February 2019 Moms
Options

Ask a STM week of Dec. 10

FTMs asking STMs any and all questions!

Re: Ask a STM week of Dec. 10

• Options
    Here's a potentially really stupid, but then again maybe not question: has anyone noticed any relationship between baby's behavior in the womb and as they grow? DS was a super chill baby, relatively easy pregnancy, didn't move a ton, just enough for me to know he was there. He's a unicorn baby now - still really easy with just a few bumps/tantrums here and there. But normal stuff for an almost 2 year old. This baby girl is WILD - moving constantly, reacting to everything, punching out when things are on my belly, the OB can rarely find her heartbeat on the first try at my appts because she's moving so much. Just wondering if I should brace myself for a wild thing or if I'm grasping at air trying to anticipate lol
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits - yep. DD was intense and broke a rib in utero then was born sunny side up. DS was chill, but very physical with hard kicks and punches. This baby is my chillest one yet. FX because I don’t need another crazy kid  :D

KBJ-SEJ married 8.18.2012
    BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016
    BFP 6.8.2018 EDD 02.18.2019

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits first baby was way more active in the womb, definitely has developed quite a personality as a toddler, and didn't sleep through the night until 13 months old. This baby seems less active in the womb, I have been wondering if this one will have a quieter personality. DH has a quiet personality. I on the other hand am the talker and social butterfly. 
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits 100%! DD was a manic in the womb-and has been go go go since she got here. This one is super chill, so I am hoping he is more chill once here as well. 
    DD is awesome in the transitions, sleep, teething-so still hoping her brother has those traits, but she rarely slept as a newborn/infant-and is all over the place now, so it'd be great if this one was a bit more chill and willing to go with the flow. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits I met up with a friend over the weekend who has a 7 month old son, and he was nuts in the womb, but he’s a super chill and easy baby. Her daughter was the opposite, barely moved in the womb but has been a handful since she was born (she’s almost 5). I’m hoping my baby will be like her son, because he’s definitely an acrobat in there! 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    Ughhhhh @smallbutmighty77 @disneybaby84 @kayjay44 you guys this baby is going to give me a run for my money. Might be regretting that whole PG "I love the newborn period!" post lol

See @grebretso I'm glad to hear it's possible. I'm sure she'll enjoy watching her big brother run around too - that's endlessly entertaining. Hopefully she's getting all her wiggles out now and will calm down once she's born?
  • Options
    etnyahetnyah member
    edited December 2018
    @BourbonBiscuits Ha, I wrote that before coffee so I think it was a little hard to understand. My friend’s girl is the oldest at 5 years (not 5 months, or still in the womb which it looks like)! She’s a great kid and an awesome big sis, but she’s definitely all over the place. The little boy is so calm it’s nuts, he likes to just sit and observe and barely makes a noise. Weird to think that he was the crazy one in the womb! 
    DS born 2/18/2019
    DD born 4/1/2023
    Baby #3 EDD 11/21/2024
  • Options
    @grebretso that's totally how I read it!
  • Options
    DD was super mellow in utero and was a very sleepy newborn (she was only up 2x a night). Once the 4 month sleep regression hit she was awake all the time (only slept for 45min-1hr at a time at night) and is now a very active and sometimes crazy all over the place toddler. So I personally don’t think there is a correlation but who knows. 
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    This is more of a TTM ? I guess- with countdown on, I am getting sad about sharing my time with the new babe and not being there for my little as much. She is pretty independent, but she will only be 18mos when this one shows and I am just a little sad. 
    Not to mention a little terrified. We have a good routine, I know they say second kids have to be more 'go with the flow' but still. 

