July 2019 Moms

35+ Mamas - December Checkin

How old are you? 

How are you feeling lately? 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? 

Any questions? 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? 

Re: 35+ Mamas - December Checkin

• :) I wondered where our "old ass mama" check in was  ;) 

How old are you? 41

How are you feeling lately? Up and down symptom-wise. It makes me a crazy person. Right now I am super bitchy though. 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? First visit was 11/19 - went great. Had an Ultrasound, saw & heard the heartbeat. I'm still nervous, but happy that it went well so far. 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? I have genetic blood work testing scheduled 12/13 and my next regular appointment Decemeber 27th. 

Any questions? Nope

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Hospital for a Repeat C-Section. I am not a candidate for a VBAC since my first C-section was caused due to "Failure to Progress". 
  • edited December 2018
    How old are you?  I will be 37 in 3 weeks!

How are you feeling lately? Like shit, lol.  Being pregnant with two LOs at home really sucks. My energy is sapped, my stomach is in knots most of the time, I can't eat anything. And my aversion to coffeeeeeee, ugh. I am remembering all the reasons I told myself I was done at 2:)

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? yes, we had an u/s and everything looked great. We saw the heartbeat. My next appt is right after xmas when I will be about 10.5 weeks. 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? yup. My insurance pays for it and why not? You can never be too informed or prepared. 

Any questions? nope!

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? a hospital, for sure. Give me all the drugs!
    Momma to Amelia Marie (7/14) and Austin Samuel (11/17). Adding baby (girl) #3 on 7/21  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • How old are you? 39...I'll be 40 in February 

How are you feeling lately? Sick. Oh so so so sick.

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? Yes. I've had 2 ultrasounds and my first prenatal. I have another US on the 10th and my first OB appointment on the 19th. Everything is looking great so far and we're measuring right on track to the day:)

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? I'm doing my NIPT on Monday and I'm going to ask if I can also have the NT done in the next few weeks.

Any questions? Not that I can think of right now:)

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Hospital. I'll be a RCS.
  • How old are you? 37

How are you feeling lately? Better than I have been, but overall just so exhausted.

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? Yes, first visit went well. Saw the baby and heard the heartbeat. I don't think it will be until after this next appointment that it will really start to be real.

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes. It's covered so why not. I'm trying to convince H to find out the gender. We've always been Team Green and I think he really likes the surprise. I'm a planner and think it would be fun to find out early this time.

Any questions? Is anyone else thinking of being Team Green?

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth?  Hospital for sure. I've had 3 c-sections already and my doctor said there isn't much data on vbac's after 3 sections. It's ok with me though. Like I said, I'm a planner so if I can plan my baby's birth day and make plans for the other 3 kids I'm all for that.
  • How old are you? 41

How are you feeling lately? Ok.  Nausea has kicked up a bit and I am pretty tired.  Tired of the chronic stuffy nose. 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go?  Had it 11/20.  I had an u/s and talked with a nurse practitioner.  Baby was measuring spot on with a strong heartbeat. 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes.  Genetic testing and u/s scheduled for 12/21. 

Any questions? No question-but answering that I am team green. 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth?  I will be giving birth in a hospital with a midwife. 
  • How old are you?  I’ll be 38 in 3 weeks 

How are you feeling lately? Physically good. I haven’t really had any morning sickness or sore boobs or anything. I’ve been tired, but that’s it. Emotionally, I’m a wreck. So freaking nervous and paranoid

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? I’m with a fertility clinic (IVF) so I’ve had several appts. Heard and saw HB at 6w1d then again at 7w1d. Everything looked perfect and right on track. I have my final appt with them this Thursday where I’ll be 9w4d and will hopefully graduate to a refular doc. I’ll get another ultrasound and they’ll check my progesterone to see if I can finally stop PIO. 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? That’s my plan. I just hope insurance will cover it due to age, prior MC, and 10 years TTC with no success until now

Any questions? Is anyone else absolutely losing their mind with worry?! 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? I’ll deliver in a hospital but am planning to use midwives vs an OB. I love the idea of a birthing center but am too chicken with this being my first 
  • How old are you? 
    How are you feeling lately? 
    Ugh.

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? 
    going tomorrow 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? 

I don’t know anything about them but I definitely want genetic testing. 

Any questions? 
    hoping to get some answers tomorrow and more questions. 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? 
    Hospital for sure, 3rd csection :/
  • How old are you? 34, Turning 35 on 12/17

How are you feeling lately? Pretty good. Slightly queezy only in an empty stomach, been working out 5-6 days a week, found a solution to the constipation (thank goodness for Metamucil!). 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? Yes, measured right in track (today I’m 8w7d). 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes, on 12/19. 

