March 2019 Moms

Bedrest/hospital stay/nicu thread

I very much hate to be the one to start this thread but on Tuesday, after my repeat fetal echo, I have been admitted to the hospital indefinitely/until delivery. My fluid levels have gone up substantially (AFI in the 50s, normal range is less than 25). The high fluid, which is still unexplained, coupled with I had told my MFM to check me because of all my irregular contractions and back labor over Thanksgiving. Well, lo and behold I'm dilated to 3cm and 80% effaced. She could feel baby moving through my thin cervix. I know I've lost bits of mucus plug last week. 

Some of you may know from my updates in PGAL/week 1 that I had put myself on limited mobility at home after the holiday. I was basically limiting myself to my house and the couch, only leaving to pick up DD1 from school. However, if/when my water breaks, the pressure release could be forceful enough to release my placenta, and baby is head down now, but with my "Olympic sized baby swimming pool" baby could present anything first if Niagara Falls starts flowing. The scariest incident is the cord prolapsing. If that happens, you have mere minutes to save the baby. (With my loss history, this is all too close to home). Minutes make a difference. My blood work and BP have showed a few symptoms of pre-eclampsia. I also have a touch of hypothyroidism.

Also, my local hospital that I was hoping to deliver at that was only 10 minutes from my house does not have a Nicu. I'm here at the bigger hospital 30 min away from home that has one. Tomorrow I'll be 29 weeks  (I know I'm further along than most of you, but by the time my EDD was moved to Feb. 22, I was already comfortably familiar with all of you on this board and didn't want to move.) Hope it's okay if I stick around with you. We are hoping to make it as far along as I can. They didn't want me walking around at home with thus much fluid, being that much dilated. So I'm here for the long haul. 

Poor DH is scrambling with the family we have in town to babysit DD2, picking up DD1 and also coming to see me some. I'm probably going to be here through the holidays. Every week baby stays in the womb is obviously ideal unless the pre-eclampsia goes crazy. I have twice daily NSTs, and lots of BP checks. I think that's it. I guess this is my new home. Feel free to chat with me, give me your stories if you went through anything similar in a previous pregnancy. I hope I'm the only one that needs to be on this thread. Sitting here with not a lot to do and watching the snowfall outside missing my babies at home terribly.

Re: Bedrest/hospital stay/nicu thread

• @Lbloom I'm sorry you're having to stay in the hospital away from your family over the holidays. That really sucks! You seem to have a pretty good attitude about it though and despite you being in the hospital I hope that Baby Bloom stays in there as long as possible. 
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • I'm glad you decided to stick around with us @Lbloom ! Thank you for the update and I'm so sorry you're going through all of this. Sending all the positive vibes for yours and baby's good health and hopefully LO hangs tight in there for a good deal longer.
  • Loading the player...
  • edited December 2018
    I'm so sorry that you have a hospital stay ahead of you with these complications. I'm sending vibes for your baby to stay put until it is healthy and ready to come out!!

I don't have any similar experiences or anything, but I just listened to a podcast episode for premie awareness month about a lady who had her daughter at week 27 or 28, I think. It was a scary story but they are both healthy now. If you are interested, the podcast is Babes and Babies and it is episode 43. 
  • @Lbloom I am so sorry you are dealing with this. It sounds really scary, but I’m glad you are in capable hands in the case that baby comes early. I’ll be thinking of you and hoping that baby stays right where he/she belongs for a long time to come. 
  • @Lbloom no experience to add, just sending lots of thoughts and positive vibes your way that baby Bloom will stay put until ready to arrive and that they can keep you as comfortable and healthy as possible until then. I know it’s got to be tough being away from you husband and girls, especially in the midst of the holidays. If you like to read, pretty sure the kindle unlimited subscription is still on sale (I have subscribed on and off for several years and find it a great way to binge on authors or series).
  • You all are the best! And baby Bloom, that's so stinkin' cute! :)
  • I'm so sorry you had to start this thread, and all the complications you've had. I hope your lo stays in there as long as possible. I'm glad you are somewhere the Drs will be keeping a close eye on both of you. Keep us updated. Also, I'm glad you stayed on this board.