What were your experiences brining a new babe home? 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    bellebaby221bellebaby221 member
    edited December 2018
    @smallbutmighty77 My twins were 3.5 years old when my current youngest was born and they were super. They did have some trouble understanding why I couldn't do as much when I got late into the 3rd tri but as soon as their brother came they were amazing. They'd get anything I needed and were old enough to hold bottles if I needed to pee or something during feeding time. We watched some of the videos of them with their little brother over the weekend and I forgot how great they were at making him laugh and smile. And if I ever need help getting him to doze off I'd set him next to Eli (one of the twins) and I swear that kid had jedi sleep powers!
    I'm excited to see how they do now that the twins are almost 10 and youngest will be 6 right before baby comes. Plus this is our first girl so I'm sure that'll change things too!
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits both of mine were still easy newborns. I’d say trouble started around a year with DD and around 2 years with DS. 

@smallbutmighty77 we made sure to make time for DD so not everything was about DS. When DH would bring DD home from daycare I would hand DS off and spend at least 30 minutes uninterrupted with DD every day. It also helped that my parents took DD for the weekend probably once a month so she had some undivided attention. We also made sure that we stil got out of the house for toddler activities often - the zoo, children’s museum, etc. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    @smallbutmighty77 I am having the same thoughts as we get closer. I feel sad that I’ll be losing out on time with DS and not be there for everything. I feel confident he will be a great big brother but he also has no idea what is about to happen. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    @smallbutmighty77 I am also feeling sad about DD not being able to get all our attention anymore. I’m savoring the moments where it’s just me and her or DH, her and I bc I know they are limited. I’m excited for her to be a big sister though and to have a sibling so close in age. I loved it growing up and still do and I’m hopeful she will feel the same (for the most part haha). 
  • Options
    Hey ladies! Sorry to change the subject, but have any of you used Majka protein powder? It's supposed to help build your milk supply. Since my pre-pregnancy diet consisted of protein shakes for breakfast, I was thinking I would go back to them once DS is here, and if this brand is any good I would try it. TIA!
  • Options
    @BourbonBiscuits this is my favorite thing ever. My first rarely moved and it was very frustrating. I used to wake up 7-10 times a night to pee- and she woke up that often to nurse. She’s the same now. My second was a very reliable kicker, she also would keep me up for about 2 hours motn kicking. She’s still very reliable and for the first few months of her life she would be awake during that same time frame. 
  • Options
    Your current baby will grow 3 years overnight. @smallbutmighty77 it is amazing how big he or she will become. You will find that quality of time trumps quantity. My biggest quickly became my helper. We would do activities like baking or art when her sister napped. I was most sad about not being able to take in every second of my newborn. 
  • Options
    @ThePax89 is right. I’m equal parts sad and excited to see how big my big kids look with their new little brother. 
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    shellperryshellperry member
    edited December 2018
    @nataliezbrungart I’ve never used it for me two plan bowls or rolled oats ever morning got me producing more then enough to feed pump and store.
  • Options
    Diff random question -Is there any particular question you felt like you really needed to know the answer to when picking a pediatrician?
  • Options
    S+TMs who gave birth before deciding on a name, what was that like? 
  • Options
    @jgrodo - We had a whole list of questions but I think what we  were looking for was just her vibe and ease, which came across in the appt.

@becks_726 - That was us.  We still had about 10 names on our list when I gave birth to DS.  We literally spent the first hours of his life going, “whatabout” some of them, and seeing if they fit.  I even floated a new off-list one in my delirium!  I credit him being somewhat promptly named to the fact that he had to go to the NICU a few hours after birth and went down there as “baby boy,” which I found unacceptable and so we quickly named him the first name we ever talked about for him way back months before, which probably was his destiny anyways.
  • Options
    @jgrodo It was a vibe thing with us too - I wanted someone we felt like we could trust, which is less about their qualifications (since we picked a reputable practice) and more about their bedside manner. Our pediatrician now is a family friend who goes to our church, so he knows the ins and outs of our family (and my somewhat complex family history in particular). I think if there are any things you're really fired up about (because my sister has a disability, early screening was important to us) that's what you should bring up n particular.
  • Options
    @jgrodo definitely ask if there are any parenting topics you and passionate about. Vaccination is one of them for us, and our pediatricians office doesn’t take any unvaccinated patients(unless for heath reasons)- this was important to us. Some people also like to know if they can vaccinate on a different schedule if wanted, etc. Also we wanted to make sure they were supportive of breastfeeding. Those were my main concerns but definitely just the doctors personality as well. 
  • Options
    @jgrodo - We went based on clinic reviews and ended up picking the pedi they sent to do DD's check up. We have gone through 3 (our first two moved away) and are still at the same clinic and love our pedi and all the other pedis and NPs. 