Any questions? What are some of the other optional genetic tests? If the NIPT (that’s the 10week+ test right?) comes back with no issues how many (and which) additional tests would you consider still getting?

GTKY: Choosing a hospital birth with a midwife.  
  • How old are you? 35

How are you feeling lately? Bitchy, exhausted, nauseous, but very excited that this is happening.

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? Last week! It went well! Baby measured right on track and had a HR of 165. It was so amazing to see and experience.

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes to both! I want as much information as soon as possible.

Any questions? Please excuse me if this is too personal, but is anyone else doing the NT/NIPT not just "to prepare"? I feel like everything I see mamas to be are quick to say "No results would change my mind" but there are some diseases that are really horrible and that SO and I would really have to think about. Am I the only one? It makes me feel like a bad mama already.

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Birthing center that is part of a hospital in case of any complications.
  • @literatureandink We are doing NIPT because the results do make a difference for us. So you are definitely not alone!

@CatWaffles I am worried, stressed, everything, 100% of the time. Constantly. No amount of ultrasounds seem to help with this for me:/

@ironcat2300 I think if everything from NT/NIPT comes back low risk I'm not sure there's any further testing that you need to do. I could be wrong...but I think you really only need to do more testing if the NT/NIPT warrant more testing. Maybe some people might opt for an amnio? But I'm not sure.
  • @literatureandink I am in the same boat as you. Getting tests in order to make informed decisions. It’s a tough topic. Thanks for bringing it up bc I think it’s on a lot of people’s minds. 

@Panaceia Thanks for the feedback 😁 There is so much to learn during the process!
  • @literatureandink, I’m seconding @Panaceia  —you are definitely not alone! Please don’t feel like a bad mom. We all have to make whatever decision we think is best for us and our embryo/fetus/child. For you (and me) that might mean making a tough decision after a test result. 
  • @literatureandink - us also. It’s okay and doesn’t make you a bad momma. It’s a horrible decision that I hope no one here has to make but it’s definitely a decision. After we lost our first son at 2.5 years, we won’t continue a pregnancy that is unlikely to be viable after delivered. It’s just not something we are willing to do to us or the babe. 
  • How old are you? 38, 39 in 3 weeks. A lot of Capricorn’s here, huh? 

How are you feeling lately? Awful. And grumpy. 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? I’ve had so many. Lol. All good so far. Tomorrow is my first with regular OB, graduated from RE. 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yep! 

Any questions? 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? 3rd c-section so hospital. This will be my first planned c-section and I sort of love the idea of picking a date.
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited December 2018

How old are you? 36

How are you feeling lately? Much better, less morning sickness and fatigue.

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? I went through IVF, so I've had weekly doctor visits for a while now

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes, although this embryo was genetically tested since I had so many unsuccessful IVF

Any questions? Yes, who the hell came up with the phrase "geriatric pregnancy"

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth?  Hospital. One of the city's best hospitals is less than a mile from my house, and it's a certified baby-friendly hospital. I had my daughter there and was extremely pleased with the whole ordeal

@literatureandink Right there with you.

@CatWaffles no, I'm not worried but only because it's my second pregnancy. My first I worried about EVERYTHING. I mean EVERYTHING. I bought a hand held Doppler so I could check to make sure my baby was alive and I took my blood pressure every day because I was so worried I'd get pre-eclampsia and not find out in time. I even fretted about using my electric blanket the first trimester because can electromagnetic waves cause miscarriages??? Seriously, everything. But nothing went wrong. So this time, I'm purposefully not worrying and trying to enjoy everything more. It's much easier once you know for a fact that your body can do it and that babies are really resilient.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • How old are you?   37, 38 next month *another Capricorn! @Happyin14

How are you feeling lately?  Like absolute garbage. I’m nauseous all day every day, my boobs are huge and sore, and I’m so tired esp taking care of my two little monsters. 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go?  First prenatal in 12/18, we already did sono, saw & heard heartbeat and baby is growing right on track :)

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT?   Yes, have apt on 1/2 planned @literatureandink yes, I feel ya girl. 

