m really loving oatmeal as a tool to teach DD how to scoop with a spoon. Never put any solids in a bottle though.
  • mrstmoose said:
    +1 for also not really doing cereal. We did oatmeal for awhile but then went to BLW. 
    This was us as well. I actually think we started oatmeal around when we did BLW. She seemed pretty meh about it so it was kinda whatever.
    this is my backup acct.
    prevously helloblueeyes

• @kangstadt I plan to homeschool too, but for me it’s not against advice because everyone in my life supports it. lol. 

20+5, banana sized. Anatomy scan today and he was measuring 14oz. 

DD. 20mos

She’s doing well. She’s been cranky but still has been taking longer naps the last few days which has been SO NICE. 

Rant: gas pains thanks to mild constipation. So much heartburn. 
    Rave: so grateful for good news at the a/s this morning. 

GTKY: I never thought I would cosleep, but DD would NOT sleep without being touched her first six months. We transferred her to crib at that time, using a modified, gentler CIO when I also didn’t think I’d do CIO in any form. But I was struggling mentally and emotionally at that point from sleep deprivation and it worked well for us. She learned quickly so it was over with quickly. She continued to wake a few times a night but it was consistent and improved over time. I say, do what you gotta. 
  • How far along are you? How big is baby? 22w1d, coconut

How many kids do you already have? 5 yo DD, 3 yo DS

How are your other kids doing this week? DS has gotten super clingy lately. He is coming to our bed every night wanting to snuggle. He is doesn't want to nap on the weekends because he is worried I will leave while he is a sleep. I am happy to snuggle him at night. In fact it is one of my favorite things, but now that I'm pregnant I have a hard enough time getting sleep and I am having a hard time falling back asleep after he comes to bed. I am debating just getting a king sized bed so there is more room but DH isn't on board.

Rants/Raves? Concerns/Questions? So excited for Christmas!! Just a little over a week left of work before we head home for the holidays for an extended vacation. I am so looking forward to it!!

GTKY: what’s a parenting recommendation that you’ve completely disregarded, and do you feel bad about it? I am certain it is not a current parenting recommendation but we have refused to raise our children the way DH was raised with total dominating authority. Honestly I don't like my children spending much time with my ILs for this reason. They are constantly ordering them around and incessantly correcting behavior that I really don't think needs "correcting." Not only that but they interfere with our parenting since we are obviously not doing it right. DH and I are on the same page and while we enforce firm boundaries we explain why we have made the rules the way they are. We are also open to discussion and negotiation with our kids if they can make a good argument for changing the rules. We also make sure to admit mistakes and ask our kids for forgiveness if we do something wrong. So basically treating our kids like people we respect rather than subjects to command.

+1 for too much screen time and skipping cereal for BLW.

• @HGRich, yay, fellow homeschooling mama!  It's definitely not the normal here, but most of my family and friends are very supportive of homeschooling also.  I just had to convince DH that our child wouldn't be a socially stunted kid or something without public school :tongue:.  Our son is the most outgoing extroverted 4yo I've ever met.  It drives me nuts sometimes, haha.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @kangstadt haha! In my experience the ratio of awkward to sociable is only the slighest bit higher among homeschooled kids than not. If anything they’re more awkward with their peers but can have very good conversations with adults. I was homeschooled through middle school and then private schooled. DH was homeschooled all the way. We both liked it and both did great in college so we figure we’ll try it with our kids. Looking forward to it.