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    All makes so much sense! Thanks!  I hadn't even thought about the vaccination aspect- that's a really good point and def important!  I'll def have to find out about their preference for referring for developmental/rehab services  @BourbonBiscuits - it's def my pet peeves at the moment (I'm an SLP and services not being recommended at appropriate times is def my current pet peeves). Do you guys have a preference when it comes to their use of antibiotics?
  • Options
    I have a question: if your ribs expanded during pregnancy, how quickly did they go back to their old size after you gave birth? Or did they never go back down? I'm trying to guesstimate my band size for nursing bras. My current band size is 1-2 sizes bigger than my pre-pregnancy one, but I don't think it's from added fat, as far as I can tell it's just my ribs expanding.
  • Options
    @jessier19- My band size definitely went back down to pre pregnancy size. As for how long it took, hard to say what was going on with the ribs themselves because it took me about a year to get back down to pre baby weight.  Don’t toss those old bras :)
  • Options
    @jessier19 my ribs never went back down (some zippered dresses don't fit my ribs anymore), but I was able to just use a looser hook on my old bras/nursing bras. Not sure if it's universal, but the nursing bras I have have like 5 different hooks to make the band larger or smaller. I bought my regular band size and hooked it on the longest hook until it stretched a bit.
  • Options
    @jessier19 - the nursing bras I bought (Kindered Bravely Sublime) come with extenders for this very reason!
    T & J 5.9.09
    MMC 2.12.11 @ 8w
    PVM 5.8.12
    GWM 3.17.15
    RPM 2.21.19

• Options
    @jgrodo - You can always turn antibiotics down - I'm allergic to many of them (and all the common ones), so I already have a preference for avoiding them for myself since I can't risk building up a tolerance to them. I only take them for our kids when the doctors are super insistent that they are needed which they actually seem to appreciate. We're pretty stringent on medication generally and only use it when it's really needed.

@jessier19 - Mine went down, but never went back to the same size - I stuck with nursing cami's until my supply regulated and then bought nursing bras. That's what I'd recommend.

BMJ born 5.27.2014
    MMC 7.2.2015 @ 5w5d
    SMEJ born 6.5.2016

• Options
    How many clothes of each size does a baby need?  Number of onsies, sleep sacks, sleep and play outfits?  (there was a short blip on the clothing product spotlight but it was pretty general)
    Also, how many outfits do they go through a day, and what does this mean in terms of laundry?  I'd rather buy more clothes and do less laundry :D
    For newborn sized clothes, do they actually fit well up to 9 lbs? 
    Thank you!  
  • Options
    I keep forgetting to ask this question so I'll throw it in here before we move to a new week - must have nursing clothing items and preferred brands? 

Orrr I'm not 100% sure who starts these threads but could we possibly do a product spotlight on nursing clothing and essentials?

Basically I wanna invest in good stuff lol so any advice is welcome!
  • Options
    @changadee there's a maternity and nursing clothes spotlight with some recommendations. I'd link for you but I'm on the app. If you open any spotlight the first post has a link to a Google doc with all the links. 
  • Options
    @becks_726 ohh I must have missed that one, thanks
  • Options
    @thechickendance amount of clothing is tricky because some babies will have lots of growth spurts, some might stay in one size for months, then skip 2 sizes. Your baby might be prone to intense spit ups, where you don’t want to savethe outfit. There might be blow outs so bad that you throw the onesie away. Where you live, it might be two different seasons of weather while baby is in one size.