May 2019 Moms

Favorite Names Thread

Re: Favorite Names Thread

• @eatinwatermelonseeds I'm so glad! I think a framed birth announcement would be a sweet gift. 
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds so happy for you! Also for what it’s worth, I think both names flow equally nice. I love the name Luke and Logan is our girls name but I love it for both. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds that's so great! a framed birth announcement sounds perfect. 

Well since this LO is a girl, I'm saying goodbye to Logan James forever. :'(  I was totally ready to fight DH for that name. We have no girl names on deck so we're back to square one. We liked Juliet when we were naming DD, but I'm hesitant because our last name is 3 syllables, so that would be a 6 syllable full name, not counting middle. It just seems like a lot. I mean, DD ended up with a 4 syllable name, but a 2 syllable nickname, so it's okay? I feel like there just aren't any good nicknames for Juliet. I don't like Julie as a nn, and Jules is OK, but I don't love it. I'm also considering Claire, but again, not really any nicknames. 
    Ticker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker

• @poshspice there are so many nickname options for my name (Gabrielle) and I don’t use any of them. I never have. Gabby was never an option, I just don’t like it. DH and I picked Tennyson Beatrice for a girl and our last name also has three syllables. Don’t let the syllables or nicknames stop you. ❤️
  • I don't know how to create a poll on here, so I'll just ask. Husband and I can only agree on two boys names for our 2nd. Henry or Ollie (not Oliver- DH strongly vetoed... but liked Ollie if his real name can be Ollie) Any opinions on which you like more? We are keeping the name between us until he's born, so this is the only place I can go for opinions.
  • @poshspice FWIW, I love Logan James for a girl too! Maybe I’m partial because my daughter has 2 gender neutral names but I think it is super cute 💁🏻‍♀️
  • @teesmee DH will never go for Logan for a girl, unfortunately. He's super traditional in his naming preferences. 

@willmisspumpkinbeer I'm not a huge fan of nns as legal names, but I do like Ollie as a nickname. It does kind of make me think of the skateboarding trick. That being said, there was a really hot guy in my high school named Ollie :D 
    Ticker

• @eatinwatermelonseeds that is so great that he's honored :D I also really liked Luke but wanted Lucas with "Luke" as the nickname. DH was kind of okay with Luke (didn't love it) and flat out vetoed Lucas, too. We both loved DD's name (we were team green so discussing up to the final days and were all good on the girl name but not on the boy one) so I'm kind of over Luke since I don't think he'll come around to *love* it ever.

@poshspice I think it depends on the last name (not saying you should share, just that it matters). Our last name is 5 letters but 3 syllables - vowel, consonant, vowel, consonant, vowel. I personally feel like the last name NEEDS a one syllable nickname so that's what we work off of. SIL's maiden name has 3 syllables (ends in -son) and her name has 2 and I like the way it sounds. I have a very common, one syllable maiden name that goes with everything so I'm really weird about our last name and what sounds good (I don't like my 2 syllable name with my married last name - still go by my maiden name at work although I did legally change my name so it'd be the same as my children).

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy  Baby Tracker

• @willmisspumpkinbeer I love Henry and it was a top contender for us. I’m not a huge fan of Ollie, but to each her own. As PP said, I’m not big on nicknames for first names and I’m always really particular about names I feel will age well or be good in a professional setting. Also I don’t know if I’m just crazy, but when I hear Ollie, I automatically think of a girl. I think maybe there was a female character in some show I watched named Ollie.
  • @willmisspumpkinbeer I love Ollie! ❤️ Henry is becoming more popular, so you’d have to keep that in mind. :-)
  • @poshspice Juliet is actually our front runner if this baby is a girl! And I'm all about Jules for a nn.
  • @willmisspumpkinbeer like others have said, Ollie as a nickname I like but giving them the option of Oliver as the full name provides the flexibility to be more professional and doesn't pigeonhole them into something childish. Henry isn't my favorite name either but that's just me. I think you should go with what you like but I can't tell which is your style as those seem like two completely different styles to me. Henry is very traditional/classic and naming your child a nickname is not traditional or classic at all.

• poshspiceposhspice member
    edited November 2018
    @kvh22 yeah DD's legal name is verrry long. I doubt she will be able to include her middle on a scantron lol. Our last name is 9 letters and 3 syllables.  It's a name you have to pronounce for people multiple times and spell slowly. It's not too common, so I'm not going to share it here. My maiden name was already hyphenated, but if I'd had a normal short last name, I would have really thought long and hard about taking DH's last name when we got married.  :D  It was definitely easier to just take his name. I know I'm making it sound bad, but there are definitely worse names out there. It's not a horrible LN, just annoying to pronounce and spell for people. That's kind of why I'm leaning towards trying to find an easy-ish first name for this LO. 

@imrachellea Juliet is still in our top two at the moment! Naming a human is just so hard. 
    Ticker

• @poshspice I hear you. I was definitely taking your concern more about finding a name that goes as opposed to disliking your last name. I think my married name is actually really easy (like I said, only 5 letters plus it's spelled just like it sounds) but people seem to struggle with it so much. It's hard coming from such a simple maiden name. I'm probably limiting us with a one syllable nickname requirement but it's not just a coincidence in my mind that FIL, DH, and BIL all have one syllable names or nicknames. I don't think DH's grandmother or parents would say that's what they were trying for, it's just what you're drawn to with the last name, so the quicker you get to that realization, the easier it is to make the list of names IMO.

