July 2019 Moms

At home doppler

Anyone using an at home Doppler? Have you told your doctor your using it and how often are you using it? I have one but have used it only a few times in the last few weeks. Im nervous it’s harmful. I plan to tell my OB I’m using one next week and see what she thinks. 

Re: At home doppler

• tsa208tsa208 member
    edited December 2018
    I had one last pregnancy. Used it quite a bit, just never for a long period at a time. I cant recall if I asked my doc or not. I feel like I did. I literally had the same handheld one my nurse used at our appointments.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited December 2018
    I will say, I did read the concerns about using them and I did not feel it was a risk. I was able to find the heartbeat each time, I was able to differentiate baby's heartbeat from my own or the placenta, and it didn't stress me out. In fact, it reduced my stress - I had a high risk pregnancy and had biweekly ultrasounds, so I was more stressed that my baby wasnt okay. I was careful not to overdo it but other than that, I had no concerns. If I felt like something was wrong, I still contacted my doctor, I didn't self-diagnose.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I also have one that I used occasionally during my first pregnancy. I don’t remember telling my doctor but not because I was hiding it. Obviously you haven’t heard anything on the Doppler yet, right??
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• I have used one with each of my pregnancies.  I had an in home nurse with my one pregnancy and she could not find the heartbeat on her doppler I told her I was using a doppler and she handed hers over and I found it right away.  I've used them quite a bit until I started feeling movements.. probably at least once a week.  I just got the doppler out yesterday to start trying and found the heart beat tonight. 
  • @pai314, how far along are you? I can’t remember how early you can pick up a heartbeat 
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • I used one for my last pregnancy, but definitely not this early on. I started using it around 24 weeks and my dr gave me a recommendation to which one to buy. 
  • We have one from our last pregnancy. I think we used it once or twice for fun, but mostly kept it on hand for a few weeks when kiddo wasn't moving much and it freaked me out. (Around 30 weeks or so?) So not having to rush to doc or ER to be reassured was nice.
  • Some of the website articles about hand held dopplers are over the top. 

"Improper use because of a lack of training. Doctors, nurses and midwives typically train for a minimum of three years before performing Doppler ultrasounds on pregnant women."   Really? Even if that's true, I can't imagine it takes three years of training to use a Doppler properly (as evidenced by many of us on this thread).
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ameliabedelia-2
    I'm 9+3.  I believe this is about the time I've found it with each of my pregnancies.
  • I bought one about 8 years ago when I was pregnant with my oldest and have used it for subsequent pregnancies as well. I usually start looking around the 8 week mark and only use it maybe twice a week. I typically just find the hb and then put it away; I don’t chase the kid around to listen to them or anything. Just a quick, “okay good, you’re alive” check. I’ve never told my OB but I don’t feel like I need to hide it either. It’s just never seemed like a topic I needed to discuss with her.
    November 2010 - 10.5 week loss  o:) 
    October 2011 - DS (7)  <3 
    July 2014 - Stillborn DD (24 weeks)  o:) 
    August 2015 - DD (3)  <3 
    April 2018 - 5 week loss o:) 

• Ok y’all, just to satisfy my curiosity I went home and get my Doppler out after reading this thread. Holy cow! I found the baby’s heartbeat! I’ll be 8 weeks tomorrow and am in total shock that I can find it this early. So I owe y’all an apology because i totally didn’t not believe you could use a Doppler this early!

• I just found the heartbeat today at 9 weeks! I had no idea you could pick it up this early. I think I didn’t even try until 12 or 13 weeks with my other two. Let the obsessive monitoring begin 😂
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Where did you all get yours? I’m interested in buying one!
  • @rgn12 I got mine off of eBay, it was the best price I could find.  This is the one I have and that most people recommend https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonoline-B-Fetal-Doppler-with-3Mhz-probe-US-Seller-1yr-Warranty-Blue/271935154581?hash=item3f50992995:g:a20AAOSwTuJYnKEH:sc:USPSFirstClass!53716!US!-1:rk:3:pf:0

@ameliabedelia-2 I found the HB on Sunday at 9+1, I was totally shocked!  I haven't tried since though because now I'm afraid not to find it. 
    Me: 35  H: 35
    Married: 4/5/13

"You know that place between sleep and awake, 
    that place where you can still remember dreaming?
    That's where I will always love you.  
    That's where I'll be waiting."
    ~Peter Pan 

*TW*
    BFP #1: 11/12/12  EDD 7/25/13 Baby boy: 7/27/13
    BFP #2: 10/29/17   MMC dx @ 9 weeks
    BFP #3: 2/2/18 MC 2/7/18
    BFP #4: 3/2/18  MC 3/9/18
    RPL testing and hysteroscopy: all normal
    BFP #5: 4/1/18 MMC dx @ 14 weeks ----> genetically normal girl  :'(
    Hysteroscopy to remove scar tissue 9/28
    BFP #6 11/5/18 EDD 7/20/19  <3  Rainbow baby girl born 7/23/19 
    BFP #7 12/8/2021 EDD 8/22/2022 
  • I ordered the Sonoline from Best Buy, it was about $60 (Canadian). I found the heartbeat right away, just over 10 weeks which was a huge relief because at my midwife appointment the week prior she couldn’t find it, granted she didn’t poke around as long as I did lol I was worried I wouldn’t be able to distinguish between mine and the baby’s heartbeat but I definitely didn’t have a problem there the baby’s heartbeat is so dinstinct! 
  • @coco2787, same.  I know if I try again and can't find it, I will drive myself crazy. It wasn't easy to find so I am not sure I could definitely do it again. I have my first official OB appt next week at 10.5 weeks, so I will try and hold off until then, rather than drive myself nuts. 
  • Ok, anyone with a tipped/tilted uterus use a home doppler successfully? My OBs and Midwife always have trouble finding the heartbeat until easily 14-15 weeks with me, and I am not sure this wouldn't just increase my overall anxiety. But the other part of me really wants one, to help relieve my anxiety and my children's once they know. Plus, I feel like that would be a way to include them in the pregnancy. 
  • @indulgentgypsy I was told during my last pregnancy I had a tilted uterus and was still able to find the HB.  I haven't tried again so I might have just gotten lucky.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • I still haven't found it, 8 weeks 6 days today. Fingers crossed I will soon because it's driving me nuts.
  • @shawnacrest, it took me a long time, and when I found it, it was super faint. It didn't even register on the doppler's heart rate monitor. I am 9+2 and just found it yesterday, so give it a little longer. I 100% wouldn't stress over it this early. 
  • At 11w1d I barely found mine. It took the third try of the day. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • leendennyleendenny member
    edited December 2018
    This is probably dumb of me and y’all probably already know this, but for those of you using one, make sure you use a big glob of lotion or ky jelly. It makes it sooo much easier to hear. 

