July 2019 Moms
Options

DNA Gender Testing

Ladies- talk to me about DNA testing for gender. Has anyone done it? Is it accurate? Would you recommend doing it again? My husband and I are going back and forth about whether to do that and find out earlier what we are having or wait until our 18-20 week US. 
Thanks!

Re: DNA Gender Testing

• Options
    If you’re talking about testing offered at your drs office, it’s actually a genetic screening test, and some also offer the blood test to find out the sex along with it. Not all insurance covers it, if you want it done, I would start by finding out if it’s covered and if it isn’t how much it would be out of pocket 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    @sarahbuehlow. We had it done. It's nearly 100% accurate. We found out last time around 11 weeks, but it was covered by insurance due to advanced maternal age.  I wouldn't pay for it out of pocket just to learn the sex, I'd just wait until the A/S.  But if you want to learn more about potential genetic defects it provides peace of mind. 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I plan to get it done. I think we are staying team green but want it for the genetic part
  • Options
    Our office offers the Harmony test which screens for 3 types of trisomy and can also test for gender. We did the test with both of our previous pregnancies (around 10 weeks), but only found out the gender with our first. It was kind of neat to announce our pregnancy at 12 weeks and say 'and also it's a boy.' 

I think it depends on whether or not you want to wait for the anatomy scan and whether you think it's 'anticlimactic' to see it on a piece of paper vs during a scan.
  • Options
    We skip genetic testing, for personal and honestly financial reasons as well as our insurance doesn't cover it. 

As much as I want to know what we are having I like waiting till halfway because pregnancy can seem to drag on forever. 1st tri you have the excitement of finding out your pregnant. Third tri you are excited to have your baby. I can't imagine how long 2nd and third tri would be for me if we didn't have the excitement of the anatomy scan to break it up. 

Not sure if that makes any sense. I'm rather flustered and exhausted tonight. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Options
    Are you talking about Sneak Peek (year you buy online) or NIPT?  I’ve done NIPT twice and it was correct about the sex both times.

The NIPT is very accurate, Sneak Peek is sometimes wrong but that seems to happen mostly when people don’t follow the test directions perfectly.  The online test does offer a refund if it ends up being wrong. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    This helps a lot! Thank you. Sneak Peak is the one I was thinking of. This is JUST for the gender. We are doing the screening separately. What exactly is NIPT? I’m not familiar with it but would like to know more! 
  • Options
    coco2787coco2787 member
    edited December 2018
    The NIPT (non-invasive prenatal test) is a DNA blood test that can be done as early as 10 weeks. By that point there is fetal DNA in the mother’s bloodstream and the chromosomes are tested to look for things like trisomies or extra X or Y chromosomes. It is also able to detect if there is a Y chromosome which is how they are able to tell you if it’s a boy or girl. In most cases insurance companies only cover it if you are AMA or if another screening test comes back showing elevated risk. Typically the companies offer a deal to people who who pay out of pocket, usually it’s around $300. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • Options
    @sarahbuehlow a friend of mine recently did the SneakPeek test and it was accurate for her. She had her anatomy scan and confirmed it was correct! My DH and I considered it for our first, but like someone else said we enjoy the excitement of having something to look forward to in second tri. We are considering team green this time though!