February 2019 Moms

Gestational Diabetes December

Re: Gestational Diabetes December

• Made cupcakes with the kiddo last night. Damn frosting. I don’t normally have a sweet tooth but I WANT ONE.
  • Ughhh that sucks! I’m not normally a huge sweets person either but just know I can’t have it makes me want something!

I'm so sick of string cheese and peanut butter.
  • Loading the player...
  • Well I just figured out that if I eat cauliflower fried “rice” for lunch I can have whatever I want with it. I ate a Starbucks cake pop while finishing cooking it and got a 106. Chicken breast, eggs, and veggies. 

Going to DH’s company Christmas party tonight. Dinner buffet. Last year the hors d'oeuvres were bacon wrapped Brussels sprouts. It’d be great if that’s what it was again. 
  • Yeah I watched my DH eat a cranberry bliss bar from Starbucks and I've never been so jealous.

I also am getting tired of cheese and peanut butter.  :s  I can't wait to not worry about this anymore. 
  • Cranberry Bliss bars are one of my few favorite sweets. I think I’m going to try making Keto cheesecake, I’ve heard good things. For some reason I think my form of nesting currently is baking. I’ve decided I need to make cookies today. I might be a glutton for torture.
  • Question: How often do you ladies test? With my first, I did 4 times a day: fasting and 2 hours after each meal. This time, I was doing the same, but noticed my test strips say 3 times a day. I called to see if they can change it and they said they actually only want me testing 2 max 3 times a day since I'm not on medication and they can increase if my numbers start creeping up. I'd rather be more cautious than not and test 4 times a day to be sure, but they won't change the prescription. 
  • I was told to test twice a day, fasting and after one meal (as long as I rotated which meal I tested). I have gone on insulin and they haven’t changed the Rx, but I’m testing 4 times because it makes me feel more comfortable. I haven’t had a problem getting more strips, yet....
  • I don’t know how more slender ladies can get their insulin injections in their bellies until they deliver. I’ve got PLENTY of belly fat and I still am having a few issues. That’s going to be a nice bruise tomorrow. 
  • I don’t know how more slender ladies can get their insulin injections in their bellies until they deliver. I’ve got PLENTY of belly fat and I still am having a few issues. That’s going to be a nice bruise tomorrow. 
    I'm with you here. I've got plenty of belly fat and lately for some reason I'm struggling with injection.
  • Also I'll add that I test 4 times a day.  
  • Oh this could be interesting. Just opened my last of three bottles of insulin on my current prescription and thought to order more. I’m not eligible to reorder for 19 more days. I have 18 of my current doses in that bottle. And I’m on the edge of that going up.  :#
  • ughh that's no fun. Maybe your dr can work something out for you?
  • That’s what I’m hoping. They did that prescription when I was on 5 units. Not 54. Yikes.
  • Had my last dietician appointment. Still will be emailing her my sugars every week but at least I don't need to physically go back. I have enough with the bazillion other appointments that I have starting the 27th. 

So far still only needing insulin at bedtime. I'll be jumping to 60 units tonight to get my numbers lower. They just keep staying the same when adjusting slower so we figured giving it a booster might help. Crossing my fingers. I would love to go to my next appointment and have those under control. Meals are still great with diet only so at least there is that. 
  • @Venessa88 going up slowly to that high is for the birds! I went up every 3 days for 100000000 doses. That got old. It’s so nice to only have to be in contact with the diabetes nurses once a week now. I’ve been on 54 units and it staying down for 3-4 weeks now. I’ve had two random 100-102 fasting readings so I’m sure I’ll be at 60 at some point. 
  • @madreofdragons It's good that it's been steady.  Mine have been on average somewhere in between 90-104.. Basically floating that range. They have me adjusting my insulin if I'm not below 90 though so essentially I'm always adjusting lately.   Keeping my fingers crossed this does the trick.  

I'm hoping that if I can get everything under control and that all my MFM U/S and NST look good that I'll be able to convince my OB to let me go a bit beyond 39 weeks.I was induced at 39 weeks last time and although all went great, I'd love to go into labor on my own.  I'm really not holding my breath though.  I will likely be induced at 39 weeks.

Also adding that I googled the conversion for blood sugars since we use mmol/L instead of mg/dL.  :D:p  It was WAY easier than I thought it might be.
  • My fasting didn’t budge for months until it finally did. I really didn’t think it ever would. Hope 60 does the trick.