• @indulgentgypsy I have a retroverted uterus and with DD the doctor couldn't find her heartbeat on a doppler until 16 weeks (I also had an anterior placenta). I would love to be able to check at home but not finding it would be too much stress for me to handle I think:/
  • Also @indulgentgypsy I read somewhere that putting a pillow under your butt helps so
    that’s what I’ve been doing.  I was able to find the HB again for a few seconds tonight. 

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • My next prenatal checkup is on 1/4 and we get to hear the baby's heart beat. I badly want to get an at home Doppler but I don't want to take that joy away from my husband on hearing it together for the first time PLUS I'm super nervous that I don't know what the heck I'm doing and that I'll do it too long or harm the baby. Maybe I'll change my mind as I get further along.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Even with my tilted uterus the doctor found the HB immediately with the doppler today (12+2) so I'm thinking I might not have an anterior placenta this time! 

@babyginjuly SO was with me today to hear the HB for the first time. There is something to be said for the experience of experiencing it together :)
  • @Panaceia I super look forward to it. His eyes lit up when he saw the baby on the ultrasound at our first appointment and the heart fluttering. It was so cute!! I enjoy the moments I see him get happy about this baby because unlike us they don't have the daily reminder that there's a little one coming.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Ughhhhhhh. I used my home doppler for the first time since Monday and I couldn't find the heartbeat. I tried for a good 15 mins. I know it's still early (9+4), and that I was really lucky to find it Monday, but now of course all I can think is the worst. My OB appt isn't for another week. Damn me for trying again, I should have just left it alone.  :s
  • @ameliabedelia-2 could you hear movement at all?  I couldn't find the HB yesterday morning but heard a lot of movement so I just assumed baby was wiggling too much for me to get the HB.  Movement usually sounds like sporadic static (when you're holding the transducer still) and lots of whooshing and gurgling.

And if it makes you feel better, even though I found the heartbeat at home at 9+1 my doctor couldn't find it at my appointment at 9+4 even though we had just seen baby on the ultrasound.  

~Peter Pan 

*TW*
  • @coco2787, I don’t think I paid attention to static or swooshing noises. I remember from my appt that they said to drink water beforehand because your bladder needs to be full to better hear the heartbeat. I’m going to drink a bunch of water today and try again. 
  • I FINALLY FOUND IT! @ameliabedelia-2 they move so much and are so little at this point it's hard to find. I finally found it a little higher up than where I was looking. Like you said, I wouldn't stress 🙂
  • @ameliabedelia-2 I'm sorry for the stress. I'm sure your next appointment will put your mind at ease❤
  • @ameliabedelia-2 I'm so glad you found it so you can at least breath easy over the holidays. I'm with you. Hearing the HB at appointments is enough. And much less nerve wracking!!!!
  • I bought a doppler as well, didn't hear anything at 9w1d but heard it in about 20 seconds loud and clear at 9w5d. I'm an RN so I'm very comfortable with the fact that just because I can find it now doesn't mean itll always be easy, s/he's so little right now. So I just use it for fun :)  I don't recommend it for reassurance because it just might do the opposite!
  • I am 15 weeks tomorrow and still cannot find it.  Since we have had complications in the past I see my dr. once a week still for an ultrasound so I know everything is ok, but I would love to find it lol.  My dr. also told me to not try to find it till I was about 18-20 weeks pregnant, then the baby is bigger and the heart beat is easier to find.  
  • My sister brought one over during the holidays and wanted to try it (I was around 14 weeks I think?). We tried it 3 times. I'm pretty sure we found the HB but not positive. Then I spent the next week freaking out that using it somehow harmed the baby. So my sister took it back home with her. Too much stress for me! 
  • @mom2b77373 It's so hard to find them at this point. I think I read something about how 16w is when it becomes easier. I got a doppler last week and the most helpful tips I read were to just put the conducting gel on the doppler head, not all over your belly, then slowly glide, section by section, stopping to tilt the head in different directions. It took me a few minutes last night but I found LO tucked down on the left side of my pubic bone and only could pick the heartbeat up at a certain angle. Other days, I've caught them midway between my pubic bone and my belly button, they get around! 
  • rgn12rgn12 member
    edited January 2019
    @mamanbebe I second that! I got my Doppler for Christmas at 12 weeks and we could find it, but it was sometimes really faint. My sis is a doctor, so she found it the first time and I just tried to copy what she did. I try not to do it too much or freak myself out if I can’t find it since they’re so small right now! 
  • With the first pregnancy, I was able to find the HB quickly and easily from about 12 weeks. With this one, it takes several times (I do no more than 10 mins each try). When I go to the OB, they find it quickly. Guess I lost my touch!
    Pregnancy Ticker