• Just going to leave this here for you guys' opinions....on the name obvs, not the super shitty employee.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/30/us/abcde-southwest-apologizes-scli-intl/index.html
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • fatmonicafatmonica member
    edited December 2018
    We asked a l&d nurse when I was in labor with my son what was the worst name she had seen and she had a few terrible ones.  Abcde was on her list, as was Shithead (Shi-te-ah).  There are some names that just shouldn't be allowed.

Eta
    Nevertheless, the Southwest employee should have been more professional. 
  • @fatmonica some states don’t allow you to include swear words in your child’s name. There are a lot of weird rules by state, actually. I was reading an article about it a few weeks back.
  • @willmisspumpkinbeer I second (or third or whatever) the thought that naming him Ollie pigeonholes him with a kiddie nick name that he may not want in his adult years.

Conversely, American Dad could make a song about him.

https://youtu.be/WpZbbOgjhPc
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • @missmcgonnagal I really feel that as parents we should try to name our children names that they will be proud of. I want my child to feel the meaning and a connection to the name we choose. There are some unique names that can do that. Abcde just seems like a grasp at being unique and trendy without any other thought. I think a child deserves to grow up with some pride in the meaning of their name other than it being the beginning of the alphabet. 

Also, how does this name set the little girl up for success? Whether right or not, she will have comments on her name for the rest of her life...poor thing. I don't think the airline employee acted appropriately. But the article doesn't give me sympathy for the Mom AT ALL. #rantover 😋
  • @DuchessOfCambridge I want to apologize for my ignorance.  I had no idea that was a common middle eastern name until I looked it up after I saw your comment.  In no way would I want to make fun of something that had strong cultural significance.  I feel like an idiot.
  • Anyone have any recent fav names now that more of us are learning gender?

PS, I was hunting for this thread to troll old names mentioned and didn’t want it to get lost! 
  • Help! Ds is Mason James, we cant find anything we love for ds2. Any suggestions?
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds I love Luke but I know I would be that annoying mom who called her grown son Lukie for all time 😂
  • @teesmee OMG I'm the opposite! DD's name is 4 syllables with a 1 syllable nickname which I love love love but adding y or ie to the nickname makes me cringe - people have asked if we'll call her that, one whose sister has the same name and they do and I'm just like...no. Our last initial is E and I actually dread there being more than one student with her name and her having to go by nickname E in that instance  :#

@eatinwatermelonseeds Luke was my favorite boy name last time (I think I mentioned this already) - we were team green and had a girl. I can't decide if I want to keep it as our boy name this time. I think I've watched too much Star Wars since having DD and now I see a disheveled Mark Hamel in his 40s/50s when I think of the name. I think I mentioned this back on page 1 or 2 but we know we're having a brunette or a red head, 50/50 shot of either. I'm totally lost on girl names but if we just go with what we had last time it'd Luke for a brunette and Connor for a red head. Not sure if we'll have a name for each for a girl.

• @kvh22 I've never seen star wars, but my husband is a nerd so our names were either Luke because of Star wars or Logan because of X-Men. 😂 I will never ever call him Lukie 😂 it is cute, though, the more I think of it. 
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds DH absolutely loves Star Wars, I think Luke just isn't his favorite character/he doesn't love the idea of that being the first thing someone thinks of (which wouldn't be the case for peers but might be for the dads of peers).

• @kvh22 I can definitely see that. He's not even here yet and I've already gotten a could people referencing Star Wars. I don't really care, though. It's not something people hate and Luke isn't a terrible character or anything. So, it doesn't deter me at all. I told H he has to say "Luke I am your father" when he holds him for the first time, though 😂
  • @eatinwatermelonseeds :D I wanted Lucas with "Luke" as the nickname and DH was only okay with it as Luke as the actual name so we never fully got on the same page with this either. It's a good thing we had a girl. Part of me is like "well if we had a boy, it would have been a red head like DD so it would have been Connor" but that's obviously not how it works.

• @kvh22 mine is exactly the same, but I'm not terribly fond of giving names with the intention of using nicknames, but I'm not too upset about not getting Lucas since I really love Luke anyway. 
  • I love the name Silas but my husband shot it down flat. We went back and for several weeks (we have know the sex from the begining since we did genetic testing) i have finally given in and let him pick the name with the caveat that the next boy i get to pick the name (and it will be Silas). So our sweet little boy is going to have the name jackson 🙁. I love the name just not with our last name. But i figured with him being a boy my husband would have had every right to want to name the baby after himself and i would much rather have the baby named Jackson. 
  • My list for boys included Otis, Haakon, Linus, and Esias. That’s all I could come up with the DH also agreed with. We have settled on our names and are just waiting to find out the sex to know what name we have!
  • @mrskoz428 i love the name Otis!!!
  • @justharrison oh Silas, be still my heart!  That was on my short list for boy names. Jackson is also lovely and if Harrison is your last name I like the ring it has to it! 
  • @kvh22 I can definitely see that. He's not even here yet and I've already gotten a could people referencing Star Wars. I don't really care, though. It's not something people hate and Luke isn't a terrible character or anything. So, it doesn't deter me at all. I told H he has to say "Luke I am your father" when he holds him for the first time, though 😂
    I really like Luke for a boy and also because Star Wars. I always told DH if we ever had boy/girl twins they would be Luke and Leia.  :D 
    Ticker