• Hi everyone! I did my glucose test at 28 weeks (OB does standard 2 hr instead of 1). I missed the 2nd draw by under 10 points (is that the right term?) and just found out about it Friday, when I hit 33 weeks. Apparently, the lab marked everything as “normal findings”. Anyways, I met with the gestational diabetes counselor Friday and am doing monitoring for one week, as my diet wasn’t usually too high in carbs (except holiday seasons). Today was my second full day of testing, I do 4x a day too, and all my numbers were high today even though I ate the exact same things as yesterday, which gave me below range numbers. The only thing I did different was test using my right hand versus left. I just did my last test tonight with my left and it was low!!  Has anyone ever experienced this???? 
  • kenishi said:
    Hi everyone! I did my glucose test at 28 weeks (OB does standard 2 hr instead of 1). I missed the 2nd draw by under 10 points (is that the right term?) and just found out about it Friday, when I hit 33 weeks. Apparently, the lab marked everything as “normal findings”. Anyways, I met with the gestational diabetes counselor Friday and am doing monitoring for one week, as my diet wasn’t usually too high in carbs (except holiday seasons). Today was my second full day of testing, I do 4x a day too, and all my numbers were high today even though I ate the exact same things as yesterday, which gave me below range numbers. The only thing I did different was test using my right hand versus left. I just did my last test tonight with my left and it was low!!  Has anyone ever experienced this???? 
    I have never noticed a difference based on which hand I use.  I find it super important to wash my hands before testing, this can make a big difference.  Also sometimes certain foods will agree with your sugars and then they just don't, also your activity level and even stress level can have an effect on your sugars too.  I would say that likely your high targets are because of a little less activity, or something else but probably not the hand you used. 
  • @Venessa88 I thought it might be kind of weird for different hands to give different readings. I was a little less active yesterday as I wasn't feeling too great so that may have contributed to the higher numbers. I've been using the little alcohol prep packets when I'm out and not close to a sink to wash my hands. The counselor mentioned that just regular hand sanitizer  can impact readings too, so she said to be sure to wash/rinse my hands or use an alcohol pad. This is all so new and sudden for me, it is a lot to digest. Do you have to do the fetal monitoring as well?

Thanks for responding :) It was very helpful!
  • @kenishi I just started, too, and my left hand is lower. My theory is I am right hand dominant so after I wash my hands I am likely to touch more things (the monitor, the needle casibg, the test strip bottle) before I do the test. I am going to try not letting a specific finger touch anything after washing to see if that helps  :)
  • @glitterbug6 how interesting! I am also right hand dominant as well. I might try doing that too. My appointment is this Friday, so I'll ask the Diabetic Counselor if she has ever heard of this.
  • @kenishi I start having regular fetal monitoring this week. Ill be going every 2 weeks until 36 weeks and then once a week for the rest of the time.  
  • @kenishi It seems like my numbers on both hands are matching up now that I make sure whatever finger I am going to prick doesn't touch anything after I wash my hands! I don't know it is a coincidence or not but it makes me feel better  :p I am also noticing that taking a walk after I eat does help the numbers go down, that I can't eat any amount of white rice (which is horrible because I am Asian), and that I am not used to eating every 3 hours!
  • They just put me on insulin along with Metformin and I haven't been feeling well at all. Anyone have this problem? I've never been on insulin but since starting I've had an increase in dizziness and thirst and most annoying of all an increase in heartburn, like all day long, especially after drinking water with no relief from Tums or other meds. I know these are all common 3rd trimester symptoms but feel like these majorly increased after starting. I called my high risk doc and nurse just said it was all pregnancy related. Do I call my regular ob too? I feel like she just pushed it all off as common without considering it. Last night about 2 hours after taking my insulin I woke up super nauseous, I took my numbers just to be sure they weren't too low then took a sip of juice and went back to bed only to have heartburn follow me. This whole thing is confusing to me!!
  • katybug15 said:
    They just put me on insulin along with Metformin and I haven't been feeling well at all. Anyone have this problem? I've never been on insulin but since starting I've had an increase in dizziness and thirst and most annoying of all an increase in heartburn, like all day long, especially after drinking water with no relief from Tums or other meds. I know these are all common 3rd trimester symptoms but feel like these majorly increased after starting. I called my high risk doc and nurse just said it was all pregnancy related. Do I call my regular ob too? I feel like she just pushed it all off as common without considering it. Last night about 2 hours after taking my insulin I woke up super nauseous, I took my numbers just to be sure they weren't too low then took a sip of juice and went back to bed only to have heartburn follow me. This whole thing is confusing to me!!
    Sorry to hear you are starting insulin along with the metformin.  I don't take any metformin but I am on insulin.  I have not had any side effects to the insulin although I am only on a slow acting insulin at bedtime.  The only thing is occasionally I run low and then feel shaky, nauseous, and just generally unwell.  I have heard of some nasty side effects from Metformin though.  Is that prescription new as well?  Also I suppose those symptoms are also similar to late pregnancy symptoms and it could simply be a coincidence that they are worst after starting insulin. 

If you feel concerned or it keeps going I would bring it up with your regular OB.  It won't hurt to discuss it. :smile:
  • @glitterbug6 sorry I just saw your reply! I’m so bad at this app!! 

My hands have evened out too! I feel much better about it and now I can spread the testing to different fingers. 

I hear you on the rice! H and I are Asian as well and even though he is on the New Years/less carbs kick he still keeps craving rice! 

I’ve also been drinking a whole glass of water and trying to walk around after each meal, I agree it helps the numbers go down! With birthdays and baby showers coming up, the doctor told me to do this and I can still have a small piece of cake! 

• katybug15 said:
    They just put me on insulin along with Metformin and I haven't been feeling well at all. Anyone have this problem? I've never been on insulin but since starting I've had an increase in dizziness and thirst and most annoying of all an increase in heartburn, like all day long, especially after drinking water with no relief from Tums or other meds. I know these are all common 3rd trimester symptoms but feel like these majorly increased after starting. I called my high risk doc and nurse just said it was all pregnancy related. Do I call my regular ob too? I feel like she just pushed it all off as common without considering it. Last night about 2 hours after taking my insulin I woke up super nauseous, I took my numbers just to be sure they weren't too low then took a sip of juice and went back to bed only to have heartburn follow me. This whole thing is confusing to me!!
    Oh no! That sounds awful! I would call your regular doctor too. Even if they say it’s “normal” it’s better to check, right? I hope you find some relief!