Any questions?   so, a company reached out to me to see if I’d be interested in working with them - which I totally am! Have been on 2 interviews and wondering if I should tell them I’m pregnant or let them know either after they make me an offer or even later like at 20 wks? 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Def hospital, bring on the epidural and fast!!
  • @fabcrab I'm interviewing for a job right now, and I'm not telling them until I get an offer. However, the job wouldn't start until Sept (it's a teachign position) so it wouldn't be a big deal. Legally, your pregnancy shouldn't be considered but that's not how it works in the real world. I would wait for an offer so that it doesn't affect their decision.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thanks @tsa208 that’s what I was thinking too. I worry if I wait till 20wks - which would be the last week of Feb - they’d be weird about my keeping it from them since clearly I knew during the entire interview process. I reeeeealy hope I get the job bc it has amazing benefits, like 3 months paid maternity :) Good luck with your new job too!
  • Thank you all so much for your honesty. I hope none of us have to deal with a decision like that but it is a very real thing and sometimes I feel like message boards diminish the seriousness of some of these horrible diseases/afflictions.
  • @fabcrab I agree with @tsa208 - While technically they can't hold a pregnancy against you, that's just not the way this world works, and they can always cover their discrimination with the old "someone else was a better fit". I hope you get it!! :smile:
  • @tsa208 What is a certified baby-friendly hospital? 
  • tsa208tsa208 member
    edited December 2018
    @tsa208 What is a certified baby-friendly hospital? 
    It's a designation administered by the World Health Organization and UNICEF means the hospital has implemented certain measures related to successful breastfeeding, like providing lactation consultants, allowing rooming in (where the baby stays with you instead of going to the nursery), and initiating breastfeeding within the first hour of birth. It's primarily around breastfeeding, but you'll find other things correlate with the baby friendly designation, like undisturbed first hour, promoting skin to skin, delayed cord cutting, etc. When my daughter was born, the team did a very quick physical check but almost immediately just placed her on my chest and let us be. They were careful to be very quiet and leave us alone to let us bond while they sewed and cleaned me up in the background. I almost forgot they were there! She did the crawl over to my breast and started feeding very quickly. Maybe an hour later, they took her and cleaned her up and administered any tests but they feel that first hour needs to be a calm moment between baby and mother as opposed to giving the baby a bath, apgar tests, pricking their feet for the blood test, administering the eye goop, etc. They still do that, just later.

Baby friendly hospitals are becoming more and more common, so if that's important to you, look for it or a hospital that is trying to get certified. Mine technically wasn't certified at the time I gave birth, but they were 95% there and got the certification later.

https://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/about/

If you don't want to breastfeed (and some women don't), I think it would be a bad experience though. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @fabcrab I hope you get the job, it would be awesome :) but I would look at the policies for when you would qualify for the benefits like 3 months of maternity leave. With my first I was at a company as a temp for 6 months, then hired on full time 2 months before I got pregnant. I was due in December and did not qualify for leave or benefits because you had to be there a full 12 months to qualify. 
  • @literatureandink I agree other posters you are not alone! I wasn't going to jump in but i figure i might as well and i wanted to answer your question: For us--it might be worthless since we already had the embryo tested--but if we hadn't we would be doing both tests without a doubt. i have to gather more information once i move to my OB. 

How old are you? 35

How are you feeling lately? blah

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? I did IVF so lots of appointments, i have my second ultrasound next Monday--good so far.

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? need to discuss with doctor the benefits since we had our embryos PGS tested.

Any questions? Anyone else feel super old when a 20 year old announces on here? I'm like whoa--i could be your mother (technically...)

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Birthing center at a hospital.  We'll see how things go, but the hospital has a birthing center and I would be super interested in a water birth if possible. But again, i need to learn more later in pregnancy, still hesitant to make many plans until we get a little further along.  
  • I will come back to finish reading and @ you ladies later. I have been so tired this week I can hardly keep up. 

How old are you? 36

How are you feeling lately? Mildly crummy, lump in throat nausea and serious food aversions but otherwise doing ok. I'll be 8w tomorrow, desperately hopeful that this is as bad as it gets for me. 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? Yep, but it was pretty anticlimactic. I met with the midwife who started the birthing center and talked about my medical and birthing history. We did blood draw and my progesterone is strong. Next week is my first US and I'm both excited and really nervous. 

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? I'm not. I've posted about this elsewhere and would be happy to discuss, but we just don't feel it necessary. 

Any questions? 

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? I'm using a midwifery group with a birthing center with hopes of a VBAC. It was between that and a hospital midwifery group nearby that offers doulas as a part of their birthing experience, but I am fearful of the strictness of hospital VBAC policies. If I have to switch for some reason, I will go to that group though. 
  • @indulgentgypsy yeah I thought about that too.  We haven't gotten to the compensation + benefits convo yet.  I only know about the maternity leave bc my friend who works there and is the one recommending me for the position told me when I told him I was preggo.  So we'll see what the fine print says... but fingers crossed bc I got ZERO maternity benefits with my first two babes.

