July 2019 Moms

Ask a STM+ December

Re: Ask a STM+ December

• @leendenny I'm hoping to go for a VBAC this time, my OB is supportive so long as the baby is in a good position, which we will monitor in the week leading up to the due date. My c-section was being my induction was going on 36 hours, they couldn't break my water without risking the cord coming out first, and M's heart rate was dropping rapidly. I had a panic attack the whole way through. D:
  • @leendenny I was a week past due and had the choice of either an induction or a C because of how DS was measuring. Women in my family don't have the best track record with inductions, and pitocin really freaks me out, so I went for the C to regain some control. I don't really regret it given the circumstances but because of it I'm changing up my whole prenatal care in hopes of having more patience from my team and a better possible outcome. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm undecided on vbac or not. My OB supports either option. 
    I ended up with a c-section bc I had a fever that wouldn't break and dd's heart rate started dropping. I only labored for like 6ish hours. 
  • @leendenny It was freaky as hell.  The doctor looked at the monitor and said "judging by the monitor you are two or three centimeters dilated."  I was being induced.  He left and came back in and said "I'm going to check you, then go back to the office for a few hours.  I'll come back around two and hopefully you can start pushing."  

Next thing I know, he said to my husband "suit up, we are going to the OR.  The kid just grabbed my finger."
  • ketomommy said:

Next thing I know, he said to my husband "suit up, we are going to the OR.  The kid just grabbed my finger."
     :D  :D:D:D
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • tsa208 said:
    ketomommy said:

:D  :D:D:D
    This. All this.
  • @mamanbebe was your DS measuring big? I’m always curious about how different drs handle baby measurements in the womb, because they aren’t 100% accurate. My dr already mentioned monitoring this pregnancy for baby’s size because my second was considered big for his gestational age. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • How old were your kids when you stopped using a stroller? Trying to figure out if it's worth it to get a double stroller.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @tsa208 I've never been big on strollers but DS will still ride in one occasionally, and he's 4.5. 

@nolemomma14 He did measure large at around 10lbs, but there is a huge margin of error in those estimates. His actual weight was 7lbs 12oz. The thing is.. there is length and then there is the actual girth of the child. I wouldn't worry too much unless your bump also starts measuring way ahead in late May or early June. And FWIW, I have friends who have delivered babies vaginally that were more than 10lbs. Sometimes it's often a matter of having a Dr who is comfortable with that and knows the right laboring/pushing positions, like all-fours, which opens up the pelvis and allows the baby to exit easier (when you're on your back, your pelvis is compressed and the birth canal pathway can be restricted). 

• @mamanbebe so crazy how off those measurements can be! My second measured 9lbs at 37w+1. I was induced the next day and he ended up weighing 8lbs 10oz, so they were off, but not too much. Thankfully my dr is totally okay with big babies, and will monitor me just to have an idea of what to expect. I was induced last time because my fluid levels were really high in the last ultrasound, and they were worried about cord prolapse if my water broke on it’s own. 

I hope you can have your VBAC this time!!
  • @nolemomma14 That's great that you have a supportive doctor! I hope you get to keep this one in as long as possible :) 
  • @tsa208 my 2 year old will occasionally get in a stroller, he’s just lazy. But my 3 year old refuses. We use a wagon when we go to the children’s museum, park, fairs, etc. they love it!! 
  • I hate double strollers. They are so bulky and in any place we would ever need one they are dang near impossible to maneuver. A carrier, umbrella stroller, and a good backpack were so much easier with multiple kids. By 2.5-3 mine were done with a stroller. 
    Wife. Boy mom x6. Expecting #7. Wannabe homesteader.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • We have a double, (4+2), but mostly because we like to go to Busch Gardens and Disney often and it's hard to expect a 4 year old to walk that much...and also because sometimes we want to walk faster to get where we are heading. Other than that, it's not used that often. 
  • Thanks all and WOW they are expensive! Sounds like it's carrier plus the stroller we have.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @nolemomma14 @ccmama3 @xtinecatherine @snootles @sunshine525 thank you so much for weighing in. I'm a rural girl, so the resources out here to rent and check things out are very limited. I'm trying to research on the internet, but never know what to actually trust. I appreciate hearing from people who have lived it! I think I'm going to check out prefolds, all in ones, and pockets first. We'll go from there and see what fits!
  • I really want to get a stroller that has one of the bars for the older kiddo to stand on, rather than a huge double. Does anyone have one of those?
  • @foodislove we have the city select lux, which has a glider board add on that I'm planning to get. I should be able to put all three kids on it with that as we have the extra seat too. We're really happy with it and felt it was worth the money, but I'm sure there are some less expensive options out there for you! 
  • Joining many of you other mamans in hoping for a VBAC! C-section for DD was also a failed induction at 41+5 weeks, 36 hours of labor, water broke naturally but stalled at 3cm and went past the hospital guidelines (c-section after water has been broken for 24 hours if past term). 
  • kgrisham18kgrisham18 member
    edited December 2018
    @cindler I've been cloth diapering for 4.5 years now.  I prefer BumGenius Freetimes and wash 1-2 times a week (should be two but I'm busy).  Once you figure out your wash routine it's really simple but does seem complicated at first.  I use disposables at night and when on vacation but I've probably saved several thousand dollars now.  I do it for the eco factor though.
    Baby J #2 due 11.12.16
    Sydney Elizabeth born 9.24.14

• @foodislove I have the Guzzie + Gus universal stroller board. It attaches to any stroller and holds children up to 65lbs. We love it.
  • @tsa208 DD HATED her stroller. She's already too old for a regular stroller but I plan on wearing baby anyways. At almost 5 DD does still ride in our Thule chariot when I go for my runs or when we go on long walks but I purchased that specifically for my runs when DD outgrew our running stroller. 
  • @Panaceia I just looked it up, and review said it doesn't fit well with Graco strollers. :( I can't see it working with ours, seeing the examples, kiddo's head would hit our stroller bar. 
  • PanaceiaPanaceia member
    edited December 2018
    @foodislove Ah! That's too bad:/ When I was reading up on the sit and stand strollers I really like the Joovy Caboose. I think that one has the option of an extra seat or a standing board. Or both.