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • @Lbloom I am so sorry to read your post. I hope you're able to keep yourself occupied and that baby stays put for much, much longer. Please keep us updated!  
  • @Lbloom glad you decided to stick around and i have hope that the baby will stay put. I am glad you are somewhere settled in case anything happens, but will keep fx and prayerful for you. We are here for you! 
  • @Lbloom sorry to hear you are stuck in the hospital! I hope that you are able to stay occupied and keep cooking that baby for as long as possible! Keep us posted!
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • @Lbloom I’m so sorry you’re in the hospital and will be there away from your family through the holidays. I admire your good attitude about the situation and hope that Baby Bloom stays put and keeps growing for as long as s/he needs. We’ll be here thinking of you and supporting you through your stay.
  • So sorry to hear this! At least you are somewhere that is equipped to deal w a premie & being monitored closely to make sure nothing goes wrong. Sending lots of love and support your way while going Through this trying time! Best of luck <3
  • I agree with everyone!  Glad you're somewhere that will be ready to handle what comes next, when it happens (which hopefully won't be for awhile!).  And glad you're sticking around here!
  • Dido what everyone has said and I'm glad you stuck with us in the March group! Sending hug and love. 
  • Thinking of you!!! Please let us know if we can do anything to help/make you feel better/keep you company virtually. And if not, we are still here
    cheering for you both.

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• @Lbloom I'm sorry to hear that you're in this situation! I can't directly relate, but I did spend a lot of time with my sister in the NICU when she went into premature labor. 

She had her twin girls at 28 weeks at less than two pounds each when she was taking a mini-vacation about 2.5 hours away from home. They first went to the closest hospital that didn't have a NICU, she had an emergency c-section, and then they had to be transported to another hospital with a NICU. The girls spent about two months there and my sister stayed in a Ronald McDonald house nearby and family took turns staying with her as she recovered and the girls got big enough to leave. 

Despite the bad stuff, the nurses and doctors at the NICU were amazing in terms of their knowledge and skills and ability to communicate with mothers and families dealing with insane stress and heightened emotions. We  also found lots of ways to kill time and try to get our minds off the scary thoughts. I distinctly remember getting lots of old tv shows on DVD - I'm pretty sure we watched the whole Ally McBeal series while we were there... The girls are now perfect, healthy 9-year olds despite their rough start. 

Like others have said, it's great that you're already in good hands and that you and the baby are being monitored so closely - that has to dramatically reduce the risk compared to other more "surprise" situations like my sister's.  I hope you find some good ways to kill the time, you get lots of visitors (at least the ones you want!), and that the baby keeps cooking for a while longer! 
  • @Lbloom I'm really sorry that you've got a such a bumpy road in your pregnancy. I was hoping we don't need a thread like this on our board, it's something I don't wish upon anyone. Stay strong, I'm sending virtual hugs and prayers that the baby stays put for a couple more months!
  • @Lbloom I’m so sorry you are dealing with this! I’m sending you creepy internet hugs and that LO stays put! 
  • Ditto what everyone else has said! So glad you stuck around with us March moms, and thanks for sharing an update. I've seen your posts in PGAL and week 1 and had hoped you'd have an easier time this pregnancy. It sounds like you're in the right place to ensure the best outcome for Baby Bloom, even though it must be so difficult to be away from your family and DDs. Hopefully you can find ways to keep yourself entertained while in the hospital, and hopefully Baby Bloom decides to stay put for several more weeks! You'll be in my thoughts!
  • @lyse01 thank you for sharing your experience. That's a lot of good information. For the immediate time being, since baby is still happily cooking, I especially like the idea of organizing my digital photo albums and storage, that is something that always gets put off and I'm about to add another member of the family to take thousands of new photos of! ;)

I have asked about other moms that are here for the long haul and there are some here, but they are mostly on the next floor (ante and post partum). I am on the labor and delivery floor so I can be close to the operating rooms. I can walk the halls on this floor but that's about it. Hope to find time in between monitoring.
  • @Lbloom of course! Other ideas suggested to me: adult coloring books, teleworking, reading series of books or the stack of magazines I swear I’ll read someday, binging on tv series, writing a novel, researching great/easy recipes for cooking with a baby, cleaning out my inbox, finishing my embroidery projects.
  • @Lbloom First, let me say how sorry I am you're going through this! I was in the  hospital for 35 days with my daughter. I was admitted after my water broke at 29+6 and was there until she was born after induction at 34+2. She was in the NICU  for 16 days, short stint on CPAP then as a feeder grower. She will be 2 next month and there are ni long term complications that we know of. Shes actually advanced in her speech and cognition, a bit small size wise! 