@literatureandink for sure! I'm in the wine business so that makes it even messier.  I can and will taste wine but def cannot indulge, which is almost a requirement (some would say perk, lol!) There will also be travel involved - likely to France in the first year- in which I may not be able to attend if it's too late in the pregnancy or if its right after the baby is here.  So I'm keeping my mouth shut for now.  This is the last baby for us and I could likely work for this company for the next 10 years. 
  • How old are you? 39 will be 40 in April 

How are you feeling lately? Pretty wrecked, but nausea has eased the last few days so hoping to be done with it soon. Having a very hard time motivating to work out 😩

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? IVF mum here so have had several. Things are looking right on track so far :) next visit is on the 18th. 

Will you be doing NIPT? Yes! Funny story I just went to the diagnostic lab to have it done and the bitchy receptionist told me they only do it on certain days in the morning (which was not explained anywhere on their website) so the hormones took over and I spent some time chewing her out for absolutely no real reason, asking rhetorical questions and basically making her life difficult.  Ah well. 

Any questions? None at the moment. This is my second pregnancy and things seem quite familiar so far. 

Hospital/birthing center/home birth? Last time I had my doula and was ready to do a natural birth in the “water suite” at our hospital. Unfortunately things didn’t work out and had to have an emergency C. My OB I think does not support VBAC but I would really like to give it another try. 

Wishing everyone a great start to the week! 

• Anyone receive their NIPT results yet? I should get mine end of week.
  • @ladysamora I just hot mine done today so I'm hoping to get them back by the end of next week. When did you get yours done?
  • Hi Ladies!

How old are you? 37

How are you feeling lately? pretty good, just mostly tired in the evenings. nausea here and there, but not consistent.

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? met with our GP last week, pretty basic stuff. first u/s tomorrow, meeting with midwife next week. :smile:

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? yep!

Any questions? not yet :smile:

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? hospital birth with a midwife

• I was able to move up my NIPT to tomorrow! We should have results before Christmas when we hope to announce to family. Test tomorrow- then wait! So many waiting games in this whole pregnancy thing!! 
  • Had my NIPT yesterday and she said 2 weeks. REEEEAAAALLLLLYYYY hoping for results before Christmas so we can share the news with some weight off of our shoulders.

have the NT Scan on Friday as well. So a good chance we’d know a lot before Christmas. Fingers crossed!!!!! 
  • PanaceiaPanaceia member
    edited December 2018
    @Happyin14 I had my NIPT done on Monday so I'm sooooo hoping to get the results back next week. I'm not sure if my Dr is open on Xmas eve but that will be 2 weeks exactly so if I haven't heard by then I will definitely be calling!!! A few people I've heard of have had their back within a week so I'm hoping there is hope for us both:)

ETA I hope the NT goes well today! Post your US pics if you get some!
  • Got my NIPT results back! 5% fetal fraction. Negative all around and....having Boy number 4! 
  • How old are you? 40

How are you feeling lately? OLD Fat and Tired lol

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? Yes and it was good - strong heart beat at 7 weeks (154)

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes

Any questions? Anyone else have Anti-M

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Hospital 
  • I was literally typing up a comment to talk about how anxious I am waiting for the NIPT results... and my phone rings from the Midwife office. Everything came back fine!! I am so relieved- especially since we are telling the family next week. Team green- so keeping the gender a surprise!!! Thanks for listening and giving me a place to chat. ❤️
  • How old are you? 36

How are you feeling lately? Not too bad. A few days of nausea. But all in all okay 

Have you had your first prenatal visit? How did it go? Yes, saw a heart beat at 7w4d.

Will you be doing the NT/NIPT? Yes. I believe it's called IPS screening here in Canada.

Any questions? All of them. First time mom here.

GTKY: Are you choosing a hospital, birthing center or home birth? Hospital
  • @bb-by-jcb I'm in Canada too (Ontario). Which testing are you doing? I got the Panorama done on the 10th and I'm still waiting on results.
  •  @Panaceia Cool, I'm in Ottawa.
    I guess I don't know the actual name of the test. It will be a Integrated prenatal screening (IPS) ultrasound then two blood tests. Results will give me a numerical value of likelihood of Down syndrome, Trisomy 13 or Trisomy 18.
  • @bb-by-jcb Likely the NT scan and blood screen. That's standard here unless you will be 40 at the time of delivery...then the Panorama is covered so they skip to that. They'll probably tell you your NT measurement right there (they did for me with DD) so it helps to have at least some immediate feedback. Congratulations:)