ETA this is from Amazon.ca but you get the idea. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Joovy-8147-Caboose-Graphite-Stroller/dp/B01BMAW0L8/ref=mp_s_a_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1544275155&sr=8-2&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=joovy+caboose&dpPl=1&dpID=41wVNNR13RL&ref=plSrch#immersive-view_1544275234183
  • @Panaceia That may be a really good option for us, thanks!
  • I had a csection last time. My labor failed to progress because of poor positioning. My midwife feels I am a good candidate for a VBAC so we are going to try. I labored for way too long last time and was physically exhausted so we are going to cap my labor at 24 hours this time. It seems like a walk in the park compared to the 60 hours I labored with my son.

As for strollers, my son is 2. We use our wagon most of the time and I baby wear so that will probably be our go to at first. Once the baby is a little bigger we have a BOB stroller, I’ll get a riding board for my son.
  • Question:

Did anyone take any long car trips during your 3rd tri? I did not out of paranoia last pregnancy but I'm curious now because I kind of want to get out of town for a break in late Spring before this kiddo comes. 
  • @mamanbebe I did with my last pregnancy. We drove from FL to Charlotte, NC when I was almost 32 weeks pregnant. It was a long drive for sure, with more stops than usual, but manageable. 
  • @mamanbebe I did with my first and second. 18hr round-trip (went to hometown for shower) with my first at 30wks and then basically a 29hr round trip (moved across state lines) around 28wks. TBH is was miserable and I refused to do it with #3 and #4. But I tend to have really bad RLP and sciatica.
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • With the huge caveat that I'd like to stay away from the rabbit hole that can be baby books/vieos/resources, what is the best resource for figuring out what to expect after birth? I have 0 children in my life and no close friends who know yet. I'm trying to figure out what I need to get, what I need to have planned and generally what the heck is going to happen come July and don't know where to look.

Thank you to everyone who has helped me figure out baby gear and cloth diapering. I'm sure I'll see more advice/help after I announce, but right now I'm overwhelmed with all the "resources".
  • @cindler Do you want a book rec or would it be helpful to have a postpartum catch-all thread? 
  • @mamanbebe so clueless here, I don't even know how to answer your question! A postpartum thread would be a good idea for the board organization freaks (love you!), but I was originally thinking a book recommendation.
  • @cindler I have this mega book in my nightstand for occasional reference but it's great for the first couple of years: American Academy of Pediatrics - Caring for Your Baby and Young Child Birth to Age 5

https://www.amazon.com/Caring-Your-Baby-Young-Child/dp/0553386301

If your local library offers e-books you might find it there too. 

• @cindler I would read up on the 4th trimester for baby. I feel like overall that will help the most with understanding and meeting your baby’s needs when he or she arrives.
  • @cindler they go through a ton of stuff and give pamphlets on post-partum and newborn care before you leave the hospital. If you decide to nurse make sure you see a lactation consultant. Most hospitals have them on hand for free.

You'll also have a pediatrician appt like on day 3-5 for another chance for follow up questions. 

Maybe also see if your hospital offers child care classes as well? 

So much of parenting is learning as you go. I will say when I had my first just reading on these boards helped me a ton and gave me comfort that everything was normal and I wasn't screwing up too bad. It also gave me something to do when I was up late feeding the baby. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • Oh! I will say read up on the 4th trimester. It helped me feel a bit better when someone would accuse me of "spoiling" my newborn.

There's also an app called Wonder Weeks that gives you updates on baby's development and when to expect different leaps and sleep disruption because of various cognitive and physical developments. 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @mamanbebe @NicholeL16 @nopegoat Thanks! I'm not freaking out (yet), but know I need to do some preparation over the next several months. I'll look into those resources and definitely keep checking with you all as the journey progresses. 
  • It can seem so overwhelming but a lot of parenting, as cliche as it sounds, it just following your instincts. You're going to do great! ❤️ 
    , 💙💙💙💙💙💙
  • @mamanbebe yes, although I’m in New Zealand and I think our sense of what constitutes a long drive might be different! 
    We went out of town for Christmas at 35 weeks - 9 hour drive. But we decided to break it by stopping over night. In hindsight I don’t think it was necessary, still felt relatively comfortable in the car. 
  • @cindler I was also going to recommend the wonder weeks app! You have to pay for it but it's only a few dollars. It's been really helpful for me to understand why my babies may be going through a fussier than normal period and helps to see what sorts of milestones they could be working on. That being said, try not to get caught up in all the book stuff and "things must go this way" mentality. I think it's great to do some research, but at the end of the day each child is going to be completely different and may or may not follow the "rules" that are in a book. In my opinion, at least 85% of parenting is flying by the seat of your pants!