A few things that helped me:
    1. If you haven't already, request a neonatology consult and tour of the NICU. It was nothing like I expected. My hospital had shared rooms but wasn't a pod set up like I thought. It was really helpful hearing all the pertinent info from the dox. OBs and MFMs are great, but don't specialize in your baby once they're out. 
    2. I wont make recs.for activities for passing the time bc I dont have anything earthshattering to add. I did all the expected stuff. What did help me, though, was establishing a routine for my days. I was able to schedule my thrice daily NSTs for the same time every day, ate, showered, had visitors, etc and it helped me not feel like I was just laying there, even though I was! I was allowed one wheelchair ride a week and I would try to get outside even though it was winter. We wouldnloterally rodenaround the parking lot. 
    3. Get primary nurses if you can! Our maternity ward nurses weren't really used to caring for women who were still pregnant and some were better than others. My two primaries (1 day, 1 night) were absolute angels and made a huge difference. They did little things when they could to help me feel more comfortable  

I'll stop myself because obviously I could write a book about this! Feel free to PM me if you would like. Be gentle with yourself. This process really challenges you mentally and physically. All my best thoughts to you and baby Bloom!
  • Congratulations to you and your family! Welcome baby Bloom! 

I second everything @lyse01 said. I'll add that when I was pumping for my preemie hand expression was way more effective than pumping for the first day or two. I would get nothing w the pump but could at least get an mL or two by hand expressing onto a spoon and sucking it up w a syringe.  Ask to see an LC! 

I'll also mention that a lot of preemies have a little honeymoon period, esp when it comes to breathing, for the first 12-24 hours after birth. I mention it only because you shouldn't think hes getting worse if he needs a little help to breathe in the coming days. Hes just adjusting to life outside. Totally expected for a 29 weeker. 

Enjoy your baby and update us when you feel like it! All my thoughts are with you!
  • @lyse01 and @lemieuxk thank you so much for your kind words of support and tips. They made me tear up! :) He has had some donor milk so I agree that is a blessing. My milk usually takes 4-5 days to come in. So I can persevere! I have run such a wide gamut of bringing all my kids into the world, I just feel as this is a new dimension of that. It just feels surreal that my living, fighting little boy is so much smaller than my full term loss DD at 39 weeks. Life is a blessing, yet such a strange and unpredictable thing. I am continuously humbled by it all.
  • Congratulations on the arrival of your baby boy! I am so glad that you were right where you needed to be for his early arrival. Praying for your recovery and for baby boy Bloom to grow big and strong and healthy! 
  • Congratulations on your little fighter! That is amazing that he is already breathing so well on his own. I’m so glad that he is here safe and sound and in such good hands. Please keep us updated on his progress.
    DD1: June '16 DD2: March ‘19 :::: Married since 2011 :::: USN Wife ::::
  • Congrats on baby boy bloom and glad to hear he’s a strong little fighter! How good that you were already at the hospital and they got him here quickly and safely. Prayers for both of you. Thank you for updating us and would love to hear about his progress! 
  • Congratulations on you baby boy! I ageee that I’m so glad you were there when he came and you both were well taken care
    of! Praying for you, your little guy, and your family! 
  • Congratulations @Lbloom!  I'm so happy you were just where you needed to be and that everyone is OK. Take care of yourself; I'll keep an eye out for updates when you're up for it!  
  • I’m so thankful that you were admitted. Take care of yourself!!! 

[spoiler=TW in signature]

Me: 36, DH 37.

August 2014- 6w MMC

July 2015- CP

PCOS, plus some medical issues that make me high risk.

Our rainbow babies are due 3/21!!!!!

[/spoiler]

• Welcome to the world, baby Bloom! Congratulations @Lbloom and family! Thank you for the update. Will be continuing to think of you two and sending all the well wishes for baby Bloom's continued healthy development!
  • @Lbloom congratulations!  I'm so glad you were already at the hospital. So glad your little boy is here safely and sounds like he is doing so well. I understand you'll be a busy momma, but update us when you can with his and your progress!

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie - YeTq
  • Congratulations!!! So fortunate that you were already at hospital so he could be born in time! Wishing Baby Bloom a short NICU stay and no long term effects, hopefully!
  • Hello baby boy Bloom! So glad you were already at the hospital and that baby arrived safely. Sending good thoughts for a short NICU stay and take care of yourself! We’ll be thinking about you!! 
    *TW*
    Me: 38 DH: 41
    Married: 2016
    BFP #1 4/23/18, blighted ovum 5/29/18
    BFP#2 7/14/18, DS 4/5/19
  • Congrats and welcome baby boy! Take care and keep us posted when you can. 
    Dx: Non-IR PCOS
    Baby Girl K #1 Born 3/8/14
    Baby Girl K #2 EDD 3/3/19
  • Congratulations!!! As what others have said  fingers crossed for no extra complications and that he continues to do well! 
  • Congrats on baby boy!! I'll be praying for both of you, for continued strength and recovery, and as uncomplicated a NICU stay as possible for your little guy  <3